Port Adelaide 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Postby Spargo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:44 pm

Ruben Carter wrote:
Spargo wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Boak announced as Skipper for 2017, his 5th season as captain.

Ollie Wines announced vice-captain, with Brad Ebert, Hamish Hartlett, Tom Jonas & Jackson Trengove rounding out the 2017 leadership team.

Hamish Hartlett, really?

Poor choice IMO. What does Robbie Gray have to do to get a leadership gig?

Obviously getting the sooks & shopping yourself around helps.
Even if Wines is the next captain, surely Gray is in the leadership group before the others named.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5483 times
Been liked: 5122 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Spargo wrote:
Ruben Carter wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Ollie Wines announced vice-captain, with Brad Ebert, Hamish Hartlett, Tom Jonas & Jackson Trengove rounding out the 2017 leadership team.

Hamish Hartlett, really?

Obviously getting the sooks & shopping yourself around..... and sleeping with the captains missus helps.
Even if Wines is the next captain, surely Gray is in the leadership group before the others named.

EFA ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:08 pm

Ruben Carter wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Hamish Hartlett, really?

Play for the team would be a good start as could whinegard
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby LPH » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:39 pm

Dutchy wrote:Port made a $14k Profit in 2016, not sure it has been mentioned yet.

Kochie is pretty 'cluey' when it comes to investments - that will get them 1000 Chiquita Shares... ;)
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:57 am

Spargo wrote:
Ruben Carter wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Hamish Hartlett, really?

The best players aren't always the best leaders, Gray has only once, IIRC, been in the leadership group and that's when we had about 8 in it.

Hartlett didn't shop himself around, the club did and all the meetings Hartlett had with other clubs made it clear he wasn't going to be going anywhere.

There is no way Gray is in ahead of Trengove, Ebert or Jonas.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby stan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:18 am

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Ruben Carter wrote:
Spargo wrote:[quote="valleys07"]Boak announced as Skipper for 2017, his 5th season as captain.

Hamish Hartlett, really?

The best players aren't always the best leaders, Gray has only once, IIRC, been in the leadership group and that's when we had about 8 in it.

Hartlett didn't shop himself around, the club did and all the meetings Hartlett had with other clubs made it clear he wasn't going to be going anywhere.

There is no way Gray is in ahead of Trengove, Ebert or Jonas.[/quote]
Mate that maybe the case but Tom Jonas as a leader?

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt he miss 5 odd games for a late hit?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:25 am

We all know leadership, especially in the AFL world, is about setting standards off the field as much as on it.

He missed 6, one moment in time that he regrets and from what I understand the way he carried himself off field after that moment was top notch.

You don't hang a bloke out for one moment in time. This is his third year in our leadership group, he must be doing more right than wrong.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Ruben Carter » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:27 am

Ollie Wines announced vice-captain, with Brad Ebert, Hamish Hartlett, Tom Jonas & Jackson Trengove rounding out the 2017 leadership team.[/quote]
Hamish Hartlett, really?[/quote]
Poor choice IMO. What does Robbie Gray have to do to get a leadership gig?[/quote]
Even if Wines is the next captain, surely Gray is in the leadership group before the others named.[/quote]

There is no way Gray is in ahead of Trengove, Ebert or Jonas.[/quote]
Mate that maybe the caee but Tom Jonas as a leader?

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt he miss 5 odd games for a late hit?[/quote]

I get that, but I've never seen anything on field or heard of anything off field to suggest Robbie wouldn't be an inspirational leader. I hope it's only because he has no leadership ambitions, because IMO I'd rate him ahead of Trengove, Hartlett and Jonas FWIW.
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:29 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Ruben Carter wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Hamish Hartlett, really?

He's only your best player by 10 miles!
Leads by his actions on field so why not make him VC.

Is there a rule that says the captain must be the best player? Is Mundy Freo's best player? Is Cotchin Richmonds best? Is Davis GWS'? Is Hurn West Coasts best?

I think you need to watch Gray's body language closer on field and see how often the club puts him forward for media off field.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:39 am

Just because Gray's not in the official leadership group doesn't mean he doesn't lead by example on and off the field. I'm sure he's a key role model for the younger up and coming players at the club. From my viewpoint he's developed from a good player to an elite one. Giving someone the title 'leader' doesn't make you one, and you don't have to rant and rave like you're in charge to have a positive effect on others.

Leadership groups are the footy equivalent of corporate middle management IMHO, the side-effect of having people with MBAs infiltrating footy clubs in today's 'professional' footy environment. Probably easier to get into one than to get out.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 am

Is there a rule that says the captain must be the best player? Is Mundy Freo's best player? Is Cotchin Richmonds best? Is Davis GWS'? Is Hurn West Coasts best?

I think you need to watch Gray's body language closer on field and see how often the club puts him forward for media off field.[/quote]

I agree........ but what part of VC didn't you understand?
Gray is no captain but IMO he'd make a good VC.

I know the criteria for leadership has changed these days but surely you still need someone who shows some emotions on field as a leader still.

And Hombsch is a far better leader and player than that plodder Jonas also.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:01 am

Booney wrote:We all know leadership, especially in the AFL world, is about setting standards off the field as much as on it.

He missed 6, one moment in time that he regrets and from what I understand the way he carried himself off field after that moment was top notch.

You don't hang a bloke out for one moment in time. This is his third year in our leadership group, he must be doing more right than wrong.

What did he do that was top notch?
Show a bit of remorse?
He should have been penalised and stood down this year from the leadership group and if warranted he comes back in next year.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:04 am

I agree with Booney :shock: :shock:

I met Trengove, Hartlett and Gray last year when they come to do a coaching session with a team I coach. While it was only an hour Hartlett and Trengove were both very impressive with how they mixed with the kids and the parents. Gray was pretty quiet and while he was great with the kids individually he let the others do the talking to the wider group and was happy to sit back. It was only a small snapshot obviously however I get the feeling Gray is jsut happy to go about his business quietly without having the formal leader tag.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:08 am

Dutchy wrote:I agree with Booney :shock: :shock:

I met Trengove, Hartlett and Gray last year when they come to do a coaching session with a team I coach. While it was only an hour Hartlett and Trengove were both very impressive with how they mixed with the kids and the parents. Gray was pretty quiet and while he was great with the kids individually he let the others do the talking to the wider group and was happy to sit back. It was only a small snapshot obviously however I get the feeling Gray is jsut happy to go about his business quietly without having the formal leader tag.

Funny how we gauge people though coz I had a similar experience with Lobbe, Hartlett, Gray....... and Gray was by far the most outspoken and interactive with the kids.
Hartlett on the other hand was like a stale bottle of piss!
Each to their own though.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:14 am

Ruben Carter wrote:I get that, but I've never seen anything on field or heard of anything off field to suggest Robbie wouldn't be an inspirational leader. I hope it's only because he has no leadership ambitions, because IMO I'd rate him ahead of Trengove, Hartlett and Jonas FWIW.

In terms of Leadership qualities, Jackson Trengove covers Robbie Gray by the length of the Flemington.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dutchy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:16 am

I actually had a bad impression of Hartlett going in as a mate of mine told me what a dickhead he was.

Leadership is a seperate skill from your football ability, to think it is simple as the best player is your captain is dillusional.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:19 am

Dutchy wrote:I actually had a bad impression of Hartlett going in as a mate of mine told me what a dickhead he was.

Leadership is a seperate skill from your football ability, to think it is simple as the best player is your captain is dillusional.

So was he a dickhead? ;)

We all agree your best player doesn't have to be your captain but should your best player be in an extended leadership group?
I say 'YES' to this.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:27 am

amber_fluid wrote:I agree........ but what part of VC didn't you understand?

I know the criteria for leadership has changed these days but surely you still need someone who shows some emotions on field as a leader still.

Well your opinion differs considerably from the people who make the decision and if you haven't got Wines as your Vice Captain you're wrong, twice. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:31 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:I agree........ but what part of VC didn't you understand?

Well your opinion differs considerably from the people who make the decision and if you haven't got Wines as your Vice Captain you're wrong, twice. ;)

Mate he's going home anyway whether you make him VC or even captain ;)
You can have 2 VC's these days as well.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:35 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Dutchy wrote:I actually had a bad impression of Hartlett going in as a mate of mine told me what a dickhead he was.

So was he a dickhead? ;)

We all agree your best player doesn't have to be your captain but should your best player be in an extended leadership group?
I say 'YES' to this.

Dane Swan the leader :shock:
Ben Cousins the leader, there was no issues there...
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL