Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Ch9AFL Division 7 - 2017

Postby morell » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Zartan wrote:Greenacres struggling..

West Croydon to D5
Para Hills to D6
Greenacres to D7

Lock it in Eddie..
In all honesty this could make a whole lot of sense. Para Hills, the league and pretty much everyone but a teeny minority of scaredy cat D6 clubs would agree it's a potentially sensible solution.

The problem is the rules and regs that HQ has to work within. They need a club to not be able to field two teams before they can wrangle with the ups and downs. Even then the first opportunity would have to go to Mitchell Park and then Adelaide Lutheran. I doubt we'd take it up but Luthies might.

Again, this really comes down to ridiculous nature the way our league has been set up. It's absurd that the organisation responsible for the overall health and strategic direction of the league as a whole cannot make executive decisions like this. I understand the clubs ought to have input, but they should be the major stakeholder for consultation, and that's it. Clubs are always going to vote and make decisions which directly benefit them, they're self serving and have to be. The league obviously has a much broader focus.

It's time we all looked at how we break apart the delegate system and give more executive control to the management team at the SAAFL.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby norm11 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:47 pm

West Croydon to D5
Para Hills to D6
Greenacres to D7

Lock it in Eddie..

Big call. If greenacres get 2 teams they will stay div 5.
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Demon Juke » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:50 pm

norm11 wrote:

West Croydon to D5
Para Hills to D6
Greenacres to D7

Lock it in Eddie..

You are involved out there now? If so how are the numbers?
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:54 am

norm11 wrote:

West Croydon to D5
Para Hills to D6
Greenacres to D7

Lock it in Eddie..

It's not a big call - i wasn't saying it was happening lol.. just what i think should happen
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:55 am

Zartan wrote:just what i think should happen
I was saying to a cutla people yesterday how this Para Hills sitch has really amazed me how different the opinions have been in private compared to what people say publicly. Usually some of my opines I get a 50/50 hit rate or less hahaha

But with this I've received a stack of PMs from people on here, everyone that has looks at it outside of sa footy, even Para Hills people ... all unanimously agree that it's absurd. Yet no one is saying anything publicly! Other than me really, and sometimes you when the leash is loosened. Why??

It's such an odd thing that I can only think of our weird tough guy football culture and not being seen to be "whining" to account for it.

We're an odd bunch. Why not just be honest and transparent.
morell
Coach

Postby jo172 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:10 am

I'm a tad perplexed as to why the Para Hills situation is significantly different to the Smithfield of a few years ago and even Salisbury West of last year.

My suspicion is that the last lustrum has more or less normalised this kind of thing.

When Smithfield came we said nothing, when Salisbury West Came we said nothing, by the time Para Hills came there was no one left to speak up perhaps?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:16 am

jo172 wrote:I'm a tad perplexed as to why the Para Hills situation is significantly different to the Smithfield of a few years ago and even Salisbury West of last year.

My suspicion is that the last lustrum has more or less normalised this kind of thing.

When Smithfield came we said nothing, when Salisbury West Came we said nothing, by the time Para Hills came there was no one left to speak up perhaps?

Smithfield and Salisbury West remained alive by scraping through with the one side where Para Hills had none, apples and oranges.

IMO, there is no fair solution unless a team in a higher division is willing to do a straight swap with them, I know Smithfield informed the league that their team was going to be significantly stronger when they were allowed to resume after having to miss the last few rounds in the year that they returned to two sides but there was nothing the SAAFL could really do about it.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:32 am

jo172 wrote:I'm a tad perplexed as to why the Para Hills situation is significantly different to the Smithfield of a few years ago and even Salisbury West of last year.

Smithfield and Salisbury West both had a year/years of struggle and then became really strong over a season or two.

Para Hills are literally going to go:

D5 Flag > non-existent > D7 Flag

If that was:

D5 Flag > struggling with one team > D7 Flag
or
D5 Flag > non existent > D6 middle of the table

This would never have been raised. It's this notion of clubs and teams simply not willing to tough out a year of losses which is at the real core of the argument.

The notion of being "gifted" a D6 spot when they were last in D4 its utterly nonsensical when looked at through the viewpoint that they will have a year of easy games and frivolity in D7 instead.
morell
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:09 am

morell wrote:

Smithfield and Salisbury West both had a year/years of struggle and then became really strong over a season or two.

If that was:

or

This would never have been raised. It's this notion of clubs and teams simply not willing to tough out a year of losses which is at the real core of the argument.

The notion of being "gifted" a D6 spot when they were last in D4 its utterly nonsensical when looked at through the viewpoint that they will have a year of easy games and frivolity in D7 instead.

Do you think PHFC would rather be in a higher division?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:21 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
morell wrote:

If that was:

or

Do you think PHFC would rather be in a higher division?
I know their senior leadership do. Well, they're a community of perhaps many hundreds of people. Some probably would some probably wouldn't.
Last edited by morell on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:23 am

If you could convince a club to drop down to D7, PH would replace them. The issue isn't that PH are strong, or really want to be in D7, it's that there's nowhere else for them to go right now.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby carey » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:25 am

Q. wrote:If you could convince a club to drop down to D7, PH would replace them. The issue isn't that PH are strong, or really want to be in D7, it's that there's nowhere else for them to go right now.

Common sense has no place here thanks Q.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2802 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:25 am

I know its taboo, but Mawson Lakes *really* ought to think about it IMO.
morell
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:28 am

Morell mate. It's a dying argument that you are discussing. The SAAFL won't do it unless like someone said before. If a club in a higher division wants to swap places. But who would do that? The rules have been made and thats that. Unfortunately though, there have been so many allowances made for special reasons where these rules have been broken. That's why we have situations like PHFC for example that want to be allowed to re-enter in a higher division because they have a really good playing list. Unfortunately for Div 7 it may be one sided. But in the end thats how it is going to be. I played for St Paul's OS back in the early 2000's where we went from Div 5 to Div 10 (that's what it was at the time). After spending 2 years in Div 10 (1 side only). We had a massive influx of players (both really talented and average) yet we entered in Div 7 and went from there. Why should it be anything different to other clubs? The rules are the rules. No club is better than the other.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:32 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:Morell mate. It's a dying argument that you are discussing. The SAAFL won't do it unless like someone said before. If a club in a higher division wants to swap places. But who would do that? The rules have been made and thats that. Unfortunately though, there have been so many allowances made for special reasons where these rules have been broken. That's why we have situations like PHFC for example that want to be allowed to re-enter in a higher division because they have a really good playing list. Unfortunately for Div 7 it may be one sided. But in the end thats how it is going to be. I played for St Paul's OS back in the early 2000's where we went from Div 5 to Div 10 (that's what it was at the time). After spending 2 years in Div 10 (1 side only). We had a massive influx of players (both really talented and average) yet we entered in Div 7 and went from there. Why should it be anything different to other clubs? The rules are the rules. No club is better than the other.

Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:35 am

Rules are just words written on pieces of paper by human beings Bombers. They can be rewritten, changed and adjusted.

This is why I said a few posts above that the Executive team at the SAAFL need to have more control and power to make these sots of decisions rather than being tied down with petty localised claptrap.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:36 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Morell mate. It's a dying argument that you are discussing. The SAAFL won't do it unless like someone said before. If a club in a higher division wants to swap places. But who would do that? The rules have been made and thats that. Unfortunately though, there have been so many allowances made for special reasons where these rules have been broken. That's why we have situations like PHFC for example that want to be allowed to re-enter in a higher division because they have a really good playing list. Unfortunately for Div 7 it may be one sided. But in the end thats how it is going to be. I played for St Paul's OS back in the early 2000's where we went from Div 5 to Div 10 (that's what it was at the time). After spending 2 years in Div 10 (1 side only). We had a massive influx of players (both really talented and average) yet we entered in Div 7 and went from there. Why should it be anything different to other clubs? The rules are the rules. No club is better than the other.

I prefer:

morell
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:38 am

I was actually thinking:
Lightning McQueen
Coach