Rumour re Media Coverage

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rumour re Media Cover

Postby VALE PARK » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:19 am

It will make a few current followers happy and keep some of these away from games in Winter.
It will not grow the game to anyone new.
The supporter base of all clubs is aging, paid attendees and full members are falling
The biggest challenge of the SANFL is to get new people interested and attending games.
Remember the print media is just about dead for the SANFL.
Perhaps the far thinking clubs could/should radio broadcast their own games,
like the A3 ammo club streaming their games for free,that's initiative and business building.
A radio broadcast with support from club sponsors would not be high cost.
If one savy clubs starts you never know.
Surely a win win situation.
If you do nothing,nothing happens!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Postby goddy11 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:07 am

The soccer people have got it together a lot better than the SANFL. They have 2 community stations do a broadcast of each weeks games. One of the stations teams up for a live video stream of their match of the day. Here's the surprise, its free. They arrange the advertising etc.

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... 0180-0-0-0
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:12 am

goddy11 wrote:The soccer people have got it together a lot better than the SANFL. They have 2 community stations do a broadcast of each weeks games. One of the stations teams up for a live video stream of their match of the day. Here's the surprise, its free. They arrange the advertising etc.

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... 0180-0-0-0

Probably why they get similar crowds to U18 SANFL matches.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3867 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby goddy11 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:30 pm

That where SANFL is heading
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby therisingblues » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:26 pm

After hearing the pros and cons up to this stage, it seems to me that the coverage this year is tailored to the SANFL's current position. Damage has/is being done to the competition and as a few have noted, they are attempting to "staunch the bleeding" by marketing to the current supporter base. This stance clearly excludes those that were sitting on the fence, or were semi-interested, as Booney and others have noted. It will not win any new supporters. It makes me think of an old fat smoker going in for lung surgery every year or so, yet refuses to address the causes for the surgery, which would be to give up smoking and stop eating so much crap.
The fact that so many are accepting this proposition with such credibility is a sign of the doom we are beginning to accept. The longer we accomodate the Crows and Power reserves in what was a glorious, passionate comp the year before talk of their entry arose, the more these type of emergency surgies we are going to look at with such credulity.
Personally I would prefer the radio and things as they were last year to this proposition. I took out club memberships when I lived in Japan, and don't need extra incentive to take them out now I live in Australia. Having replays of the games will be nice, but not at the cost of radio coverage IMO.
Anyway, that's my view. This is a solution tailored to an old man with lung cancer who refuses to give up the gaffs. Without that cancer inducing habit, we could be realistically looking to recruit NEW fans, rather than pandering to an aging niche.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Grenville » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:23 pm

therisingblues wrote:After hearing the pros and cons up to this stage, it seems to me that the coverage this year is tailored to the SANFL's current position. Damage has/is being done to the competition and as a few have noted, they are attempting to "staunch the bleeding" by marketing to the current supporter base. This stance clearly excludes those that were sitting on the fence, or were semi-interested, as Booney and others have noted. It will not win any new supporters. It makes me think of an old fat smoker going in for lung surgery every year or so, yet refuses to address the causes for the surgery, which would be to give up smoking and stop eating so much crap.
The fact that so many are accepting this proposition with such credibility is a sign of the doom we are beginning to accept. The longer we accomodate the Crows and Power reserves in what was a glorious, passionate comp the year before talk of their entry arose, the more these type of emergency surgies we are going to look at with such credulity.
Personally I would prefer the radio and things as they were last year to this proposition. I took out club memberships when I lived in Japan, and don't need extra incentive to take them out now I live in Australia. Having replays of the games will be nice, but not at the cost of radio coverage IMO.
Anyway, that's my view. This is a solution tailored to an old man with lung cancer who refuses to give up the gaffs. Without that cancer inducing habit, we could be realistically looking to recruit NEW fans, rather than pandering to an aging niche.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Sturt supporter but you're bang on the money there lad.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Doddy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:38 pm

There's a spectrum of engagement and marketing is often aiming to move consumers further along that spectrum. From those that don't know the product, through awareness, favourable opinion, trial, purchase, regular purchase, advocate etc.

For us it might be those that don't know the SANFL, awareness, affinity to a team, occasional attendance, regular attendance, membership, sponsor. Or something similar.

The digital pass only seems aimed at anchoring members, and maybe moving a few up to membership with the discount offer. It doesn't do anything to address the larger problems of falling interest and attendance. Any success in boosting attendance and engagement would probably have the same incremental effect on increasing membership anyway.

But radio coverage is something that can have a positive effect on all but the top steps of that spectrum and move everyone up a step, especially for example from affinity to a team to occasional attendance, be they lapsed or new fans. It seems like madness to discourage it, and I hope it's not some misguided effort to push us towards the digital pass, any $ it earns early are just stolen from future revenues.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby VALE PARK » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Some good comments there.
Last edited by VALE PARK on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:19 pm

Never once did I ever think, wow, Ill get involved again because of more radio broadcasts but video streams have done that for me, radio is a dying medium. The dinosaurs are dying out anyway, no need to cater for them as there is no growth there.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:02 am

Wedgie wrote:Never once did I ever think, wow, Ill get involved again because of more radio broadcasts but video streams have done that for me, radio is a dying medium. The dinosaurs are dying out anyway, no need to cater for them as there is no growth there.

But where is the growth when you have to pay to stream??

You are a life long fan of the comp, this got you interested again.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:13 am

Well above all, the 'powers' that be at SANFL Headquarters will be able to 'crow' how memberships are up again which is down to having the AFL Reseves in the comp.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby matt35 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Called 5aa on this yesterday morning. Mentioned the specific issue no radio creates for me and others in my situation, and also explained why the stream doesn't solve that issue. They then got Jake Parkinson on. I took from what he is saying that they will be providing, free of charge, an audio only stream, and they believe they have tested it and have reduced the delay to only 2 seconds. I don't believe I've heard an online stream get close to this, but look forward to seeing for myself on Friday night and will reserve judgement.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Wedgie » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:35 pm

matt35 wrote:Called 5aa on this yesterday morning. Mentioned the specific issue no radio creates for me and others in my situation, and also explained why the stream doesn't solve that issue. They then got Jake Parkinson on. I took from what he is saying that they will be providing, free of charge, an audio only stream, and they believe they have tested it and have reduced the delay to only 2 seconds. I don't believe I've heard an online stream get close to this, but look forward to seeing for myself on Friday night and will reserve judgement.

Good luck mate, I hope it does work as promised.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:45 pm

I hope so, but where has the promotion of this been??
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Re: Rumour re Media Coverag

Postby VALE PARK » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:39 pm

A substitute,
a bit complicated but I am a bit back dated.
Yeah.
Still prefer the radio.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:58 pm

The neighbour who is a Norwood follower, might go to 1 match a year but follows the scores throughout the league. He showed me the app, it opens up at RD7????
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:43 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The neighbour who is a Norwood follower, might go to 1 match a year but follows the scores throughout the league. He showed me the app, it opens up at RD7????

Yeah that's weird, came across that last week. Technical glitch.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10299 times
Been liked: 1517 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby southee » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:51 pm

matt35 wrote:Called 5aa on this yesterday morning. Mentioned the specific issue no radio creates for me and others in my situation, and also explained why the stream doesn't solve that issue. They then got Jake Parkinson on. I took from what he is saying that they will be providing, free of charge, an audio only stream, and they believe they have tested it and have reduced the delay to only 2 seconds. I don't believe I've heard an online stream get close to this, but look forward to seeing for myself on Friday night and will reserve judgement.

Heard this issue discussed yesterday with Parkinson. Thought the 5AA panel were weak asking him the hard questions. Cornesy tried a bit but we got "wish washy" answers. Parkinson could not answer a few questions and thought the interview was quite awkward in parts.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:10 am

Wedgie wrote:Never once did I ever think, wow, Ill get involved again because of more radio broadcasts but video streams have done that for me, radio is a dying medium. The dinosaurs are dying out anyway, no need to cater for them as there is no growth there.

From my understanding, radio is actually the most consistent form of revenue stream in media at the current time.
It's not dying, at all.
Other media revenues, particularly tv and newspapers have dropped massively in revenue. Radio has maintained its position.
This may not stay the case, but that is how it is right now.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:18 am

But it's the dinosaurs who are the ones handing down to the younger generations the love of the game, more importantly the love of the club.

Old Tiger Grandpa is the best person to influence young Tiger grandson/daughter to follow the Bays, not a pay as you go stream. If the Tiger Grandpa gives up trying to influence Tiger cub then they're most likely lost to the SANFL.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL