Rumour re Media Coverage

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby Spargo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Why didn't either of the AFL reserves sides want to be a part of it?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5476 times
Been liked: 5117 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Wedgie wrote:If they can organise the audio streaming to not be delayed it'll be the best of both worlds. Video killed the radio star.

For the IT or tech savvy people out there, how hard would it be to do this?

You can't eliminate it but you can minimize it, because of buffering, codecs, etc using current technology.
I'll suss it out when I get to a game but it'd be hard to guage if there's not much crowd noise and the commentators call it in a delayed fashion which I've noticed a bit over the years for SANFL games with some.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Spargo wrote:Why didn't either of the AFL reserves sides want to be a part of it?

They know most of their members wouldn't be interested and they get free membership already so it wouldnt boost any sales.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Q. Why can’t I purchase an AFC Digital Pass?
A. The Club was invited to participate this year however have chosen not to. They will look at participating in 2018. Please contact your Club for further information.

Q. Why can’t I purchase a PAFC Digital Pass?
A. The Club was invited to participate this year however chose not to. They will look at participating in 2018. Please contact your Club for further information.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:35 pm

Am I right that a season pass only gives you 18 games? So if I spend $75 I can only see my nominated teams games? $90 gives me all AFL games.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:Am I right that a season pass only gives you 18 games? So if I spend $75 I can only see my nominated teams games? $90 gives me all AFL games.

Pretty ridiculous that you can only watch the games of your club and not all sanfl games
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:58 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Am I right that a season pass only gives you 18 games? So if I spend $75 I can only see my nominated teams games? $90 gives me all AFL games.

Pretty ridiculous that you can only watch the games of your club and not all sanfl games

or at least have that option, for say $120 for all games Id invest in it, for 18 games of one club Im not interested
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Magellan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:38 am

Dutchy wrote:Q. Why can’t I purchase an AFC Digital Pass?
A. The Club was invited to participate this year however its supporters don't give a shit about the comp, so why bother? They say they will look at participating in 2018, when they should say they're simply not interested at all. Please contact your Club for further information. Perhaps speak to a board member and raise it as an issue when you get the tap on the shoulder to attend the Club's next AGM.

Q. Why can’t I purchase a PAFC Digital Pass?
A. The Club was invited to participate this year however its supporters don't have access to the Internet or phones that aren't connected to the wall of your house/borstal/remand centre. They will look at participating once the supporter base has upgraded from black and white Rank Arena TV sets. This could take many years. If you have further information on new technologies please contact your Club.

Edited for accuracy.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:41 am

Let's look at the positives.
Its fantastic for fans interstate and overseas.
Its fantastic for disbled people who struggle to get to games.
Its fantastic for people who whilst working can place a phone on their desk to catch a glimpse of, much more subtle than a radio especially in an office where AM rarely works well.
Its fantastic for someone like myself who was losing interest, had dropped my club membership for the first time in 30 years and was going to less and less games. Because of the pricing/value I've now joined up as a member again which I didnt think I would ever do (got a 5 home match ticket membership) and $130 extra is going to my club this year that wouldnt have normally.
Id never put a radio on in a pub but can quite easily have my phone on muted.
Love the idea of a permanent score/timer on the screen too so Ill know exactly whats happening straight away.
Its in its first year, hopefully issues like people wanting to have access to all games will be ironed out in the future but its a pretty good starting point.
I love video streams and hardly ever listen to the radio, thank you SANFL :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby wild dog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:28 am

Yes I think its a positive despite the lack of traditional radio coverage which feels like a real let down. Lets face it, SANFL coverage was down to the single station anyway but just the idea of not being able to listen to the footy on the old dual cassette mega base dub boombox radio out in the shed makes me feel bloody old and Im still in my 40's, just. I guess its time to invest in a bluetooth megaboom speaker for the shed now, and change the phone package to unlimited data.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Hazydog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:04 am

Wedgie wrote:Let's look at the positives.
Its fantastic for fans interstate and overseas.
Its fantastic for disbled people who struggle to get to games.
Its fantastic for people who whilst working can place a phone on their desk to catch a glimpse of, much more subtle than a radio especially in an office where AM rarely works well.
Its fantastic for someone like myself who was losing interest, had dropped my club membership for the first time in 30 years and was going to less and less games. Because of the pricing/value I've now joined up as a member again which I didnt think I would ever do (got a 5 home match ticket membership) and $130 extra is going to my club this year that wouldnt have normally.
Id never put a radio on in a pub but can quite easily have my phone on muted.
Love the idea of a permanent score/timer on the screen too so Ill know exactly whats happening straight away.
Its in its first year, hopefully issues like people wanting to have access to all games will be ironed out in the future but its a pretty good starting point.
I love video streams and hardly ever listen to the radio, thank you SANFL :D

Agree with all of the above with the exception of the last comment. Still think radio serves a good purpose, although as pointed out, we were down to one station last year, who from memory only covered one match per round. (cue Medium Phil to elaborate further re last years coverage.) So potentially not losing too much, whilst potentially gaining a good deal more with the streaming service.

The real winners are the Mobile service providers - as I'd imagine streaming video even at the lowest quality option will chew through reasonably large volumes of data.

I just wish the SANFL would be up front about the situation and explain the reasons for dropping the radio coverage. It may be that they feel investing into the streaming will be more productive than investing whatever they do in radio, and if that's the case, at least we can then understand their logic behind the decision, rather than feel like we are being treated like the proverbial mushrooms.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:11 am

Ive streamed some games on my mobile in the past and they havent used any more noticable data than I would playing games on it.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby tipper » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:19 am

Wedgie wrote:Ive streamed some games on my mobile in the past and they havent used any more noticable data than I would playing games on it.

that and the amount of free wifi around these days should mean that those with limited data will still be able to access it.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Hazydog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:54 pm

I guess time will tell when I start watching whole games. up to now I've just watched 10 minutes or so here and there.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:15 pm

The whole point of listening to a radio means you can be doing something else whilst listening.
If you're watching it on your phone you can't really be doing anything else............. unless you're female and you can do everything!! ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2516 times

Postby VALE PARK » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:17 pm

Will hurt the gate.
Bit of a risk for clubs income.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:41 pm

amber_fluid wrote:The whole point of listening to a radio means you can be doing something else whilst listening.
If you're watching it on your phone you can't really be doing anything else............. unless you're female and you can do everything!! ;)

I find it quite easy to watch phone/TV and drink at the same time, it also allows me to have conversations with others which I couldn't if I was solely listening. You don't have to watch the screen and there is an audio only option for free. Winner winner chicken dinner.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:16 pm

Wedgie wrote:Id never put a radio on in a pub but can quite easily have my phone on muted.

In 86 the bloke who worked for me got married on the 2nd semi final, most of the people attending were from Kapunda & the west coast, almost all North barrakers. The racket that went up after every goal while the ceremony was on shit the bride no end.
My own wedding was on Cox Plate day, could just hear the priest over the earphones listening to the Group 1's.
Moral of the story..........Take at least a mild interest in your wedding preparations.......
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Ronnie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Id never put a radio on in a pub but can quite easily have my phone on muted.

In 86 the bloke who worked for me got married on the 2nd semi final, most of the people attending were from Kapunda & the west coast, almost all North barrakers. The racket that went up after every goal while the ceremony was on shit the bride no end.
My own wedding was on Cox Plate day, could just hear the priest over the earphones listening to the Group 1's.
Moral of the story..........Take at least a mild interest in your wedding preparations.......

ha, for a couple of reasons I got married during football season. My Best Man had radio earplug cords dangling from his ears and basically he relied on sign language for a while. Actually his sign language only really consisted of thumbs up or thumbs down. Can't recall if he had them in during the Church service but the game was on so probably. He definitely did in a lot of the photos!
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:

My folks were getting married GF day 1973 - when the Bays made it, Dad postponed the wedding a week
Still together 44 years on
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5476 times
Been liked: 5117 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL