AFLW - Womens AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby The Bedge » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:22 am

Women's footy is a win for me. I'm in a household with the mrs and 3x girls. The eldest girl plays U15's girls footy, the two youngest 5yrs love both footy and anything to do with girls.

Friday night they all sat and watched the Carlton/Collingwood game and were excited about seeing girls play footy on tv off their own will (usually off playing or whatever), then Saturday they wanted to head down and watch the Crows game while i was at cricket.

It's obviously sparked a level of interest in them, and that's great for me - love to see them being more active and having an interest in something outside of iPads etc!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:24 pm

I quite enjoyed watching the lady Crows the intensity and attack on the ball surprised me, the skills aren't quite there but they will come in time. I often found myself watching more of that game on the TV then the stream on the computer of the 36ers game that was on at the same time. I even bought the Sunday Mail to read all the match report stuff. I was really impressed with Ebony Marinoff & Erin Phillips.

It's a great thing for young girls to inspire them and dream of one day playing footy at the highest level.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:43 pm

My wife (who has played women's football) took my 2.5 year old daughter to the game. My daughter loved it, and also was luckily enough to get a signed ball by and photo with Courtney Cramey - SA captain and one of the stalwarts of SA women's footy. She hasn't put it down and still telling everyone she saw the 'Adelaide Crows play' .

I watched 3 of the 4 games, 2 had wet conditions which would have been difficult for anyone. GWS also had their 2 marquee players not playing which doesn't help the skill level....

I also wouldn't compare both men and women's sport. Apples and Oranges. Looking at the women's games in isolation, IMO its a winner and will only get stronger in the years to come. People will still attend (maybe not at the level of the weekend but it will be viable) and skills will improve. With the comp being held early, these players with now 'elite' coaching/competition under there belt will filter back to the SANFL and the local level imparting there experience and knowledge.... win win - on a side note, there are far better players to young to play this year who have been training with the squads ready for next year. One i know dominated the crows intra trial but is only 17.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:58 pm

I'm a fan. They really got stuck in, some really physical football was played. I reckon it's the lack of running power that detracts from the skill a little. Every possession is under the pump because there isn't as much run to space. Some of the shots at goal by the Crows in particular was impressive. That chick who kicked four goals for the Blues was awesome. Watching the Freo game I thought Ross was coaching that side as well with their one loose down the back and tagging players on the guns of the Bulldogs. The Doggies shook them off and played some bloody good football. I think they might be tough to beat because Freo looked ok too. GWS look a fair way off it, didn't see the Demons v Brions game.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:12 pm

How will we approach the topic of identifying the "talent" in the sides without being a sexist pig?

Mrs Boon raised the topic with me, saying how "Can you talk about the girls like I talk about some of the boys without getting in trouble?" ( I wouldn't got in trouble with her, but with the wider female population )

I'm not sure I/we can.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:32 pm

I found myself saying "good girl" when one of the players did something good...but I don't say "good boy" when a bloke does something good on the field. Strange...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Feenix » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:26 pm

I found it interesting how congested it was considering its only 16 a side, I thought this would have opened the game up a lot.
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Feenix wrote:I found it interesting how congested it was considering its only 16 a side, I thought this would have opened the game up a lot.

Agreed. Adelaide seemed to go with the pace and run philosophy ahead of the skills side ( that's what the coach suggested ) and as Dutchy noted in the thread, the first side to develop instinctive "get out" hand balls from the contest will open things right up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Whilst I haven't and probably won't have much interest in the women's league, my 8 year old daughter loves it and is now a crows fan in the women's league.
I guess I'm going to some crows games now!

At the end of the day it's not a replacement for the men's game but an alternative for those who choose so.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:19 pm

I think there will be a large correction to the crowds in the coming weeks. Expect the Crows to plateau around 4000 I reckon.
MW
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:42 pm

I thought it was shit and won't be watching any more games. Good on em for having a go but I have no interest watching it as it does nothing for me whatsoever.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Fricky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:43 pm

MW wrote:I think there will be a large correction to the crowds in the coming weeks. Expect the Crows to plateau around 4000 I reckon.

I agree but it can also depend on the results. If the crows win on Friday against the Bulldogs in Melbourne I would think their next game (Thebby) will be well attended again. As soon as teams are no longer a chance of the GF their crowds will drop, no different from the usual season.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Jim05 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:58 pm

MW wrote:I think there will be a large correction to the crowds in the coming weeks. Expect the Crows to plateau around 4000 I reckon.

The mythical Crows promise of 4000 hey[emoji57]
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:23 pm

Footy Smart wrote:My wife (who has played women's football) took my 2.5 year old daughter to the game. My daughter loved it, and also was luckily enough to get a signed ball by and photo with Courtney Cramey - SA captain and one of the stalwarts of SA women's footy. She hasn't put it down and still telling everyone she saw the 'Adelaide Crows play' .

I watched 3 of the 4 games, 2 had wet conditions which would have been difficult for anyone. GWS also had their 2 marquee players not playing which doesn't help the skill level....

I also wouldn't compare both men and women's sport. Apples and Oranges. Looking at the women's games in isolation, IMO its a winner and will only get stronger in the years to come. People will still attend (maybe not at the level of the weekend but it will be viable) and skills will improve. With the comp being held early, these players with now 'elite' coaching/competition under there belt will filter back to the SANFL and the local level imparting there experience and knowledge.... win win - on a side note, there are far better players to young to play this year who have been training with the squads ready for next year. One i know dominated the crows intra trial but is only 17.

Is that the SA captain or is she the Crows captain? Id hate you Crows fans to get confused about your place in the football landscape of this state again
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Trader » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:15 pm

Booney wrote:
Feenix wrote:I found it interesting how congested it was considering its only 16 a side, I thought this would have opened the game up a lot.

Agreed. Adelaide seemed to go with the pace and run philosophy ahead of the skills side ( that's what the coach suggested ) and as Dutchy noted in the thread, the first side to develop instinctive "get out" hand balls from the contest will open things right up.

I think it is to do with the fact they simply don't kick the ball as far. Sure, there was that crows girl who kicked it 45, but that's not the norm. Men generally can kick it 50, with the bigger kicks pushing 65, for the women it seems to be 35-50.

Taking 30% off the kick means very thing is squashed up a little more.

That together with it taking 6 or 7 possies to go from one end to the other, compared with say 3-4 for the men, means the players also have more time to move from one end to the other, further congesting the game.

These things will improve in time as the skills get better, and the first give becomes more instinctive, but for the early part, it will have elements that resemble an auskick game with a pack of players following the ball all over the ground.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:18 pm

Jim05 wrote:

The mythical Crows promise of 4000 hey[emoji57]

Whatever keeps the chip on your shoulder :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:16 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:My wife (who has played women's football) took my 2.5 year old daughter to the game. My daughter loved it, and also was luckily enough to get a signed ball by and photo with Courtney Cramey - SA captain and one of the stalwarts of SA women's footy. She hasn't put it down and still telling everyone she saw the 'Adelaide Crows play' .

Is that the SA captain or is she the Crows captain? Id hate you Crows fans to get confused about your place in the football landscape of this state again

Nah what I wrote was correct.......
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby MW » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:22 am

Don't let that get in the way of the inferiority complex of a few on here
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:25 am

We've reached a point where being right isn't good enough? ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:04 am

MW wrote:Don't let that get in the way of the inferiority complex of a few on here

Or those with a chip on their shoulder... :lol:
Last edited by Spargo on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL