Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Wedgie wrote:Won $625 at the Hope Inn today in a free raffle. God bless you Mick Redden for having me pick no 42 in jag the joker.
This pub gets 10/10 from me!

PS Had an awesome rump steak for $12 too!

Big Red=God!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3482 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Wedgie wrote:Won $625 at the Hope Inn today in a free raffle. God bless you Mick Redden for having me pick no 42 in jag the joker.
This pub gets 10/10 from me!

PS Had an awesome rump steak for $12 too!

Big Red=God!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3482 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Johno6 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:45 am

I am heading to Angus & Co on Melbourne street tonight,
has anyone here been there?
any good or recommendations from menu?

once again didn't search thread so apologise if already answered
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:10 am

Ventured to Tumby Bay two weekends ago

Tumby Bay Htl

First up got to say not the best night to go as not long after we ordered the whole town lost Power in those storms - fix it Jai

Schnitzel night four schnitties eaten in darkness - apparently the visitors didn't need a candle but the large table of locals got three and the empty table next to us got one

The ordering was chaotic - can we get a table number? "I'll bring it over" wait for a while go up and order despite being in a queue a local to the side of the queue side get's there order taken before u. "What's your table number?" - um we're still waiting for you to bring it over..... In her defence it was just her taking orders, trying to man the bar and one other girl doing table service.

Schnitty's on the small side, OK for pub food 4/10 with some marks given for having to cope with the blackout. reminded me of an ALM pub.

Seabreeze hotel

Having lighting was a bonus - the large windows over looking the gulf helped with the ambiance and the power being on helped.

Fri nite Steak night so i went the rump, Missus crumbed whiting, Miss am bays salt and pepper squid Mst am bays schnitty with sauce.

My steak was a poor cut and fatty cooked OK more rare than the medium rare IMO that I ordered but still within the realms of how I like it. I stuffed up ordering the Dianne sauce - should have gone the mushroom.

Missus loved her fish. S&P squid over-cooked (not uncommon) and the schnitty was devoured.

Service much better largely due to having more staff - maybe the bloke was supposed to be in the bar but he was having a crack at the bar wenches....

6/10.

Over all good spot Tumby Bay we'll be back to to both pubs next time one to see if it was just a one off and the other to get the mushroom gravy next time.

Modra's apartments are good to stay at.

Getting orders right is a challenge not unique to the TBH either - Sat nite we went to have a BBQ in in the grounds of the apartments so went and Ordered three porterhouse and one Rib eye. Go to fire up the BBQ and the local yokel apprentice couldn't count past two porterhouse. So my rib eye got cut into two porterhouses....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:16 am

Hope you tried the bakery am bays, great banana caramel pies.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:22 am

Brodlach wrote:Hope you tried the bakery am bays, great banana caramel pies.

Went there friday

With the power out Thu night they couldn't get their full range of baking done the night before.

Was good without being great IMO.,E.g beef and mushroom pie was mince and mushrooms - Yank bakery and other country bakeries you get actual beef.

Don't get me wrong it was nice in my belly and filled a hole which kept me going whilst I donated squid pieces to the leather jackets under the jetty that afternoon

Was amazed they don't open on a Sat at least until 12 noon.

As i said, as a family, we're keen to go back to Tumby Bay again for a longer stay.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:26 am

am Bays wrote:Ventured to Tumby Bay two weekends ago

Tumby Bay Htl

First up got to say not the best night to go as not long after we ordered the whole town lost Power in those storms - fix it Jai

Schnitzel night four schnitties eaten in darkness - apparently the visitors didn't need a candle but the large table of locals got three and the empty table next to us got one

The ordering was chaotic - can we get a table number? "I'll bring it over" wait for a while go up and order despite being in a queue a local to the side of the queue side get's there order taken before u. "What's your table number?" - um we're still waiting for you to bring it over..... In her defence it was just her taking orders, trying to man the bar and one other girl doing table service.

Schnitty's on the small side, OK for pub food 4/10 with some marks given for having to cope with the blackout. reminded me of an ALM pub.

Seabreeze hotel

Having lighting was a bonus - the large windows over looking the gulf helped with the ambiance and the power being on helped.

Fri nite Steak night so i went the rump, Missus crumbed whiting, Miss am bays salt and pepper squid Mst am bays schnitty with sauce.

My steak was a poor cut and fatty cooked OK more rare than the medium rare IMO that I ordered but still within the realms of how I like it. I stuffed up ordering the Dianne sauce - should have gone the mushroom.

Missus loved her fish. S&P squid over-cooked (not uncommon) and the schnitty was devoured.

Service much better largely due to having more staff - maybe the bloke was supposed to be in the bar but he was having a crack at the bar wenches....

6/10.

Over all good spot Tumby Bay we'll be back to to both pubs next time one to see if it was just a one off and the other to get the mushroom gravy next time.

Modra's apartments are good to stay at.

Getting orders right is a challenge not unique to the TBH either - Sat nite we went to have a BBQ in in the grounds of the apartments so went and Ordered three porterhouse and one Rib eye. Go to fire up the BBQ and the local yokel apprentice couldn't count past two porterhouse. So my rib eye got cut into two porterhouses....

FFS my locals :oops: I was at the Seabreeze when the power went out but they have a generator :)

Both of them are owned by the same company.

Endured a lunchtime debacle at the Seabreeze during a lunch break of a local Association cricket match. Luckily our opponents were our near neighbors from over the hill :roll: and time taken was certainly longer than a meal break during a Test Match.

At the Red Roof given the intelligence of some of the young staff I'm not the least bit surprised. But I'm told by a director of the company that owns the joint that one of these said dumbos is the best employee he's ever had :shock: hopefully that is just in the under 21 age bracket because that is a huge call!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:53 am

Gin Long Canteen on O'Connell Street. 9.5 out of 10.

Highlights included pretty much everything, with particular mentions going to the lychee duck curry, some slow roasted beef that melted in your mouth, a red beef curry that had a sauce to die for, and a ginger creme brulee. Food came out super quick (mind you, we were there for an early dinner).

All in all, 4 mains, one salad, an entree, a dessert, a drink each, rice and another side for $200. Not bad for 5 people given how awesome the food was.

If you like your Asian food with a bit of a funky modern (but not wanky) twist, get along there pronto.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby The Ash Man » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:03 am

Thats Amore at Highbury

Went last night for my brothers birthday and wanted to stay local

Been many times before and the food never disappoints.

Last night my 15mo nephew and my nearly 5 were running amok around the restaurant as they had finished their meals and we had just started.

I got up to go grab them both when a staff member told me to go sit down and they are fine.

5 minutes later the 2 boys are playing Lego on the floor with 3 staff members and the owner.

For me, this is above and beyond and shows why supporting local, family owned businesses is worth it.
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:59 am

Imho the Kensington Hotel is going downhill. It seems like they trying to dress up basic pub food as 'fine dining' and are charging accordingly as well as having some of the most expensive beer prices in Adelaide.

On a positive note, The Broadway at Glenelg is like what the Kensington used to be and I've got to give the thumbs up to the Wellington hotel in North Adelaide as well as the Hampstead Hotel which has great value and is definitely one of the better punting setups in Adelaide
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby Psyber » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:59 pm

ORDoubleBlues wrote:Imho the Kensington Hotel is going downhill. It seems like they trying to dress up basic pub food as 'fine dining' and are charging accordingly as well as having some of the most expensive beer prices in Adelaide.

On a positive note, The Broadway at Glenelg is like what the Kensington used to be and I've got to give the thumbs up to the Wellington hotel in North Adelaide as well as the Hampstead Hotel which has great value and is definitely one of the better punting setups in Adelaide

Most pubs are doing that it seems. I'm a plain food man and now every dish seems to be full of strange bits and pieces of currently fashionable muck I don't want to eat, let alone pay more for it!

My old schoolmates group have just voted to abandon the Buckingham Arms as our regular venue for that reason.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Magellan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:09 pm

Psyber wrote:
ORDoubleBlues wrote:Imho the Kensington Hotel is going downhill. It seems like they trying to dress up basic pub food as 'fine dining' and are charging accordingly as well as having some of the most expensive beer prices in Adelaide.

Most pubs are doing that it seems. I'm a plain food man and now every dish seems to be full of strange bits and pieces of currently fashionable muck I don't want to eat, let alone pay more for it!

100% spot on, and it's been happening for quite a while now IMHO. Pubs aren't restaurants and shouldn't try to be, plain and simple.

As far as the Kensington is concerned, never really thought much of it. Always preferred the Rising Sun, although that's a bit different - a pub with a restaurant attached (and a bloody good one too).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:16 am

Pub Food should be grilled, fried or roasted.

If it isn't, it's not Pub food and Pubs shouldn't try to do anything other than the above.
am Bays
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:24 am

am Bays wrote:Pub Food should be grilled, fried or roasted.

Correct weight and all clear.

am Bays also wrote:If it isn't, it's not Pub food and Pubs shouldn't try to do anything other than the above.

Such as curries.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:45 am

Magellan wrote:
am Bays wrote:Pub Food should be grilled, fried or roasted.

Correct weight and all clear.

am Bays also wrote:If it isn't, it's not Pub food and Pubs shouldn't try to do anything other than the above.

Such as curries.

Yep, worked in enough pubs to know chefs don't order meat in for curries. She's all off cuts & shit.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:28 am

Magellan wrote:
Psyber wrote:

100% spot on, and it's been happening for quite a while now IMHO. Pubs aren't restaurants and shouldn't try to be, plain and simple.

As far as the Kensington is concerned, never really thought much of it. Always preferred the Rising Sun, although that's a bit different - a pub with a restaurant attached (and a bloody good one too).

The Kensi has been crapola for a long time - I hate going there
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:45 am

The Britannia Hotel goes alright.
We quite often go there as the kids like it for some reason.....
Good pub grub at good prices.....nothing more, nothing less.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2514 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Boonys - Pt Noarlunga.
2nd time there for us.

6 of us last night for dinner.

Mrs and her sister ordered chicken schnitty with mushroom gravy. It was a creamy mushroom gravy and the SIL is no good with cream.
Explained it to one of the owners and said we would pay for another one, but no, they insisted they would fix it up even though it wasn't there error. Sensational.

The entrees if garlic bread and a trio of dips were quite tasty.

The Boony burgers got good reviews from the other 2 blokes at the table.
I shared a seafood platter which was just sensational.
The schnitty were quite thick, juicy with a nice crumb.

Had a chocolate and Bailey's dessert while another had the berry meringue.
Mine was delish and got a good review on the meringue.

The service is brilliant.
Prices are very reasonable.
Has a really good ambience about it, very similar to a poster with the same name...

Service alone is a 10.
Food was a solid 9
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:41 am

Well, I know where I'm heading this Sunday!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby JK » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:41 am

10 of us at Estia's yesterday for an annual Valentines lunch. Went a banquet which included:

5 different dips with Pita Bread
Chilli Olives
Meatballs
Zucchini and Cheese Balls
Calamari
Greek Salads
Lamb
Chicken

Copious amounts of Wine, beer, cider, whiskey and cocktails were had (then again at Surf Club, Bacchus and Ramsgate).

Excellent service, food as good as always (never had a bad meal there). Bit sluggish today though.

8.0/10
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion