Hawthorn 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Hawthorn 2017

Postby Wedgie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Is it true that if Hawthorn do bad enough for a priority pick that St Kilda get it anyway?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Wedgie wrote:Is it true that if Hawthorn do bad enough for a priority pick that St Kilda get it anyway?

No
And they will not get a PP even if they don't win a game regardless
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Wedgie wrote:Is it true that if Hawthorn do bad enough for a priority pick that St Kilda get it anyway?

No, to get a priority pick you need to mount a case based on several years of dismal performances. All going well the Hawks get one in 2022. ;)

Very real chance the Saints could get a top 3 pick though.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:53 pm

Cheers for the info, it seemed a bit far fetched.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby DOC » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:37 pm

According to the TAB facebook page (which I can not access ATM), Ty Vickery is concerned over the governments announcemnt on the crackdown on unskilled workers ....
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Wedgie wrote:Cheers for the info, it seemed a bit far fetched.

Saints could get the number 1 pick though, which would be an insanely good deal for them
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:37 pm

IMG_1308.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG (120.23 KiB) Viewed 435 times
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby MatteeG » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Horrible. Disinterested.

As for the team...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby BZB27 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Booney wrote:

No, to get a priority pick you need to mount a case based on several years of dismal performances. All going well the Hawks get one in 2022. ;)

Very real chance the Saints could get a top 3 pick though.

I was spewing at the time when we traded out our first pick last sessons but now not so much :lol: Bains is a genius now :)
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 am

O'meara's knee worse than first thought.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby stan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:08 am

woodublieve12 wrote:O'meara's knee worse than first thought.

Shocked to hear that a bloke that hasn't played footy for 2 years still has injury issues.

Didnt see that coming.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:18 am

Bzzt. Incorrect. Everyone knew it was bad, Hawthorn shredded a culture up and gave away a top 10 pick to get him. Well played Hawthorn. Well played.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:32 am

Booney wrote:

Bzzt. Incorrect. Everyone knew it was bad, Hawthorn shredded a culture up and gave away a top 10 pick to get him. Well played Hawthorn. Well played.

I was going to follow up my comment with a bit of a dig, but the hawk supporters a bit precious at the moment...

But, yeah no real surprise here...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Trader » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 am

I can accept the O'meara punt. Ultimately even if they kept the likes of Sammy Mitchell and Jordan Lewis, they'd need to be brining in some new talent next year when those two, together with Burgoyne and Hodge go as well.
There weren't exactly a huge number of young kids around looking to move so they took a punt on the best available, knowing it came with a risk.

What is a surprise is the Mitchell they brought in.
Watched the easter Monday game and was surprised at how bad he actually is.

I used to be surprised to see the numbers he was putting up in the NEAFL but struggled to crack the swans side on a regular basis.
Having seen his efforts on Monday, I now get why the swans didn't rate him.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby stan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 am

Trader wrote:I can accept the O'meara punt. Ultimately even if they kept the likes of Sammy Mitchell and Jordan Lewis, they'd need to be brining in some new talent next year when those two, together with Burgoyne and Hodge go as well.
There weren't exactly a huge number of young kids around looking to move so they took a punt on the best available, knowing it came with a risk.

I used to be surprised to see the numbers he was putting up in the NEAFL but struggled to crack the swans side on a regular basis.

T. Mitchell is ok. The thing is at the Swans he was the 4th or 5th midfielder. At the Hawks hes higher in the pecking order. Gets more attention now and is struggling with that.

He can find the ball, but his kicking is very balloony.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 am

stan wrote:
Trader wrote:I can accept the O'meara punt. Ultimately even if they kept the likes of Sammy Mitchell and Jordan Lewis, they'd need to be brining in some new talent next year when those two, together with Burgoyne and Hodge go as well.

T. Mitchell is ok. The thing is at the Swans he was the 4th or 5th midfielder. At the Hawks hes higher in the pecking order. Gets more attention now and is struggling with that.

He can find the ball, but his kicking is very balloony

This
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:57 am

The problem the Hawks have is they got rid of two blokes who could still be playing some quality football next year, maybe at a stretch the year after when the likes of Gibson, Frawley and Burgoyne look like they'll be done at the end of this year. I appreciate they didn't have the trade value that Mitchell and Lewis had, but.....they gave up Mitchell and Lewis, picks 14,36,54,72 and 2017 1st round AND 2017 second rounder.

They've got Vickery who we all bag relentlessly and it's not without reason, O'Meara who missed two, that's two full years with a bung knee and Mitchell who while I rate his ball winning ability can't kick over a jam tin.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing for sure, but it's looking like the worst trade we've ever seen.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:01 am

easy to be harsh on the hawks. They were always going to drop off at some point. Mitchell and Lewis may have kept them competitive for 1 more year, but they werent winning a flag this year regardless
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:12 am

bennymacca wrote:easy to be harsh on the hawks. They were always going to drop off at some point. Mitchell and Lewis may have kept them competitive for 1 more year, but they werent winning a flag this year regardless

Absolutely they were going to, but they've clearly over estimated the impact Mitchell and O'Meara were going to have and under rated the play Mitchell and Lewis were still capable of, couple that with the likes of Breust, Gunston, Gibson and co. looking a little lost without the old crew together and things look dire. Small sample size with only 4 games and while they are the ultimate professionals you can see it's going to be real tough for the likes of Burgoyne, McEvoy, Gibson, Frawley et al to get super motivated about the year ahead when their past is so decorated and their time in the game is coming to an end.

I think the biggest mistake is giving up this years first and second round picks, they're about to retire 2,3 maybe 4 more and they've got no kids coming in. Sure, they'll soon have money to throw around with plenty of top end talent at the end of their careers but no free agent in their right mind would see the Hawks as a destination club over the next 3-5 years.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am

Booney wrote:I think the biggest mistake is giving up this years first and second round picks, they're about to retire 2,3 maybe 4 more and they've got no kids coming in. Sure, they'll soon have money to throw around with plenty of top end talent at the end of their careers but no free agent in their right mind would see the Hawks as a destination club over the next 3-5 years.

I agree with this part 100%.

Was probably more replying to your comments about shredding culture.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL