Should Australia Day date be changed?

Yes
32%
No
50%
Don't care
18%

Total votes : 50

Re: Should Australia Day date be changed?

Postby RB » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:42 am

Wedgie wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:is there a date that everyone will be satisfied with??

Any date besides Jan 26 is fine with me. Prefer Jan 1 as its the day we became a nation in 1901.

Agree with this for now although there would have to be two public holidays!

I would also favour having it on Republic Day if that happens at some point in the future.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:25 am

Wedgie wrote:

Any date besides Jan 26 is fine with me. Prefer Jan 1 as its the day we became a nation in 1901.

This may be your view, but what about indigenous who would see this as the day white man decided on something for their land without consultation?

Me, I'd like Australia Day on January 26 to be commemorated like Anzac Day is, if Australians, of all race, used the day to acknowledge wrong doings of the past and made it a day to further recognize the indigenous people of the land perhaps we could move forward together. Let's change the mindset to commemorate, not celebrate.

To those on both ends of the rally spectrum, those who drive the utes with the Southern Cross tattoo's yelling "Love it or **** off" and to those who sit down, interrupting a peaceful march to make their Invasion Day statement, both of you are causing more harm than good by displaying your form of "patriotism". The day has descended into one of drunken debauchery and hatred and I think it's deplorable.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:30 am

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

This may be your view, but what about indigenous who would see this as the day white man decided on something for their land without consultation?

Me, I'd like Australia Day on January 26 to be commemorated like Anzac Day is, if Australians, of all race, used the day to acknowledge wrong doings of the past and made it a day to further recognize the indigenous people of the land perhaps we could move forward together. Let's change the mindset to commemorate, not celebrate.

To those on both ends of the rally spectrum, those who drive the utes with the Southern Cross tattoo's yelling "Love it or **** off" and to those who sit down, interrupting a peaceful march to make their Invasion Day statement, both of you are causing more harm than good by displaying your form of "patriotism". The day has descended into one of drunken debauchery and hatred and I think it's deplorable.

Fair point about Jan 1 since indigenous people couldnt vote back then.
Gadjs birthday it is then! ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby RB » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:30 am

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

I've never heard an indigenous person say that, but if that view was expressed by indigenous people then obviously I wouldn't favour 1 January. Also, some indigenous people voted in the federation referenda in 1899-1900.
RB
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:45 am

RB wrote:
Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

I've never heard an indigenous person say that, but if that view was expressed by indigenous people then obviously I wouldn't favour 1 January. Also, some indigenous people voted in the federation referenda in 1899-1900.

The point I was making is it's unlikely any day of significance in our history would be acceptable to all indigenous people.

On July 9, 1900, the constitution was given Royal assent ( or became law ) . On January 1, 1901, it commenced. At this point indigenous people were not recognized in this document. I don't see these dates being accepted.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:48 am

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:
Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:[quote="mighty_tiger_79"]is there a date that everyone will be satisfied with??

The point I was making is it's unlikely any day of significance in our history would be acceptable to all indigenous people.

On July 9, 1900, the constitution was given Royal assent ( or became law ) . On January 1, 1901, it commenced. At this point indigenous people were not recognized in this document. I don't see these dates being accepted.[/quote]

That's still not an argument to keep the current date though
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:50 am

It's not an argument for change either...

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:52 am

bennymacca wrote:
That's still not an argument to keep the current date though

I agree, but any date must be one of significance in our history.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RB » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:57 am

Booney wrote:On January 1, 1901, it commenced. At this point indigenous people were not recognized in this document.

Again, that isn't really true. In fact section 25 penalised states which didn't allow indigenous people to vote. A majority of states allowed indigenous people to vote, and the federal Election Act which followed 1901 made it easy for all people to vote (e.g. by getting rid of property qualifications).

I agree that if indigenous people don't want 1 January, then we shouldn't choose that date. However, what happened on 1 January is very, very different to what happened on 26 January and I would be surprised if there were much opposition to this date other than the fact that it's also New Years Day.

I guess my point is that we need to choose a day that makes it easy for people to celebrate Australia Day. I mean, it's just common sense to choose an inclusive, non-controversial date (and one that has significance for all states, not just NSW). As Wedgie says, 26 January is the worst day you could choose if you want a date that is not divisive.
RB
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:01 am

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Probably a workable solution. Reminds me a little of Footy Chick's post a couple of pages back referencing "Columbus Day" in the U.S where there is an emphasis on indigenous issues.
Completely agree with your assessment of those on either extreme of the debate. Both doing way more harm than good.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby cracka » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:10 am

One reason I see need to change the date is because Jan 26th is when NSW was founded, not Australia.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Fair point about Jan 1 since indigenous people couldnt vote back then.
Gadjs birthday it is then! ;)

And Wegs, not trying to be a smart ar$e, this is my point.

The 26th "seems" to be the date for us to celebrate it, sans any other legitimate day. As I said, I'm all for changing it but I think each day will have it's issues.

And as you mentioned, I share it with Bruce Springsteen, what greater Australian can you have? :D
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:07 pm

Why does it have to be on a date that a historic event occured

We are only a young country, why don't we create history.

I couldn't care if it was Jan 13th, Feb 2nd etc etc

As long as all Australians can celebrate the day then I'm happy, after all it's about celebrating our country not celebrating a historic event. As long as there is beers, BBQ, back yard cricket, a footy, the sun out I'm happy
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:16 pm

How about we change it to the day when we actually decide to change it? I.e. If on February 9th parliament decides that Australia day should be changed then we could change it to the date of the decision: Feb 9th.
Just putting it out there...
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:18 pm

We should hurry up and become a republic then we can change it to that date.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:19 pm

...and one more thing. Does anyone apart from me feel ripped off that Federation day is New Year's day? Shouldn't we be getting an automatic holiday on January 2nd to make up for it?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:24 pm

whufc wrote:Why does it have to be on a date that a historic event occured

As long as all Australians can celebrate the day then I'm happy, after all it's about celebrating our country not celebrating a historic event. As long as there is beers, BBQ, back yard cricket, a footy, the sun out I'm happy

What? Are you proposing just selecting a random date for the **** of it?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:25 pm

therisingblues wrote:How about we change it to the day when we actually decide to change it? I.e. If on February 9th parliament decides that Australia day should be changed then we could change it to the date of the decision: Feb 9th.

I'm hearing you.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:28 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Why does it have to be on a date that a historic event occured

What? Are you proposing just selecting a random date for the **** of it?

Would it change the way you celebrate Australia Day if we did.

A random date would mean we can celebrate what we have become not what we have done in the past

Why not make the day in February when school is back so that way schools can help to educate children on our Australia history and really get all children involved
Last edited by whufc on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RB » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:30 pm

therisingblues wrote:How about we change it to the day when we actually decide to change it? I.e. If on February 9th parliament decides that Australia day should be changed then we could change it to the date of the decision: Feb 9th.

I think we could pick a more interesting date than that...
RB
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion