Should Australia Day date be changed?

Yes
32%
No
50%
Don't care
18%

Total votes : 50

Re: Should Australia Day date be changed?

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:09 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Someone saying there should be a referendum on changing the date for Australia Day. I agree
But will we have to put up with the lefty protests afterwards when they get smashed by the normal people of Australia?

So according to you a vast majority of Indigenous people and logical/empathatic people arent normal but racist bogans are?
Wow!
I'm very glad I'm not normal.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:21 pm

This is still the hot topic on my Facebook feed and work etc

I'm still yet to hear one decent reason not to change the date.

While the date is very significant and one of the countries most defining days it should definitely be taught in schools etc but Australia Day should be for all Australians.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:55 pm

Sorry, I don't get it.

Yep, we have made mistakes. Some huge, some small but overall that's what makes a country. Every country would regret things but they still celebrate it. Our country is starting to garner some history, good bad and indifferent. Am I proud of everything we've done as a country - sh1t no! But it's our country. It's the best country in the world and for good reason. And hence I think we should celebrate it.

I think we (as a country) need to move on.

I went to several places on Aus day trying to buy Aus day temporary tattoos/stickers and no one stocked anything. Political correctness gone wrong IMO.

Just my 2c.

Q, Wegs......
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:27 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Sorry, I don't get it.

Its quite simple and easy mate, celebrate this great country's history on an a date when all Australians can not just a select groyp and especially a group that invaded this country bringing genocide, disease, slavery, etc, Jan 26 is the worst possible date for us all to come together.
I'm very encouraged by the way the demand to change the date gets bigger every year, it'll happen eventually, just a matter of time.
All reasonable people should keep up the fight and we will.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby RB » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:40 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Yep, we have made mistakes. Some huge, some small but overall that's what makes a country. Every country would regret things but they still celebrate it. Our country is starting to garner some history, good bad and indifferent. Am I proud of everything we've done as a country - sh1t no! But it's our country. It's the best country in the world and for good reason. And hence I think we should celebrate it.

Sure, but none of that has anything to do with January 26.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby cracka » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Its quite simple and easy mate, celebrate this great country's history on an a date when all Australians can not just a select groyp and especially a group that invaded this country bringing genocide, disease, slavery, etc, Jan 26 is the worst possible date for us all to come together.
I'm very encouraged by the way the demand to change the date gets bigger every year, it'll happen eventually, just a matter of time.

Are you saying that only people who want the date changed are reasonable. :roll:
While I agree the date should be changed, that statement sounds like a preaching lefty & I find them to be the most unreasonable of all.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:42 pm

Wedgie wrote:

I fished and I caught....

I'm encouraged by the demand to change too, it means it's more unlikely to happen. I'll resist it more as the years go by.

All "reasonable" people? I'm reasonable, as I demonstrated in my previous post. If we made Australia Day Sept 23 (my birthday) does that forgive us the past sins we've committed?

FFS, there are bigger issues to contend with but once again we get bogged down in the minutiae.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:11 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

I'm encouraged by the demand to change too, it means it's more unlikely to happen. I'll resist it more as the years go by.

All "reasonable" people? I'm reasonable, as I demonstrated in my previous post. If we made Australia Day Sept 23 (my birthday) does that forgive us the past sins we've committed?

FFS, there are bigger issues to contend with but once again we get bogged down in the minutiae.

September 23 would be good, Bruce Springsteens birthday! :D
And no, nothing will ever forgive the past sins but a change of date will mean we can all celebrate the country together as opposed to celebrating those sins you speak about. No reasonable person could celebrate those sins and Jan 26 is the day those sins began. Jan 26 is such a kick in the guts to First Australians, it says hooray we're all happy you got invaded, raped, enslaved and stole your children. Awful.

PS You asking me what I see as a genuine question hardly invokes trolling and fishing, etc IMHO.

PPS Just like 3d tv I can see things changing, Im pretty good at that ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:16 pm

cracka wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Are you saying that only people who want the date changed are reasonable. :roll:
While I agree the date should be changed, that statement sounds like a preaching lefty & I find them to be the most unreasonable of all.

I couldnt be further from a lefty but you said yourself you think the date should be changed, youre reasonable.
Theres just no logic in it being Jan 26.
Im not a lefty but Im extremely logical in my thoughts and Ill always preach to illogical people.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby RB » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:23 pm

gadj1976 wrote:If we made Australia Day Sept 23 (my birthday) does that forgive us the past sins we've committed?

If you think that's what it's about then you're missing the point.
RB
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:26 pm

Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

And no, nothing will ever forgive the past sins but a change of date will mean we can all celebrate the country together as opposed to celebrating those sins you speak about. No reasonable person could celebrate those sins and Jan 26 is the day those sins began. Jan 26 is such a kick in the guts to First Australians, it says hooray we're all happy you got invaded, raped, enslaved and stole your children. Awful.

PS You asking me what I see as a genine question hardly invokes trolling and fishing, etc IMHO.

All I mean by that is that I knew you'd be looking at the thread! CLOSELY!

Nothing meant by it mate!

Please don't take it personally, I'm taking the pi$$ between mates.

See, I don't see it that way, but of course I won't will I? My issue with it all is that we (as a country) pander to the minority in numerous different things. You (as many others do) see it as the growing majority, but most don't care to protest in the positive, like me! "We" become passive to it and hence things change that we may care about but only complain after the event.

I don't think the flag should change, I don't think Australia day should change, I don't think the republic debate should continue but hey, I'm in the ever increasing minority!
Last edited by gadj1976 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:27 pm

RB wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:If we made Australia Day Sept 23 (my birthday) does that forgive us the past sins we've committed?

Go for it... open canvas....
gadj1976
Coach

Postby cracka » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

PS You asking me what I see as a genuine question hardly invokes trolling and fishing, etc IMHO.

PPS Just like 3d tv I can see things changing, Im pretty good at that ;)

While I agree with you about changing the date, I totally disagree with the above in bold. Maybe I'm only half reasonable.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:10 am

gadj1976 wrote:

This is a standard conservative response to a number of issues - but it doesn't make sense at all

If it really was minutiae to you - why would you resist a change of date so much? (Probably a question for all conservatives)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby therisingblues » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:39 am

Did Australia become Australia on January 26th?
Did a new group of people who eventually displaced Indigenous culture (as well as many other worse sins) arrive on January 26th?
The answers to those two questions is enough to convince me that if the indigenous peoples would like it changed, then it should be changed.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:03 am

bennymacca wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

This is a standard conservative response to a number of issues - but it doesn't make sense at all

If it really was minutiae to you - why would you resist a change of date so much? (Probably a question for all conservatives)

Who's resisting? I'm just having a conversation. I'm very open to anything I can see benefit into, providing there is some logic in the change. That relates to any subject.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:16 am

What is the logic you can't see in this instance?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:39 am

is there a date that everyone will be satisfied with??
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11850 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:53 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:is there a date that everyone will be satisfied with??

Any date besides Jan 26 is fine with me. Prefer Jan 1 as its the day we became a nation in 1901.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby RB » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:41 am

gadj1976 wrote:
RB wrote:

Go for it... open canvas....

Those favouring a date change don't do so because they think moving the date will 'forgive past sins' or achieve reconciliation or improve the lives of our indigenous people in any material way. It is also pretty silly of people to insinuate that those who favour a date change will simply forget about past injustices if 26th January ceases to be Australia Day.

Though we can't (and shouldn't) forget what happened on 26 January 1788, we as Australians can choose our own national day. Simply, 26th January for a number of reasons just isn't, IMO, the most appropriate day. Myself and millions of other people feel that a much better choice would be a day when all Australians can celebrate - this is what this debate is about.
RB
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion