AFLW - Womens AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby Brodlach » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:10 pm

locky801 wrote:Got my Crows hero in this league Sarah "Tex" Perkins, huge girl but has some serious talent

That's the chick who has lost 40 kg since June

Got some skill too
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Brodlach » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Tuned in for the third quarter out of curiosity. The standard is beneath that of a SANFL reserves match. Does not bode well for the local womens' league. I shall continue to watch in the vague hope that one of the players gets dacked in a tackle. :twisted:

Got me thinking... what would most girls be going with under the shorts.... bikini bottom, in the way some blokes go for the budgie smugglers, G Banger, Something from The Victoria secrets collection, full commando?

The Bulldogs chick that was dacked was wearing high band blue briefs :lol:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby MW » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:27 pm

I took my daughter this arvo...gotta say the standard bar a few was pathetic. Hope it was just the weather but the field kicking was like watching an U13 B grade game
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby southee » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:11 pm

locky801 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Ground looks great too

Kicking skills better in this game than last nights

Apart from Phillips goal kicking :oops:

....and her stage diving !!! Must of been taught by Wanganeen at Port !!! Laughable stuff !!
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby RB » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:23 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Several of the girls were playing their first proper game of footy!

That's my only criticism of this comp.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:05 pm

Brodlach wrote:
locky801 wrote:Got my Crows hero in this league Sarah "Tex" Perkins, huge girl but has some serious talent

That's the chick who has lost 40 kg since June

Got some skill too

If Roughie had a Sister....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:21 pm

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. The standard is terrible but realistically what do you expect?

Give me a game of local footy over an AFL game any day. It's still real footy and the standard compared to AFL is absolutely garbage.

One thing I will note though- The holding the ball and pulling the ball in rule was umpired completely different to a men's match.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Tuned in for the third quarter out of curiosity. The standard is beneath that of a SANFL reserves match. Does not bode well for the local womens' league. I shall continue to watch in the vague hope that one of the players gets dacked in a tackle. :twisted:

Got me thinking... what would most girls be going with under the shorts.... bikini bottom, in the way some blokes go for the budgie smugglers, G Banger, Something from The Victoria secrets collection, full commando?

The Bulldogs chick that was dacked was wearing high band blue briefs :lol:

Pics or it didn't happen. :twisted:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Please, it's a joke.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby MW » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:19 pm

It was never going to be the same standard as the men
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Again, it's free entry and free to air. What else do you expect when you tune in?

I understand all points of view, it's an average standard and it's not even div 7- sorry but a div 7 game in those conditions would have put through a lot more than 5 goals. I do love the local feel though!
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:21 pm

Obviously it's the first weekend but I'm more curious to see how the umpiring and MRP goes going forward. Seen numerous decisions with dragging in the footy called as ball ups and the HTB rule umpired a bit more to the conditions.

A few head high shots over the weekend too. Not being soft I actually like the umpiring better...
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:58 am

While the skills were perhaps below what I expected across the board ( the top end certainly showed some decent touch in places ) the intent was far more intense than I thought it would be. You can't question the endeavor of the girls, really enjoyed the competitive aspect of the patches of games I saw.

For those knocking it, if you can't see how happy it makes the girls playing it, how proud it made their families and friends and the fact some 35,000 or more people went to the games over the weekend then you're lacking a heart I reckon.

It will never be as good as the mens game we all know that but that's not the reason it's upon us. If you don't like it put the chip packet aside and hit another button on the remote.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:02 am

Booney wrote:While the skills were perhaps below what I expected across the board ( the top end certainly showed some decent touch in places ) the intent was far more intense than I thought it would be. You can't question the endeavor of the girls, really enjoyed the competitive aspect of the patches of games I saw.

For those knocking it, if you can't see how happy it makes the girls playing it, how proud it made their families and friends and the fact some 35,000 or more people went to the games over the weekend then you're lacking a heart I reckon.

It will never be as good as the mens game we all know that but that's not the reason it's upon us. If you don't like it put the chip packet aside and hit another button on the remote.

Very well said
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Fricky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:48 am

I really enjoyed taking my two little girls to the footy, 5 and 6 yrs old. The older one was very keen to watch the girls as she's really into footy and loves having a kick around when I take her to Walkerville. I didn't expect the skill level to be fantastic but it think the best part of the games were that they all had a red hot go and didn't back out of contests. Over time the gap in skill between the top end players and the bottom end ones will get smaller but the top end talent is good to watch.

I'm expecting the crowds to drop over the next few weeks but that's to be expected. I'm planning on taking my girls to a few more games.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:02 am

Ill watch it but think they have made a mistake of having 8 teams, perhaps 6 or even 4 should have been the number, the talent is spread to thin with little depth and will only get worse with injuries taking their toll.

I was impressed with the attack on the ball and the body, they certainly have a crack. I actually thought it might be a quick outside style game, but its quite the opposite. What is lacking is the quick instinctive handball to get the ball from the inside to the outside runners. If a team can nail this they will dominate.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:04 am

Ill also add they have hit a sweet spot in the sporting calender, after cricket and before footy (where everyone is hanging out for footy to start)

I hear they are going to have a double header this Friday night at Carlton? Seems weird as there was a lockout for one game last Friday, now they have 2???
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:14 am

Dutchy wrote:Ill also add they have hit a sweet spot in the sporting calender, after cricket and before footy (where everyone is hanging out for footy to start)

I hear they are going to have a double header this Friday night at Carlton? Seems weird as there was a lockout for one game last Friday, now they have 2???

Yep, the AFL timed the opening round to perfection. Cricket Australia could learn a thing or two from the AFL re-timing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:15 am

Dutchy wrote:Ill watch it but think they have made a mistake of having 8 teams, perhaps 6 or even 4 should have been the number, the talent is spread to thin with little depth and will only get worse with injuries taking their toll.

I was impressed with the attack on the ball and the body, they certainly have a crack. I actually thought it might be a quick outside style game, but its quite the opposite. What is lacking is the quick instinctive handball to get the ball from the inside to the outside runners. If a team can nail this they will dominate.

If they leave it at 8 teams for the next 3 years I think we'll see the standard rise. The AFL are smarter than Cricket Australia who whore out a successful concept ( See BBL ), whereas the AFL I think will be a little more circumspect with the AFLW competition progressing beyond 8 teams.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Fricky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Ill watch it but think they have made a mistake of having 8 teams, perhaps 6 or even 4 should have been the number, the talent is spread to thin with little depth and will only get worse with injuries taking their toll.

If they leave it at 8 teams for the next 3 years I think we'll see the standard rise. The AFL are smarter than Cricket Australia who whore out a successful concept ( See BBL ), whereas the AFL I think will be a little more circumspect with the AFLW competition progressing beyond 8 teams.

I know they want to expand it to 18 teams eventually but if they follow your thought boney about leaving it at 8 teams for at least the next few years it will help improve the talent across the comp. Girls footy keeps growing and by the time new teams come into this comp you'll be seeing girls who've played footy their entire life and have the skills to show for it.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL