Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Kick&ACatch » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:55 pm

oneuponedown wrote:With the report in the Sunday mail of a bumper snake season coming up , appears the Cobras have emerged from the cold and struck multiple times for 2017!

Anyone from Cove confirm?

Got some very handy pick ups thru a few ex players who were stand outs juniors for the club (Michael Galley , Ben Bird and Scott O'Shaughnessy being three that are confirmed already.) but theirs a possibility for more to follow.

Also heard of some guy who has been in the westies system for a while is also on board.... Cant Think of the name unfortunately :?

Hopefully with some of these moves we can be a more competitive 4 quarter team
Kick&ACatch
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby south4life » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Interesting night at SFL junior AGM with Flagstaff Hill proposing a under 16s and under 21s competition for next year. The proposal was formal and the club received it today and was brought up at the AGM for what appeared to be the first time. The main talking point was that now the under 18s is now under 17.5, that players that are 17.5 or older will not continue playing football in the league or maybe even give the game away all together. The under 21s comp would provide a comp for these players to play in until 21.

Smaller clubs wouldn't have an under 21s team given the struggle to sometimes just field a B grade team. This proposal is definitely designed for probably 3-4 clubs to retain players and stop them from going to other teams or leagues.

The league seemed to be in favour of the idea , from what I could tell from the way they were talking. It obviously makes financial sense for them as they will possibly retain more players in the league and gives them more funds for those players staying.

Obviously there is a lot to consider with this proposal but still I'd like to hear what people are thinking.
south4life
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby Dutchy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:52 pm

First I've heard of the u21 proposal, however I do know of players who were playing u16's last year will now be expected to play senior footy in 2017 if they want to stay in the SFL with the new 17.5 rule. Where they can go down the hill and still play U18's.

If the SFL want to remain a strong connection from juniors to seniors they need to do something other wise players will be lost.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby vics01 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:10 pm

Logic behind over age players in U18 was they were not ready for senior footy.. How does reducing the age improve this or will we still have 19 year olds playing 17.5 as they are not ready for senior footy?? Saying that it appears the helicopter/cotton wool parents are to blame for 19 year olds not being ready for senior footy.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby MatteeG » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:18 pm

vics01 wrote:Logic behind over age players in U18 was they were not ready for senior footy.. How does reducing the age improve this or will we still have 19 year olds playing 17.5 as they are not ready for senior footy?? Saying that it appears the helicopter/cotton wool parents are to blame for 19 year olds not being ready for senior footy.

Not really vics. At 19 I wasnt playing, but I was scrawny as all hell having just grown the best part of a foot in 12 months. I would have been annihilated at B grade level (especially back then (mid 90's)

Didnt start playing seniors until I was about 22 when I at least was 75kg wringing wet... 8)
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Dutchy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Some 17 & 18yo's could play senior footy, but at say Div 6 or 7 level in the Ammo's, the SFL B grade comp is still a very good comp amongst the top 8 clubs and not all can transition from a year out of u16's straight into it.

There are plenty of current A graders who only started playing good senior footy at 19/20.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Courtney Fish » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:Some 17 & 18yo's could play senior footy, but at say Div 6 or 7 level in the Ammo's, the SFL B grade comp is still a very good comp amongst the top 8 clubs and not all can transition from a year out of u16's straight into it.

There are plenty of current A graders who only started playing good senior footy at 19/20.

Back in my day our last year of juniors was under 17's then straight to seniors. We managed alright.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Courtney Fish » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:41 pm

south4life wrote:Interesting night at SFL junior AGM with Flagstaff Hill proposing a under 16s and under 21s competition for next year. The proposal was formal and the club received it today and was brought up at the AGM for what appeared to be the first time. The main talking point was that now the under 18s is now under 17.5, that players that are 17.5 or older will not continue playing football in the league or maybe even give the game away all together. The under 21s comp would provide a comp for these players to play in until 21.

Smaller clubs wouldn't have an under 21s team given the struggle to sometimes just field a B grade team. This proposal is definitely designed for probably 3-4 clubs to retain players and stop them from going to other teams or leagues.

The league seemed to be in favour of the idea , from what I could tell from the way they were talking. It obviously makes financial sense for them as they will possibly retain more players in the league and gives them more funds for those players staying.

Obviously there is a lot to consider with this proposal but still I'd like to hear what people are thinking.

If they cant break in to the B's at 21 I would say they would leave at 22 anyway. Although isn't that what the C Grade is for?

There's 2 problems and a solution in one paragraph. If you're not good enough to play senior footy at one club there's always a chance for a game elsewhere.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Dutchy wrote:First I've heard of the u21 proposal, however I do know of players who were playing u16's last year will now be expected to play senior footy in 2017 if they want to stay in the SFL with the new 17.5 rule. Where they can go down the hill and still play U18's.

If the SFL want to remain a strong connection from juniors to seniors they need to do something other wise players will be lost.

There should be no U/16s expected to play senior football next year, they will all be eligible for U/17.5

Not sure there would be much appetite for an U/21 competition, nothing to stop Flaggies or any other club nominating an U/21 team in the C-Grade competition.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:40 pm

Read my post, U16's from 2015 are now over aged next year.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Dutchy wrote:Read my post, U16's from 2015 are now over aged next year.

...and there are U18s from 2015 already playing senior football, ages do increase each year. What's your point?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby shoe boy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:38 am

[quote="south4life"]Interesting night at SFL junior AGM with Flagstaff Hill proposing a under 16s and under 21s competition for next year. The proposal was formal and the club received it today and was brought up at the AGM for what appeared to be the first time. The main talking point was that now the under 18s is now under 17.5, that players that are 17.5 or older will not continue playing football in the league or maybe even give the game away all together. The under 21s comp would provide a comp for these players to play in until 21.

Give the game away?
I would of thought they just follow the natural progression to play the next level and aspire to play at the highest level possible.

As for under 21 , why not 25 then mum , dad , nanna and poppa will be happy. ;)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby vics01 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:37 am

SB
Give the game away?
I would of thought they just follow the natural progression to play the next level and aspire to play at the highest level possible.

Unfortunately SB there are a lot of Soft C**** these days who have been told by their parent for the last 17 or 18 years "You don't have to do that, everybody is a winner"

Not sense of having to achieve.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby neverwas neverwillbe » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:20 am

vics01 wrote:
SB
Give the game away?

Unfortunately SB there are a lot of Soft C**** these days who have been told by their parent for the last 17 or 18 years "You don't have to do that, everybody is a winner"

Not sense of having to achieve.

Young lad at McLaren of a very small build applied for another year in senior colts. Got knocked back by the league and now regularly plays A grade. Still hasn't grown much either!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dingo took my baby.
neverwas neverwillbe
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Mister Footy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:40 am

Just heard that SFL legend and Happy Valley head trainer for the last 3 decades Hank Middleton has retired because he is seriously unwell. Reckon every club in the league has a player Hank has helped at when big injuries happen

Top bloke will be greatly missed around the club - raising a (light) beer for you Hank
=D> =D> =D>
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby afc9798 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:17 am

Mister Footy wrote:Just heard that SFL legend and Happy Valley head trainer for the last 3 decades Hank Middleton has retired because he is seriously unwell. Reckon every club in the league has a player Hank has helped at when big injuries happen

Top bloke will be greatly missed around the club - raising a (light) beer for you Hank
=D> =D> =D>

Hear, hear. Has been many people take potshots at him over the years due to him being pedantic about player safety. But for mine, hands down the most professional, caring and diligent bloke you could ever meet. Couldn't have had my boys in better hands than Hank and his team over the years. Hoping he recovers and that his legacy at the club is recognised. Always showed equal care for HVFC players and the opposition and was the first bloke there when something needed to be done. One of those blokes who would never sing his own praises, but I'm happy to. Cheers Hank, you are a legend.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby The Hound » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:35 am

Wineflies losing a key forward is what I am hearing
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:38 am

Mister Footy wrote:Just heard that SFL legend and Happy Valley head trainer for the last 3 decades Hank Middleton has retired because he is seriously unwell. Reckon every club in the league has a player Hank has helped at when big injuries happen

=D> =D> =D>

Geez he will leave a big hole at HV, hope he gets well soon.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Animus » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:42 am

The Hound wrote:Wineflies losing a key forward is what I am hearing

Also Nobes from Christies to Waikerie
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby RFC 2010 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:59 am

Animus wrote:
The Hound wrote:Wineflies losing a key forward is what I am hearing

Also Nobes from Christies to Waikerie

For a young guy, he is racking up a huge number of guernseys. Uncle would be proud!

He's only in his early 20's and already played at Reynella, Porties, Morphett Vale, Hackham, Christies and is now moving onto Waikerie. Fair effort!
RFC 2010
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL