Australian International Summer

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer

Postby bennymacca » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:25 am

amber_fluid wrote:
bennymacca wrote:why not pick head to give you some overs. Why does it have to be seam up?

The alrounder won't bowl much anyway so why not play Head at 6 who is a better batter and he can bowl you 10 overs if required.

yep, with our bowling attack, its not as if the 5th bowler needs to bowl 20+.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:35 am

bennymacca wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
bennymacca wrote:why not pick head to give you some overs. Why does it have to be seam up?

The alrounder won't bowl much anyway so why not play Head at 6 who is a better batter and he can bowl you 10 overs if required.

yep, with our bowling attack, its not as if the 5th bowler needs to bowl 20+.

The 4th ( Lyon ) didn't bowl that many!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby stan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Also Smith can bowl as well. Stralange he didnt bowl much in the last but he does have the potential to get a few overs done.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Must be east coast favouritism again....... Oh wait a sec it's just the anti sa element

*i don't agree with the Cartwright selection
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:52 am

stan wrote:Also Smith can bowl as well. Stralange he didnt bowl much in the last but he does have the potential to get a few overs done.

Smith has been very reluctant to bowl himself since he was appointed captain. I'm not sure why. He needs to be encouraged to bowl more often.

It can't be to conserve energy, the prick never stands still!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Trader » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:57 am

While I don't buy the argument we must pick an allrounder, I do see it as an easy way to "drop" maddinson without actually dropping him.
Talk about bowlers work rate, then replace him with an "allrounder" who averages more with the bat than maddinson, and doesn't really bowl much.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby stan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:00 am

Booney wrote:
stan wrote:Also Smith can bowl as well. Stralange he didnt bowl much in the last but he does have the potential to get a few overs done.

Smith has been very reluctant to bowl himself since he was appointed captain. I'm not sure why. He needs to be encouraged to bowl more often.

It can't be to conserve energy, the prick never stands still!

Correct weight there. Smiths bowling has actually improved in the last few years that he is a handy part timer.

He has 17 test wickets @51, Whislt not setting the world on fire, worth a few overs ow and again.

In india he should give himself a few to support Lyon a bit.
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:02 am

Trader wrote:While I don't buy the argument we must pick an allrounder, I do see it as an easy way to "drop" maddinson without actually dropping him.
Talk about bowlers work rate, then replace him with an "allrounder" who averages more with the bat than maddinson, and doesn't really bowl much.

I think the selectors were hoping that Head really got going this season. If he was smashing the door down averaging 45+ with the bat then they would pick him striaght away as he provides the No.6 who is a genuine bat but also more than handy with some part timer off spin.
stan
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:24 pm

stan wrote:
Trader wrote:While I don't buy the argument we must pick an allrounder, I do see it as an easy way to "drop" maddinson without actually dropping him.

I think the selectors were hoping that Head really got going this season. If he was smashing the door down averaging 45+ with the bat then they would pick him striaght away as he provides the No.6 who is a genuine bat but also more than handy with some part timer off spin.

Problem with Head is he looks all at sea against spin.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby am Bays » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:25 pm

stan wrote:

M Waugh said on Inside Cricket after the Hobart test that there isn't really any batsman banging the door down with a weight of runs. the two blokes who have really stood up over the past year really are Handscomb (shield final in particular) and Renshaw (to a lesser extent but stood up when it counted)

You could throw a blanket over the rest, Patterson, Maddinson, Ferguson, Head, Bancroft, Harris etc

Blokes like Stonis, Burns, Doolan etc have fallen away

White, Bailey, Voges, Christian too old

You could argue that blokes like Dean, Harris, Lehman, Weatherald etc the selectors would liek to see another year of consistant run making to get a shot at it.

In many ways, and this was admitted by Waugh, Maddinson was a speculation pick (gut feel so to speak) Better cricket brains than us on here think he has the ability to make it so was picked more on potential rather than performance as no one else really has the performance to warrant selection over him (save maybe Patterson). Cartwight in the same boat too.

This would be different if we had three or four blokes banging out back to back to back 800-1000 run 1st class seasons like we did in the 90s (Cox, Siddons, Lehmann, Law etc) deamnding to be picked.

No one is really doing it ATM
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby westozfalcon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:15 pm

Dogmatic wrote:I would have preferred James Faulkner than Cartwright.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/270484.html

I agree. If you're looking for an allrounder you can't go past James Faulkner.

His fielding skills are superb too which fits perfectly within the Aussie team's skills sets. I've never seen a better fielder off his own bowling than Faulkner. A batsman will never hit a straight drive past him.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby hawks21 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:40 am

am Bays wrote:
stan wrote:

M Waugh said on Inside Cricket after the Hobart test that there isn't really any batsman banging the door down with a weight of runs. the two blokes who have really stood up over the past year really are Handscomb (shield final in particular) and Renshaw (to a lesser extent but stood up when it counted)

You could throw a blanket over the rest, Patterson, Maddinson, Ferguson, Head, Bancroft, Harris etc

Blokes like Stonis, Burns, Doolan etc have fallen away

White, Bailey, Voges, Christian too old

You could argue that blokes like Dean, Harris, Lehman, Weatherald etc the selectors would liek to see another year of consistant run making to get a shot at it.

In many ways, and this was admitted by Waugh, Maddinson was a speculation pick (gut feel so to speak) Better cricket brains than us on here think he has the ability to make it so was picked more on potential rather than performance as no one else really has the performance to warrant selection over him (save maybe Patterson). Cartwight in the same boat too.

This would be different if we had three or four blokes banging out back to back to back 800-1000 run 1st class seasons like we did in the 90s (Cox, Siddons, Lehmann, Law etc) deamnding to be picked.

No one is really doing it ATM

I think Bancroft is the disappointing one. Selectors had big things planned for him 12 months ago but he was fallen away. Might have missed his chance with Renshaw doing so well.

Trav Head just needs to turn his starts into 100's and he'll be picked IMO. His shield scores this year have been 66, 43, 37, 34, 130, 52 plus his decent ODI games. Still a massive chance to go to India i reckon!
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:56 am

What are everyone's opinion in the current ICC Team of the Year? I know it's based on stats. But having Steve Smith carrying the drinks is a bit poor. Plus I haven't seen too many Indian batters picked at the top either.

ICC Test team of the year 2016:

1. David Warner (Australia)
2. Alastair Cook (England) (captain)
3. Kane Williamson (New Zealand)
4. Joe Root (England)
5. Adam Voges (Australia)
6. Jonny Bairstow (England) (wicketkeeper)
7. Ben Stokes (England)
8. R. Ashwin (India)
9. Rangana Herath (Sri Lanka)
10. Mitchell Starc (Australia)
11. Dale Steyn (South Africa)
12. Steve Smith (Australia)
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Bandit » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:02 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:What are everyone's opinion in the current ICC Team of the Year? I know it's based on stats. But having Steve Smith carrying the drinks is a bit poor. Plus I haven't seen too many Indian batters picked at the top either.

ICC Test team of the year 2016:

1. David Warner (Australia)
2. Alastair Cook (England) (captain)
3. Kane Williamson (New Zealand)
4. Joe Root (England)
5. Adam Voges (Australia)
6. Jonny Bairstow (England) (wicketkeeper)
7. Ben Stokes (England)
8. R. Ashwin (India)
9. Rangana Herath (Sri Lanka)
10. Mitchell Starc (Australia)
11. Dale Steyn (South Africa)
12. Steve Smith (Australia)

Well Voges for one is a joke... basing it on stats is biased towards teams that played the easy beats (ie voges having a good summer vs NZ and WI last yr).
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:35 am

Farcical.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:39 am

Smith is the number 1 batsman in the world and doesn't get in the team of the year?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:40 am

You either love him or hate him. But I think Kohli got a bit shafted there. He has to be up there with the best.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:41 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Smith is the number 1 batsman in the world and doesn't get in the team of the year?

Exactly the point Im trying to make. I know the team is picked on stats made in that calendar year. But come on there are blokes taking plenty of runs and taking plenty of wickets that aren't even mentioned. Someone in the selectors must love the Poms.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:48 am

The funniest thing about the ICC Test and ODI teams of the year is the butt hurt comments from Indians on Social Media complaining about Kohli not being in the test team and no Dhoni in the ODI team. Also they complained about there being too many English players in the test side, they get real nasty about it lol, I get a good laugh out of reading them.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:56 am

The Dark Knight wrote:The funniest thing about the ICC Test and ODI teams of the year is the butt hurt comments from Indians on Social Media complaining about Kohli not being in the test team and no Dhoni in the ODI team. Also they complained about there being too many English players in the test side, they get real nasty about it lol, I get a good laugh out of reading them.

I don't like the bloke (Kohli) that much but respect that he is one of the best batsman going around. I think if everyone was to pick their own version on the best Test side for that year, it wouldn't be based on just stats alone.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket