The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Pseudo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am

Gozu wrote:No doubt and lets say the SANFL went it alone and the AFL started up a reserves comp you would never hear about the SANFL again as unfortunate as that is.

Cobblers. The media will give a level of coverage which is commensurate with their estimate of the level of interest in the SANFL. Those hardy folk who remain fans of SANFL teams would remain so if the garbage teams left; Smears and Clowns fans largely do not give a shit about the SANFL in the first place. The media's coverage of the league would thus remain at the same level: A page of short match reports and a token photograph buried in the back half of the sports section of the paper, and a ten-second readout of the match results on the telly each night. They couldn't realistically do anything less.

I suggest that the local media's coverage of a hypothetical AFL reserves league would be on par with the coverage of the garbage teams in the SANFL: a weekly summary of standout players in the Smears and Clowns games only - with an occasional mention of a big-name player in another team making a rare appearance in the reserves.

Do the traditional SANFL clubs get more exposure now?

Less. One need look no further than the coverage of today's game - a Grand Final replay no less - to verify this. A small token preview in today's paper, no real-time FTA radio or TV coverage, and the official SANFL website and SANFL app both prone to locking up. I myself was forced to resort to This August Website for any scores from the game. (and on that note, my account is still FUBAR, admins. How about activating the other account I registered a few weeks back?)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:50 am

Now is the perfect time to push both teams out the comp. With the womens comp getting off the ground the AFL are not going to want to put money into a reserves comp. The VFL will not accept the Crows or Port as the AFL clubs have the balance of power and they wont want to spend the cash on sending a reserves side to Adelaide a couple times a year. It will send the AFL clubs here back to the old set up, not ideal but still better than the current set up. Or better yet they can go to the amateurs
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:33 am

daysofourlives wrote:Now is the perfect time to push both teams out the comp. With the womens comp getting off the ground the AFL are not going to want to put money into a reserves comp. The VFL will not accept the Crows or Port as the AFL clubs have the balance of power and they wont want to spend the cash on sending a reserves side to Adelaide a couple times a year. It will send the AFL clubs here back to the old set up, not ideal but still better than the current set up. Or better yet they can go to the amateurs

Yep, talk in VFL circles that once all 10 Vic clubs have reserves sides non aligned they will create a 10 team AFLV comp and the stand alone clubs can play in the VAFA or a new ammo league will be started.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby UK Fan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Gozu wrote:Would you define a game a week on Channel 7 (sometimes two games) worse than a game a week on the ABC I certainly wouldn't?

Yes, I would.

Any other broadcaster, commercial or otherwise, would have been better than seven. Being the holder of FTA broadcast rights for the AFL, seven has a vested interest in acting in the interests of that league. I suspect that the buggerisation of the SANFL schedule is done in part to suit channel seven's scheduling around its AFL broadcast. How much better it would have been to have the SANFL broadcast by someone independent of the AFL, promoting the league as an end in itself, not concerned with moulding the league to best fit with its other interests.

Just like we had with the ABC.

So would rural SANFL fans who don't get access via 7 mate but did via ABC.

Plus SANFL was televised live into NT via ABC.

So our potential marketing audience has diminished.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby sib » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:29 pm

So with Port having 20 AFl players and Summerton playing this week and with more to come in next week if no injuries. Does this mean Summerton doesnt play. My understanding is that the AFL players play first. Therefore if all of Port players are fit Summerton will miss.
sib
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:22 am

sib wrote:So with Port having 20 AFl players and Summerton playing this week and with more to come in next week if no injuries. Does this mean Summerton doesnt play. My understanding is that the AFL players play first. Therefore if all of Port players are fit Summerton will miss.

This is has been a big topic of conversation for the Magpies boys this week, they're also not 100% sure on how it will work. With the Power having no injuries last night and having two travelling emergencies (Aidyn Johnson and Jesse Palmer) it would suggest that those two emergencies will play in the Power reserves next week. The Power play Saturday and the reserves Sunday at home so that would mean those emergencies will play reserves.

But no doubt there will be some kind of 'injury' or someone will be 'rested' that allows Summo to keep his spot.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Magellan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:10 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
sib wrote:So with Port having 20 AFl players and Summerton playing this week and with more to come in next week if no injuries. Does this mean Summerton doesnt play. My understanding is that the AFL players play first. Therefore if all of Port players are fit Summerton will miss.

This is has been a big topic of conversation for the Magpies boys this week, they're also not 100% sure on how it will work. With the Power having no injuries last night and having two travelling emergencies (Aidyn Johnson and Jesse Palmer) it would suggest that those two emergencies will play in the Power reserves next week. The Power play Saturday and the reserves Sunday at home so that would mean those emergencies will play reserves.

But no doubt there will be some kind of 'injury' or someone will be 'rested' that allows Summo to keep his spot.

There's no way Ken Hinkley would be happy with or endorse that arrangement.

And a fit Summerton wouldn't be happy to miss a game for someone less capable, as well as being captain and pound for pound the best performing player in the side.

Depending on the fine print of Summerton's contract (which I would've thought might've countenanced this kind of possibility), I'd think the Power's wishes would have to win out, no? Interesting times at Alberton.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby PhilH » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:25 am

If Summerton plays next week it will be his 200th SANFL league game.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby StrayDog » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:13 pm

Magellan wrote:...

Depending on the fine print of Summerton's contract (which I would've thought might've countenanced this kind of possibility), I'd think the Power's wishes would have to win out, no? Interesting times at Alberton.

You'd think so.

"One Club", "Never Tear Us Apart" and all that.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby sib » Sat May 06, 2017 10:04 am

So Summerton gets to play his 200th. Nice general soreness to Ladhams. More reason to there being no Port and Crows in SANFL. Create a bloody AFl reserves comp and leave the SANFL alone
sib
Rookie

Postby goddy11 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:31 am

Been mentioned by someone on another forum that Summerton will probably be the last Magpie player to get to 200 games. Under the current set-up 50 games maximum may be hard to achieve. It is sad in a way a once great SANFL club has been changed to a practice team status. The 1870 image the PAP has tried to transfer to its AFL side has really no basis. I wonder what die hard Magpie supporters think.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby sib » Sat May 06, 2017 10:53 am

goddy11 wrote:Been mentioned by someone on another forum that Summerton will probably be the last Magpie player to get to 200 games. Under the current set-up 50 games maximum may be hard to achieve. It is sad in a way a once great SANFL club has been changed to a practice team status. The 1870 image the PAP has tried to transfer to its AFL side has really no basis. I wonder what die hard Magpie supporters think.

Its not sad at all. The PAFC decided that they wanted to play in the highest comp. When that happend they should have left SANFL all together. Die hard magpie fans should be proud that their club seeked higher honours.
sib
Rookie

Postby therisingblues » Sat May 06, 2017 3:50 pm

sib wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Been mentioned by someone on another forum that Summerton will probably be the last Magpie player to get to 200 games. Under the current set-up 50 games maximum may be hard to achieve. It is sad in a way a once great SANFL club has been changed to a practice team status. The 1870 image the PAP has tried to transfer to its AFL side has really no basis. I wonder what die hard Magpie supporters think.

Its not sad at all. The PAFC decided that they wanted to play in the highest comp. When that happend they should have left SANFL all together. Die hard magpie fans should be proud that their club seeked higher honours.

Yes it is sad. Port are just as much part of the fabric of SANFL as the two separate entities of Woodville and Torrens once were. Because the decision makers of their club brought this to themselves does not make it anymore sad IMO. There are plenty of Magpie folk who do not attend anymore because they do not want to see these AFL body snatchers dancing around in the skin of the club that they have loved all their lives, and they really had no way to avoid the situation. A SANFL club can no more stand up to an AFL franchise than a tomato defeat a steam roller. Halbert proposed Sturt become the Crows reserves at one stage, now THAT would have been devastating from my perspective, which is sad multiplied by about 3,000. Fortunately I was in the majority on that occasion, probably because Sturt's identity is different enough from the Crow's that enough people realised it just didn't make any sense. I pity the poor Port folk who did not wish this, and pity the SANFL football landscape that has such an ugly welt running through it.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby goddy11 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Some of the Magpie reserves players are too good to be playing reserves grade. What is keeping them at the club. Surely their not playing at reserves payments. I thought that this was meant to be a development team. Why is development team even playing.

Seconds score
Port Adelaide Magpies 16.14 (110)
Sturt 5.9 (39)
Last edited by goddy11 on Mon May 08, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Big Phil » Sun May 07, 2017 9:07 pm

goddy11 wrote:Some of the Magpie reserves players are too good to be playing reserves grade.

Talking to a Sturt official pre-game today, he agreed that up to five of Port's 'Academy' players were as good or better than the bottom five league players for the Double Blues from their 21 today.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun May 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby zipzap » Mon May 08, 2017 8:29 am

Dutchy wrote:Image

Massive respect....for about oooohh 5 minutes
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Magellan » Mon May 08, 2017 9:38 am

So that's what $400 a match is worth in words.

Seems like Russell Ebert's also done a 180 degree turn - isn't he featured in the latest Port Power ads that include some Magpie footage of him (post 1977 GF, IIRC)?

Funny he had a go at Keith Thomas, suggesting only Port people should decide what's best for Port. On that basis Bob McLean, tainted with red and blue, would never have been let in play at Alberton let alone run the footy department for decades, and Fos Williams would've been left to coach a stack of flags at somewhere else like Westies.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Ronnie » Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 am

Yes I think Russell is on board with the set up now.

The mindset has changed with a few people. KT did his best work I believe.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon May 08, 2017 10:09 am

goddy11 wrote:Some of the Magpie reserves players are too good to be playing reserves grade. What is keeping them at the club. Surely their not playing at reserves payments. I thought that this was meant to be a development team. Why is development team even playing.

Seconds score
Port Adelaide Magpies 16.14 (110)
Sturt 5.9 (39)

You will find those guys are pretty close with each other, played alot of footy together through the Port ranks and have become good mates. Yeah they might only being playing 2's but they play for the jumper and their mates. They are the last of the Magpies and they know eventually they will have to move on, either go to another SANFL club, go back to their local club or chase coin in the country. My brother gets asked all the time what he's going to do once he leaves Port and he has no idea, he's not one to look too far ahead. Just happy playing footy with his mates while it lasts.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL