AFLW - Womens AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:15 pm

I personally don't see to many negatives of the aflw. I think it's great to see the expansion of women's footy. Gives another thing girls can aspire to be, and that certainly can't be a bad thing. I got 2 little girls who will have the opportunity to play at the highest level (as long as they don't get my skills) when they get older!!
It's also great to see women's cricket get more coverage too.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:38 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:I personally don't see to many negatives of the aflw. I think it's great to see the expansion of women's footy. Gives another thing girls can aspire to be, and that certainly can't be a bad thing. I got 2 little girls who will have the opportunity to play at the highest level (as long as they don't get my skills) when they get older!!

No problem with it as long as it's not coming out of the pockets of the men.
If the comp can support itself good on it
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby absolutebath » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:58 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:I personally don't see to many negatives of the aflw. I think it's great to see the expansion of women's footy. Gives another thing girls can aspire to be, and that certainly can't be a bad thing. I got 2 little girls who will have the opportunity to play at the highest level (as long as they don't get my skills) when they get older!!

Just to clarify are you saying you go to the WBBL games? I have struggled to watch that on TV at all.

I will go to the Watch the First Lady Crows game as my girlfriend loves the Crows and we know one of the players but from what I have seen so far the standard needs a few years to lift. I'd expecting a pretty mixed bag in the first year.

Fremantle Dockettes v Western Ladydogs (can't use the b word) in the GF I'm tipping
absolutebath
Under 16s

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Jim05 wrote:

That sounds just a tad precious. Actually more than a tad, to be honest. The women aren't getting paid much at all and soon enough I think you'll see a lot of support for the women. In the end, this is something that should end up earning all AFL footballers more. You only have to look at the support the womens cricket gets these days to see a strong growth potential.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:48 pm

The most important part of the comp isn't where the money comes from, how many people turn up to watch, or even the standard of the comp. The most important part is girls growing up and playing the game now have a clear pathway in the sport that's actually meaningful
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 pm

absolutebath wrote:

Just to clarify are you saying you go to the WBBL games? I have struggled to watch that on TV at all.

I will go to the Watch the First Lady Crows game as my girlfriend loves the Crows and we know one of the players but from what I have seen so far the standard needs a few years to lift. I'd expecting a pretty mixed bag in the first year.

Fremantle Dockettes v Western Ladydogs (can't use the b word) in the GF I'm tipping

I don't even watch men's BBL.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:58 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Who care if it does! It's not like the AFL can't afford it.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:03 pm

Grahaml wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

That sounds just a tad precious. Actually more than a tad, to be honest. The women aren't getting paid much at all and soon enough I think you'll see a lot of support for the women. In the end, this is something that should end up earning all AFL footballers more. You only have to look at the support the womens cricket gets these days to see a strong growth potential.

I was talking more about the cricket. The men have been asked to take a decent cut to subsidise the women which is absolute rubbish. No way should they have to give up a cent of their pay and thankfully they have refused
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Gozu » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:45 pm

AFLW starts on Channel 7 this Friday night with Collingwood vs Carlton and on Saturday night Western Bulldogs vs the Crows.

http://tvtonight.com.au/2017/01/airdate ... ition.html
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:03 am

Jim05 wrote:

You don't think the AFL can support it with the income they generate? :shock:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:04 am

Gozu wrote:AFLW starts on Channel 7 this Friday night with Collingwood vs Carlton and on Saturday night Western Bulldogs vs the Crows.

http://tvtonight.com.au/2017/01/airdate ... ition.html

According to the womens fixture on their website, Adelaide are playing GWS this Saturday at Thebby.

They play the Bulldogs next week.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:25 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

There needs to be a point, as with all businesses, where it stands on its own 2 feet.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby carey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:43 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

There needs to be a point, as with all businesses, where it stands on its own 2 feet.

Simply can not see that happening.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Absolutely, but while the AFL is pulling in billions....yes, billions ( and that's just the TV rights ) then I think it can afford to have a go at making the AFLW competition work without compromising the AFL itself.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:50 pm

I highly doubt the W-League runs at a profit, but the FFA keep funding it.

I don't see how a womens league could be a bad thing for anybody.

Don't like it? Don't watch it.

The amount of money it would cost to run compared to the amount of money the AFL brings in every single year would be minuscule. The media rights alone generate $2.5 BILLION over 6 years.

I think they'll manage.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Booney wrote:Absolutely, but while the AFL is pulling in billions....yes, billions ( and that's just the TV rights ) then I think it can afford to have a go at making the AFLW competition work without compromising the AFL itself.

Jinx
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:51 pm

HH3 wrote:I highly doubt the W-League runs at a profit, but the FFA keep funding it.

The amount of money it would cost to run compared to the amount of money the AFL brings in every single year would be minuscule. The media rights alone generate $2.5 BILLION over 6 years.

I think they'll manage.

The A League is rubbish, but the FFA keep running that too. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:I highly doubt the W-League runs at a profit, but the FFA keep funding it.

I think they'll manage.

On a side note, I tried to watch the W-League game between Adelaide and Sydney the other day. You think mens soccer is boring?.....lordy.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:20 pm

HH3 wrote:
Booney wrote:
I think they'll manage.

On a side note, I tried to watch the W-League game between Adelaide and Sydney the other day. You think mens soccer is boring?.....lordy.

Yes, I do. ;)

Didn't Adelaide ( bottom ) beat Perth ( top ) 10-1 or something the other week?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:23 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:No problem with it as long as it's not coming out of the pockets of the men.

Absolutely, but while the AFL is pulling in billions....yes, billions ( and that's just the TV rights ) then I think it can afford to have a go at making the AFLW competition work without compromising the AFL itself.

You make it sound all so easy. But don't you think that the AFL competition is compromised without a proper reserves system? Is it then just a matter of priorities, ie. it is more important to set up a women's comp than establish a standardised reserves comp for the existing men's competition, or do you think that the AFL is not compromised by the fact that the current reserves system, has clubs trying current players on their lists out in at least 4 different competitions of various standards?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL