morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Re: Ch9AFL Division 7 - 2017

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:46 am

morell wrote:Erin Brockivich won against all odds in the end too

I never got that far, once I conceded there was no cans on display I gave in.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:48 am

The movie or the cassingle?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:53 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I never got that far, once I conceded there was no cans on display I gave in.
So you're saying I just need to cover up and people might take me seriously?

Understandable.
morell
Coach

Postby blackRoo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:00 am

morell wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
morell wrote:
jo172 wrote:I'm a tad perplexed as to why the Para Hills situation is significantly different to the Smithfield of a few years ago and even Salisbury West of last year.

My suspicion is that the last lustrum has more or less normalised this kind of thing.

When Smithfield came we said nothing, when Salisbury West Came we said nothing, by the time Para Hills came there was no one left to speak up perhaps?
Smithfield and Salisbury West both had a year/years of struggle and then became really strong over a season or two.

Para Hills are literally going to go:

D5 Flag > non-existent > D7 Flag

If that was:

D5 Flag > struggling with one team > D7 Flag
or
D5 Flag > non existent > D6 middle of the table

This would never have been raised. It's this notion of clubs and teams simply not willing to tough out a year of losses which is at the real core of the argument.

The notion of being "gifted" a D6 spot when they were last in D4 its utterly nonsensical when looked at through the viewpoint that they will have a year of easy games and frivolity in D7 instead.

Do you think PHFC would rather be in a higher division?
I know their senior leadership do. Well, they're a community of perhaps many hundreds of people. Some probably would some probably wouldn't.

I cant honestly say that the bulk of the club would like to be in a higher div, but unfortunately we don't really have a lot of say at the moment. I guess nothing is set in stone yet and given the talk about other clubs that may be in a similar situation to PHFC in 2016 I'm sure the league will make the appropriate changes, and who really knows what our team will be like this season, there's a lot of new faces around the club atm
blackRoo
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Milly » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:11 am

Please BlackRoo lets have no sense from a PH official on here. Lets just let Morell tell everyone where you should be playing and that ML should drop down to suit his argument.
Why in the hell would ML want to drop down when they have earnt the right to play in Div6.

If Lakes or any other club wanted to swap fine, but at this stage no one wants too and i know PH would jump at the opportunity to play higher if given the chance.
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:23 am

Milly wrote:Please BlackRoo lets have no sense from a PH official on here. Lets just let Morell tell everyone where you should be playing and that ML should drop down to suit his argument.
Why in the hell would ML want to drop down when they have earnt the right to play in Div6.

If Lakes or any other club wanted to swap fine, but at this stage no one wants too and i know PH would jump at the opportunity to play higher if given the chance.

Rightly said. Agreed!!
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:33 am

Milly wrote:Please BlackRoo lets have no sense from a PH official on here. Lets just let Morell tell everyone where you should be playing and that ML should drop down to suit his argument.

And this post is a great example of why my point is valid. We, as clubs, get all hung up on what is fair or not fair for us or for individual rival clubs. The highest we raise our thought processes to is maybe the division we're in.

But the competitiveness and equity of the league - which teams placement is obviously critical - in its strategic entirety is a broad level decision making process. Which is why it shouldn't left to the clubs - or the rules they've designed, but should be made by the league.

Imagine if the AFL weren't able to adjust the rules in which clubs were able to operate in? They make important strategic decisions for the betterment of the competition in general all the time. It might be unfair on one club or two clubs from time to time, but the direction of the comp will remain healthy over time because they have that capability.

Sticking to rules and regulations when it doesn't make sense is folly and a sure way to fail over time.
morell
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Earnt the right vs Gifted the opportunity by circumstance.

They've got a 25% win ratio over the past 3 years where they've only won one game against a team that made the finals in the same season.

They have beaten Mitchell Park 4 times in this period, Angle Vale twice when they were about as good as Callington in their prime, the Lodge twice when they were at their lowest along with the same for Adelaide Lutheran.

Although I respect them as a club and have set up camp in a tough area for rivalry, I think they would've been more suited to go to div 7 to build some sustained success.

On a positive note, they've competed well many times against far more fancied opponents.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Inallseriousness » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Didn't 7 PH players play at Mitchell Park last year in a side that got relegated from Div 6? Maybe Div 7 is about right? :lol:
Of course that is said with tongue firmly in cheek! :lol:
Inallseriousness
Under 16s

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 106 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:07 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Earnt the right vs Gifted the opportunity by circumstance.

They've got a 25% win ratio over the past 3 years where they've only won one game against a team that made the finals in the same season.

They have beaten Mitchell Park 4 times in this period, Angle Vale twice when they were about as good as Callington in their prime, the Lodge twice when they were at their lowest along with the same for Adelaide Lutheran.

Although I respect them as a club and have set up camp in a tough area for rivalry, I think they would've been more suited to go to div 7 to build some sustained success.

On a positive note, they've competed well many times against far more fancied opponents.
But but but but the rules LM the rules!!!!
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Inallseriousness wrote:Didn't 7 PH players play at Mitchell Park last year in a side that got relegated from Div 6? Maybe Div 7 is about right? :lol:
Of course that is said with tongue firmly in cheek! :lol:

Yes and just about got us out of relegation.

If it weren't for them I doubt we would have won a game.
morell
Coach

Postby Milly » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Ok so each years gradings are going to be done at the end of the latest clearance window?

Since we going to be grading clubs on the ins and outs.
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Milly wrote:Ok so each years gradings are going to be done at the end of the latest clearance window?

Since we going to be grading clubs on the ins and outs.

Judging by previous years I don't think anything is set in concrete just yet.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:17 pm

It doesn't have to be that complicated or rigid.

Just something like:

Clubs in Divisions 1 through 7 will follow the promotion and relegation system as per the above rules and regulation except where The League's discretion dictates that the evenness and equity of the competition itself is at threat, whereby The League shall have the opportunity to place individual clubs in the appropriate division given a sufficient period of consultation with the affected parties.
morell
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:26 pm

morell wrote:It doesn't have to be that complicated or rigid.

Just something like:

Clubs in Divisions 1 through 7 will follow the promotion and relegation system as per the above rules and regulation except where The League's discretion dictates that the evenness and equity of the competition itself is at threat, whereby The League shall have the opportunity to place individual clubs in the appropriate division given a sufficient period of consultation with the affected parties.

Opens up a large jar of pickles. Gives the clubs a chance to dictate where they will play everytime they go broke and then have lots of money to spend again. Example PARA HILLS.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Trader » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:28 pm

morell wrote:Imagine if the AFL weren't able to adjust the rules in which clubs were able to operate in? They make important strategic decisions for the betterment of the competition in general all the time. It might be unfair on one club or two clubs from time to time, but the direction of the comp will remain healthy over time because they have that capability.

I think there are a lot of people that would be quite happy if the AFL stopped changing the rules!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:

Just something like:

Opens up a large jar of pickles. Gives the clubs a chance to dictate where they will play everytime they go broke and then have lots of money to spend again. Example PARA HILLS.
How does your brain work.

I just said, literally, that less power should be in the hands of the clubs and that the league should have veto.

Bombers: "Clubs would have too much power"
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Trader wrote:
morell wrote:Imagine if the AFL weren't able to adjust the rules in which clubs were able to operate in? They make important strategic decisions for the betterment of the competition in general all the time. It might be unfair on one club or two clubs from time to time, but the direction of the comp will remain healthy over time because they have that capability.

I think there are a lot of people that would be quite happy if the AFL stopped changing the rules!
As individual fans, yeah.

I don't think anyone could argue that the health and competitiveness of the AFL as whole is anything but very good.
morell
Coach

Postby blackRoo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:

Just something like:

Para hills never went broke, and also paid all its fees to the league in 2016 as per every other club in the league, 2016 had nothing to with money........
blackRoo
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League