Australian International Summer

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:11 am

carey wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Adelaide to host a D/N Ashes test next year, the only one of the series. December 2-6.
Also been given the Australia Day ODI against the Poms.

Get ****** Bradshaw :roll:

I'm confused, Wouldn't we be happy with this? I know I am.

Why should SA cricket fans be subjected to a ******* pink ball test match every year?? This year was far from ideal with the weather conditions with sitting in the stands more like during footy season.

Also a pink swinging ball plays into to visitors hands....we can't bat against it for shit!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby hawks21 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:08 am

SACA wants to make money $$$. 150-200,000 spectators over 4-5 days of cricket = big bucks!

I for one love it. The 2nd is a Saturday so there will be 50,000+ people at the ground for the first 2 days play - the atmosphere will be amazing!

Yes, it was a bit cool at night but take a jacket if you're cold.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby carey » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:31 am

heater31 wrote:
carey wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Adelaide to host a D/N Ashes test next year, the only one of the series. December 2-6.
Also been given the Australia Day ODI against the Poms.

Get ****** Bradshaw :roll:

I'm confused, Wouldn't we be happy with this? I know I am.

Why should SA cricket fans be subjected to a ******* pink ball test match every year?? This year was far from ideal with the weather conditions with sitting in the stands more like during footy season.

Also a pink swinging ball plays into to visitors hands....we can't bat against it for shit!

I love it and I think crowd numbers reflect the general public do as well. I thought the weather was fine I had no issues with it all.

As for the swinging Pink ball that's a fairly lame excuse, Get better at it during practice session!

Your normally pretty spot on with most things Heater but, on this occasion I reckon you're seriously in a minority of people against Day/Night test matches at Adelaide oval.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2802 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:50 am

I don't mind the pink ball swinging but I do believe it is an issue the massive difference between batting at day compared to at night
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:21 am

The only issue I have is that it starts on a Saturday. Much prefer the Thursday starts
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:22 am

Jim05 wrote:The only issue I have is that it starts on a Saturday. Much prefer the Thursday starts

This ^.

Saturday starts are poor scheduling IMO. People can always organise a Friday off, or get away early from work to get to the game, unlikely that many people will have Monday/Tuesday as a day off to go and, if like me, the day after to get over it. ;) :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby RB » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:44 am

I'm a traditionalist and I don't apologise for not liking night tests (I don't have a problem with night 50/50 or 20/20 matches) but I'm a little surprise that they'd have an Ashes test that'll be sold out either way as a day-nighter. I guess it shows how important TV ratings are.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:52 am

RB wrote:I'm a traditionalist and I don't apologise for not liking night tests (I don't have a problem with night 50/50 or 20/20 matches) but I'm a little surprise that they'd have an Ashes test that'll be sold out either way as a day-nighter. I guess it shows how important TV ratings are.

Wouldn't hurt that the 4pm break in play is at 6am England time either. Means lots of sets in the old dart will be tuned into the middle session of play on wards.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:24 pm

It the only argument against it is "It's tradition" it probably isn't a great argument
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:30 pm

bennymacca wrote:It the only argument against it is "It's tradition" it probably isn't a great argument

Cricket lovers are all about tradition and change ( read T20 bollocks ) doesn't sit well with cricket traditionalists. In cricket circles maintaining tradition IS a great argument.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Australian International Summer

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:37 pm

Cricket would likely be dead if traditionalists had their way. Tradition is important but it shouldn't be the only consideration.

The health of the game is surely more important than tradition
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:Cricket would likely be dead if traditionalists had their way. Tradition is important but it shouldn't be the only consideration.

The health of the game is surely more important than tradition

The "health" of the game is being taken care of ( off field anyway ) by T20, let some tradition remain in the best cricket has to offer. Test cricket.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:48 pm

So let test cricket die a slow death at the expense of t20? Yeah that will suit the traditionalists!

Day night cricket is sensational. It's still test cricket, yet it caters for fans in that you can watch more of it, both at the ground and on tv.

That brings more money to the game which is also sorely needed
bennymacca
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:52 pm

bennymacca wrote:So let test cricket die a slow death at the expense of t20? Yeah that will suit the traditionalists!

Day night cricket is sensational. It's still test cricket, yet it caters for fans in that you can watch more of it, both at the ground and on tv.

Why should Adelaide cricket fans have to go to a night cricket game every year? We have had 2 in 2 years now and if it continues to happen each year from now on I can tell you the novelty factor will wear pretty thin very quickly.

We saw a glimpse of what some cold weather did to those watching in the stands this year. They were all crows fans heading home early ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:So let test cricket die a slow death at the expense of t20? Yeah that will suit the traditionalists!

How the **** did you deduce that from my comments?

With T20 filling the coffers from those unable to concentrate for any longer than it takes to kill a whore in Grand Theft Auto you can afford to leave Test cricket as it is. I've been to day 1 of both D/N Tests, loved it, great stuff, but as heater duly notes there's no reason to make Adelaide THE D/N test of the series. No harm in holding onto some traditions.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:11 pm

Have less of a problem with it in places that don't get crowds, e.g. the Gabba.

However Adelaide over the last decade or so has attracted better crowds per capita than just about any test match in the world. For me having a night test here is like having the AFL GF, the Melbourne Cup or the Clipsal at night. Just not needed.
RB
Coach

Postby Grenville » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:13 pm

Booney wrote:

With T20 filling the coffers from those unable to concentrate for any longer than it takes to kill a whore in Grand Theft Auto you can afford to leave Test cricket as it is. I've been to day 1 of both D/N Tests, loved it, great stuff, but as heater duly notes there's no reason to make Adelaide THE D/N test of the series. No harm in holding onto some traditions.

Don't bother Booney, some people just don't get it.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:12 pm

Booney wrote:

Great post mate!!

While I don't mind the day night test match I do love tradition and there is nothing more traditional than a day test match
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:13 pm

Talk Chadd Sayers to debut Lyon to be dropped
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:18 pm

Harsh on Lyon if true given his record at the Gabba. I guess a) Pakistani players are unlikely to be seriously troubled by off spinners and b) conditions at the Gabba are expected to suit seam bowlers. Nevertheless it's always a big call not to go in without a spinner.
RB
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket