Bands coming to Adelaide

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Re: Bands coming to Adelaide

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Looks like the Gunners are changing their set around in each city which is good, anyone know if Angus is coming to Adelaide?

Looking forward to it, been one of my bucket list to see them live. Reviews so far have been excellent.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Booney wrote:
Jase wrote:
Booney wrote:Reviews have been very good to date, looking forward to next Saturday.

Just need to remain tidy enough on a Saturday to appreciate/remember it. :lol:

I've never understood why people get sh1tfaced at gigs/sporting events... Not saying you will Booney but, what is the point?

Went to the Something for Kate/You Am I/Spiderbait/Jebediah/Meanies Day on the Green and there were a couple of people by the time the Jebs hit the stage where pretty much unconcious... what a waste of money...

Maybe it's cos I'm a tight @rse and don't want to waste the money on the tickets..

Oh well back to my old man ways :)

It's not a gig thing, it's a Saturday thing. I usually pop into my local around noon for a couple and then plod around at home working my way through some more. Agreed, getting legless at something you've stumped up $180 for is a bit stupid. I'll have a few bevs, for sure, but I won't be getting off my chops.

Worth having a few under your belt mid gig IMHO. If JK's set list is anything to go by, you'll need something to do when they start playing "Coma".
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:Looks like the Gunners are changing their set around in each city which is good, anyone know if Angus is coming to Adelaide?

Looking forward to it, been one of my bucket list to see them live. Reviews so far have been excellent.

He's played Sydney and Melbourne gigs, Angry Anderson joined them in Brisbane.

Fingers crossed he's on the plane to Adelaide with them tomorrow.

Side note - How the hell have we got a Saturday and Melbourne got a Tuesday? Can't really ever recall us "winning" one like that with a major artist.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Looks like the Gunners are changing their set around in each city which is good, anyone know if Angus is coming to Adelaide?

He's played Sydney and Melbourne gigs, Angry Anderson joined them in Brisbane.

Fingers crossed he's on the plane to Adelaide with them tomorrow.

Side note - How the hell have we got a Saturday and Melbourne got a Tuesday? Can't really ever recall us "winning" one like that with a major artist.

That's what shocked me too. Adelaide getting the 'holy grail' of a Saturday night. A lot of touring bands now the promoters are putting their Adelaide shows on a Friday/Saturday night I suspect because ticket sales for live bands are generally poor in Adelaide so it gives them the best chance of getting as many heads to an Adelaide show as possible. With the population of Melbourne or even Sydney they know they're always going to get good turnouts regardless.

A bit of it too is with album sales going down the tubes most bands have to tour a lot to make money these days too.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Guns N Roses tickets for the Adelaide Oval show for $50:

http://lasttix.com.au/buy-discount-tick ... etime-tour
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:45 am

Saw the Descendants last night at the Gov. Good show for a bunch of old punk rockers, ;) and great solid crunchy guitar-driven sound. Played for about 90 minutes all up, plenty of energy with minimal inter-song banter. Pretty good turn out, about 3/4 full.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:24 am

Rumour has it Angus' guitars are here....
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby am Bays » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:29 am

The Oils

Oct 26 The Village green Adelaide Oval
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:41 am

am Bays wrote:The Oils

Oct 26 The Village green Adelaide Oval

Wow, fantastic news
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:52 am

MatteeG wrote:Rumour has it Angus' guitars are here....

:supz:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Magellan wrote:Saw the Descendants last night at the Gov. Good show for a bunch of old punk rockers, ;) and great solid crunchy guitar-driven sound. Played for about 90 minutes all up, plenty of energy with minimal inter-song banter. Pretty good turn out, about 3/4 full.

Duff McKagan from Guns N Roses was in the crowd too.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Gozu wrote:
Magellan wrote:Saw the Descendants last night at the Gov. Good show for a bunch of old punk rockers, ;) and great solid crunchy guitar-driven sound. Played for about 90 minutes all up, plenty of energy with minimal inter-song banter. Pretty good turn out, about 3/4 full.

Duff McKagan from Guns N Roses was in the crowd too.

Really? Damn, would've been good to see the man up close, well, closer than I'll see him on Saturday night. ;)
Magellan
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Katy Steele/Hazlett/Sam Maher @ Crown & Anchor Hotel Sat 18th Feb

Will Vinson @ Wheatsheaf Hotel Mon 20th Feb & Tues 21st Feb

Sleepmakeswaves/Caligula's Horse @ The Gov Thurs 6th Apr

Copia @ Enigma Bar Sat 8th Apr

Claim The Throne/Hidden Intent/Darker Half/Desecrator/Voros @ Enigma Bar Thurs 13th Apr

Vera Blue/Mammals/Plgrms @ Fat Controller Fri 21st Apr

West Thebarton Brothel Party @ Ed Castle Hotel Sat 22nd Apr

Polish Club @ Rocket Bar Fri 19th May

The Amity Affliction/PVRIS/Beartooth/Make Them Suffer @ Thebarton Theatre Sat 17th June

Luca Brasi @ The Gov Thurs 22nd June

Midnight Oil/Spiderbait/Bad//Dreems @ The Village Green (Adelaide Oval) Thurs 26th Oct
Gozu
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:13 am

Guns n F n Roses

“Welcome to the jungle Adelaide!” – MC Bob making sure he’s done his geography homework in normal working hours, not after a late night show.

It’s not yet 8pm and Guns N Roses front man Axl Rose makes his way on stage as Slash strikes the first chords of It’s So Easy and the crowd, still bathed in daylight ( although it’s fading ) welcome the Gunners to Adelaide for the first time with Axl, Slash and Duff all on the same stage.

The stage is set running East/West across the ground, about level with the Northern end of the cricket pitch area which is much further to the Southern end than the AC/DC show in November 2015, suggesting the promoters weren’t expecting the same numbers AC/DC drew.

Regardless, the ground, wings and most of the Riverbank Stand were full of black tee’s, check shirts of all ages and everyone was jumping as Mr Brownstones unmistakeable riffs rang out around the Adelaide Oval. Chinese Democracy had older fans wondering if they knew this one or not, but soon felt at home as Welcome to the Jungle filled the stadium with the voices of 40,000 fans. Speaking of voices, mixed perfectly by the sound technicians Axl Rose still catches and holds the highest of notes from any GnR track, he’s not in an overly talkative mood in Adelaide, in fact he barely says a word to the crowd. ( In a similar way to Brian Johnson, using the break between songs to catch some breath ).

Double Talkin’ Jive, Better, Estranged, Live and Let Die, Rocket Queen with extended Slash solo, crowd favourite You Could Be Mine and the Damned cover New Rose welcome in the darkness as the lights take full effect.

This I Love, epic classic Civil War ( with some Voodoo Child by Slash on the outro ), Coma which included MC Bob introducing band members and a Slash solo that turned in the Love Theme from Godfather had the crowd wanting for something they knew, something they could sing along with.....it was worth the wait as the first sweet notes of Sweet Child O’ Mine came from Slash’s axe. The crowd, now in full voice ( as most of them had not got back from the lengthy bar wait ) went into Yesterdays, some older broader music fans ( like me ) knew enough of Wish you Were Here to belt out as much of it as Slash was prepared to play ( not many around me knew their blue sky from pain ).

It was clear the night was coming closer to the end than it was the start and when Axl sat at the ivory and black keys of his rock black piano everyone knew that November Rain was coming, in late February. One of this fans favourites, Used To Love Her had me in full voice, it had some around me wondering if I did in fact still have her in my backyard, alas in some ways and brilliant in others, she was right there with me. Couples who rock together, stay together.

An extended sing-a-long version of Knocking on Heavens Door led into another of Appetites hits, Nightrain. Lights dimmed, Axl said good bye, the band waved.....what fools do you take us for, we’re not going anywhere. Not yet, anyway.

Sorry reintroduces the band to stage, some “Babe I’m Gonna Leave you” chords lead into Don’t Cry and we get another taste of more Gunners musical influence as “The Who” song The Seeker winds the crowd up for the finale ( although an odd encore choice as not many knew this one word for word ) but then, the gentle strum of Paradise City starts and the crowd knows this is it...but, no whistle! Where was the whistle to send us all off? Either way, the crowd goes off to the classic track that would have shaped the musical tastes of many of the people there on the night. Released in 1987 ( yep, 30 years ago! ) Appetite for Destruction would be an album most bogan Aussies have in their collection ( even if you don’t think you’re 100% bogan ) and rocking out to Paradise City I’m sure, like me, plenty of people saw a 30 year younger version of themselves with a mullet, flanny around their waste and West End Export in hand. And what ripping memories they brought back.

As mentioned above, the sound desk got it right. Helped by calmer than expected conditions the sound was just on the “not loud enough side”, but I’d imagine that was in order in the stadium that is the new Adelaide Oval. Experienced mixers would know too loud is no good and with windy conditions expected they thought, and got it right.

Axl, there's not as much of him as there was a few years ago, still has it, in fact if I heard one more 40 something chick say “I’d still do Axl” I’d have died my hair blonde and put some white lycra pants on. No, I wouldn’t have....but you see my point. Slash truly is one of the world’s premier guitar front men, his lead breaks in November Rain, note for note on point, as they say in ’17. Duff drove the rhythm and any short fall from Axl racing around stage was made up for by 40,000 Adelaidians in full voice.

The early reviews were spot on, the Gunners still have it and thanks to the North Adelaide Residents Association the fans were in house lighting at 10:30pm, sharp. An early night for some who headed home, maybe an early start for those who didn’t. Either way everyone who walked out of Adelaide Oval put a big tick next to a bucket list item, they might have even put some metal fingers next to it to signify just how ******* good the Gunners were! :supz: :supz:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 am

Great write up, Booney, and agree 100% percent. I really felt like I had been transplanted back to the early nineties for two and a half hours.

My thoughts:

Would've loved to have heard "Patience", the greatest rock ballad ever penned IMHO.

"Coma" provided the perfect opportunity to visit the bathroom, well positioned in the middle of the set-list.

The only weak bit for me was the "Wish You were Here"/outro to "Layla" solo bits, which really didn't add much, and in fact took a bit of momentum out of the proceedings (and I love both of those tunes).

Slash is one of the top 5 rock guitarists to walk the earth. Has an amazing lyrical and melodic sensibility to his playing, and **** what a guitar tone.
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:16 am

Booney wrote:some “Babe I’m Gonna Leave you” chords lead into Don’t Cry

Ah man, two of my all-time faves, that would have been awesome .. Having followed the concert via FB Live posts, I'll have to go back and search for that one.

Having been fortunate to be at Calder Park in 93, when Axl was at his peak, I didn't hold high hopes for this gig (in that I thought they'd be entertaining enough, but nowhere near great .. They still go pretty bloody close). Hard to tell from videos, but the sound and performance of the group sounded MILES better to what I heard of ACDC's most recent effort.

Would have been an excellent night I reckon and glad to hear all I know, had a great night and were more than chuffed by the experience.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby stampy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:39 pm

midnight oil! bring on the bogans!!!
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 333 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:39 pm

Yep Gunners > ACDC

Ive been listening to the Gunners like all of us for 25+ years, however it was only on Sat night I understood the pure genius of slash, amazing work.

Really enjoyed the concert, when you play for over 2 1/2 hours and there are still a few songs they missed shows how much they captured the rock world in the past despite their difficulties.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:32 am

Hearing Coma live would have been awesome.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:50 am

RustyCage wrote:Hearing Coma live would have been awesome.

I used it as a chance to take a slash! (pun intended)
Magellan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Music