AFL Round 3

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 3

Postby Magellan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:49 am

JK wrote:Geez Robby went to town on SA last night on 360 over the racism issues of the last two Showdowns. He's right that it needs to be stamped out obviously, but really missed the point that racism is an issue throughout the country, and needs all parts to fight the battle.

Absolutely, evidenced by the recent rise of Aussie 'patriot' right-wing hate groups.

I guess we should be thankful that there's no muslim Power or Crows players.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:57 am

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:Geez Robby went to town on SA last night on 360 over the racism issues of the last two Showdowns. He's right that it needs to be stamped out obviously, but really missed the point that racism is an issue throughout the country, and needs all parts to fight the battle.

I think his point is somewhat valid though. This is the second showdown in a row this has happened.

Hence why I said it's obvious it needs to be stamped out.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:54 am

I find it amusing that when Betts or any other indigenous person speaks out about it (and so he certainly should), people applaud them (and so they should) but when Goodes speaks up and he's a sook. I have friends who aren't even cow or pear supporters (and some even follow those two clubs) who love the stand these clubs and the above people have taken to stamp out racism, but on the other hand have ripped pieces of Goodes for the stand he made! You could even chuck in the broader football community too!
Double standards at its finest.

Can't stand racism and I want to say personally it's great what these clubs are doing!!!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:32 am

Racism at the footy has always been there, this episode is nothing new, I hope that the recent cases show that people are no longer going to ignore it and will call people out on it, and with the advent of social media there is more power to weed out the dickheads...this is where we are at right now. Going through some pain to get to the end where is is completely unacceptable.

With a bit of luck in 5 years time we will be looking back on this period as one of change.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:36 am

woodublieve12 wrote:I find it amusing that when Betts or any other indigenous person speaks out about it (and so he certainly should), people applaud them (and so they should) but when Goodes speaks up and he's a sook. I have friends who aren't even cow or pear supporters (and some even follow those two clubs) who love the stand these clubs and the above people have taken to stamp out racism, but on the other hand have ripped pieces of Goodes for the stand he made! You could even chuck in the broader football community too!
Double standards at its finest.

Can't stand racism and I want to say personally it's great what these clubs are doing!!!

Simple, people don't like Adam Goodes because he is Adam Goodes, Paddy Ryder didn't even want it to go public, the media go to Eddie Betts about it and he brushes it off and just wants to focus on his footy, Goodes wanted it all to be about himself.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:38 am

Dutchy wrote:Racism at the footy has always been there, this episode is nothing new, I hope that the recent cases show that people are no longer going to ignore it and will call people out on it, and with the advent of social media there is more power to weed out the dickheads...this is where we are at right now. Going through some pain to get to the end where is is completely unacceptable.

With a bit of luck in 5 years time we will be looking back on this period as one of change.

Nothing will change because of 1 simple element involved: People.

The world is always going to have someone step up to outf**kwit someone else.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:47 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Simple, people don't like Adam Goodes because he is Adam Goodes, Paddy Ryder didn't even want it to go public, the media go to Eddie Betts about it and he brushes it off and just wants to focus on his footy, Goodes wanted it all to be about himself.

So what you're saying is people only want to applaud clubs addressing racism when it's not an indigenous person speaking up about it?

As long as a white person is championing against racism that's ok, but a black person doing it is attention seeking?

Are you also saying that if Betts and/or Ryder spoke out that people would suddenly not like them as well - but because they don't want to speak out it's ok?

#Oppressed
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55 am

Zartan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Simple, people don't like Adam Goodes because he is Adam Goodes, Paddy Ryder didn't even want it to go public, the media go to Eddie Betts about it and he brushes it off and just wants to focus on his footy, Goodes wanted it all to be about himself.

So what you're saying is people only want to applaud clubs addressing racism when it's not an indigenous person speaking up about it?

As long as a white person is championing against racism that's ok, but a black person doing it is attention seeking?

Are you also saying that if Betts and/or Ryder spoke out that people would suddenly not like them as well - but because they don't want to speak out it's ok?

#Oppressed

I'm saying that people don't like Adam Goodes for various reasons, it seems as though it's largely to the way he goes about things.

I really have no opinion of him, he had a successful football career and I've never met the guy so each to their own.

I was simply forming an opinion of how the public perceives different individuals based on their actions.

It's sad in this day and age that this bullshit is still rife in society, I have three step children that are aboriginal and are very proud of their heritage, something I take comfort in learning when they share it with me.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 95eeaf1cbf

THIS is the united face against racism in AFL football.

Crows and Power indigenous players stood side-by-side, with their club bosses, team leaders and coaches, at Adelaide Oval to send a message they will no longer tolerate racial slurs from the terraces.

The inspiring show of solidarity came as SA Police yesterday reported Maxine Spratt for allegedly racially sledging Crows forward Eddie Betts on her Facebook page.

And, Port Adelaide suspended the membership of a fan who taunted Betts and is urging a Crows supporter who vilified Patrick Ryder to enrol in a racial education program.

“We stand here — together with our Aboriginal teammates — to say they deserve more respect,” Power captain Travis Boak said. “We’re here to make a stance. Enough is enough.”

Crows captain Taylor Walker added: “We are united with a strong message — racism has no place in everyday life and certainly not in sport. And we will not tolerate it any more.”

Port Adelaide president David Koch also wants SA Police to charge the fans involved in the brawl on the Oval’s hill at the end of Showdown 42 with assault, after claims a female fan was “king hit” during the derby.

“We take that seriously — and we want police to charge (those involved in the brawl) with assault,” Koch said.

Expressing their disappointment, Boak and Walker said the abuse had to stop, and all players should be treated with respect.

The Port Adelaide and Adelaide football clubs stood together at Adelaide Oval yesterday — scene of crowd violence and racial taunting of indigenous players Eddie Betts and Ryder on Saturday night — to declare zero tolerance of racism.

Port Adelaide has suspended the membership of a fan who taunted Betts and is urging the Crows supporter who vilified Ryder to come forward to enrol in a racial education program.

Neither Betts nor Ryder, who originally did not want to be identified as a target of racial slurs, made public comments yesterday.

Walker told The Advertiser the slurs on Betts at the Oval and on social media had hit “our (indigenous) boys pretty hard”.

This is the second time Betts has been subjected to racial insults during a Showdown. A Power fan threw a banana on the field near Betts in the derby last August.

“This has rocked them, all of them,” Walker said. “They are a close group. And we feel for them, too, because we are united with them in saying there is no place for racism in our society.”

Boak revealed Ryder and his family had been shocked by the remarks made by a Crows fan who ran from the Oval when security staff were altered to his racist taunts.

“This has hurt Paddy’s family — and us as a football family — more than people think,” Boak said. “It makes us all angry. And it’s shocking that racism still exists in our society. We’re here, together, to say we want it to stop.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:00 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Racism at the footy has always been there, this episode is nothing new, I hope that the recent cases show that people are no longer going to ignore it and will call people out on it, and with the advent of social media there is more power to weed out the dickheads...this is where we are at right now. Going through some pain to get to the end where is is completely unacceptable.

Nothing will change because of 1 simple element involved: People.

The world is always going to have someone step up to outf**kwit someone else.

Always be the dickhead factor, but all of this is getting the 1% of dickheads in a crowd down to a 0.10% level.

Bit like how what is acceptable to say/act in the workplace has changed in the last decade.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:04 am

Dutchy wrote:
Always be the dickhead factor, but all of this is getting the 1% of dickheads in a crowd down to a 0.10% level.

Bit like how what is acceptable to say/act in the workplace has changed in the last decade.

Yeah, having multiple instances at the one game is just plain sad, the fat hoe wasn't at the game though hey?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:41 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Yeah, having multiple instances at the one game is just plain sad, the fat hoe wasn't at the game though hey?

Yeah well that one shouldn't have played out in the mainstream media.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:48 am

Dutchy wrote:
Yeah well that one shouldn't have played out in the mainstream media.

I'm sure they were proud of themselves that night as they chucked the sock on the door handle.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:51 am

The Bedge
Coach

Postby carey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:09 pm

Zartan wrote:http://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/the-brawl-that-changed-afl!618133

Are you allowed to post on this forum? ;)
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby The Bedge » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:10 pm

carey wrote:Are you allowed to post on this forum? ;)

Prob not lol.. thought i could fly under the radar by only posting outside the SAAFL threads :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Zartan wrote:http://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/the-brawl-that-changed-afl!618133

How did that dude miss a stationary target LOL.

There's something quite different watching men in chino's and slip-ons trying to fight, it's kind of like a body builder taking his cat for a walk on a leash.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Hardly only an issue in SA. that would be like saying all Victorians are drunks...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:There's something quite different about men in chino's and slip-ons

EFA
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:42 pm

MW wrote:

Hardly only an issue in SA. that would be like saying all Victorians are drunks...

Did Robbo go to town over Eddie and Goodes episode??
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL