The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby sib » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Power Reserves may have no injuries this week. Therefore Summerton should not be allowed to play. I bet SANFL allow power to say they have players needing a rest.
sib
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby PhilH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:41 pm

North Melbourne going it alone with team in VFL next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-24/roos-to-field-standalone-vfl-team-from-next-year

That tips the balance in the VFL to 6 AFL reserves teams, 4 alignments.

3 of those alignments have forced clubs to adopt identity of AFL team
Northern Blues (Carlton) from Preston Knights
Box Hill Hawks (Hawthorn) from Mustangs
Casey Demons (Melbourne) from Scoropions

Only St Kilda with Sandringham Zebras remains an alignment with a team of seperate identity.

Would leave Port Melbourne, Wiliamstown, North Ballarat (if they stay in) and now Werribee as stand alone VFL teams.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby saintal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:27 pm

PhilH wrote:North Melbourne going it alone with team in VFL next year.

Only St Kilda with Sandringham Zebras remains an alignment with a team of seperate identity.

I must admit to not knowing the ins and outs of the Sandy arrangement, but do believe that 3 games will be played at Moorabbin from next year and Sandy will wear the red, white and black in those games. So give it a few more years and the Sandy Saints could be a possibility, further diminishing the history of the Sandringham FC.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:32 pm

PhilH wrote:North Melbourne going it alone with team in VFL next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-24/roos-to-field-standalone-vfl-team-from-next-year

That tips the balance in the VFL to 6 AFL reserves teams, 4 alignments.

Would leave Port Melbourne, Wiliamstown, North Ballarat (if they stay in) and now Werribee as stand alone VFL teams.

Coburg also stand alone.
As mentioned above Sandy are playing games at Moorabbin and wearing Saints colours for 3 games next year
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:15 am

Hopefully this means an AFL reserves comp is getting closer with the VFL and SANFL reverting back to genuine 2nd tier comps.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3500 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:29 am

Dutchy wrote:Hopefully this means an AFL reserves comp is getting closer with the VFL and SANFL reverting back to genuine 2nd tier comps.

There'll be no stand alone VFL left to have a competition with the stand alone clubs on the bones of their arse and no longer being propped up by the AFL clubs.

Plus the AFL Melbourne based clubs don't want to spend money ($40 K a trip for a team of 22 plus support staff airfares, accommodation, food etc) flying interstate for their 2nd stringers when they'd rather spend that money on the AFL team - extra coaching resources technology, legal supplements. far simpler to have a Melbourne centric competition like they used to up until 1997 (save for the Bears and the Swans twos)

Also the AFL have shown their hand, they want to spend money on a women's competition before they spend money on a reserves competition.

An AFL Reserves competition ain't coming anytime soon.

Marion FC have more chance of winning an SFL premiership than an AFL reserves comp taking off.
Last edited by am Bays on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby UK Fan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:03 pm

stan wrote:@Uk fan I was saying the AFL pushing out the SANFL from the SMA. Basically the SANFL having no slice at all. I was referring to the AFL killing of the SANFL.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Couldnt kill it but have means to control it. Who elected the SMA reps ??

As if Olsen is going to agree to cut himself out of a job.? He is corrupt not stupid. Afl had to make it about him to sell it. Play to his ego and make him leader of SMA a smarter play for someone who is so easily manipulated.

SMA/SANFl/Olsen has pumped $9 million into the afl clubs. And I gotta feeling even though Rucci is saying the afl clubs couldn't justify asking for more. Have a guess what they'll get at the SMA review this year ???

Whilst sa football pays the bill to Adelaide City Council to shut down the city so people can attend an opposition leagues games of two clubs independent of sa football.

Freaking genius
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Pseudo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Gozu wrote:Perhaps I should've said third-rate comp. Think about it Channel 7 deal would disappear,

Yes, without channel 7's commitment to the SANFL there would be no free to air TV coverage of today's Grand Final replay.

Oh, hang on....
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1558 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby therisingblues » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:29 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Gozu wrote:Perhaps I should've said third-rate comp. Think about it Channel 7 deal would disappear,

Yes, without channel 7's commitment to the SANFL there would be no free to air TV coverage of today's Grand Final replay.

Oh, hang on....

Bloody oath!
Now they have their foot in the door, they are slowly reneging on all the promises they made to get in the comp in the first place.
We will be left with a comp with no coverage, no crowds, sponsorship for the AFL aligned clubs only, about the only thing that will remain is the annual fee, which will then get lifted because the comp would (by then) be such a low level, that they would be mad to want to send away these two sides that potentially draw 6,000+ each time either Eddie Betts, Rory Sloane or Tex Walker play a comeback game after injury.

On a side note, the ramifications that Gozu outlined in his last post were what the Crows threatened if we didn't allow them to join the league.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Gozu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:43 pm

therisingblues wrote:On a side note, the ramifications that Gozu outlined in his last post were what the Crows threatened if we didn't allow them to join the league.

What were they? I remember the Crows threatened to play in the Ammo's as laughable as that threat was. Again I'm not defending what has happened what's done is done unfortunately you can't unscramble an egg. Playing devil's advocate here the SANFL clubs signed off on this allowing it to happen and I suspect they knew the clubs/comp was in trouble and thought getting the AFL clubs more involved would either prolong the life of the comp or possibly even turn it around.

I know everyone here wants the SANFL to go it alone give those pricks at the AFL the big finger and all that but maybe the brass of the SANFL clubs knew something the fans don't about the health and potential viability of the comp?
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby Gozu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Pseudo wrote:

Oh, hang on....

Didn't the ABC give the SANFL the arse?
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:55 pm

Gozu wrote:
therisingblues wrote:On a side note, the ramifications that Gozu outlined in his last post were what the Crows threatened if we didn't allow them to join the league.

What were they? I remember the Crows threatened to play in the Ammo's as laughable as that threat was. Again I'm not defending what has happened what's done is done unfortunately you can't unscramble an egg. Playing devil's advocate here the SANFL clubs signed off on this allowing it to happen and I suspect they knew the clubs/comp was in trouble and thought getting the AFL clubs more involved would either prolong the life of the comp or possibly even turn it around.

I know everyone here wants the SANFL to go it alone give those pricks at the AFL the big finger and all that but maybe the brass of the SANFL clubs knew something the fans don't about the health and potential viability of the comp?

There was also this one....
and if the AFL ever start up a reserves comp they'll bail on the SANFL like no tomorrow and take all the contacts with them.
I remember one of the Crows boys in the paper threatening the bolded part. I forget the exact wording, but it was to the effect that they would take all their media and sponsorship clout with them to wherever it was they would land and then promote that comp, while basically using that same clout to shut down the SANFL. That was the gist of what they actually said in the media. I think what took place behind doors would have been more rotten. Remember, they had already held one vote that ended unfavourably for them, they upped the ante after that with a mix of carrot or stick.
For the record, I am not wanting to get rid of them purely to shwo them the finger, I just want them out because their presence is destroying what maeks the comp valuable. I don't think it is too late yet, but it soon will be. We need them out at the end of this year at the latest. I would even say that confirmation of them leaving at the end of this year would boost crowds.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:58 pm

Gozu wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Oh, hang on....

Yes, we had poor media coverage before. Now we have the cancers, and poor (and worsening) media coverage. Now what was one of those promises they made so that they could join the comp?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Gozu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:12 pm

therisingblues wrote:There was also this one....
and if the AFL ever start up a reserves comp they'll bail on the SANFL like no tomorrow and take all the contacts with them.
I remember one of the Crows boys in the paper threatening the bolded part. I forget the exact wording, but it was to the effect that they would take all their media and sponsorship clout with them to wherever it was they would land and then promote that comp, while basically using that same clout to shut down the SANFL. That was the gist of what they actually said in the media. I think what took place behind doors would have been more rotten. Remember, they had already held one vote that ended unfavourably for them, they upped the ante after that with a mix of carrot or stick.
For the record, I am not wanting to get rid of them purely to shwo them the finger, I just want them out because their presence is destroying what maeks the comp valuable. I don't think it is too late yet, but it soon will be. We need them out at the end of this year at the latest. I would even say that confirmation of them leaving at the end of this year would boost crowds.

I didn't know a threat had been made like that publicly, I would've suspected it would've been made behind closed doors but not publicly. I mean you go and grab The Advertiser/Sunday Mail and the whole sports section is chock full of bloody AFL. Meaningless games Freo vs whoever or two Vic teams playing each other why should we in SA give a fk about reading full page articles about games like that? I find it hard to believe an Ess vs Coll ANZAC game here in Adelaide would out rate a Sturt vs Eagles ANZAC game instead. There were SANFL games last year or the year before on 7mate even head to head against a 'neutral' AFL game on 7 and the SANFL game got more viewers.

Not many here care about 'neutral' AFL games but they get shoved down our throat regardless by Channel 7/News Ltd/Radio that is the power of the media. If those media outlets turned on the SANFL how could it possibly survive? I think it's pretty much too late already.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Gozu wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Oh, hang on....

Yes, we had poor media coverage before. Now we have the cancers, and poor (and worsening) media coverage. Now what was one of those promises they made so that they could join the comp?

Would you define a game a week on Channel 7 (sometimes two games) worse than a game a week on the ABC I certainly wouldn't? Much more exposure on a commercial channel and with the potential for sponsorship/advertising not available on the ABC. The radio situation is sad but as I understand it that has nothing to do with the TV deal. I'm not sure giving members access to an internet stream is anything other than damage control, if you really wanted to grow the league you would open it up to be purchased by non-members or even to be viewed for free but I could understand the league not going down the free route. Once you start giving away something for nothing it's difficult to then down the track to start asking people to pay for it.
Gozu
Coach

Postby tipper » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Gozu wrote:Would you define a game a week on Channel 7 (sometimes two games) worse than a game a week on the ABC I certainly wouldn't? Much more exposure on a commercial channel and with the potential for sponsorship/advertising not available on the ABC. The radio situation is sad but as I understand it that has nothing to do with the TV deal. I'm not sure giving members access to an internet stream is anything other than damage control, if you really wanted to grow the league you would open it up to be purchased by non-members or even to be viewed for free but I could understand the league not going down the free route. Once you start giving away something for nothing it's difficult to then down the track to start asking people to pay for it.

now be fair Gozu. when has 7 broadcast 2 games in a weekend?i must have missed that. i know that there have been some weekends with no broadcast (second week of a "split round" comes to mind), so you should include that in your opening statement too. also, 1 game a week usually pretty evenly spread between all of the clubs, vs (sometimes) 1 game a week on channel 7 for one of the lucky teams that are scheduled to play an afl reserves side...... why in christs name do the sanfl pay a million bucks a year to broadcast the afl reserves sides most weekends????? id prefer the abc coverage, but they werent interested so the point really is moot

also, i believe you can purchase the internet streams as a non member. its just significantly cheaper for members. something they have actually got right imo. finally gives members a tangible benefit
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby therisingblues » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:33 pm

The media coverage often favours the two AFL sides. Not just the telecast, but general SANFL news is often jsut how the AFL reserves did.
The main point is the cost of them being in the comp was the extra coverage. If that coverage is eroded, or blatantly favours the reserves then there's less point in them being in the league.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Gozu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:40 pm

tipper wrote:
now be fair Gozu. when has 7 broadcast 2 games in a weekend?i must have missed that.

I am being fair in the past 7 have sometimes maybe only 2 or 3 times a year shown two games in one weekend. I think it was under the guise of making up for the weekends where no games have been televised. Better than no games on TV at all which would be the alternative. You can argue whether it's worth a million a year I doubt it would be but if the ABC aren't interested what can you do.

also, i believe you can purchase the internet streams as a non member. its just significantly cheaper for members. something they have actually got right imo. finally gives members a tangible benefit

Okay I wasn't aware of that I thought you had to be a member of an SANFL club to purchase a stream. This is neither here nor there really but as a follower of the NBL basketball I love the fact this past season you could watch a stream of every game each round live for just $5 a month. Too cheap if anything but no doubt a 'taste-tester' and the price will probably go up in future.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:48 pm

therisingblues wrote:The media coverage often favours the two AFL sides. Not just the telecast, but general SANFL news is often jsut how the AFL reserves did.
The main point is the cost of them being in the comp was the extra coverage. If that coverage is eroded, or blatantly favours the reserves then there's less point in them being in the league.

No doubt and lets say the SANFL went it alone and the AFL started up a reserves comp you would never hear about the SANFL again as unfortunate as that is. Do the traditional SANFL clubs get more exposure now? I would argue yes even if it were so lopsided to show a Crows or Power game every weekend the team they're playing against gets that FTA exposure, opportunity for sponsors etc. There are people out there who refuse to watch anything other than the commercial TV networks unfortunately. Not probably any of us I almost always watched the weekly game on the ABC but there is just much more potential eyeballs on the commercial channels.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:48 pm

Gozu wrote:Would you define a game a week on Channel 7 (sometimes two games) worse than a game a week on the ABC I certainly wouldn't?

Yes, I would.

Any other broadcaster, commercial or otherwise, would have been better than seven. Being the holder of FTA broadcast rights for the AFL, seven has a vested interest in acting in the interests of that league. I suspect that the buggerisation of the SANFL schedule is done in part to suit channel seven's scheduling around its AFL broadcast. How much better it would have been to have the SANFL broadcast by someone independent of the AFL, promoting the league as an end in itself, not concerned with moulding the league to best fit with its other interests.

Just like we had with the ABC.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1558 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL