Life ban

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Life ban

Postby The Big Shrek » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Do people actually think the league is fair https://www.facebook.com/callum.hay3/po ... 4621365106
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Re: Life ban

Postby Trader » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:57 am

From the vision he posted, it seems he was the main instigator that turned a football incident (a tackle) into a melee. During the melee he then made forceful contact with an umpire and got a 15 week suspension.
It was a grand final, where suspensions are doubled, so effectively he got 7-8 for inciting a melee and making forceful contact with an umpire.
Perhaps a little harsh, but not miles over the top for mine.

The rules are fairly clear that 12 games plus gets you de-registered. I have no issues with the league holding that line.

If anything, the player in question should have tried to appeal the suspension at the time, not tried to get special dispensation to be allowed to play 3 years later.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Pine Warmer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:14 am

The melee actually started from a rocs player sling tackling a hawks player and knocking him out. Is callum in the wrong for standing up for one of his best mates? He didnt go in fists flying, he didnt even hurt the opposing player.

Also he got 7 weeks for the sling tackle, how many did the rocs player get?

The umpire part is hard but for anyone who has played footy and has been in a melee would know that you are wary of whats coming from behind or the sides as anyone could run in. I believe hes thought the ump was a rocs player (dont understand why they wore that colour when rocs are playing) because the ump was streaming in his direction to send the other hawks bloke off that was actually throwing punches. Im all for umpire protection but 2-3 games would have been more than enough.

I also believe the hawks did everything in their power to get callum off at the time but to no avail. Surely 3 years out of the league and playing footy in another league with 0 reports or any incidents, and also representing our state on numerous occasions would be enough to be given a chance to play footy with the club he wants and with the club his family has been around for decades.
Pine Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Western Districts

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:29 am

What was the breakdown of charges laid?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby whufc » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:17 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:What was the breakdown of charges laid?

6 for the sling tackle
9 for contact with an umpire
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:50 am

It was pretty negligent to push the umpire. He is looking right at him and from what I can see he was blowing his whistle as he is running in so saying he was confused as a Rocs player doesn't really mount a strong argument. I wasn't there but the footage to me shows a bloke who lost his cool after sticking up for his mate. His actions incited a far bigger problem though and he pushed an umpire. You would get at least 10-12 weeks for doing that in the AFL. You just can't touch umpires and him getting fired up caused the umpires to be so involved and close to the issues arising.

It's not the worst thing I have seen on a footy field but he pushed an umpire and him blowing up was the reason why the umpire was there. May see unfair but I can see why he has been given more than 12 weeks.

Probably need to know the full story here as the injured team mate also had support staff around him so it looks as if there was a delay between the initial incident and then the said mellee which then caused the chaos that erupted.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:01 am

Got 9 weeks for that but 6 for the melee?

I think the main point is why not let the bloke back on a bond. No reports before or after this, has played zone and state country footy. Doesn't deserve a life ban for that.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:15 am

I'm not questioning the blokes integrity mate. However it's a scenario that did play out. From my understanding he seems a good bloke.

How long was the gap between the incident that injured his team mate and this fight starting? Because if there is a gap then what is the need to start a fight? It's not like everyone come running for that bloke straight away! If there was a gap I can see why he was given the 12 plus weeks. Again I am not questioning the blokes integrity.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby beef » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:18 am

Why impose life bans if you can play again after 3 years. what has he showed to say he should be allowed to play in the league again. Play good footy and not getting suspended? Big deal, he should do that anyway.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby jo172 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:37 am

Given the events of last year I can't see the league extending many favours for people done for contact with umpires (and rightly so)
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby VALE PARK » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:43 am

A life ban is a life ban.
Don't touch umpires,
every player knows the rules.
How are we going to get young kids into umpiring if tribunals are weak on this.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby RustyCage » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:00 am

After watching the footage it's hard to feel sorry for him
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby morell » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:18 am

Trader wrote:From the vision he posted, it seems he was the main instigator that turned a football incident (a tackle) into a melee. During the melee he then made forceful contact with an umpire and got a 15 week suspension.
It was a grand final, where suspensions are doubled, so effectively he got 7-8 for inciting a melee and making forceful contact with an umpire.
Perhaps a little harsh, but not miles over the top for mine.

The rules are fairly clear that 12 games plus gets you de-registered. I have no issues with the league holding that line.

If anything, the player in question should have tried to appeal the suspension at the time, not tried to get special dispensation to be allowed to play 3 years later.
This is not correct I dont think. He got 6 weeks for the tackle and 9 for the umpire contact.

I agree overall though, a 7-8 week suspension for that is fair. The guy he was ragdolling wasn't fighting back, clearly wanted no part of it, yet he very dangerously slung him to the ground incredibly forcibly - all this when it was ages after any incident.

Flying the flag doesn't mean smashing someone into the ground.

Combine that with obviously shoving an umpire and yeah, 8 weeks is about right, The league decided to go all guns blazing and whacked him harder. Life ban probably overly harsh. Would have him in the last chance saloon.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby jo172 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:11 pm

Out of curiosity why didn't he appeal it at the time?

I'm with you on the 15 weeks being a bit tough.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby The Bedge » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:28 pm

I think deregistration and life bans are over the top in general - no second chances, no opportunity for rehabilitation etc.. even the criminal justice system has more leniency and empathy.

Ingle Farm had a kid cop 12 games the other year at 21yo, first ever offence, never even sent off prior and one stuff up has stuffed his whole football "life" forever.

By all means hand out hefty suspensions and penalties, but life bans are just stupid.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby jo172 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:50 pm

Zartan wrote:I think deregistration and life bans are over the top in general - no second chances, no opportunity for rehabilitation etc.. even the criminal justice system has more leniency and empathy.

Ingle Farm had a kid cop 12 games the other year at 21yo, first ever offence, never even sent off prior and one stuff up has stuffed his whole football "life" forever.

By all means hand out hefty suspensions and penalties, but life bans are just stupid.

Would you let Adam Rumbleow back in the League?

Surely there's a line somewhere where they're appropriate
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby The Bedge » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:30 pm

jo172 wrote:Would you let Adam Rumbleow back in the League?

Surely there's a line somewhere where they're appropriate

Well looking at his age anyway, giving the bloke a really hefty penalty would likely force him into retirement anyway, and then you'd think the footy club would internally deal with the matter as well - so hard to see him playing again.

Also think there is a difference between headbutting an umpire and shoving one like Hay did in the video.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Q. » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:48 pm

People more often than not deserve a second chance. He's been playing for three years in another league with a clean record, so let him play D1 under a good behaviour bond.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby tigerpie » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:11 pm

The punishment no way fits the crime. I'd like to see the lead up!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:24 pm

tigerpie wrote:The punishment no way fits the crime. I'd like to see the lead up!

Didn't this happen in the GF replay? Salisbury North thought they would assert their 'toughness' it didn't work....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League