Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Homer J » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
heater31 wrote:Can't dual register with 2 clubs in the same competition....

Is that just in SACA?

Prob a permit from SACA if they want him to play in the 17's.
That's 4 district clubs in 3 years for the 16 year old.
Wouldn't be happy if I was a Port Junior missing out to fit him in and then have him return to uni next week.
Homer J
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 43 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:09 pm

Should be more points available for genuine outright wins - where a team takes 10 second innings wickets for instance. Games with multiple declarations are too contrived. Should be worth less. Teams that are desperate for points will often try to set up an outright in the slim hope of keeping their season alive. Not sure how this would need to be written in the rules mind you.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:11 pm

Why would you play for Uni if you want to play Under 17's?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby C Horse » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:11 pm

Aerie wrote:
backoftheroom wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on the whole setting up a game thing? Is it fair enough or just not cricket?

It doesn't sit right imo.

If the team that wins first innings loses outright, they lose 10 points. Perhaps the team that loses first innings should also lose 10 points if they lose outright (I.e. minus 10 points for the game).

That was the case once, but not anymore.

First innings win is 20
The second innings is worth 10
If you win first innings and lose outright you still get 20 and the other team gets 10.
If you win outright you get 30
C Horse
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby C Horse » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Homer J wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
heater31 wrote:Can't dual register with 2 clubs in the same competition....

Is that just in SACA?

Prob a permit from SACA if they want him to play in the 17's.
That's 4 district clubs in 3 years for the 16 year old.
Wouldn't be happy if I was a Port Junior missing out to fit him in and then have him return to uni next week.

Totally agree. I believe the player in question was 'shopped around' to a few clubs with the response from the clubs being "what's in it for us?" when he denies a junior an opportunity only to then lineup against that same club in senior cricket in future games. In fairness to Port Adelaide they may have struggled to field a competitive team so were willing to boost their stocks for the competition. Will be interesting to see how he performs.
C Horse
Rookie

Postby C Horse » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Should be more points available for genuine outright wins - where a team takes 10 second innings wickets for instance. Games with multiple declarations are too contrived. Should be worth less. Teams that are desperate for points will often try to set up an outright in the slim hope of keeping their season alive. Not sure how this would need to be written in the rules mind you.

This is a great idea maybe an outright where team takes 20 wickets is worth 30 and a 'contrived' outright is worth only 5 pts for the 2nd innings. That would not give teams any incentive to declare behind (like Prospect did yesterday) in an attempt to get 10pts whereas a draw would have got them 5 so it's the same, unless they are more confident of chasing a target than holding on for a draw (which would probably never be the case).

In this case, West Torrens and Kensington would've receive 30pointts for this weekend (took 20 wkts), whereas Port would have got 25 - or in reality have got 20 for a first innings win or 5 each if it was a draw. Actually should be presented to the SACA because that's got legs Tony Clifton for CEO
C Horse
Rookie

Postby Aeropti » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:09 pm

It's actually two Adelaide University players playing for Port Adelaide. Personally don't mind them playing for a team that has traditionally struggled with juniors.
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:42 pm

Aeropti wrote:It's actually two Adelaide University players playing for Port Adelaide. Personally don't mind them playing for a team that has traditionally struggled with juniors.

Quite sensible really. You want the best cricketers playing.

Looks like no country teams and no SA U15s this year. Means the talent is spread over fewer teams. Should have a positive impact on the standard of the competition. Hopefully some country kids are playing with their grade clubs. Really good change IMO.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Aeropti » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Aeropti wrote:It's actually two Adelaide University players playing for Port Adelaide. Personally don't mind them playing for a team that has traditionally struggled with juniors.

Looks like no country teams and no SA U15s this year. Means the talent is spread over fewer teams. Should have a positive impact on the standard of the competition. Hopefully some country kids are playing with their grade clubs. Really good change IMO.

Yeah, looking through the scores today, most teams have a really outstanding couple of players.
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby heater31 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:

Port have at least 2 country boys in the squad. Both playing key roles in senior cricket for their home club.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:00 am

Tony Clifton wrote:

I'm with you on it, kids shouldn't be denied a chance to play in such competitions because of who they play for, probably a smart move by Port too incase things ever go pear shaped between the players and Uni.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Hound » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:51 am

Tony Clifton wrote:

Pity it didn't happen every Saturday in the junior ranks :roll:

Seahorses have 3 from their country zone.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:40 am

The Hound wrote:Seahorses have 3 from their country zone.

I recently watched the Statewide Under 12 Cup and I must say the Glenelg coach's carry on was crazy, I thought he was gonna have a heart attack one game.
At the end of the day it's under 12 representative cricket and I can't see that being a good advertisement for the kids wanting to aspire further their cricketing adventures, if my son was in that team I would've pulled him out for the rest of the competition.
For the record, I did say something to him about it, it made it worse though when my son and I were walking back to the car and another father and son were talking about the game saying the umpire cheated and that's why they lost it, poor form.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Hound » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Hound wrote:Seahorses have 3 from their country zone.

I recently watched the Statewide Under 12 Cup and I must say the Glenelg coach's carry on was crazy, I thought he was gonna have a heart attack one game.
At the end of the day it's under 12 representative cricket and I can't see that being a good advertisement for the kids wanting to aspire further their cricketing adventures, if my son was in that team I would've pulled him out for the rest of the competition.
For the record, I did say something to him about it, it made it worse though when my son and I were walking back to the car and another father and son were talking about the game saying the umpire cheated and that's why they lost it, poor form.

If it is the game I am thinking about then the opposition parent/coach, talked the umpires into a decision from the sidelines, which they were not going to make. In saying that catches win matches!
Wouldn't of thought the umpires cheated they just didn't know the rules. What is interesting is you can have a 7/2 field for the off side but not a 5/4 field on the on side. It's a batsmen game these days :lol:
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:54 pm

The Hound wrote:
If it is the game I am thinking about then the opposition parent/coach, talked the umpires into a decision from the sidelines, which they were not going to make. In saying that catches win matches!
Wouldn't of thought the umpires cheated they just didn't know the rules. What is interesting is you can have a 7/2 field for the off side but not a 5/4 field on the on side. It's a batsmen game these days :lol:

I thought the field was a 6/3 when it was called, yeah, the Jets coach did yell out about the field and then that alerted the umpire to make the call, probably wasn't ideal having predominantly ATCA umpires officiating but I guess it's better than the alternative.
Agreed, the catches cost the game, my lad was spent and was dropped a few times with tired shots.

It was great to see the standard though, I don't know why the powers above would want to mess with the junior rules.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:36 pm

T20 GF
West Torrens v Glenelg
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:03 pm

helicopterking wrote:T20 GF
West Torrens v Glenelg

Too many clubs on the western seaboard in the T20 Grand Final.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby ferret » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:51 pm

All the SACA hierarchy were at the H&G Mem. Oval to watch one of the condemned teams play.

....................Pigs bloody arse.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Drew and Williams are having some sort of seasons. Similar team that made the semi finals 2 seasons ago (Bess in for Cullen) but with some more experience/contributions.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:04 am

ferret wrote:All the SACA hierarchy were at the H&G Mem. Oval to watch one of the condemned teams play.

....................Pigs bloody arse.

Whilst the other one had their under 17 side beaten by 209 runs....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps