2016 Draft discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: 2016 Draft discussion

Postby finn » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:Probably don;t have to MW but morally I think the Crows are doing the right thing by Shaw as he was contracted, and any player payment needs to go in the cap.

Big question is to why they did it at 13 and ignored others rather than taking a punt and naming Shaw as a last pick. Thinking that player payments made unsure by the upcoming CBA and possibility that rookie lists will be abolished had something to do with it; ie underpaying in 2017 across both lists to enable overpaying in 2018.
always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them so much
finn
League - Best 21

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby finn » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:31 pm

Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote::shock: LMFAO - Welcome to struggle town pal, population, YOU!

If he thought living on a couple of hundred thousand was tough, welcome to the real world pal!

Prior to the trade period :

SYDNEY Swans grand final player Xavier Richards has requested a trade to a Melbourne club and his manager says the cost of living in Sydney is the key factor in his desire to move.
The Swans lost their cost of living allowance (COLA) in controversial circumstances after they recruited Lance Franklin on a nine year $10 million deal on the back of signing Kurt Tippett from Adelaide the year before (2013).
But Richards’ manager Phil Mullen said the expense of living in Australia’s biggest city was a real issue for players down the pay scale from Franklin and Tippett.
“Xavier wanting to leave the Swans has nothing to do with being unhappy with the club,” Mullen told The Daily Telegraph.
“If you’ve got money to spend you’d get better value in Queensland or South Australia than you do in Sydney. Living in Sydney makes it tough on a lot of players.”
The advent of free agency is seeing the game’s best players getting richer while those down the financial ladder aren’t making as much ground. For the very well paid players such as Franklin and Tippett the cost of living in Sydney isn’t an issue but Mullen believes for journeymen players like Richards it’s a struggle.
“He will be able to go home to Melbourne and live with his parents initially and put some money away, that’s been impossible in Sydney,” Mullen said.
“I can’t understand why the AFL got rid of COLA.”
Carlton player Andrejs Everitt left the Swans in similar circumstances to Richards two years ago and said there was a real need for it especially for the less well paid players.
“It is pretty expensive to live up in Sydney, just the rent, everything to do with Sydney. I’m not sure what the figures are but I do think it (COLA) is pretty necessary,” Everitt said at the time.
The prospect of COLA being reinstated looks extremely remote after AFL Chairman Mike Fitzpatrick made his feelings known about the allowance last month.
“I was quite disappointed (when Lance Franklin switched to the Swans). I was the last defender of COLA. That announcement convinced me I had been wrong for a long time,” Fitzpatrick said at the time.
Richards has played 12 games in four years at the Swans including the last 10 of this season. His older brother Ted announced his retirement this season after 261 games for Sydney (228) and Essendon (33).
Mullen believes a deal with a Melbourne club is imminent.
“Xavier has been around for a while and knows the game,” Mullen said.
“He had a pretty good second half of the year when he was moved forward and he has plenty of ability there is no question. I’m confident a deal will get done in the next couple of days.”

It's grim up north.

However do they survive on probably minimum $100 000 grand? I'm not suggesting Sydney is enjoyable living on smaller amounts but, in my job, there are plenty of people who do so.
Would still like to see a system whereby recent draftees can nominate States to return to rather than clubs so bidding can occur.
always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them so much
finn
League - Best 21

Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Magellan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:22 am

finn wrote:
Magellan wrote:

If he thought living on a couple of hundred thousand was tough, welcome to the real world pal!

SYDNEY Swans grand final player Xavier Richards has requested a trade to a Melbourne club and his manager says the cost of living in Sydney is the key factor in his desire to move.
The Swans lost their cost of living allowance (COLA) in controversial circumstances after they recruited Lance Franklin on a nine year $10 million deal on the back of signing Kurt Tippett from Adelaide the year before (2013).
But Richards’ manager Phil Mullen said the expense of living in Australia’s biggest city was a real issue for players down the pay scale from Franklin and Tippett.
“Xavier wanting to leave the Swans has nothing to do with being unhappy with the club,” Mullen told The Daily Telegraph.
“If you’ve got money to spend you’d get better value in Queensland or South Australia than you do in Sydney. Living in Sydney makes it tough on a lot of players.”
The advent of free agency is seeing the game’s best players getting richer while those down the financial ladder aren’t making as much ground. For the very well paid players such as Franklin and Tippett the cost of living in Sydney isn’t an issue but Mullen believes for journeymen players like Richards it’s a struggle.
“He will be able to go home to Melbourne and live with his parents initially and put some money away, that’s been impossible in Sydney,” Mullen said.
Carlton player Andrejs Everitt left the Swans in similar circumstances to Richards two years ago and said there was a real need for it especially for the less well paid players.
“It is pretty expensive to live up in Sydney, just the rent, everything to do with Sydney. I’m not sure what the figures are but I do think it (COLA) is pretty necessary,” Everitt said at the time.
The prospect of COLA being reinstated looks extremely remote after AFL Chairman Mike Fitzpatrick made his feelings known about the allowance last month.
“I was quite disappointed (when Lance Franklin switched to the Swans). I was the last defender of COLA. That announcement convinced me I had been wrong for a long time,” Fitzpatrick said at the time.
Richards has played 12 games in four years at the Swans including the last 10 of this season. His older brother Ted announced his retirement this season after 261 games for Sydney (228) and Essendon (33).
“He had a pretty good second half of the year when he was moved forward and he has plenty of ability there is no question. I’m confident a deal will get done in the next couple of days.”

It's grim up north.

However do they survive on probably minimum $100 000 grand? I'm not suggesting Sydney is enjoyable living on smaller amounts but, in my job, there are plenty of people who do so.
Would still like to see a system whereby recent draftees can nominate States to return to rather than clubs so bidding can occur.

Impossible to say what money Richards is on, but the average player wage is $302,104 (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-12/a ... first-time). If he was on say 200K that's still pretty good money, even in Sydney terms. If you're into pissing money up against the wall then no matter how much coin you get it's never enough.

Also, how is Xavier Richards a 'journeyman'? Reckon you need to have been around a bit longer than 4 seasons all at 1 club to fall into that category. He should just come out and say he hates living in Sydney. I think most people would be very understanding. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:08 am

The bloke has just played in a GF and was not picked up by anyone. There is far more to this story than cost of living in Sydney as some people have alluded to. That's the worst excuse I have ever heard to move clubs or in this case careers.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 739 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby stan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:30 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:The bloke has just played in a GF and was not picked up by anyone. There is far more to this story than cost of living in Sydney as some people have alluded to. That's the worst excuse I have ever heard to move clubs or in this case careers.

Agree with you here there is a bigger story to this.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Magellan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:40 am

stan wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:The bloke has just played in a GF and was not picked up by anyone. There is far more to this story than cost of living in Sydney as some people have alluded to. That's the worst excuse I have ever heard to move clubs or in this case careers.

So what do we think the real story is? Is it simply that Richards is not that good from the Swans' point of view and club can't be bothered keeping him, or something more juicy like he hates playing at the Swans, or the players hate him for some reason?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:19 am

Where's wubbsy at, he'd have an idea surely?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:30 am

Spargo wrote:Where's wubbsy at, he'd have an idea surely?

Touring Europe currently.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:44 am

It's obvious Richards has some sort of baggage and he is seen as too big of a risk. He just played in a GF and now can't get on a list anywhere.... Wants to move back to Melbourne to save $350-400 a week renting a 1 bedroom apartment for a bloke who was earning $150-200k. Worst excuse I've ever seen.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 739 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Grahaml » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:22 pm

finn wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Probably don;t have to MW but morally I think the Crows are doing the right thing by Shaw as he was contracted, and any player payment needs to go in the cap.

Big question is to why they did it at 13 and ignored others rather than taking a punt and naming Shaw as a last pick. Thinking that player payments made unsure by the upcoming CBA and possibility that rookie lists will be abolished had something to do with it; ie underpaying in 2017 across both lists to enable overpaying in 2018.

After the relisting of some rookies and the preselection of Ben Jarman they only had 2 live picks it seems, and their second they passed on. Obviously they decided there wasn't anyone they wanted (or they had gone in the first 12 selections) so they picked Shaw and packed their bags.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 169 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:48 pm

Magellan wrote:
stan wrote:

So what do we think the real story is? Is it simply that Richards is not that good from the Swans' point of view and club can't be bothered keeping him, or something more juicy like he hates playing at the Swans, or the players hate him for some reason?

Don't think it's anything sinister. He wanted to get back to Melbourne and thought that after playing in a GF he could earn more back home. Swans only offered a relatively small contract and him and his manager thought they could get more. Once they worked out the interest wasn't there he went crawling back to the Swans who rightfully laughed at him. As I've said earlier, we had some interest in him and he trained with us but his interview was quite poor and his hunger and desire to play at the top level is lacking.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Magellan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:54 am

Jim05 wrote:
Magellan wrote:
stan wrote:

Don't think it's anything sinister. He wanted to get back to Melbourne and thought that after playing in a GF he could earn more back home. Swans only offered a relatively small contract and him and his manager thought they could get more. Once they worked out the interest wasn't there he went crawling back to the Swans who rightfully laughed at him. As I've said earlier, we had some interest in him and he trained with us but his interview was quite poor and his hunger and desire to play at the top level is lacking.

Fair enough Jim, sounds like a good ole fashioned tactical **** up. Still, the "I can't afford the cost of living in Sydney" line is bullshit, he just should've said he was homesick.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:10 am

If the "average" AFL player is on $302,000 and he's below "average" then we could assume a salary of $200-250,000 would be fairly accurate.

Sure, $200-250k might not see you move in next to Buddy and Jesinta but I'm pretty sure you could find a place to call home in Sydney.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:38 am

:shock: :shock:

Fair to say that for Xavier Richards, the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor....

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans/xavier-richards-signs-with-neafl-team-sydney-university-for-2017/news-story/92e203a096fc422d665dbf797920df58
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby stan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:33 pm

am Bays wrote:

:shock: :shock:

Fair to say that for Xavier Richards, the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor....

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans/xavier-richards-signs-with-neafl-team-sydney-university-for-2017/news-story/92e203a096fc422d665dbf797920df58

Definitely not a full slab.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby therisingblues » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:27 pm

A couple of pickles short of a cheese burger
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Ted would be ashamed of his efforts and surely X would have to sack his manager?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:37 pm

The funny thing he had a contract on the table for him!!! Goose
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:27 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Ted would be ashamed of his efforts and surely X would have to sack his manager?

So how will he survive still living in Sydney on less than he was at the Swans? Or does the AFL prop up the NEAFL so much that its feasible he could be on more at the University than the Swans?
Must be more to it, seems so strange, if there is not his manager is surely the worst to ever draw breath
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:39 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Ted would be ashamed of his efforts and surely X would have to sack his manager?

So how will he survive still living in Sydney on less than he was at the Swans? Or does the AFL prop up the NEAFL so much that its feasible he could be on more at the University than the Swans?
Must be more to it, seems so strange, if there is not his manager is surely the worst to ever draw breath

What ever happens now for X is his doing... He wanted out from the swans, they obliged and he now doesn't play AFL.
Nothing to do with the swans! NEAFL is an average comp and he wouldn't be getting enough to live off, regardless what state he lived in..
woodublieve12
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL