Should Australia Day date be changed?

Yes
32%
No
50%
Don't care
18%

Total votes : 50

Re: Should Australia Day date be changed?

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:35 am

Pseudo wrote:The middle of August would be good, only because it would give us a much needed public holiday in the four-month stretch between the Queen's Birthday and Labor Day.

i like the thought process behind that, but unfortunately August weather isn't conducive for skimpy "Australian flag design" bikini wearing..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:36 am

Aerie wrote: I would just move the public holiday to the first Monday in December. Have a long weekend to celebrate our nation and the arrival of summer!

Align that with the scheduling of the Adel Oval test, and you've got a winner!
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:36 am

Footy Chick wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
Magellan wrote:That said, happy for it to be moved to a date. Not sure which date would be appropriate, though. Plenty of stakeholders to consult with!

The middle of August would be good, only because it would give us a much needed public holiday in the four-month stretch between the Queen's Birthday and Labor Day.

I pick August 9 - for purely selfish reasons 8) :lol:

I concur
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:45 am

Q. wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
Magellan wrote:That said, happy for it to be moved to a date. Not sure which date would be appropriate, though. Plenty of stakeholders to consult with!

The middle of August would be good, only because it would give us a much needed public holiday in the four-month stretch between the Queen's Birthday and Labor Day.

I pick August 9 - for purely selfish reasons 8) :lol:

I concur

As you would ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:53 am

Some time ago, HG Nelson once suggested that we needed another public holiday and suggested we make a day called Bludge day (i think) on August 9

That's all Australia Day is for mostly anyway (except the good folk being attending citizenship ceremonies etc)

Australia Day is what it is, I don't care when it is but i do object to it being changed just because people want to change history.

Never ignore history - it's the only way we can become better as a country.

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Zartan wrote:
Aerie wrote: I would just move the public holiday to the first Monday in December. Have a long weekend to celebrate our nation and the arrival of summer!

Align that with the scheduling of the Adel Oval test, and you've got a winner!

Good idea fellas, I like it. Until Sydney or Melbourne think they deserve some sort of cricket on that day when it becomes popular.

Personally, and selfishly, I like it when it is because I rarely get January holidays, at least extended ones, due to not having kids and the nature of other colleagues' work means it's their best time, so Jan 26 is like a beacon after the drudgery of working in early January. That might seem selfish, but then the whole day seems somewhat self-indulgent these days, certainly not as significant as other public holidays (Adelaide Cup excepted).
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby carey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Is this not just a case of changing something for the sake of changing something? It seems to me, if we as a nation aren't up in arms about something like this no one is happy....

I seriously can not work why the need to change it is?
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:11 pm

carey wrote:Is this not just a case of changing something for the sake of changing something? It seems to me, if we as a nation aren't up in arms about something like this no one is happy....

Of course that's why..... we hear the same bullsh*t reasons about this time every year.
It ain't broke........ leave it as is!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:11 pm

carey wrote:Is this not just a case of changing something for the sake of changing something? It seems to me, if we as a nation aren't up in arms about something like this no one is happy....

It'd be un-Australian not to have whinge. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Footy Chick wrote: Australia Day is what it is, I don't care when it is but i do object to it being changed just because people want to change history.

I'm trying to understand this sentiment.
The proponents of changing the date wish to do so, because of history, not because they're trying to change history.
This is definitely not ignoring history, it's acknowledging.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Footy Chick wrote: Australia Day is what it is, I don't care when it is but i do object to it being changed just because people want to change history.

The proponents of changing the date wish to do so, because of history, not because they're trying to change history.

moving the date is acknowledging what, exactly? because this country constantly feels the need to apologise for things done generations and generations ago?.

There will always be aspects of any countries' history that no-one is proud of but people need to accept that that's the way it happened and ensure such atrocities don't happen again in the future. FFS people, this was 230 years ago. In 2017,whilst it's still far from perfect, it's definitely not like it was.

Of course we're all sorry that thousands of indigenous people were killed unnecessarily -but it happened and changing the date isn't going to change this, so why do it. That's just my logic, which as we all know sometimes isn't logical.. :oops:

Next we'll be changing the date of rememberence day or Anzac Day because it offends our German and Japanese population :roll: Sounds stupid doesn't it, but where does it end?

Footy Chick

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Next we'll be changing the date of rememberence day or Anzac Day because it offends our German and Japanese population :roll: Sounds stupid doesn't it, but where does it end?

What about the Turks? ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
moving the date is acknowledging what, exactly? because this country constantly feels the need to apologise for things done generations and generations ago?.

There will always be aspects of any countries' history that no-one is proud of but people need to accept that that's the way it happened and ensure such atrocities don't happen again in the future. FFS people, this was 230 years ago. In 2017,whilst it's still far from perfect, it's definitely not like it was.

Of course we're all sorry that thousands of indigenous people were killed unnecessarily -but it happened and changing the date isn't going to change this, so why do it. That's just my logic, which as we all know sometimes isn't logical.. :oops:

Next we'll be changing the date of rememberence day or Anzac Day because it offends our German and Japanese population :roll: Sounds stupid doesn't it, but where does it end?

Moving the date isn't about acknowledging anything - it's about allowing EVERYONE to feel comfortable to enjoy and celebrate the land we live in, everything great about it, it's culture and diversity.

Atrocities STARTED 230 yrs ago as you say.. Stolen Generation, inability to vote or be accepted as part of mainstream Australia. Help fight for the country in wars but come home and still be treated as less than equal. Slavery and Unfair work payments - paid small amounts even rations. Still not recognised in the Australian Constitution.. Loss of language, stories, culture etc. etc. etc.

What Australia Day represents to many, is not only events that took place 230 years ago, but the chain of events an impacts on lives since that day. That was the day that the whole culture of A&TSI people were changed forever.

Does that make sense?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Aerie wrote:I've always thought of ANZAC Day as the most important national day and the time we can look back and be thankful for what previous Australians did for us to enable us to live the way we do today.

Australia Day should be moved from January 26 to respect those indigenous groups who view it as the day of invasion. I would just move the public holiday to the first Monday in December. Have a long weekend to celebrate our nation and the arrival of summer!

At least we could still have a game of cricket to watch.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Zartan wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Moving the date isn't about acknowledging anything - it's about allowing EVERYONE to feel comfortable to enjoy and celebrate the land we live in, everything great about it, it's culture and diversity.

Atrocities STARTED 230 yrs ago as you say.. Stolen Generation, inability to vote or be accepted as part of mainstream Australia. Help fight for the country in wars but come home and still be treated as less than equal. Slavery and Unfair work payments - paid small amounts even rations. Still not recognised in the Australian Constitution.. Loss of language, stories, culture etc. etc. etc.

What Australia Day represents to many, is not only events that took place 230 years ago, but the chain of events an impacts on lives since that day. That was the day that the whole culture of A&TSI people were changed forever.

Does that make sense?

Absolutely and agree with every word.

But the date itself still needs to be recognised. Do we still acknowledge Jan 26 as a different holiday and then celebrate "Australia Day" to recognise everyone on a different date?

Footy Chick

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Fair difference from immigrants to the indigenous people from our country!

I am for changing the date. Never used to bother me growing up, but the more I learned and the older I got I feel out of respect we should move it...

Do you think the Turks celebrate the day we invaded them?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:41 pm

My birthday is September 11th probably best they stay away from that date
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

I'm not debating Australia Day or even the debate happening here.
I'm questioning your statement where you firstly say that people wish to change history (which they don't - history has recorded what has passed since white settlement), but then say we shouldn't forget history.
It is a confusing statement.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:57 pm

sorry, it's hard to put into writing.

Footy Chick

Postby Ronnie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Zartan wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Does that make sense?

I hear you, but I'm not sure how changing the date is going to 'fix' any of that. Australia is not going to go back to a pre 1788 existence, which, for some people, was pretty horrible anyway. If your really saying that you reject everything that has happened since 1788 then, seriously, where does that leave you? Presumably not as a functioning member of society anyway. There has to be some engagement with reality.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion