Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Ch9AFL Division 7 - 2017

Postby zedman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:26 pm

beef wrote:
zedman wrote:
beef wrote:
Half Back Flanker wrote:Maybe this might be an idea for another thread but if this is actually true, and the same with lots of other clubs whom have struggled over the last 5 -10 years, are there too many clubs to close to each other? The demographic of the kids these days have changed to when I played junior football and is it possible that all these clubs just can't survive? Will there have to be mergers to continue to keep clubs strong?

Clubs are too stubborn to merge. Cant even think of the last merger in the city. Clubs will die because kids want to play soccer these days. Junior footy is all about girls now

off the top of my head and the list goes back a few years:

Unley and Mercedes
Kenilworth and Burnside
Kenilworth and CLG
Smosh and West Lakes
Goodwood and St Raphaels
Alberton United, Ethelton & Riverside

Cant really call Unley & Mercedes a merger.
Assuming you mean Burnside-Kensington (that wasnt very succesful)
Kenilworth & CLG - wasnt aware of that - assume they've since unmerged
The others i would say have been pretty good, however it would be interesting to know how a past player of say Riverside feels, would he rather a new side to support or do they feel like "their" club is dead

i wasnt debating the success of them..just that they happened..if unley hadnt "joined" with mercedes then we would have seen the mercedes fc come into its own the very next year..

i know an ex rivvies guy and he echoes what you are saying..its sort of dead really..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Inallseriousness » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:45 pm

beef wrote:
zedman wrote:
beef wrote:
Half Back Flanker wrote:Maybe this might be an idea for another thread but if this is actually true, and the same with lots of other clubs whom have struggled over the last 5 -10 years, are there too many clubs to close to each other? The demographic of the kids these days have changed to when I played junior football and is it possible that all these clubs just can't survive? Will there have to be mergers to continue to keep clubs strong?

Clubs are too stubborn to merge. Cant even think of the last merger in the city. Clubs will die because kids want to play soccer these days. Junior footy is all about girls now

off the top of my head and the list goes back a few years:

Unley and Mercedes
Kenilworth and Burnside
Kenilworth and CLG
Smosh and West Lakes
Goodwood and St Raphaels
Alberton United, Ethelton & Riverside

Cant really call Unley & Mercedes a merger.
Assuming you mean Burnside-Kensington (that wasnt very succesful)
Kenilworth & CLG - wasnt aware of that - assume they've since unmerged
The others i would say have been pretty good, however it would be interesting to know how a past player of say Riverside feels, would he rather a new side to support or do they feel like "their" club is dead

I am an ex Rivvies guy who played there during the 80's....not really at all interested in the 'new' club
Inallseriousness
Under 16s

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 106 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Brighton High OS and Brighton merged at the end of 1990 to form the Brighton Districts & Old Scholars commonly known as the Brighton Bombers and worked our way from A3 to A1 from 1991 to 1996 before joining the SFL in 1997. The fact that the name Brighton is common across all 3 clubs helps with identity retention plus there were many past-players who played at both clubs back in the day which also helped. In general it has been a very successful merger.

Kenilworth and CLG was a weird merger for the 5 to 6 years it lasted in the 1980's. Apparently they were one-club on the field but still had 2 separate committees and incorporated bodies off the field. Basically it was always intended to be a short-term merge to deal with player shortages across both clubs. I believe Greek Camden was a very similar situation back in the late 1980's until Greek had a short term merge with Henley (which may have been Henley OS before that) and then just became Henley after a few years as Henley Greek.

Not sure how PHOS Camden works because I don't think there was a Camden when Greek departed for Henley and PHOS moved from the back of Plympton High but the Camden name was still retained even though it wasn't really a merger.

An obvious one missed is Payneham Norwood Union. And was Fitzroy a merge or just a re-name of the old Renown Park that had folded a couple of years earlier?

And back in the 80's Port Districts was the merge of co-tenants Semaphore Central and Exeter to join SAFA before coming back to the SAAFL a few years later.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

Changing demographic is a real. Ingle Farm were without any juniors for a while, but were able to re-establish when Walkley Heights was developed. With Greenacres not having juniors, Gepps Cross are in a perfect position to capture all of the kids from Oakden, Northgate and Lightsview and strengthen their juniors for many years.

Probably pretty hard to establish junior footy at Greenacres as many parents wouldn't feel comfortable with their kids paying and training so close to a prison.
There's merger talk every year within the SAAFL, they are a thing of the past in metropolitan footy, you can see the relevance in the country but with the amount of clubs so close to each other you simply sink or swim.
As for junior development, the strong clubs will get stronger and more clubs will die off, you can't knock the stronger clubs or disadvantage them as parents want their kids playing at well ran clubs.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Brighton High OS and Brighton merged at the end of 1990 to form the Brighton Districts & Old Scholars commonly known as the Brighton Bombers and worked our way from A3 to A1 from 1991 to 1996 before joining the SFL in 1997. The fact that the name Brighton is common across all 3 clubs helps with identity retention plus there were many past-players who played at both clubs back in the day which also helped. In general it has been a very successful merger.

Kenilworth and CLG was a weird merger for the 5 to 6 years it lasted in the 1980's. Apparently they were one-club on the field but still had 2 separate committees and incorporated bodies off the field. Basically it was always intended to be a short-term merge to deal with player shortages across both clubs. I believe Greek Camden was a very similar situation back in the late 1980's until Greek had a short term merge with Henley (which may have been Henley OS before that) and then just became Henley after a few years as Henley Greek.

Not sure how PHOS Camden works because I don't think there was a Camden when Greek departed for Henley and PHOS moved from the back of Plympton High but the Camden name was still retained even though it wasn't really a merger.

An obvious one missed is Payneham Norwood Union. And was Fitzroy a merge or just a re-name of the old Renown Park that had folded a couple of years earlier?

And back in the 80's Port Districts was the merge of co-tenants Semaphore Central and Exeter to join SAFA before coming back to the SAAFL a few years later.

That part made me :-O :-O
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:18 pm

I think fitzroy was renown park and st domenics merger. Dont quote me on that..
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I think fitzroy was renown park and st domenics merger. Dont quote me on that..

From their website:

"The Fitzroy Football Club is a not for profit community based football club that is affiliated with the South Australian Amateur Football League (seniors), which is the largest football league in Australia, and the SANFL Juniors. The club was formed in 1925 as the Brompton Football Club in the West Torrens District League. In 1983, Brompton amalgamated with Albert Druid Sports and became known as Renown Park Football Club [Premiers in 1983 & 1985]. In 1987, Renown Park amalgamated with St Peters YCW and St Dominics [Premiers 1965, 1966, 1971 & 1974] to form the Fitzroy Football Club – The Lions. The club name of Fitzroy came from the geographical centre-point of the five former clubs. Many of the foundation families from these different clubs are still supporting the “Lions” today. In 2012, we celebrated 25 years of Fitzroy with a special Heritage jumper that commemorated the five clubs that came together to form the Fitzroy Football Club. Since the merger to create the club we now know as the “Lions”"
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Ok, do quote me on that...lol
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:37 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Ok, do quote me on that...lol

Literally.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Demon Juke » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 pm

That will push Para Hills over the edge - Holland & Cree!!
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:46 am

There's is no point what so ever predicting the ladder apart from who everyone believes is making up numbers in the Grand Final. One spot is already sown up.

Grand Final: Para Hills Vs "Who cares. There not going to win".
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby zedman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:06 am

Demon Juke wrote:That will push Para Hills over the edge - Holland & Cree!!

its countered by this:

Lockleys Mitchell Park Knowles, Wayne Pending 2017-02-21 8)
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Half Back Flanker » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:22 am

zedman wrote:

its countered by this:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Very funny Zed
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby Q. » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:37 am

Half Back Flanker wrote:
zedman wrote:

its countered by this:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Very funny Zed

Huge in. Literally :lol:
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:00 am

Are we on the crisp of a Para Hills "Dynasty"? Could we possibly see a "Hawthornesq" 3 in a row Premiership??
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby morell » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:03 am

Had many a kick to kick with Wayne over the last few weeks - I can say he is moving like a great white shark in deep water at the moment. It's like poetry in motion. Think Shaun Burgoyne but a bit whiter and wider.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby The Bedge » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 am

God i'm good.. read Cree like a book..

Zartan wrote:Wouldn't be surprised to see Paul Cree head back there either..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Inallseriousness » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:09 am

Zartan wrote:

Hope they get more than the 14 and a half quarters out of him that we did :lol:
Inallseriousness
Under 16s

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 106 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:11 am

How are they for points? Surely they must be close?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:12 am

Zartan wrote:

Was Cree originally from PH or Ingle Farm?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League