Biggest and smallest ovals around the state

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Biggest and smallest ovals around the state

Postby Ditchy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:32 pm

Continuing discussion from divvy 5 about biggest and smallest ovals that everyone has played on.

Thought I'd start the topic based on my experiences of big and small ovals. Good to hear from others and there experiences

Played in the North East FL for Blyth/Snowtown, Riverland FL for Barmera, Spencer Gulf FL for Central Augusta, Barossa FL for Tanunda and a stint in the Mid West FL at Tumby Bay after finishing in the city. 5 country leagues.

Snowtown in the North East FL and Willaston in Barossa FL are the biggest country grounds I've played on.
St Clair is the biggest in the city I've played on other than at Elizabeth.

After playing at Footy Park, Alberton, and St Marys they are all roughly the same size IMO. Out of the other ovals I've played on Thebarton
is a real good size. The one that everyone forgets is Woodville Oval. That's very long and perhaps the longest of all the ovals but not wide

Smallest in the city - Plympton, Seaton, Hope Valley, Goodwood, Portland, Kingswood
Ditchy

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Re: Biggest and smallest ovals around the state

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:37 pm

I reckon Walkerville is smaller than all of them..LOL
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby carey » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Ovingham used to be seriously small.

Always thought Salisbury was a fair size.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:49 pm

Burnside Kensington, Ovingham, Walkerville all postage stamps.

Thought Mitcham and Hope Valley are very similar.

I will throw a spanner in the works, I saw a site the other day and according to some debate on that Elizabeth isn't the biggest SANFL ground going around. I don't think that but interesting reading. It says Noarlunga is the biggest...

http://www.austadiums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2084
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby mighty hounds » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:16 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I reckon Walkerville is smaller than all of them..LOL

BOS and Walkies would be similar in size BOS felt a bit smaller than walkies imo.

I'd be surprised if any oval was smaller than one of the oval Hummocks Watchman use at Port Wakefield. Balaklava would be up there for one of the biggest
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:25 pm

mighty hounds wrote:

BOS and Walkies would be similar in size BOS felt a bit smaller than walkies imo.

I'd be surprised if any oval was smaller than one of the oval Hummocks Watchman use at Port Wakefield. Balaklava would be up there for one of the biggest

That'd be deceiving then, maybe because BOS is surrounded by Parklands, I thought it was pretty wide though.

Right, everyone go measure their ovals so we can sort this out for good :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Ditchy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:52 pm

mighty hounds wrote:

Heard that Port Wakefield Oval was big but they were out in the Adelaide Plains FL. I wasn't stationed in that area for work. Played in surrounding leagues in the NE FL and the Barossa FL. There was lots of talk from other players about Port Wakefield Oval being bloody big but I never actually played on it or have seen it. Never seen Walkerville or BOS ovals either so can't comment on them being small
Ditchy

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:14 pm

Ditchy wrote:Continuing discussion from divvy 5 about biggest and smallest ovals that everyone has played on.

Thought I'd start the topic based on my experiences of big and small ovals. Good to hear from others and there experiences

Played in the North East FL for Blyth/Snowtown, Riverland FL for Barmera, Spencer Gulf FL for Central Augusta, Barossa FL for Tanunda and a stint in the Mid West FL at Tumby Bay after finishing in the city. 5 country leagues.

Snowtown in the North East FL and Willaston in Barossa FL are the biggest country grounds I've played on.

After playing at Footy Park, Alberton, and St Marys they are all roughly the same size IMO. Out of the other ovals I've played on Thebarton
is a real good size. The one that everyone forgets is Woodville Oval. That's very long and perhaps the longest of all the ovals but not wide

Smallest in the city - Plympton, Seaton, Hope Valley, Goodwood, Portland, Kingswood

willaston not even the biggest in Barossa, Nuri has it covered. Would have thought Riverton would be right up there too from the NEFL
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:49 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Ditchy wrote:Continuing discussion from divvy 5 about biggest and smallest ovals that everyone has played on.

willaston not even the biggest in Barossa, Nuri has it covered. Would have thought Riverton would be right up there too from the NEFL

Riverton is unbelievably big! More of a circle than an oval.
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:20 am

Ditchy wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

Heard that Port Wakefield Oval was big but they were out in the Adelaide Plains FL. I wasn't stationed in that area for work. Played in surrounding leagues in the NE FL and the Barossa FL. There was lots of talk from other players about Port Wakefield Oval being bloody big but I never actually played on it or have seen it. Never seen Walkerville or BOS ovals either so can't comment on them being small

Port Wakefield is definitely not big. The oval is part of the primary school there. The other oval they use at Lochiel is decent but even that isn't the biggest in the APFL. Balaklava easily have the biggest oval in the comp
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:12 am

mighty hounds wrote:
Ditchy wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

Port Wakefield is definitely not big. The oval is part of the primary school there. The other oval they use at Lochiel is decent but even that isn't the biggest in the APFL. Balaklava easily have the biggest oval in the comp

I found Port Wakefield and Lochiel to be the two smallest ovals in the APFL, Balaklava Oval has a neverending pocket, ViriginIa is large and Long Plains is deceivingly wide.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:58 am

Riverton oval has to be up there.

Morgan was pretty big too
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:08 am

Glandore Oval is probably the smallest I've seen.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:26 am

Anyone play at the old STA ground at Regency in the 90's? Where Coopers Brewery now is. Would have been 140m long tops, both 50m arc's came well into the centre square.

In the SFL Bice Oval at Christies is the biggest with Cove the smallest (short but very wide)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:54 am

Dutchy wrote:Anyone play at the old STA ground at Regency in the 90's? Where Coopers Brewery now is. Would have been 140m long tops, both 50m arc's came well into the centre square.

In the SFL Bice Oval at Christies is the biggest with Cove the smallest (short but very wide)

I remember that one, we played them and Ovingham in the same year, I'd say Ovingham is the smallest I've ever played on, I thought we'd score massively being on such a small ground but had an adverse affect on us as we we're all cramped and couldn't find space, it was easily the worst game I've ever played.
My daughter was born the previous day though, could've been a contributing factor.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:14 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Anyone play at the old STA ground at Regency in the 90's? Where Coopers Brewery now is. Would have been 140m long tops, both 50m arc's came well into the centre square.

I remember that one, we played them and Ovingham in the same year, I'd say Ovingham is the smallest I've ever played on, I thought we'd score massively being on such a small ground but had an adverse affect on us as we we're all cramped and couldn't find space, it was easily the worst game I've ever played.
My daughter was born the previous day though, could've been a contributing factor.

Who did you play for back then LM?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby B-Train35 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Foxfield oval has to be up there as one of the smallest
B-Train35
Mini-League

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Who did you play for back then LM?

Smithfield
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bird of prey » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:37 pm

Not even sure if seniors play on Foxfield oval or not. But if they do, then that and Ovingham have to be the smallest.
I remember doing a few preseason trainings with North Adel on Ovingham's oval about 10 years ago. We couldn't even train on it properly it was that small.

I've played on goodies oval plenty of times, and it's a bit deceptive. It's definitely bigger than it looks.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Been liked: 40 times

Postby Computer Crashed » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:34 pm

B-Train35 wrote:Foxfield oval has to be up there as one of the smallest

For sure.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times