Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:34 pm

tigerfan11 wrote:Good chat about club coaches, but knowing 9/13 are looking for better options, 8 may have missed the boat on best available ... Sturt right in the hunt for best coach in the market... watch this space...

Harrity?! :lol:

Any clues?

David Scholz, Grant Wyman, Andrew Staunton, Carl Hooper...

Jason Gillespie? :shock:
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby backoftheroom » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:46 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
tigerfan11 wrote:Good chat about club coaches, but knowing 9/13 are looking for better options, 8 may have missed the boat on best available ... Sturt right in the hunt for best coach in the market... watch this space...

Any clues?

If my mail on the Sturt coach is correct then obviously they didn't close on the best coach and have now had to settle on a much lesser option.
backoftheroom

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Bluedemon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:07 pm

Sturt have appointed Ben Cameron
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:43 pm

backoftheroom wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

Any clues?

If my mail on the Sturt coach is correct then obviously they didn't close on the best coach and have now had to settle on a much lesser option.

Ben Cameron was helping Southerns in the second half of last season, mainly as batting coach. Thought he wanted the main job there as lives nearby. Suppose Sturt is reasonably close. Does know his stuff, think he will be good for Sturt. They desperately need some pace bowlers, no point making 400 runs if you can't bowl teams out. Have plenty of spin options, but that does not get early breakthroughs. Potential finalists next season I think.

Can tigerfan11 now tell us who their main target was??
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby backoftheroom » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:25 pm

He's one of those coaches who looks great on paper but in practice players dislike the method. If you polled the players he's coached I would conservatively estimate that 70% wouldn't enjoy playing under him. Interesting times ahead for the Blues.
backoftheroom

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 pm

backoftheroom wrote:He's one of those coaches who looks great on paper but in practice players dislike the method. If you polled the players he's coached I would conservatively estimate that 70% wouldn't enjoy playing under him. Interesting times ahead for the Blues.

That's good summary. He is very full on, loves using stats, and can be over the top. Hearing him talk to Southerns players they all switched off pretty quickly. Think you may be right, Sturt may have some interesting times ahead!

Surely Woodville looking for new coach, had limited success under McNally, and their team on paper looked handy. They are one of the wealthiest Clubs in comp, so would not be happy with where they sit, 9th in A Grade and bottom in every other grade nearly.

Not sure how many top coaches around though, and lots of Clubs looking for new coach also. West Torrens definitely struck the jackpot with Mark Harrity. He is well respected, had a simple game plan, clear team rules, understood this is not State cricket and people have jobs, even made Tuesday night non-compulsory. What happens? People enjoy coming to training, love being around the place, groups start doing extra training on Wednesday and Friday nights, and success follows. Lucky he signed on again for next season!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby The Hound » Mon May 01, 2017 12:07 pm

Be interesting to see how the Redbacks League pans out this season, as am hearing plenty of players in the mid to late 20's not interested in participating again.

Gives opportunity to the young fellas so seems a viable option to use it as an Under 19's comp, if the Under 19's side does not get voted into the A Grade!
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby backoftheroom » Mon May 01, 2017 7:45 pm

Not sure who brought it up, but is it possible they confused Jacob Dick moving to adelide with Jacob Dickman? Mail is that he's sign sealed and delivered to the Buffs.
backoftheroom

Postby heater31 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:54 pm

backoftheroom wrote:Not sure who brought it up, but is it possible they confused Jacob Dick moving to adelide with Jacob Dickman? Mail is that he's sign sealed and delivered to the Buffs.

Might be a bit of a dick measuring contest next season then, 3 Buffalos have set their sails for the 'northern' summer of Tracy Village including one of them as captain.

Guess who J.Dick and his brother play for in Darwin......also could get a bit awkward with a Sturt player up there also. Interesting times ahead then
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon May 01, 2017 8:05 pm

Nick Patterson one heater, who are the other two?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby heater31 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:37 pm

Brodlach wrote:Nick Patterson one heater, who are the other two?

yep and a couple of 2nd Graders down here in Pat Kitschke and Jacob Linsenmeier
heater31

Postby backoftheroom » Tue May 02, 2017 2:24 pm

Team #6 Adelaide

Finished 7th, 9th, 6th & 8th in senior cricket. Juniors finished 7th & 4th in the 16's and 2nd & 11th 14's.

Need
To find a coach and keep the current talent at the club long term. Out of all the clubs in the competition Adelaide would be inside the top 2 or 3 regarding to talent which is 'ready to go' at A Grade level (for the record I'm talking about Reardon, Pengelley x2, Patterson, Bullard, Valente, Cormack and even Reekie). Keeping all the players they have between 16-23 will be the difference between them being a power house in 5 years time or being in the same position they are currently, the most average performing club in the competition. That by no means is a slight on them, they were the most consistent team at finishing in the middle of the table last season, it's better than being many of the other teams I've already gone through in these write ups. A coach with a strong plan for developing the youth at the Buffs is an absolute must. If not the risk of losing players will be significant.

Have Spoken/Should Speak To
Jacob Dickman (Prospect) sounds as if he's locked into the Buffs. Nothing official from the club yet though, or the Pirates for that matter. This is an interesting one, obviously you don't turn down good cricketers, but you would hope they have done their due diligence in regard to his character and whether than can change it or manage it. The Jacob Dick (Sturt) rumours are still running around, but with the capture of Dickman I can't see Dick moving clubs, the two have a long history of a very vocal dislike for each other. The most important people to speak to for the Buffs though are already Buffs. Their young players will be offered opportunities at other clubs over the next few seasons, if they haven't already that is.

Key Next Season
Development. I wouldn't be discouraged by Adelaide finishing lower than 7th next season IF they play the kids. It's one of those unique situations where they have 1 or 2 more quality youngsters in each discipline than other clubs and easing them into 1st Grade won't be as straight forward. Personally I'd love to see them start them all for the first game of the season (if it's a one day game) and see how they go. One or two might get a score or start and give them the confidence that would take them 3 months to get in the B's. Develop the talent, nurture the talent, don't let the talent go. That's the key for Adelaide moving forward.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts here Heater. You obviously see this up close and know the players character more so than I will, are they as good as I think or am I off the mark on a couple?
backoftheroom

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:23 pm

backoftheroom wrote:Team #6 Adelaide

Finished 7th, 9th, 6th & 8th in senior cricket. Juniors finished 7th & 4th in the 16's and 2nd & 11th 14's.

Need
To find a coach and keep the current talent at the club long term. Out of all the clubs in the competition Adelaide would be inside the top 2 or 3 regarding to talent which is 'ready to go' at A Grade level (for the record I'm talking about Reardon, Pengelley x2, Patterson, Bullard, Valente, Cormack and even Reekie). Keeping all the players they have between 16-23 will be the difference between them being a power house in 5 years time or being in the same position they are currently, the most average performing club in the competition. That by no means is a slight on them, they were the most consistent team at finishing in the middle of the table last season, it's better than being many of the other teams I've already gone through in these write ups. A coach with a strong plan for developing the youth at the Buffs is an absolute must. If not the risk of losing players will be significant.

Jacob Dickman (Prospect) sounds as if he's locked into the Buffs. Nothing official from the club yet though, or the Pirates for that matter. This is an interesting one, obviously you don't turn down good cricketers, but you would hope they have done their due diligence in regard to his character and whether than can change it or manage it. The Jacob Dick (Sturt) rumours are still running around, but with the capture of Dickman I can't see Dick moving clubs, the two have a long history of a very vocal dislike for each other. The most important people to speak to for the Buffs though are already Buffs. Their young players will be offered opportunities at other clubs over the next few seasons, if they haven't already that is.

Key Next Season
Development. I wouldn't be discouraged by Adelaide finishing lower than 7th next season IF they play the kids. It's one of those unique situations where they have 1 or 2 more quality youngsters in each discipline than other clubs and easing them into 1st Grade won't be as straight forward. Personally I'd love to see them start them all for the first game of the season (if it's a one day game) and see how they go. One or two might get a score or start and give them the confidence that would take them 3 months to get in the B's. Develop the talent, nurture the talent, don't let the talent go. That's the key for Adelaide moving forward.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts here Heater. You obviously see this up close and know the players character more so than I will, are they as good as I think or am I off the mark on a couple?

Another excellent write up, and spot on the mark.

Our coach (Hags) was most worried about playing Adelaide this year. With Neate and Valente, and the improvement in Patterson, had three good quicks, chuck in Cormack as their spinner. Next year will have Raphael full time, as doubt he will get another contract with Redbacks. Overall a fairly strong all round team. Think that list of young players coming thru have all had taste of A Grade cricket, and all have talent to be good players in the future.

See them very similar to where West Torrens were last year when we came bottom (don't think they will though!), but we got a year of games into kids that they may normally not have got, and this year they benefited from that. The whole team was under 25 except Trent Kelly, and Adelaide just about be the same with Raf there. The coach appointment is massive - did hear Raphael as playing coach was an option.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Aeropti » Tue May 02, 2017 4:32 pm

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Adelaide in the 4 as a smokey next year if they have Raphael and Valente for decent portions of the year, and Neate stays fit.
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:18 pm

The AFL would love to know what SACA are doing right with the 1st Grade comp - the last eight seasons have resulted in 8 different teams winning the Premiership - not bad!

So of the other five teams, are Adelaide the most likely to win in 2017/2018??

Northerns last won in 2004/2005, but they appear to be a rabble.
Adelaide last won in 2003/2004, could be good chance this year.
Prospect last won in 2000/2001, looking like mass exodus if rumors of Dickman, Miller, etc leaving, so no chance.
Adelaide Uni last won in 1997/98, again may depend on who is left, Delmont, Agar, etc gone, but have money to recruit, so you never know.
East Torrens have the biggest drought going since 1990/91, you would never know that the way their players carry on like their shti doesn't stink, always have great starts to years and good team on paper, but massive under achievers, so again unlikely.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue May 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Wow, that's pretty impressive that every club bar one has won a flag in the last 20 years

Enjoying the write ups. Agree that Adelaide will be strong next season. Good balance, some good talent coming through.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:00 pm

backoftheroom wrote:Team #6 Adelaide

Need

Key Next Season

Not far off it in that assessment the key will be to balance development and performance. Nothing official from the club regarding the head coaching position but I keep hearing there could be changes in the assistant positions.

Matthew Fisher could be back for most of the season if Yorkshire want that... currently in the County's white ball team

If Dickman comes with off field baggage then I'm not sure the club want to go through all that again given the recent past of managing similar players. If that can be contained then I see no issue.
heater31

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue May 02, 2017 9:58 pm

If they were happy to takes Nobesy back... :D
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:01 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:If they were happy to takes Nobesy back... :D

And maybe Jamie Barnes back next year too, good luck!!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby heater31 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:52 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:If they were happy to takes Nobesy back... :D

Surprisingly Nobes a lot more mature during his second stint. Makes the odd statement that makes sense ;)
heater31

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps