Should Australia Day date be changed?

Yes
32%
No
50%
Don't care
18%

Total votes : 50

Re: Should Australia Day date be changed?

Postby Q. » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:40 pm

It was implied.

Most people won't like it being pointed out that they're racist, even if the argument is calm and rational. Platforms for hate were being taken away, and quite clearly, a lot of people still want those platforms.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Most people don't handle criticism well. But most people don't criticise well. Engaging someone thoughtfully to confront a flaw can easily feel like a personal attack.
Q.
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:59 pm

I just had a thought.... does Choc Mundine refer to himself as "Choc"? If so, wouldn't that be inviting racism by anyone who called him that?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:04 pm

Well, I don't think people who may not have all the knowledge of Australias history are automatically racist, as is implied by a lot of people advocating the change of date.

If you want a calm and rational discussion, you probably shouldn't tell someone they're a racist at the beginning.

If they're calling people derogatory names or being actively offensive, go nuts. But a lot of people that have never had to even consider Australias history are automatically classed as racists.

Being uninformed isn't being racist. You've gotta learn the facts from somewhere.

If you want to educate someone, tell them what you know about the subject. Don't start with an accusation as inflammatory as being a racist.

Do school teachers start with "We're going to learn about parallelograms today. You're all idiots for not knowing this already."?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:15 pm

gadj1976 wrote:I just had a thought.... does Choc Mundine refer to himself as "Choc"? If so, wouldn't that be inviting racism by anyone who called him that?

Hardly, seeing as one of his grandparents gave it to him because of his love of chocolate.
He also calls himself The Man, is that inviting sexism? :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:15 pm

Wedgie wrote:He also calls himself The Man, is that inviting sexism? :lol:

Luckily no one else calls him that........ ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Grenville » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:14 pm

Q. wrote:Most people don't handle criticism well. But most people don't criticise well. Engaging someone thoughtfully to confront a flaw can easily feel like a personal attack.

A perceived flaw perhaps, just because one person's opinion on something differs to another doesn't necessarily make it a fact or flaw. It's just that, an opinion.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Q. » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Grenville wrote:
Q. wrote:Most people don't handle criticism well. But most people don't criticise well. Engaging someone thoughtfully to confront a flaw can easily feel like a personal attack.

A perceived flaw perhaps, just because one person's opinion on something differs to another doesn't necessarily make it a fact or flaw. It's just that, an opinion.

"People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Opinions are usually very revealing.
Q.
Coach

Postby Ronnie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Q. wrote:
Grenville wrote:

"People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sure, but what happens when good people disagree on issues? You can't reduce everything to a good v bad scenario.

Good people disagree on a whole range of issues, it doesn't make them morally inferior if they disagree with your view of the world.
The worst thing that can happen is if you think that everyone that disagrees with your is somehow a lesser being, for holding contrary views. Your set for a massive fall somewhere along the line if you go around thinking you know best. You don't , no one does.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Grenville » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:01 pm

Q. wrote:
Grenville wrote:

Indeed they are, on both sides of a discussion. There are many ignorant people who know not that their opinion is a confession of character. There are also many who are fully aware of who they are as a person is reflected in their views. If people wish to perceive either of these groups in a certain light that is their prerogative, it doesn't necessarily mean they are correct.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Q. » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:01 pm

Ronnie wrote:
Q. wrote:
Grenville wrote:

Sure, but what happens when good people disagree on issues? You can't reduce everything to a good v bad scenario.

Good people disagree on a whole range of issues, it doesn't make them morally inferior if they disagree with your view of the world.
The worst thing that can happen is if you think that everyone that disagrees with your is somehow a lesser being, for holding contrary views. Your set for a massive fall somewhere along the line if you go around thinking you know best. You don't , no one does.

Not all disagreements are moral ones. But even moral claims can be backed or refuted with evidence.
Q.
Coach

Postby Grenville » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Indeed, on both sides. Again, it comes simply down to an opinion.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Grenville wrote:Indeed, on both sides. Again, it comes simply down to an opinion.

Structured arguments with facts are also different to opinion and people often think these should carry equal weight.

The problem is in politics the evidence is sometimes not clear.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Q. » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Grenville wrote:Indeed, on both sides. Again, it comes simply down to an opinion.

Actually it comes down to evidence, facts, and stats.

Anyone can have an opinion.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:37 pm

If you're opinion is based on flawed reasoning, expect your flaws to be corrected.
Q.
Coach

Postby Grenville » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:13 pm

There can also be structured arguements with facts, evidence and stats on both sides of an discussion. How one promotes one's case can make one's case somewhat more compelling to some. 'Flawed' reasoning can more often than not be up to the interpretation of those who wish it to be so, it doesn't always make them right. You can attempt to 'correct' someone's flaws if you wish, you will generally not find a particularly receptive audience, neither will it necessarily make you correct. Only in your eyes and those that share similar beliefs. The same can also be applied to those on the opposing side of a discussion. Life would be very dull if everyone marched to a single drum. I have enjoyed the repartee that results from a passionate discussion such as this Q, but we are, however, seemingly on an eternal roundabout from which neither of us are willing to alight. Might I suggest we sheath our rapiers for the meantime and resume hostilities at another juncture.

P.S. I am going to Melbourne to watch Hawthorn v Collingwood this season, I'll bring the petrol, you bring the match to the verbal stoush.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:01 pm

Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:I just had a thought.... does Choc Mundine refer to himself as "Choc"? If so, wouldn't that be inviting racism by anyone who called him that?

Hardly, seeing as one of his grandparents gave it to him because of his love of chocolate.

ABBAsolutely! I didn't know the reference Wegs, thanks bud.

I know Choc Williams was called Choc cos of his skin colour maybe I mixed them up. Sorry!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Pseudo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:21 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

ABBAsolutely! I didn't know the reference Wegs, thanks bud.

I know Choc Williams was called Choc cos of his skin colour maybe I mixed them up. Sorry!

I thought Choco was called Choco 'cos he had a fondness for Choc Wedges as a kid?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby RB » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:55 pm

^Pretty sure Pseudo's explanation is correct.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Wedgie wrote:

No but it does invite criticism of his arrogance perhaps...

Whining about the fight decision after he should have been disqualified for that shot from behind during the referee's separation also has that effect.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion