Should Australia Day date be changed?

Yes
32%
No
50%
Don't care
18%

Total votes : 50

Re: Should Australia Day date be changed?

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:53 pm

As the mayor of Fremantle said. January 26th is the date of white settlement of this country.
Australia Day needs to be a day of commemoration for all Australians, and January 26th marks the day that the Indigenous peoples would surely lose theirs.
I would say that the day Rudd apologised for past wrongs is more appropriate. IMO this is the day of greatest reconciliation between the original inhabitants and us new arrivals.
Just for the record. I HATE political correctness with a passion, but I feel this is a genuine issue.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:00 am

GWW wrote:
Zartan wrote:Australia will become a Republic one of these days, then we can celebrate "Australia Day" on that date, for that reason :D

These are my thoughts as well, sooner the better too.

Once its done (breaking away from monarchy), would like to see something like a 4 day weekend in June, taking over existing Queens Birthday - the Friday could be "Recognition Day" or perhaps "Mabo Day", and the Monday could be "Australian Sovereignity Day".

Agreed. Once we cast of the shackles of the monarchy we can genuinely celebrate Australia as a truly sovereign and unique nation, comprised of indigenous origins, Anglo foundations, and European and Asian (and now African ) influences, complete with our own head of state.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:03 am

Zartan wrote:Okay.. here's another question - how do people feel about the possibility of changing the Australian flag? Is this as sacred as the national holiday? What about the national anthem? Would you be against changing that (again)? :P

Once the republic comes in, change the flag to something without the Union Jack.

National anthem can stay as it is, far better than what we had previously.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:00 am

If I posed these questions on here :

If we were to make changes to the following when would be -

Which date for Australia Day?

Which flag?

Which anthem?

We'd never get a consensus on here with a handful of people looking at it, let alone 25,000,000 trying to agree on something.

As am bays put it, January 26th is warts and all, good and bad, Australia Day. Perhaps the day should be used to acknowledge the first people of this land more,acknowledge the contribution of the first nations, perhaps we could work towards it being a day of recognition, a day that ( like Anzac Day ) has both good and bad feelings attached to it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:04 am

Perhaps we shouldn't think so heavily about things and just enjoy the day with family and friends and cook a BBQ and drink some alcohol whilst playing some backyard cricket.
Anyhoo that's what I'll be doing.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:31 am

Australia Day - I am on the fence. I would have no problem changing it, but don't mind it as it is. Although, flag-cape wearing should be banned, as should some of the jingoism that goes along with it. And, I'd like people to at least consider the impact of colonisation on our Indigenous people.

Republic - Yes, please.

Flag - Change. Get rid of that thing in the corner. And, contrary to popular belief, we didn't fight two World Wars under that flag.

Anthem - Ambivalent. It is only about 40-years old, but I can live with it.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:37 am

Zartan wrote:Moving the date isn't about acknowledging anything - it's about allowing EVERYONE to feel comfortable to enjoy and celebrate the land we live in, everything great about it, it's culture and diversity.

This sums up for me why it should be moved.

Right now, it just feels like we're 'dancing on the graves', so to speak.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:58 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Australia Day - I am on the fence. I would have no problem changing it, but don't mind it as it is. Although, flag-cape wearing should be banned, as should some of the jingoism that goes along with it. And, I'd like people to at least consider the impact of colonisation on our Indigenous people.

Republic - Yes, please.

Flag - Change. Get rid of that thing in the corner. And, contrary to popular belief, we didn't fight two World Wars under that flag.

Anthem - Ambivalent. It is only about 40-years old, but I can live with it.

Yes, 100% agreed. A $2 Chinese manufactured cape with the flag on it to show your patriotism. Not for me.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:58 am

Q. wrote:
Zartan wrote:Moving the date isn't about acknowledging anything - it's about allowing EVERYONE to feel comfortable to enjoy and celebrate the land we live in, everything great about it, it's culture and diversity.

When do you propose? ( Not August 9th ). ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:18 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Perhaps we shouldn't think so heavily about things and just enjoy the day with family and friends and cook a BBQ and drink some alcohol whilst playing some backyard cricket.

(I am making the assumption you are white)

It's easy for us to say meh don't think too hard about it but I'm sure that's a slap in the face for aboriginals who think we are trying to sweep it under the carpet.

My preference would be to become a republic (probably when QEII passes), replace the Union Jack on our flag with the aboriginal one, and move Australia Day to republic day
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:21 pm

bennymacca wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Perhaps we shouldn't think so heavily about things and just enjoy the day with family and friends and cook a BBQ and drink some alcohol whilst playing some backyard cricket.

It's easy for us to say meh don't think too hard about it but I'm sure that's a slap in the face for aboriginals who think we are trying to sweep it under the carpet.

My preference would be to become a republic (probably when QEII passes), replace the Union Jack on our flag with the aboriginal one, and move Australia Day to republic day

But we aren't, are we?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:24 pm

Booney wrote:
Q. wrote:

When do you propose? ( Not August 9th ). ;)

I don't think it really matters, just not Jan 26th.

I've got no time for what the masses consider patriotism to be anyway, so I'm the worst person to ask what day it should be on.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:27 pm

bennymacca wrote:

You assumed correct ....... but that's beside the point!
I know many aboriginals who don't actually want the date changed as they like and accept it for what it is......good and bad.
I'm sure there are some that do want it changed though also.
You can't please everyone regardless of what date we have it on.
How about whatever day we have it we learn to treat and respect each other better than our ancestors did before us.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:40 pm

amber_fluid wrote:How about whatever day we have it we learn to treat and respect each other better than our ancestors did before us.

This would indeed be a good start! However, what recognition or respect do A&TSI people get on Australia Day?

The day holds value to almost everyone - new arrivals becoming citizens, achievements recognised, games of cricket and beers lol.. but very very little in regards to recognising our actual past.

Over the past few years, the only headlines i've ever heard in regards to A&STI people and Australia Day is "Aboriginal Protestors mar Australia Day celebrations". I've never seen or heard of ATSI's being painted in a positive light on Australia Day (happy to be proven wrong).. this is amplified now with FB and other social media where redneck bogans get on and throw their own 2c in..

I cant stand the line "It's my country, if ya dont like it then f**k off.. Straya c**t!" - especially when a large percentage of those bogans are unemployed, pot smoking deadbeats who are happily living off the system which supports them.

Hmm cant really remember where i was going with this anyway haha - in fact i'm pretty sure i went right off topic :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:42 pm

amber_fluid wrote:I know many aboriginals who don't actually want the date changed as they like and accept it for what it is......good and bad..

I like and accept it for what it is, but i'd still like the date changed - i respect, understand and value the reasons behind pushing for a change.

I still also think a change would bring Australia closer together.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:49 pm

Q. wrote:

Proclamation Day here in SA, should we get rid of that too?? WA day on June 6, that gone too - Days when Europeans started settlements in their colonies??

Are we 100% confident the majority indigenous people here in this country are unhappy with Australia day or think that we are dancing on graves?

As I said it's a day to to acknowledge our past (warts and all) and celebrate "our boundless plains to share"!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Zartan wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:How about whatever day we have it we learn to treat and respect each other better than our ancestors did before us.

This would indeed be a good start! However, what recognition or respect do A&TSI people get on Australia Day?

The day holds value to almost everyone - new arrivals becoming citizens, achievements recognised, games of cricket and beers lol.. but very very little in regards to recognising our actual past.

Over the past few years, the only headlines i've ever heard in regards to A&STI people and Australia Day is "Aboriginal Protestors mar Australia Day celebrations". I've never seen or heard of ATSI's being painted in a positive light on Australia Day (happy to be proven wrong).. this is amplified now with FB and other social media where redneck bogans get on and throw their own 2c in..

I cant stand the line "It's my country, if ya dont like it then f**k off.. Straya c**t!" - especially when a large percentage of those bogans are unemployed, pot smoking deadbeats who are happily living off the system which supports them.

Hmm cant really remember where i was going with this anyway haha - in fact i'm pretty sure i went right off topic :lol:

That's my whole point though...... the actual date is irrelevant.
It's about recognising and respecting people of all nationalities that have come to make this country what it is.
Removing the Union Jack or changing a date won't achieve this IMO.

Education and open discussion is the only way.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:52 pm

Zartan wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:I know many aboriginals who don't actually want the date changed as they like and accept it for what it is......good and bad..

I like and accept it for what it is, but i'd still like the date changed - i respect, understand and value the reasons behind pushing for a change.

I still also think a change would bring Australia closer together.

Are you saying that you (and those that share you point of view) want to make a change so you'll feel better not that they'll feel better??

Isn't that the very thing we are trying to get away from - the paternalistic we'll do this so you can feel good.

That's the whole underlying premise of the philosophy behind the stolen generation.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:53 pm

amber_fluid wrote:That's my whole point though...... the actual date is irrelevant.
It's about recognising and respecting people of all nationalities that have come to make this country what it is.
Removing the Union Jack or changing a date won't achieve this IMO.

Education and open discussion is the only way.

KAPOW! So why not change it then? :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:54 pm

am Bays wrote:Proclamation Day here in SA, should we get rid of that too??

How many young SA people would know what proclamation day is? Everyone just knows of Boxing Day... all this stuff should be getting taught in our schools!
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion