The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Hazydog » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Wedgie wrote:
MW wrote:Free entry for 4000 people, or paid entry for 1500-2000. Which would be more profitable to the hosting club?

With what is charged for food and drink, easily the 4000.
If they were smart theyd find somewhere in between free and whtever it is these days though.

Making admission free (or significantly reducing it) would be a really bold/drastic move. But when you think about it, people would be much more inclined to spend $20-$30 at the canteen/bar without first having to shell out $30 to get a family of 4 into the gates.

Lets face it, there would be a percentage of families that are probably there in the first place because they cant afford AFL Season tickets, so make it affordable to not only watch the game but be fed and watered as well and it may attract more.

Drastic times require drastic measures.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby MW » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:28 pm

This is true.
I must admit, I didn't think twice about taking the kids to the Womens game, esp. when it was free.
I think this model had merit. Only risk is if crowds stay low, revenue will be slashed from reduced ticket prices
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:32 pm

For me I only go to games when I get free tickets(I'm a tight ar$e I know) but I'm happy to shell out $100 for a few beers and a feed for the kids whilst there.
So making it free would get myself in attendance a lot more and the clubs would get my cash over the bar/canteen....... I suspect there would be others like me.
I don't follow a team as such due to the whole Power/Magpies scenario but I do go to the Bay oval and Mazda stadium to watch games each year.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2226 times
Been liked: 2520 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Hazydog wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
MW wrote:Free entry for 4000 people, or paid entry for 1500-2000. Which would be more profitable to the hosting club?

With what is charged for food and drink, easily the 4000.
If they were smart theyd find somewhere in between free and whtever it is these days though.

Making admission free (or significantly reducing it) would be a really bold/drastic move. But when you think about it, people would be much more inclined to spend $20-$30 at the canteen/bar without first having to shell out $30 to get a family of 4 into the gates.

Lets face it, there would be a percentage of families that are probably there in the first place because they cant afford AFL Season tickets, so make it affordable to not only watch the game but be fed and watered as well and it may attract more.

Drastic times require drastic measures.

I like the idea HD, but don't the SANFL control the gate with the exception of season tickets? I can't see Olsen and his AFL arse-sniffers going for it, especially since it would be giving Crows fans would get the same free entry deal that everyone else gets.

I mean, if there's no advantage to being the 19th Man then they won't bother coming to any games, and spending their hard-earned at the canteen and bar! The comp would be absolutely devastated.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Without having canvassed it properly to provide supporting data, dropping to free entry could be seriously disastrous - If it's measured and there's enough indicators (which still doesn't provide any guarantees), then it could be worth a go at some point in time but I think we'd be a ways off that. Even if they could meet halfway (perhaps in terminology only) and get down to $5 entry, it would be interesting to see if it would have any effect on attendance numbers. Personally Im doubtful, but would be great to find out for sure, in an ideal world.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:05 pm

In marketing terms, if you devalue the product ( by offering free admission ) then potentially the product appears to hold less value to the consumer.

I don't believe free entry to SANFL games would increase crowds, it's as much about people being time poor as it is a fiscal matter IMO. I'd rather pay $15 entry and $5 for a beer than $10 entry and $7 beers.

Died in the wool fans aside ( as they attend regularly ) the average SANFL fan would be in their 30's - early 50's. Many of the over 50's support the apricot slices and only "used to" follow an SANFL side. People under mid 30's are more likely to know only AFL football or support an SANFL team by default "coz Dad used to follow them".

If the "average" SANFL fan is 30-55 then they're most likely to still have an involvement at amateur level, have kids playing sport etc.

Throw in the AFL reserves and here we are.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby VALE PARK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:31 pm

Everytime there is a bye or split round the clubs get nothing.
The clubs get to keep all the admission home ground ticket sales.
You are dreaming if you think they are ever going to throw the gates open.
All clubs would be financially even worse off.
The SANFL cannot afford that.
Would the AFL ever charge at the gate for the Women's competition?
In time I expect interest will wain,
IMHO they simply do not score enough goals for a paying spectacle
(maybe they could shorten the playing oval size),
this may help the goal count.
In the 4 games this week the losing team kicked only 1 goal!
(IMHO the low goal scores partly the cause of the demise in the SANFL in recent years).
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Given that a lot people either have membership or enter via free tickets, what % of an average 2000 attendance would actually pay?
I'm going to say between 20-30% at best.

Making it free entry and hoping people part with some hard earned over the bar/canteen is the way to go otherwise attendances will dwindle down even further.

Yeah it's a risk but one the SANFL have to look at IMO.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:55 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Everytime there is a bye or split round the clubs get nothing.
The clubs get to keep all the admission home ground ticket sales.
You are dreaming if you think they are ever going to throw the gates open.
All clubs would be financially even worse off.
The SANFL cannot afford that.
Would the AFL ever charge at the gate for the Women's competition?
In time I expect interest will wain,
IMHO they simply do not score enough goals for a paying spectacle
(maybe they could shorten the playing oval size),
this may help the goal count.
In the 4 games this week the losing team kicked only 1 goal!
(IMHO the low goal scores partly the cause of the demise in the SANFL in recent years).

While I still think this is true, playing time is cut in half and they have 16 on the park. Not sure you can direct compare to the scoring ability to the mens game

At least two games were affected by rain also.
MW
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:56 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Given that a lot people either have membership or enter via free tickets, what % of an average 2000 attendance would actually pay?

Making it free entry and hoping people part with some hard earned over the bar/canteen is the way to go otherwise attendances will dwindle down even further.

If they drop to free entry then what's the point for most to take out membership or home match tickets? The clubs would lose well more than that %20-%30 mentioned.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:04 pm

JK wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Given that a lot people either have membership or enter via free tickets, what % of an average 2000 attendance would actually pay?

If they drop to free entry then what's the point for most to take out membership or home match tickets? The clubs would lose well more than that %20-%30 mentioned.

Like in the amateur league people will still buy memberships to help out their club....... that won't change.
Free entry will hopefully entice new people and older people back who have forgotten how good the SANFL really is.
They bring their families and spend some money inside the ground which recovers some if not all the profits lost at the gate.

With more options(sporting teams and codes) now than there has ever been, it's time to open up the gates to try too stimulate the SANFL.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby o five » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Exactly. You would have to be a mug if you pay at the gates.
Making it free entry will do nothing for the attendances, dropping the overpriced drinks a food would help.
Still think that our club merchandise is overpriced also.
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Ronnie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:14 pm

No entry fee is not the way to go, although it already exists for kids and teenagers (not sure what the cut off is)
But in general it's getting harder to get people to actually attend. More people are conditioned to think that if conditions aren't perfect then the couch it is. We also have millennials who think that anything less than the elite level is not worthy of support. We have them at work, support high profile professional sports teams overseas (fair enough in itself) but then rubbish Australian sports teams because they aren't of the same class. They don't see the irony that they only 'support' their teams through a TV screen, and are happy to ignore quality sport in their own backyard. A fair percentage think exactly the same way about the AFL/SANFL divide.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby MW » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:19 pm

The difference there is they can support the top class AFL in their own backyard
MW
Coach

Postby Ronnie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:21 pm

MW wrote:The difference there is they can support the top class AFL in their own backyard

True, although not every weekend (unless well off enough to travel interstate).
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Ronnie wrote:No entry fee is not the way to go, although it already exists for kids and teenagers (not sure what the cut off is)
But in general it's getting harder to get people to actually attend. More people are conditioned to think that if conditions aren't perfect then the couch it is. We also have millennials who think that anything less than the elite level is not worthy of support. We have them at work, support high profile professional sports teams overseas (fair enough in itself) but then rubbish Australian sports teams because they aren't of the same class. They don't see the irony that they only 'support' their teams through a TV screen, and are happy to ignore quality sport in their own backyard. A fair percentage think exactly the same way about the AFL/SANFL divide.

It is getting harder to get people to attend as they have more options nowadays plus as you said if conditions aren't perfect they stay at home.
If you entice people with free entry people are more likely to go.
The diehards will always go........ clubs need to attract a younger demographic as when the current diehards move on who will be left to support it?

Change nothing and nothing changes!

Not to be captain obvious but this year and next year will be important in how clubs survive financially.
Don't wait till all clubs go broke before making changes.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:17 pm

id be reducing admission prices. get people inside and then they will spend money at the BBQ/Bar.

I think the SANFL needs to get more involved with advertising in the media outlets and social media.

More double headers, more night games when the weather is pleasant, at the start and end of season.

a full season, not this current set up of 18 rounds and 13 byes etc...

just try something ffs
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11841 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Hazydog » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:23 pm

It's all about striking a balance isn't it? Booney - not sure how much more the product can be devalued when games are attracting sub 1000 crowds - which we all know is currently an irreversible trend as long as the current format exists. JK - agree re lost revenue re season/home match tickets. Maybe clubs increase membership fees (which the likes of stalwarts like us will still take out to support the club) Maybe build more value into memberships such as free admission to finals and a voucher for a pie and a beer at each home game or the like?
Times have well and truly changed and sticking to traditional formulas just won't cut it any more.
Maybe the idea can be tried for a limited time - ie for a month this season the SANFL invests in some serious advertising to say "the gates are open for a month - come and check out some action and reconnect with your local Club"
I honestly think right now the biggest risk of all is to take no risks.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:36 pm

I was thinking something similar Hazy.
Why not make one round free entry, and see what the results are.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:37 am

Remember the $1 Days at the Sheffield Shield?
That was a clear realisation from SACA that the attraction of Shield cricket was rooted as an 'attraction'.
Dollar Days boosted the crowds on Sundays for a while, but then the interest drifted off and the Shield was devalued.
It was only a temporary solution.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL