Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Port Pirie Power » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:36 pm

backoftheroom wrote:Pretty interesting case at Northerns. Over the next few weeks I'll post what I believe each club needs, some more specific than others, and I'd love some feedback.

Northern Districts

Finaihed 12th, 7th, 10th & 13th across the Seniors. U14's finsihed 4th in the Red and 6th in Whites. 16's teams were last or second last.

Need
Good young players, as well as some good games from their underperforming older players who are going around again. Also need to sort out their coaching situation because it's a different story every time you ask.

Have Spoken/Should Speak To
Tate Robins (ET) knocked them back, this was around the last game of the year. Tim Oakley (TTG) is probably the next best bet in the area from a young quick standpoint. Given their location they'd need to draw from surrounding clubs. They have spoken to Tyrell Sinclair (TTG) and he's going somewhere, just could be ND or Pros depending on who you ask.

Key Next Season
Easy to say, but win some games. Talent retention is obviously a big talking point with the Jets and if they can bring across a couple guys from other clubs it may sway those guys who want to go back and play Turf cricket. Likely to be at the bottom for a while, particularly if the Giniotis not playing rumours are true.

Totally agree with all of the above. Looking through MyCricket this afternoon they have a group of 27+ year olds that didn't perform as well as they should, those of which (Pascoe K & T, Gogoll, Burge) have had a few lean seasons of late. Maybe they need to move on to really expose the youth? Maybe not?

Tim Oakley bowled really well against the Jets when they played this season and while I'm unsure he would leave the Gullies he would be a good addition to their side and if Thompson decided to stay they would have two young quality bowlers that could provide a lot of good seasons for the Jets.

Does anyone know what Ben Turley is doing? I heard a whisper that he was putting his name out there? He'd be a handy pick up at any club and definitely his batting, bowling and experience at the Jets would help!

Cosgrove (30), Thompson (18) and Marks (28 but moving elsewhere) were this seasons best players at the Jets and when you add Bray (19) to that they do have a balance of young and old. They just need to retain the youth and provide them a place to get better. Whilst getting every good but they can while Cossie is still there!

Whilst Pooraka are so strong it will be difficult to keep players from not wanting to play there, especially those of which have mates at the club. Pooraka not only have some older Jets (Hanson, Bailey, Amundsen) but also some young jets that left and followed their fathers. But definitely some success should see Salisbury Oval back strong and healthy how it was years ago and how it should be for years to come!
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:Does anyone know what Ben Turley is doing? I heard a whisper that he was putting his name out there? He'd be a handy pick up at any club and definitely his batting, bowling and experience at the Jets would help!

Wonder if the karma bus will back up over this mooted move.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Port Pirie Power » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:42 pm

heater31 wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:Does anyone know what Ben Turley is doing? I heard a whisper that he was putting his name out there? He'd be a handy pick up at any club and definitely his batting, bowling and experience at the Jets would help!

What do you mean by the karma bus mate??

I wasn't trying to moot a move at all, was just curious..

I highly doubt Ben would leave the Peckers, but if he did, there'd be clubs after him I would have thought.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:33 pm

Turley had a foot injury this season. Hardly played any games. Can't imagine he'd leave. Family has strong ties there.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 243 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:01 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:
heater31 wrote:

I highly doubt Ben would leave the Peckers, but if he did, there'd be clubs after him I would have thought.

Strong rumour (from horses mouth so to speak) was he was going to Port, with Josh Hoffman going back there too. With Senior Turdley so involved at Woodville, this would be surprising.

The other story going around is there is going to be a mass exodus from Woodville, and the above mentioned player was the reason why, his team mates can't stand him.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Port Pirie Power » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Strong rumour (from horses mouth so to speak) was he was going to Port, with Josh Hoffman going back there too. With Senior Turdley so involved at Woodville, this would be surprising.

The other story going around is there is going to be a mass exodus from Woodville, and the above mentioned player was the reason why, his team mates can't stand him.

Thats very similar to what I have heard. I know Port would love Turley however don't think they want Hoffy back.... I heard Coles, Tietjens and young Warren Peters were gone as well as the 2 before mentioned.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:51 pm

I highly doubt Ben would leave the Peckers, but if he did, there'd be clubs after him I would have thought.[/quote]

The other story going around is there is going to be a mass exodus from Woodville, and the above mentioned player was the reason why, his team mates can't stand him.[/quote]

Thats very similar to what I have heard. I know Port would love Turley however don't think they want Hoffy back.... I heard Coles, Tietjens and young Warren Peters were gone as well as the 2 before mentioned.[/quote]

You are a welcome addition to the Grade Cricket Forum "Port Pirie Power", you know your stuff, everything you have posted so far is spot on!

Tietjens is retiring as his body is shot, Peters wants to come back to West Torrens where he captained our Ray Sutton Premiership and his mates still play, and Hoffman is a bad influence that is not wanted by Clubs that have a good culture.

No surprise on Giniotis either, have spoken to his old man several times over last couple of years, and he basically had to force Kyle to go to training and to matches, if a kid is like that at 17 there is a problem, as when your form goes like happened to him then the cricket field is the last place he would want to be!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Port Pirie Power » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:30 am

I'm glad to be here mate. Some of the news and insights into other clubs is fantastic!

I'm hoping my news stays correct, I have a few good sources!

Totally agree with what you say about Giniotos, crickets a hard game without enjoying it, the game becomes even harder. I'm sure his clubs position doesn't help his feelings towards the game much either. I know Peter Sleep is a big fan of him!

Interesting about Warren Peters. There's a few young kids in the same boat as him. To continue playing at a place you aren't happy at but play in the A grade?? Or to make a fresh start and potentially not play A grade at all?? It's a huge decision, especially for a kids who should have ambitions of higher honours.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:55 am

Eagles2014 wrote:

No surprise on Giniotis either, have spoken to his old man several times over last couple of years, and he basically had to force Kyle to go to training and to matches, if a kid is like that at 17 there is a problem, as when your form goes like happened to him then the cricket field is the last place he would want to be!

The problem nowadays is there is so much cricket around for the kids and they wanna play every bit they can.

I do remember Kyle playing at Two Wells and Craigmore at the same time and I'm sure he has doubled/tripled up many weekends over the years.

I seen it with my two step-sons who were very talented and then just packed it in.

Now for a talented 11 year old there is PDCA (Saturday morning), SACA 14's (Saturday afternoon), WSJCA (Sunday mornings) and Ray Sutton (Sunday afternoon), add into this the Statewide Cup and SAMCA Cup and it becomes quite a schedule, over 50 matches in a season.

Added to this, when a parent or child let clubs or association sides know that they can't fulfill the obligation they become snubbed.

I seen my son losing a bit of interest the past season as it was becoming a chore so I cut down his workload and let him just be a kid for a change and do kid things.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Angry Bull » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:37 am

any truth to the rumor that Miller is leaving Prospect for Glandore?
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby The Hound » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:23 pm

The Angry Bull wrote:any truth to the rumor that Miller is leaving Prospect for Glandore?

If happening, hope the Buffs have deep pockets, big asking price is what I am hearing :-k

Not just player movement either, expect a few coaching changes across the board!
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:32 pm

The Angry Bull wrote:any truth to the rumor that Miller is leaving Prospect for Glandore?

Was supposedly close to going to Sturt last year or the year before according to rumours on here. Will believe it when I see it. Seems pretty ensconced at the Pirates and they've got plenty of money themselves if that's an issue.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Did anything happen with the proposal for Port to play in U16 and U14 Whites only? Can't imagine the club would be for it. Any player they have who is Reds quality would leave to a rival club. Sure, that might only be a handful but those handful of players are the ones you want to hang onto.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Port Pirie Power » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:56 pm

I did hear that Sam may be on the move. However, the only club I heard offering him money and big money was Modbury in ATCA. I know he plays T20 for them so a possible connection somehow.

In other news, Trent Pascoe wants to captain Northern Districts A grade... Wonder how that will play out...
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby Happycamper » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:03 pm

I believe Miller is staying at Prospect.
Happycamper
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Computer Crashed » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:

I did hear that Sam may be on the move. However, the only club I heard offering him money and big money was Modbury in ATCA. I know he plays T20 for them so a possible connection somehow.

In other news, Trent Pascoe wants to captain Northern Districts A grade... Wonder how that will play out...

Modbury, biggest bunch of self proclaimed champions that do nothing, oh, apart from sook and carry on like pork chops.
Bunch of lads that have grown up together virtually through juniors that still think it's U/16 cricket and act like it.
I would seriously doubt it, money, I don't think so.
Now your giving Pooraka ideas.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby Arch44 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Turley wont be leaving Woodville and Port Adelaide are the ones initiating the call as usual. Dont forget they will lose Ludeman and wasted their money on Cooper.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Trent Pascoe would be a good skipper I reckon. Quality bowler too if he can get over his injury niggles. Handy batsman. Would be a good move for the club.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Port Pirie Power » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Trent Pascoe would be a good skipper I reckon. Quality bowler too if he can get over his injury niggles. Handy batsman. Would be a good move for the club.

He won't ever be able to bowl like he did unfortunately, injuries have gotten the better of him. Will definitely make B grade runs, looking at his stats he hit 1 run in 3 A grade innings. Him being captain could work, however, if they got rid f Cosgrove has captain that club would have definitely hit rock bottom.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:17 pm

The Hound wrote:

If happening, hope the Buffs have deep pockets, big asking price is what I am hearing :-k

Not just player movement either, expect a few coaching changes across the board!

On the subject of coaches, a bit of an obvious one here, but Mark Harrity has been re-contracted for 2017/18 by West Torrens.
He pretty much has the job for as long as he likes... brilliant coach and communicator who bleeds for the club and the boys.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps