The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby MW » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:38 pm

at the expense of their jobs when the league folds?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby stan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:40 pm

MW wrote:at the expense of their jobs when the league folds?

Folds or renamed as AFLSA?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Grenville » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:15 pm

whufc wrote:
MW wrote:If the evidence was so clear that AFL reserves sides have killed other local comps, why would the SANFL agree to it? Effectively signing a death warrant no?

Because the people involved in the SANFL have their own personal agendas to look after

Chris Davies says hi.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:49 pm

They'll have jobs elsewhere.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Their positions are voluntary and they'll all be off their boards by then and in other positions which may or may not have been benefitted by their vote. It wouldnt suprise me if some of them are seen at Adeaide Oval on AFL gamedays and/or be be involved in businesses that may or may not benefit from certain situations/liaisons.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:08 am

Wedgie wrote:

Their positions are voluntary and they'll all be off their boards by then and in other positions which may or may not have been benefitted by their vote. It wouldnt suprise me if some of them are seen at Adeaide Oval on AFL gamedays and/or be be involved in businesses that may or may not benefit from certain situations/liaisons.

Like Whicker being on the board of the catering company that had the Football Park contract? ( And Adelaide Oval but I'm not sure if they still do )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:06 am

A few rumblings coming out of WA. The WAFC is trying to merge East and South Freo and also Subiaco and Claremont. They've also contracted a consultancy group to review WA football who have advised that WAFL reserves be ceased and all WAFL Colts to be run by the AFL.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Hands off my Claremont Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Jim05 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:38 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Hands off my Claremont Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue and Gold Tigers lol
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Jim05 wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Hands off my Claremont Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue and Gold Tigers lol

Black and Gold Tigers are lol too! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby FootyFanatic » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Leigh Whicker was a director of the catering company at Footy Park but that company was wholly owned by the SANFL, other SANFL executives were also directors.
FootyFanatic
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby holden78 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:42 pm

We don't believe it.
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:30 pm

SANFL Crows chances of winning just got reduced:

http://sanfl.com.au/leigh-leaps-afl-ranks/

His note book was never for reporting, it was for getting autographs when he umpired the Crows SANFL team!!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:14 am

therisingblues wrote:
goddy11 wrote:So where do you think clubs will make money from? Why would you buy a membership if coming into the ground was minimal to nil? Don't say bars and canteen sales. Crows and Port members get in for nothing as part of their package and still they don't come or they don't even seem to pass on there tickets for others to use.

Crows and Port fans don't attend SANFL because they are basically not interested.
I used to buy memberships when I lived in Japan with no hope of attending a game, I used to buy them for my wife also, and she had absolutely no idea about footy. I'll concede that there would be a small number of people who become members because it includes tickets to games, but that would not be many. Most would continue regardless.

I do too TRB, but the clubs need to be more proactive on how they would retain members.

In reality ( say the average gate is around 2k paying an average of $8-$10 per game over the 10 home games), the $150k - $180k the clubs generate from ticket / membership sales represents probably less than 5% of the annual turnover, which runs into $multi-millions.
(This might explain why most clubs don't really care what its members want or think)
Gambling and Sponsorship represent a much bigger source of income, so losing $160k a year might not be such big risk. Having said that, the $160k does represent pure profit if you consider that the clubs have to cover costs anyway, whereas bar and canteen sales aren't and assuming the clubs are making say 60% margin on food and drink then they'd have to turnover closer to $275k to make the same profit, and that doesn't include the additional costs of providing food and drink, cooking it, serving it etc., which then does represent a significant risk.

If the clubs were to offer free entry, they would have to think of ways to encourage memberships by giving them some value.
Maybe members could get discounted beer and food, hold some members days throughout the year including the closed season, gala days, more reduced drink and maybe a free buffet meal, put some bands on, whatever....... That makes the day worthwhile and as long as it's family orientated to encourage dad to bring Mrs and the kids.
Speaking of kids, junior membership could give the kids free football schools during 1/2 term / off season etc. Make the membership have real benefits that not only encourages people to support the club and buy one but also encourages them to spend $$$ at the club when they are there.
Have a free membership draw each week with prizes for club merchandise, or a free pre-match meal or several weekly prizes that come from the club so costs are minimal ( I don't know how much it costs the club for a replica Guernsey but I bet it's no more than a few $$$, or how much a meal for two actuall cost) and maybe as a top prize offer a presidents table for each game. Get sponsors to throw in a few freebies for prizes or offer incentives to members only. 10% off a set of tyres or whatever.
If the punters feel there are real benefits to being a member then they will join and maybe the clubs offering free entry or a greatly reduced entry to games, coupled with good membership sales the risk would be greatly offset. Of course to get the benefits and claim the prizes you'd have to be there on the day.
One big gripe with SANFL Club members now is that that don't feel that being a member actually gives them anything. They don't get any real benefits for being a member as the discounted game price is somewhat offset by the cash outlay for the entire season's games in one go. Ergo, no matter how how badly your team performs or you have to miss a game for whatever reason, you've already paid for those games whereas the casual walk on can decide which games to go to depending on team performance, weather etc, and not lose out if they don't go. And of course most members of most most SANFL Clubs feel their club doesnt listen to them, value them as members or value what they might have to say.
This way at least being a member would give you tangible benefits, whether the club values you or your opinion, or not and you don't lose financially if you decide to duck out of the odd game for other reasons.

It isn't rocket science
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:42 am

A few club presidents would argue it is Rocket Science...
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11850 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby knowledge » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:46 am

One big gripe with SANFL Club members now is that that don't feel that being a member actually gives them anything.
f

There's a big shiny thing in the trophy cabinet at Oxford Terrace, Unley that paid for my membership of the SFC a thousand times over! :D
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:48 am

johntheclaret wrote:One big gripe with SANFL Club members now is that that don't feel that being a member actually gives them anything. They don't get any real benefits for being a member as the discounted game price is somewhat offset by the cash outlay for the entire season's games in one go. Ergo, no matter how how badly your team performs or you have to miss a game for whatever reason, you've already paid for those games whereas the casual walk on can decide which games to go to depending on team performance, weather etc, and not lose out if they don't go. And of course most members of most most SANFL Clubs feel their club doesnt listen to them, value them as members or value what they might have to say.
This way at least being a member would give you tangible benefits, whether the club values you or your opinion, or not and you don't lose financially if you decide to duck out of the odd game for other reasons.

Spot on.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby MatteeG » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:12 am

johntheclaret wrote: And of course most members of most most SANFL Clubs feel their club doesnt listen to them, value them as members or value what they might have to say.

This is the cause for this whole thread.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Wedgie » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:51 am

The NAFC advertised yesterday about the womens comp, I enquired if there was a membership of the womens team (despite it neing free entry to games) so I could show my support to them. NAFC asvised me there was only the general club membership so I had to turn them down as Im not interesred in showing a club in a compromised comp any support. More money theyre missing out on.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Apachebulldog » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Hey guys I have been thinking on how to increase SANFL memberships and patronage for quite some time now.

I suggest all clubs need a radical and revolutionary approach on memberships.

I know at the moment we have home match, home and away and 3 game memberships packages.

However I suggest all SANFL clubs change the whole concept of Club memberships as not everyone can attend games at certain times due to work and sporting comittments etc etc and also the cost factor.

These are some of my ideas.

1. 5 game home and away membership package.

2. 10 game home and away membership package.

3. 15 game home and away membership package.

4. all home and away membership package.

5. SANFL Club memberships entitles you to attend all minor finals except Grand Finals ( this was introduced last year by the SANFL I received free tickets to attend finals )

6. Portability of Club Memberships SANFL Club memberships also entitles you too attend any SANFL game you like especially when your club has a bye this hopefully will increase crowd numbers when there are blockbuster games and also come finals.

7. Portability of Club memberships SANFL Club memberships also entitles you to 10% discount on food and beverages at all SANFL clubs this is something to be discussed with all CEO'S to decide on a agreed percentage.

8. Children under 16 FREE. ( at the moment under 18 )

9. Non members pay a premium for entry to games in the hope that this might spur them on to become members.

Pretty radical what do you all think does anyone think it is feasible to approach our SANFL Clubs ??????
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL