Rumour re Media Coverage

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:27 am

matt35 wrote:Just recently it was announced that community radio station Radio Adelaide would be covering, wait for it, Friday night AFL! The purpose of community radio is to fill voids not filled by mainstream media. Given that in Adelaide we can choose from three different radio coverages of Friday night AFL, plus the television, I struggle to see how this can be justified. Now it appears we will have no station covering the SANFL, this is where they should be going.

Agreed Matt. By the way, my voice should sound like Barney from the Simpsons.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby mots02 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:39 am

Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:What cost for streaming??

Who knows, there might be a subscription fee. Like Jimmy notes, you can add on to a membership to get streaming through your club website.

Either way, which is bullshit, the days of the tranny on the rainwater tank as you potter around the backyard are gone and the SANFL is to blame.

This - a big part of my weekends has been listening to the SANFL whilst doing other jobs. It looks like it will be score updates on the phone whilst listening to an AFL game. Not quite the same
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 876 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby therisingblues » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:38 am

Booney wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Booney wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Is there some sort of reading app that gives a computer voice to blog messages and the like?
Very sorry to hear that you will be affected so directly by the loss of radio broadcasting, if indeed, we do end up losing it.

Life won't be doing any games, TRB.

Will ANYBODY be doing any games?
Where's Big Phil? I'll wait for the big fella to come on here and tell us it is so before I believe it.

You're welcome, TRB. ;)

7 do a game, SANFL stream the others.

Okay, thanks Booney. I usually end up with pie on my face when I go off half cock before the official announcement and it turns out to be bollocks.

What reason would the SANFL have for not broadcasting games? Do they despise their supporters so much to want to deprive them of this traditional mode of following the game? What about those like Matt who rely on it so much? And others that physically cannot get themselves to the games?
Of course we will be asking questions about the "increased exposure" that the gay lollypops promised when entering our comp.
Heads should roll over this. Is there anyone in SANFL headquarters who has our backs?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:44 am

The sanfl do get increased exposure through ch7

Then ch7 program and crows/power sanfl game to run into an AFL away game so the fans don't have to venture to an sanfl ground.

So the ratings go up, hence increased exposure...
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:50 am

The SANFL need more options to GROW the business not less.
Pretty soon clubs won't want home games as it will cost too much to host matches with so few supporters turning up.
Maybe the reason for the byes!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:55 pm

matt35 wrote:This may well be the end of me attending games if it is true. Being completely blind I rely on having a radio commentary of the game to allow me to get full enjoyment, to barrack like everyone else etc. Streaming the commentary is useless for me when I am at a game, because the nature of streaming means that the commentary is a good several seconds behind the actual play. I have tried it, it is hopeless.

Is there some sort of reading app that gives a computer voice to blog messages and the like?
Very sorry to hear that you will be affected so directly by the loss of radio broadcasting, if indeed, we do end up losing it.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Do you do the punctuation ? Never knew such a thing existed, but I am quite the tech nuffy.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:05 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Booney wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Booney wrote:
Life won't be doing any games, TRB.

Will ANYBODY be doing any games?
Where's Big Phil? I'll wait for the big fella to come on here and tell us it is so before I believe it.

You're welcome, TRB. ;)

7 do a game, SANFL stream the others.

Okay, thanks Booney. I usually end up with pie on my face when I go off half cock before the official announcement and it turns out to be bollocks.

What reason would the SANFL have for not broadcasting games? Do they despise their supporters so much to want to deprive them of this traditional mode of following the game? What about those like Matt who rely on it so much? And others that physically cannot get themselves to the games?
Of course we will be asking questions about the "increased exposure" that the gay lollypops promised when entering our comp.
Heads should roll over this. Is there anyone in SANFL headquarters who has our backs?
all of them apparently, but only so there is somewhere to put the knife.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:08 am

therisingblues wrote:Is there anyone in SANFL headquarters who has our backs?

You can only see them from behind, head in trough.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby holden78 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:18 am

Last one to leave, don't forget to kick the closest SANFL official in the plums before turning off the lights.......
Or get the Premier to turn them off he's good at it! :oops:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:12 am

Last year RPH pulled out the week before Round 1, now there is no certainty on media coverage again so close to the season, farcical!

Why the hell would the streaming service be by subscription???? I like the idea of streaming all games, but to make people pay for it is seriously restricting the potential upside of having streaming available. BY streaming all game free you could actually see some growth and re-engagement in the SANFL.....seriously unbelievable.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Panther Pack » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Does anyone know how many of the channel 7 games last season featured either Port or Adelaide in them?

It seemed like 3 out of every 4 weeks would be either a Port & Crows game.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby Hazydog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm awaiting the announcement of this with great interest. Surely they don't see Video streaming as a viable or improved replacement for radio coverage? I would have thought the two were vastly different forms of media.

Video streaming of no use/help when (as already pointed out) in the car, pottering in the garden, going for a walk or even being at the game itself.

That being the case it will be intriguing to see what the root cause for dropping radio coverage actually is.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Big Phil?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Big Phil » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Spargo wrote:Big Phil?

PhiH answered this in his earlier post, as quoted below.

PhilH wrote:I'll save you the wait .... there will be no SANFL broadcasts on Life FM this year.

Not really in a position to say too much more ...

Stay tuned for further official announcements as to how games will be covered this year.

Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Grenville » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:00 am

Big Phil wrote:
Spargo wrote:Big Phil?

PhiH answered this in his earlier post, as quoted below.

PhilH wrote:I'll save you the wait .... there will be no SANFL broadcasts on Life FM this year.

Not really in a position to say too much more ...

Stay tuned for further official announcements as to how games will be covered this year.

What's your take on this Big Phil? I would've thought an SANFL stalwart like yourself would've been as dirty as the rest of us at this disgraceful decision. Especially after the years of hard yakka you've put in.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Brodlach » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:17 am

What's to say BP won't be a part of it, if not this season maybe in the future?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby RustyCage » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:05 pm

It being subscription only is absolutely moronic.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Grenville » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Brodlach wrote:What's to say BP won't be a part of it, if not this season maybe in the future?

BP and Phil H are both good callers and I hope they do call the footy in the future. I doubt he would argue though that this is an appalling situation where people will have to pay to hear SANFL games. I would've thought anyone who is a true follower of our league would agree, the only people who might not are those with a vested interest in this decision.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Brodlach » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Grenville wrote:
Brodlach wrote:What's to say BP won't be a part of it, if not this season maybe in the future?

BP and Phil H are both good callers and I hope they do call the footy in the future. I doubt he would argue though that this is an appalling situation where people will have to pay to hear SANFL games. I would've thought anyone who is a true follower of our league would agree, the only people who might not are those with a vested interest in this decision.

Agreed

I should have also said BP wouldn't give his true thoughts in case it jeopardises his chances now or in the future
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Big Phil » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:45 pm

I have an pretty strong opinion on the whole situation but will respectfully keep it to myself, for now.

The League sent invitations out, to all commentators they want involved, to submit an expression of interest to call with the streaming this year.

I have received this email and have submitted my interest, as I certainly hope to again commentate some SANFL footy this season.

I'm pretty sure likes of PhilH, Chris Kendall, Don Cooper, John Nankivell and Grant Coffee will have got the same invite.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL