Adelaide Crows 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide Crows 2017

Postby helicopterking » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:45 am

MW wrote:
helicopterking wrote:The 3yr Betts deal should leave Adelaide with no cash left when WC and Freo swoop at Mitch McGovern at seasons end.

Yeah cause clubs don't factor that in to their salary caps...
In saying that, no doubt Perth clubs will sell the farm to get him

They factor in what they think he is worth, not someone like Freo think he is worth.
Can you match offers of $500k+ per season for him?
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:55 am

MW wrote:I don't know, were they?

Following your logic, the honest and transparent act is to run to the media when a club is reluctant to do a trade on a contracted player. Geelong didn't do this, so I am curious how you interpret their actions in light of Adelaide employing the"honest and transparent" strategy of trying to force Carlton's hand through media pressure.
BTW, good luck with the Betts deal. I for one think he is worth it.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby MW » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:43 am

It depends on how you interpret how they went to the media. Every list manager was getting interviewed in the corridors during trade week. Crows declared their hand in getting Bryce during one of these interviews. I'm not sure why you're so upset about it.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby MW » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:54 am

helicopterking wrote:
MW wrote:
helicopterking wrote:The 3yr Betts deal should leave Adelaide with no cash left when WC and Freo swoop at Mitch McGovern at seasons end.

Yeah cause clubs don't factor that in to their salary caps...
In saying that, no doubt Perth clubs will sell the farm to get him

They factor in what they think he is worth, not someone like Freo think he is worth.
Can you match offers of $500k+ per season for him?

That is what I meant. Adel would budget for what they would pay for him. That will not stop desperate clubs paying overs. It's happened in the AFL for years. I'm not sure you stop signing Eddie Betts to pay overs for Mitch McGovern though.
MW
Coach

Postby hawks21 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:36 am

therisingblues wrote:
MW wrote:Sign a proven goal scorer with no injury concerns for 3 year extension at 30 years old (will be 33 at end of contract) and questions get asked why.
Do not give away two 1st round draft picks for an inconsistent 28 year old with 3 more years to run on his large contract, and questions get asked why.

Can't win in this footy game!

Probably a mistake to run to the media with the news that he was up for a trade, when he clearly wasn't. A bit hard to win under those circumstances.

Bryce has said himself that he was in open dialogue with Carlton during the weeks leading up to trade week about returning home. Carlton obviously never put him up for trade, Bryce did that himself by requesting to return home!

re: Betts, Probably a good move by the club to sign him on a longer term deal now before the new pay agreement comes into affect, gives the club room to move in the coming years when there's a larger salary cap!

re: McGovern, he would be on base wage currently, any decent manager would be advising to wait until later in the year. If he improves again like he did last season he will be worth 500k a year which i am sure the club would be willing to pay! Obviously Freo and WC would be silly not to chase him!
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby cracka » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:22 am

hawks21 wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
MW wrote:Sign a proven goal scorer with no injury concerns for 3 year extension at 30 years old (will be 33 at end of contract) and questions get asked why.
Do not give away two 1st round draft picks for an inconsistent 28 year old with 3 more years to run on his large contract, and questions get asked why.

Can't win in this footy game!

Probably a mistake to run to the media with the news that he was up for a trade, when he clearly wasn't. A bit hard to win under those circumstances.

Bryce has said himself that he was in open dialogue with Carlton during the weeks leading up to trade week about returning home. Carlton obviously never put him up for trade, Bryce did that himself by requesting to return home!

re: Betts, Probably a good move by the club to sign him on a longer term deal now before the new pay agreement comes into affect, gives the club room to move in the coming years when there's a larger salary cap!

re: McGovern, he would be on base wage currently, any decent manager would be advising to wait until later in the year. If he improves again like he did last season he will be worth 500k a year which i am sure the club would be willing to pay! Obviously Freo and WC would be silly not to chase him!

WTF, letting the truth get in the way of a good story. :roll:
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:29 am

Still have a fair chunk of dangerfield money left i would guess.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:53 am

bennymacca wrote:Still have a fair chunk of dangerfield money left i would guess.

Much of that would have been divided up in contracts before the end of '15. Once he took the "I'll decide at the end of my contract" stance in '14 they would have been shifting that money around.

I'd say plenty would be left over but clubs must pay 95% (?) of their cap, yes? So last year you had to spend the money on others.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:19 am

Brodlach wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
MW wrote:Risk is low but it is unusual for Crows to give a 30 yr old a 3 year contract.
I think his run of games without injury helped in the decision making.

Very unusual, unless the 1 year only policy went to Carlton with Triggy.

Must have been another club sniffing around offering him a long term deal that forced the Crows hand. But then again they did sign JJ for 5 years :lol: :lol:

Not sure why offering JJ 5 years is funny, your mob also offered him 5 years.

BS....one thing we don't need is a big forward
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:31 am

That's true, he'd just be sitting there, bored.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
MW wrote:Risk is low but it is unusual for Crows to give a 30 yr old a 3 year contract.
I think his run of games without injury helped in the decision making.

Very unusual, unless the 1 year only policy went to Carlton with Triggy.

Must have been another club sniffing around offering him a long term deal that forced the Crows hand. But then again they did sign JJ for 5 years :lol: :lol:

Not sure why offering JJ 5 years is funny, your mob also offered him 5 years.

BS....one thing we don't need is a big forward

I heard him say it myself
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:24 pm

MW wrote:It depends on how you interpret how they went to the media. Every list manager was getting interviewed in the corridors during trade week. Crows declared their hand in getting Bryce during one of these interviews. I'm not sure why you're so upset about it.

Upset? Just trying to find out why you'd include the Gibbs story with the Betts contract extension. Two completely different scenarios and I'd say Gibbs and Ablett is far more comparable.
Now I'm curious why you'd mistake an exercise in logical observation with being upset.

Hawks, it isn't up to the contracted player to decide if he's up for trade it's up to the club he's contracted to.
Wouldn't you agree Cracka?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby cracka » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:19 pm

therisingblues wrote:
MW wrote:It depends on how you interpret how they went to the media. Every list manager was getting interviewed in the corridors during trade week. Crows declared their hand in getting Bryce during one of these interviews. I'm not sure why you're so upset about it.

Upset? Just trying to find out why you'd include the Gibbs story with the Betts contract extension. Two completely different scenarios and I'd say Gibbs and Ablett is far more comparable.
Now I'm curious why you'd mistake an exercise in logical observation with being upset.

Hawks, it isn't up to the contracted player to decide if he's up for trade it's up to the club he's contracted to.

No. Are you serious. Contracted players have been wanting trades for ever. Its up to the clubs to approve any deals done & if they're not happy with what is offered then move on. Adelaide, Carlton & Gibbs have moved on, can't understand why you haven't.
cracka
Veteran

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:40 pm

cracka wrote:
therisingblues wrote:

No. Are you serious. Contracted players have been wanting trades for ever. Its up to the clubs to approve any deals done & if they're not happy with what is offered then move on. Adelaide, Carlton & Gibbs have moved on, can't understand why you haven't.

?
I'm responding to a post that mentioned the Gibbs deal as an example of how the Crows just can't win. It would seem that some Crows supporters need to move on.
Wouldn't you say so Cracka?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:03 am

I think you need to move on sport
MW
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:56 am

I think the crows should give us Eddie and Jacobs back and we'll give you Kerridge and Wright back.
Deal?

Anyway I'd sign Eddie up on a 10 year deal........ He's a bloody legend! :D
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby cracka » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:22 am

cracka wrote:
therisingblues wrote:

?
therisingblues wrote:I'm responding to a post that mentioned the Gibbs deal as an example of how the Crows just can't win. It would seem that some Crows supporters need to move on.
Wouldn't you say so Cracka?

And no one before that has ever tried to make a comparison of one players deal to another :roll:
cracka
Veteran

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:36 am

Nobody cares about the Gibbs deal anymore, let's talk about this season.

I personally think we can make the jump into the top four.

Thompson Douglas and Mackay are probably the only players that I can't see improving or being at least as good as last year. That's a pretty good indicator. Replace those three with knight, Milera, and some of the new draftees and there isn't too many downsides.

It was said last year but it applies again this year - our midfield is the weakness still. A full season out of the crouch boys and Atkins playing more midfield minutes will be crucial to our success this year.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:48 am

bennymacca wrote:Nobody cares about the Gibbs deal anymore, let's talk about this season.

Thompson Douglas and Mackay are probably the only players that I can't see improving or being at least as good as last year. That's a pretty good indicator. Replace those three with knight, Milera, and some of the new draftees and there isn't too many downsides.

It was said last year but it applies again this year - our midfield is the weakness still. A full season out of the crouch boys and Atkins playing more midfield minutes will be crucial to our success this year.

Will the Crows have as good a run with injuries as they have in the previous last couple of years

Players a massive part in the success of the teams that are 3-12 in the pecking order
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Ron Burgundy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:12 am

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Nobody cares about the Gibbs deal anymore, let's talk about this season.

Will the Crows have as good a run with injuries as they have in the previous last couple of years

Players a massive part in the success of the teams that are 3-12 in the pecking order

It really depends on what line the injury occurs.
Obv. An injury to Jacobs or a Key Back (Lever, Talia) would really hurt.

I think we can cover most positions in our forward half.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL