The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:21 am

at least Xenophon doesnt seem to be in it for himself. I dont agree with a lot of his policies but I personally think he does what he says he is going to do with no ulterior motives
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:38 am

am Bays wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Pretty easy to see how Trump got elected when people don't like the politicians from either side who, let's face it, are only in it for themselves

Yup it's why in 2018 we are going to have a hung Parliament here in SA,

NXT to have the BOP.

From what I heard yesterday, you might see one or two Pauline Hanson people in there as well
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:43 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Pretty easy to see how Trump got elected when people don't like the politicians from either side who, let's face it, are only in it for themselves

I think it's not just the politicians the public have grown tired of but the "yes" men/women who maintain their bureaucratic positions regardless of who holds office and continue to show high levels of ineptitude attempting to complete their day to day tasks. Health, Families SA as some wonderfully terrible examples.

The fact the spineless politicians do nothing about changing people in these roles shows how meek they are.

As such, I propose senior positions in departments are aligned to elections and a government change should see a change in senior departmental positions. Perhaps then voters could actually consider a change in party as making a change to the day to day running of important departments.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:53 am

Booney wrote:

I think it's not just the politicians the public have grown tired of but the "yes" men/women who maintain their bureaucratic positions regardless of who holds office and continue to show high levels of ineptitude attempting to complete their day to day tasks. Health, Families SA as some wonderfully terrible examples.

The fact the spineless politicians do nothing about changing people in these roles shows how meek they are.

As such, I propose senior positions in departments are aligned to elections and a government change should see a change in senior departmental positions. Perhaps then voters could actually consider a change in party as making a change to the day to day running of important departments.

You forget the "fearless and frank advice" doctrine, but, unfortunately, this Govt has belted that out of the PS
Anyone else getting sick of seeing the departments heads all lined up behind the Minister in his press release?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:56 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:

You forget the "fearless and frank advice" doctrine, but, unfortunately, this Govt has belted that out of the PS
Anyone else getting sick of seeing the departments heads all lined up behind the Minister in his press release?

Yep, I guess that takes away the "faceless men" argument.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:19 am

Booney wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Yep, I guess that takes away the "faceless men" argument.

Turned them into "nodding men & women"
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:18 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
am Bays wrote:

Yup it's why in 2018 we are going to have a hung Parliament here in SA,

NXT to have the BOP.

From what I heard yesterday, you might see one or two Pauline Hanson people in there as well

Yup but I'm predicting NXT to have the BOP, think Hansen is more likely to get red seats than green ones.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby tipper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:at least Xenophon doesnt seem to be in it for himself. I dont agree with a lot of his policies but I personally think he does what he says he is going to do with no ulterior motives

bullshit. he is just as bad as the rest of them now. taking money from one pokie establishment to fund his legal fight against their competitor. just ask any North supporter.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Grenville » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:09 pm

tipper wrote:
bennymacca wrote:at least Xenophon doesnt seem to be in it for himself. I dont agree with a lot of his policies but I personally think he does what he says he is going to do with no ulterior motives

bullshit. he is just as bad as the rest of them now. taking money from one pokie establishment to fund his legal fight against their competitor. just ask any North supporter.

Xenophon is a political ambulance chaser, once the sirens stop he loses interest.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:03 pm

tipper wrote:

Agreed, he's more intent on publicity stunts than policy and while Hanson rallies one extreme, Mr X works on what the other extreme is grizzling about.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:57 am

I've known Nick since about 1980, though the last time I saw him in a social context was in 2009.
I don't agree with all his policies, but agree with quite a few.

He was certainly making a lot more money as a successful Adelaide Barrister than I think he stands to make out of Politics.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Trader » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Psyber wrote:I've known Nick since about 1980, though the last time I saw him in a social context was in 2009.
I don't agree with all his policies, but agree with quite a few.

He was certainly making a lot more money as a successful Adelaide Barrister than I think he stands to make out of Politics.

The age old question, do you take $1.50 a year as a barrister, and retire at 60, or do you take $1 a year as a polly, then watch the gravy train roll on from 60-100 on your government pension.

Grenville wrote:Xenophon is a political ambulance chaser, once the sirens stop he loses interest.

This is the truth for mine.
Loves a good press conference, but not sure how much he achieves.

There was that graph floating around before the last election showing from 97 to 2006 when he was the "No Pokies MP", pokies grew consistently in SA. Then he moved on having failed for a decade, and from 2007 to 2016, they steadily fell.

His latest one now is jumping on the "hot topic" from Melbourne on Friday and talking about bail reform. While I agree the system is broken, why did it take a major incident for Nick to speak up?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby MW » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:12 pm

isn't that when you want a pollie to stand up?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1849 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:55 pm

MW wrote:isn't that when you want a pollie to stand up?

No, I'd rather they look at a potential problem before the disaster happens
Gee, bail....... That's a new problem

The Victorian Govt relaxed bail when it came to power and now it realised it **** up and all hell breaks loose
There was an opinion from the Vic Police Assoc a couple of years ago saying that it would end in disaster and it did
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby tipper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:27 pm

exactly. why cant we have proactive leaders? instead of always being reactive? the bail situation is no different here in south australia, we just havent had outcomes as bad as vic, yet. the latest lot of kids stealing cars would be our example. keep getting let out to offend again.....

the only times it seems they are proactive is when raising taxes (cough, levies, cough) or their own pay rises..... everything else is just pandering to the latest push on social media
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby stan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:28 pm

tipper wrote:exactly. why cant we have proactive leaders? instead of always being reactive? the bail situation is no different here in south australia, we just havent had outcomes as bad as vic, yet. the latest lot of kids stealing cars would be our example. keep getting let out to offend again.....

the only times it seems they are proactive is when raising taxes (cough, levies, cough) or their own pay rises..... everything else is just pandering to the latest push on social media

Because its all about getting back in in 3 years times. Get on the popular issues. Electioneering 101.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:34 pm

Nick Xenophon had a huge hand in keeping the shipbuilding in SA
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby stan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:12 am

bennymacca wrote:Nick Xenophon had a huge hand in keeping the shipbuilding in SA

Really? Hes a senator Im not sure how much he can really do besides threaten to vote against cetain bills. Maybe thats all it takes in the end as we know how the coalitions has a piss poor relationship with independents. But I think little poodle Pyne pissed his pants enough because in SA the threat that the electorate will burry any coalition candidate also has had an influence on that.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:17 am

stan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Nick Xenophon had a huge hand in keeping the shipbuilding in SA

Really? Hes a senator Im not sure how much he can really do besides threaten to vote against cetain bills.

He can threaten to vote against other bills as a negotiating tactic to get the things he wants, thanks to the composition of the current senate.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:47 pm

People forget Nick was on the side of a pokies Baron against a sporting club many years ago, most forget but I don't. Hypocrite much?
Some people including the media love his little games but it doesn't impress me, probably the last bloke I'd vote for at any level.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics