Australian International Summer

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:48 pm

Maybe they took the odds after Shafiq got out?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:48 pm

Very very lucky Australia.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:48 pm

Booney wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:You f**king beauty Smudge what a way to finish!

Makes up for the dropped catches. :D

Thank f**k his dropped catches didn't cost us, made up for them with that brilliance.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10331 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:wasnt even close. great bit of fielding but that was a bit average

Booney wrote:They're dead set heartless on the cricket field, don't try and tell me any different.

Australian cricket team says hi.

(as to the windies)

Yeah, yeah, sure Ted.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:57 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:wasnt even close. great bit of fielding but that was a bit average

Booney wrote:They're dead set heartless on the cricket field, don't try and tell me any different.

Australian cricket team says hi.

(as to the windies)

Yeah, yeah, sure Ted.

Australian cricket has been many things over the years, but heartless isn't one of them
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Crap pitch, crap test match.. dont know how people this it was a great test match - a humiliating collapse by Pakistan first innings, a friendly declaration by Smith, and then Pakistan hitting 450 on days 4/5 with the pitch looking as flat and good to bat on as it did at the start of the test!

Sack the curator.

The win by the aussies will only serve to sweep concerns under the rug - Maddinson's failures with the bat, Lyon's flat, fast T20 style bowling, Wade still an annoying keeper who thinks everything is out :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:10 pm

Booney wrote:
They're dead set heartless on the cricket field, don't try and tell me any different.

WTF? DIdn't you watch them bat in the last 24 hours?

They were No. 1 in the test rankings 3 months ago!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:11 pm

Paki's will take more out of this match that Aussies, despite the loss. Batting is their weak link yet they showed they have upside in that 2nd dig.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
They're dead set heartless on the cricket field, don't try and tell me any different.

Sure, I watched the last 24 hours, you've missed the last 24 years then?

As for being #1, they beat up on the sides but the ones that count.

Pakistan in Australia Test Series 2009/10 Australia 3-0 (3)
MCC Spirit of Cricket Test Series (Australia, Pakistan in England) 2010 drawn 1-1 (2)

Pakistan in England Test Series 2010 England 3-1 (4)
Pakistan v South Africa Test Series (in United Arab Emirates) 2010/11 drawn 0-0 (2)
Pakistan in New Zealand Test Series 2010/11 Pakistan 1-0 (2)
Pakistan in West Indies Test Series 2011 drawn 1-1 (2)
Pakistan in Zimbabwe Test Match 2011 Pakistan 1-0 (1)
Pakistan v Sri Lanka Test Series (in United Arab Emirates) 2011/12 Pakistan 1-0 (3)
Pakistan in Bangladesh Test Series 2011/12 Pakistan 2-0 (2)
Pakistan v England Test Series (in United Arab Emirates) 2011/12 Pakistan 3-0 (3)
Pakistan in Sri Lanka Test Series 2012 Sri Lanka 1-0 (3)
Pakistan in South Africa Test Series 2012/13 South Africa 3-0 (3)
Pakistan in Zimbabwe Test Series 2013 drawn 1-1 (2)
Pakistan v South Africa Test Series (in United Arab Emirates) 2013/14 drawn 1-1 (2)
Pakistan v Sri Lanka Test Series (in United Arab Emirates) 2013/14 drawn 1-1 (3)
Pakistan in Sri Lanka Test Series 2014 Sri Lanka 2-0 (2)
Pakistan v Australia Test Series (in United Arab Emirates) 2014/15 Pakistan 2-0 (2)
Pakistan v New Zealand Test Series (in United Arab Emirates) 2014/15 drawn 1-1 (3)
Pakistan in Bangladesh Test Series 2015 Pakistan 1-0 (2)
Pakistan in Sri Lanka Test Series 2015 Pakistan 2-1 (3)
Pakistan v England Test Series (in United Arab Emirates) 2015/16 Pakistan 2-0 (3)
Pakistan in England Test Series 2016 drawn 2-2 (4)
Pakistan v West Indies Test Series (in United Arab Emirates) 2016/17 Pakistan 2-1 (3)
Pakistan in New Zealand Test Series 2016/17 New Zealand 2-0 (2)

Bold, when they've played the teams who count since 2010. Under lined when they've won.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:17 pm

RustyCage wrote:
Australian cricket has been many things over the years, but heartless isn't one of them

our batting has been pretty woeful for a long time and lacked the required application. renshaw khawaja and handscombe seem to have bucked that trend but its a long time overdue if they do
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Grenville » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:32 pm

Smith has just played his get out of jail free card, very very lucky. Very average Test as a skipper. Ideally he would have a couple of old heads to turn to for a bit of advice, unfortunately his sounding boards are dickheads like Warner and Wade.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Grenville » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:46 pm

bennymacca wrote:
RustyCage wrote:

our batting has been pretty woeful for a long time and lacked the required application. renshaw khawaja and handscombe seem to have bucked that trend but its a long time overdue if they do

And when Renshaw knuckled down in Adelaide he was jeered by his own supporters. The hit and giggle mentality is well and truly entrenched in the minds of an increasing number of cricket 'followers'.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:11 pm

How do you think Hanscomb has performed since coming into the side? I think he's fitted right in and taken off as if he has been in the side for 2 years. I am really excited to see how he goes. What are his positives and his negatives as a batsman? What number would he be best coming in at?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby am Bays » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:15 pm

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:18 pm

am Bays wrote:Unchanged 12 for Boxing day, at this stage (pending recovery of bowlers)

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/australia-test-squad-boxing-day-test-pakistan-steve-smith-nic-maddinson/2016-12-19

If so, Maddinson will be very lucky. I reckon it'll be his last shot.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Dutchy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Oh Im judging them on their performances this year not the last 24 years, silly me.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby am Bays » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Oh Im judging them on their performances this year not the last 24 years, silly me.

24 years ago, well 22.5, Inze and Mustaq put on 70 odd at Karachi to win a Test Match chasing 315.

Best description of Pakistan is that they are enigmatic, they lose the shocking but then win the impossible
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Grahaml » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:33 pm

Definitely some good signs for the Aussies IMHO. Might have ended up closer than expected, but our entire second innings was played under the premise that it was about the declaration. As for the timing, I think it was reasonable enough. With weather around and wanting to maximise the number of overs with the Pakis under the most pressure (ie, session 3) I think it worked well enough. That the game went as far as it did was simply down to some luck (Hazlewood bowled one of the great zero wicket spells), some bad fielding and quite a lot of impatience. The third is understandable given how bad things felt only a few weeks ago.

But I think we've finally showed an all rounder is a near total waste of time. I never got the impression we needed another seamer and Bird should finally get an extended crack at it. Someone here tried to say he's just a clone of Hazlewood. If he were I'd take him in the side but I'm guessing now that person has actually seen them both bowl he won't be eager to repeat that piece of comedy.

Batting wise, Handscomb can't have done more and Renshaw is really showing something. Especially being a guy who can field at first slip. Given our selection record I'm sure when Shaun Marsh is fit they'll look to get him in, but I'd be looking for ways to keep Renshaw around. Reckon he's got something worth persisting with. Number 6 is a concern still, but now that we've got Maddinson there we've got to stick with him. A culture where blokes can lose a spot right away does nothing to let blokes just play. Personally I think the spot should still be Ferguson's but the decision has been made.

Pakis will feel good about themselves but there's more to feel good about from our pespective. Aside the obvious fact we won, they only took 15 wickets while our bowlers created a heck of a lot of chances. There were many times this game (until we started looking desperate) that they really struggled against our quicks. Even when set, Shafiq (a good knock but the MOTM decision was a joke) nicked off as soon as Starc went back to just bowling properly. Certainly won't get dropped like that too often in his career. The simple fact that their bowlers lacked the same threat ours did should be more than enough reason to feel confident going into boxing day.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:04 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Well, if you'd judged them on the 24 hours prior to that then my assessment would have been right. Their 1st innings was awful, other than the last 2 they showed no fight at all. Perhaps I should have said "historically they are heartless". I'll grant you they fought on Sunday, for one day. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:30 am

Honestly if we held our catches the game would have been done by the end of day 4.

Honestly Wade needs to be looked at. The number of stumpings that he missed in this one test alone still suggests hes not up to it at this point.

Seriously his keeping was putting more pressure on Lyon. When the Pakis were attacking him he gets one past the and then when the keeper fumbles it and misses the stumping it would be pretty deflating.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket