SHOC
4%
Unley Mercedes Jets
7%

Total votes : 55

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 2 - 2017

Postby zedman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:34 am

zedman wrote:
trained with the local barmera lads, who train with us, a few weeks ago..was pretty sure that would be his destination eventually..

bingo..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:51 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/east-hills/what-itll-take-to-save-this-113yearold-footy-club-auditors-hand-down-report-suggest-changes/news-story/941a2e4713da0992eccea5b71b90a275

A LONG-standing northeastern football club must cut player payments, increase membership costs and close its bistro or risk folding, a new report has found.

Campbelltown Council last week agreed to agreed to temporarily suspend payments the 113-year old Athelstone Football Club was making to service a more than $200,000 debt – but only if it agreed to address its ailing finances.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby bird of prey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:06 pm

jo172 wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/east-hills/what-itll-take-to-save-this-113yearold-footy-club-auditors-hand-down-report-suggest-changes/news-story/941a2e4713da0992eccea5b71b90a275

A LONG-standing northeastern football club must cut player payments, increase membership costs and close its bistro or risk folding, a new report has found.

Campbelltown Council last week agreed to agreed to temporarily suspend payments the 113-year old Athelstone Football Club was making to service a more than $200,000 debt – but only if it agreed to address its ailing finances.

I wonder if the council realises the full value of the service that this club provides to the community.

I wouldn't think this clubs player payments are a huge concern either.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:12 pm

bird of prey wrote:
jo172 wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/east-hills/what-itll-take-to-save-this-113yearold-footy-club-auditors-hand-down-report-suggest-changes/news-story/941a2e4713da0992eccea5b71b90a275

I wonder if the council realises the full value of the service that this club provides to the community.

All unnecessary expenditure would need to be slashed. 1 creditor owed $200k not sure how any incorporated not for profit organisation can get itself out of this mess...
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby bird of prey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:37 pm

heater31 wrote:
bird of prey wrote:

All unnecessary expenditure would need to be slashed. 1 creditor owed $200k not sure how any incorporated not for profit organisation can get itself out of this mess...

There has to be more to it than the club owing the council $200k. That's a lot of debt to be carrying from them. I think there's more behind the scenes that we don't know.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Postby jo172 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:42 am

My limited (and possibly outdated) understanding is that the pokies/bistro operates 7 days a week. Difficult venture for a community club to run by itself.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby S Demon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:48 am

jo172 wrote:My limited (and possibly outdated) understanding is that the pokies/bistro operates 7 days a week. Difficult venture for a community club to run by itself.

Didn't they scrap their pokies a while ago?
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 am

bird of prey wrote:

Their beer prices are the highest I've seen at a club last time I bought one there, your first line is paramount though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby SATCHEL » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:02 pm

This isn't good for any club under any circumstance. Regardless of where the money was or is spent. The impact locally and of course to the league far outweighs that of financial re-reimbursement in the short to medium term. Its good to see the council has come to the party to help them out. With our situation which is by no means anywhere near that. The best advice is to communicate as much as possible with your vendors and suppliers and let them know what your position is. You never know what they can do for you to help. The worst they can say is No but then you at least know where you stand. Athelstone are a great club with some great people and i hope they can at least learn from some of the mistakes (not saying there were any made as i'm looking from the outside) and make those examples as not what to do in the future. The responsibility now is on the club to listen and abide by the suggested financial changes. If not then its only a matter of time as to when and not if the club closes. Which will be a shame. The league is better with the Raggies in the competition.
SATCHEL
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 53 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby bird of prey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:21 pm

I've heard this story is such a crock.
The figures in this story are completely misleading.
I heard the president also made contact with the journo. But they failed to report that too.

Move along people, nothing to see here I guess :D
bird of prey
Under 18s

Postby jo172 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:31 pm

bird of prey wrote:I've heard this story is such a crock.
I heard the president also made contact with the journo. But they failed to report that too.

http://www.campbelltown.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=3436&c=26703

Can read it for yourself in the Council's Agenda:

Across the last 3 years of operations, the Club has lost a total of $420,464, with its net
equity sitting at $35,466 as at 14 March 2017.
The findings of the review performed by BRM Holdich are summarised below:
 Financial viability – the Club has been provided with an action plan to address a
number of issues. It currently does not have sufficient cash reserves to meet its
financial obligations
 Raggies Bistro – this area of the business has lost an average of $92,000 per
annum across the last three years and requires significant subsidies from other
areas of the business to operate, which is clearly not sustainable. BRM Holdich
have recommended that the food service be closed and that existing Staff be
terminated
 Governance – the Club is in breach of a number of provisions in its Constitution,
which likely means that members are unaware of the current situation. BRM Holdich
recommend that Council suspend the repayments of loans, leases and sundry
debtors until October 2017, subject to there being governance improvements put in
place by the Management Committee
 Committee Succession – the Committee has been comprised of the same people
for a number of years, with no succession plan in place. Complying with the Club’s
Constitution would assist in addressing these issues, provide members with greater

Profit/Loss on Senior Football $88,079 in 2016 (albeit this methodology in itself is misleading given subs are unlikely to recoup everything and this is of course why we fundraise)
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby bird of prey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:21 pm

jo172 wrote:
bird of prey wrote:I've heard this story is such a crock.

http://www.campbelltown.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=3436&c=26703

Can read it for yourself in the Council's Agenda:

Across the last 3 years of operations, the Club has lost a total of $420,464, with its net
equity sitting at $35,466 as at 14 March 2017.
The findings of the review performed by BRM Holdich are summarised below:
 Financial viability – the Club has been provided with an action plan to address a
number of issues. It currently does not have sufficient cash reserves to meet its
financial obligations
 Raggies Bistro – this area of the business has lost an average of $92,000 per
annum across the last three years and requires significant subsidies from other
areas of the business to operate, which is clearly not sustainable. BRM Holdich
have recommended that the food service be closed and that existing Staff be
terminated
 Governance – the Club is in breach of a number of provisions in its Constitution,
which likely means that members are unaware of the current situation. BRM Holdich
recommend that Council suspend the repayments of loans, leases and sundry
debtors until October 2017, subject to there being governance improvements put in
place by the Management Committee
 Committee Succession – the Committee has been comprised of the same people
for a number of years, with no succession plan in place. Complying with the Club’s
Constitution would assist in addressing these issues, provide members with greater

Profit/Loss on Senior Football $88,079 in 2016 (albeit this methodology in itself is misleading given subs are unlikely to recoup everything and this is of course why we fundraise)

Interesting reply from the club though....

http://www.athelstonefc.org.au/pageitem ... tyID=35540
bird of prey
Under 18s

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:35 am

Does anyone else's council (apart from other clubs in the Campbelltown council area) get charged ridiculous rates like this for oval hire?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:40 am

I know there were a lot of clubs around that were (or are) on what they call peppercorn leases, which is where you pay a minuscule fee for renting the oval if you have a really long term lease.

I remember PNU used to be on one until they upgraded the lights, not sure if they still are. Jo will know
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:48 am

Pag wrote:Does anyone else's council (apart from other clubs in the Campbelltown council area) get charged ridiculous rates like this for oval hire?

We are on what the Council assures us is 25% of what the Council spends to maintain the ground.

Given what this 25% ends up being I fail to understand why Payneham Oval doesn't have a full retractable roof, car parking under the centre square and a large replay screen.

Seriously, given the Council would be obliged to mow the lawn/top dress whether someone is playing football there or not, and we could paint lines etc. ourselves it's a constant bug-bear.

Without disclosing anything to confidential, this 25% equates to essentially a football season's worth of bar profit.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:57 am

jo172 wrote:
Pag wrote:Does anyone else's council (apart from other clubs in the Campbelltown council area) get charged ridiculous rates like this for oval hire?

We are on what the Council assures us is 25% of what the Council spends to maintain the ground.

Given what this 25% ends up being I fail to understand why Payneham Oval doesn't have a full retractable roof, car parking under the centre square and a large replay screen.

Seriously, given the Council would be obliged to mow the lawn/top dress whether someone is playing football there or not, and we could paint lines etc. ourselves it's a constant bug-bear.

Without disclosing anything to confidential, this 25% equates to essentially a football season's worth of bar profit.

I do recall there being a ruckus about it because I think they introduced this (although I didnt know the extent of the rise) about when the club got the go ahead to work on the lights
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:01 am

Footy Chick wrote:
jo172 wrote:

I do recall there being a ruckus about it because I think they introduced this (although I didnt know the extent of the rise) about when the club got the go ahead to work on the lights

Second on the list of bug-bears (all hindsight of course) is getting the lights just shortly before LED becomes a big thing. Had that all happened a few years down the track when LED was the predominant technology we'd be using a superior technology which was much cheaper. Ah well.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:51 am

jo172 wrote:

This gobsmacks me.
Don't citizens pay rates in order for the council to maintain recreation reserves?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:59 am

Pag wrote:
jo172 wrote:

This gobsmacks me.
Don't citizens pay rates in order for the council to maintain recreation reserves?

One also would have thought there is considerable public benefit in volunteer run organisations providing recreational sporting activity to the broader community.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby S Demon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I know there were a lot of clubs around that were (or are) on what they call peppercorn leases, which is where you pay a minuscule fee for renting the oval if you have a really long term lease.

I remember PNU used to be on one until they upgraded the lights, not sure if they still are. Jo will know

Our lease got extended for 10 years in April last year. $1 fee per annum to lease the ground and facilities
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League