Spencer Gulf League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Spencer Gulf League

Postby The Angry Bull » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:48 pm

PuttingBStorest wrote:
GOT wrote:Have to agree with you there PBS. Years ago you used to see old representative guernseys doing the rounds at training couldn't think of a better way for a young kid coming through the ranks to aspire to get their own as the would get to see their clubs leaders/idols wearing them.
players have even offered to buy them for top dollar the last couple of years but it was shut down by the SGL.
the final training would have been last night any news on the team selected?

Yep - I can remember doing the same thing when I was just breaking in to the A Grade sides - always aspired to get me one of those association tops that the guys wore to trainings. Having guys actually want to pay for the tops they wear just confirms my thoughts - I reckon they could probably get out of it for about $2,000/team which in the overall context probably isn't a lot (where do the gate takings end up for such games? - maybe this could cover that cost - dunno).

Im not from up your way so unfortunately don't know anything about your associations selections - but good luck to all who make their respective teams - its an honour to be selected and a feather in the cap of all that do.

The gate takings are dependent on where the game is played. I am aware that the SGL will not play any inter league games in Port Augusta as the council assumes the gate takings, at least in Pirie they can make a $$

The squad that was originally picked was based on form in the opening rounds, which I think is fair, and I know that a number of our own key players who have had a less than average start to the season (Muirhead and Fuller) were quite rightfully not picked in the initial squad. For this reason I think Reddo has done all he can in picking the best available squad on form. As for the other PA sides, Souths seemed well represented with all their inform players being selected and turning up... it will be interesting to see if Nick Collins has recovered from his "injury" to play for westies this week
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby PuttingBStorest » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:34 pm

The Angry Bull wrote:
PuttingBStorest wrote:
GOT wrote:Have to agree with you there PBS. Years ago you used to see old representative guernseys doing the rounds at training couldn't think of a better way for a young kid coming through the ranks to aspire to get their own as the would get to see their clubs leaders/idols wearing them.
players have even offered to buy them for top dollar the last couple of years but it was shut down by the SGL.

Yep - I can remember doing the same thing when I was just breaking in to the A Grade sides - always aspired to get me one of those association tops that the guys wore to trainings. Having guys actually want to pay for the tops they wear just confirms my thoughts - I reckon they could probably get out of it for about $2,000/team which in the overall context probably isn't a lot (where do the gate takings end up for such games? - maybe this could cover that cost - dunno).

Im not from up your way so unfortunately don't know anything about your associations selections - but good luck to all who make their respective teams - its an honour to be selected and a feather in the cap of all that do.

The gate takings are dependent on where the game is played. I am aware that the SGL will not play any inter league games in Port Augusta as the council assumes the gate takings, at least in Pirie they can make a $$

The squad that was originally picked was based on form in the opening rounds, which I think is fair, and I know that a number of our own key players who have had a less than average start to the season (Muirhead and Fuller) were quite rightfully not picked in the initial squad. For this reason I think Reddo has done all he can in picking the best available squad on form. As for the other PA sides, Souths seemed well represented with all their inform players being selected and turning up... it will be interesting to see if Nick Collins has recovered from his "injury" to play for westies this week

Ok - wasn't sure where the gate takings went and I appreciate it isn't cheap to run a football league so the money may already be earmarked so maybe it needs to be looked at from a higher level. I understand that a percentage of the recent TV deal done by the AFL was to see funds flow back to the "grass roots" level so maybe an option is for the CFL to contribute towards the cost of guernseys etc I reckon most (if not all) leagues would participate in some sort of Association game each year.

One more thing which might spark a bit more interest is that the Association teams play different associations each year (on a Like League for Like league basis - eg Say GSFL play against Spencer Gulf or Mt Gambier or Riverland and so on) - I reckon at the moment there is a lot of 'same old same old' where the same two association teams have ben playing against one another for the last 5 or so years (appreciate not in all cases - eg Mortlock Shield in Pt Lincoln or Landmark Cup in the Mid North and others) so maybe that could be looked at to freshen things up a bit. Yes - there are travel costs which aren't cheap but I still believe thats all part of the experience and if association football is to survive then there has to be the incentive to want to play.

Having said all of that I do appreciate that footballers priorities now may be different from that in the past but I still think the best in each league like to "test" themselves against the best in other leagues and there is a place for Association teams in the fixture each year.
PuttingBStorest
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby The Angry Bull » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:24 am

PuttingBStorest wrote:
The Angry Bull wrote:
PuttingBStorest wrote:

Ok - wasn't sure where the gate takings went and I appreciate it isn't cheap to run a football league so the money may already be earmarked so maybe it needs to be looked at from a higher level. I understand that a percentage of the recent TV deal done by the AFL was to see funds flow back to the "grass roots" level so maybe an option is for the CFL to contribute towards the cost of guernseys etc I reckon most (if not all) leagues would participate in some sort of Association game each year.

One more thing which might spark a bit more interest is that the Association teams play different associations each year (on a Like League for Like league basis - eg Say GSFL play against Spencer Gulf or Mt Gambier or Riverland and so on) - I reckon at the moment there is a lot of 'same old same old' where the same two association teams have ben playing against one another for the last 5 or so years (appreciate not in all cases - eg Mortlock Shield in Pt Lincoln or Landmark Cup in the Mid North and others) so maybe that could be looked at to freshen things up a bit. Yes - there are travel costs which aren't cheap but I still believe thats all part of the experience and if association football is to survive then there has to be the incentive to want to play.

Having said all of that I do appreciate that footballers priorities now may be different from that in the past but I still think the best in each league like to "test" themselves against the best in other leagues and there is a place for Association teams in the fixture each year.

An interesting twist on that would be that if the league's best are money grabbing sell swords, than wouldn't showcasing your talents in front of a new crowd lead to additional offers next season?

Coming from the NEFL where the Landmark Cup has breathed some life into inter-league, I think that there should be similar competitions around the state.

If we are talking hypothetical scenarios, and this is something that has been discussed with many beers around this time of year, then why dont we follow a similar lead to the Country Living Homes T20? split the state into respective zones, first long weekend, you play your inter-league games against the other leagues in your zone in a carnival (mortlock/Landmark cup). then the winners of the 4 or 8 respective zones whoever they maybe then proceed to a finals day/weekend however that may be determined and you ultimately end up with a champion country league. That way it gives you that little something extra to play for. Associations cover the costs of their own teams- coaches, players, attire, trainers etc, with some assistance from the CFB and the CFB can cover travel costs
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby GOT » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:13 am

The Angry Bull wrote:
PuttingBStorest wrote:

Just out of curiosity what do they need money for? obviously paying umpires each week is one, but other then that? I'm not sure how it all works or what their agreements are. Do they pay towards the upkeep of ovals or facilities at the grounds?
and agree based on form is certainly fair enough.

I think they need to look at the carnival type set up to pick the northern zone team from. Currently the NAFA play in a carnival with the landmark cup (basically old central zone) now that they are rezoned to the northern cities side surely it makes more sense for a Whyalla, NAFA, SGL, Broken Hill/Roxby (combined) carnival.
if you want to be selected in the Country Champs you put your name in the hat for this. Have witnessed the country champs as a spectator for several years and it is a legit carnival with quality running around in every squad. Its about time the northern cities showed the talent they have available especially some of the names running around in these comps now days.
Inglis, Snook, Coombe x 2, Slattery, Hill, Horner, O'donaghue, Button, Keller, Newell, Dunkley, Muirhead majority of these guys have all played SANFL footy at some stage without even mentioning the likes of Warren x 3, Stuart, Collins
GOT
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby The Angry Bull » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:27 pm

GOT wrote:
The Angry Bull wrote:
PuttingBStorest wrote:

Just out of curiosity what do they need money for? obviously paying umpires each week is one, but other then that? I'm not sure how it all works or what their agreements are. Do they pay towards the upkeep of ovals or facilities at the grounds?
and agree based on form is certainly fair enough.

I think they need to look at the carnival type set up to pick the northern zone team from. Currently the NAFA play in a carnival with the landmark cup (basically old central zone) now that they are rezoned to the northern cities side surely it makes more sense for a Whyalla, NAFA, SGL, Broken Hill/Roxby (combined) carnival.
if you want to be selected in the Country Champs you put your name in the hat for this. Have witnessed the country champs as a spectator for several years and it is a legit carnival with quality running around in every squad. Its about time the northern cities showed the talent they have available especially some of the names running around in these comps now days.
Inglis, Snook, Coombe x 2, Slattery, Hill, Horner, O'donaghue, Button, Keller, Newell, Dunkley, Muirhead majority of these guys have all played SANFL footy at some stage without even mentioning the likes of Warren x 3, Stuart, Collins

I believe the ovals are the responsibility of the councils and the league essentially hires them.

Not specifically sure what happens with the takings from Pirie however one would assume that they would be applied to the costs of hiring and the rest goes back into the coffers.

All gate takings, for any event in Port Augusta at Central Oval, is assumed by the council... they ran out of money trying to build the new facility and therefore trying to recover costs to finish the job. Netball is also played at Central Oval now which guarantees a greater turnover.

I think a carnival representing each zone would be ideal, however i do see an issue in some zones with a greater number of leagues than the Northern Cities and Central zone ie: South East & possibly Southern and EP in saying that, the zone champs is run quite successfully with the 6 sides
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby Booney » Mon May 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Who are the teams to beat up there in the SGL?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby The Angry Bull » Tue May 09, 2017 9:50 am

Booney wrote:Who are the teams to beat up there in the SGL?

Westies have started extremely well. Fit and strong side and should finish around the top and go deep into finals.

Ports and Sollies have recruited well, big lads too i hear, which should suit the smaller ground at Ports Oval this year with Memorial going through its redevelopment

Souths will do well to defend their flag.

Lions have a few big outs and results havent been great so far.

Centrals with a lot of work to do unfortunately. New coach, no real recruits. few in's but role/depth players.

Should be a tight one between 1 and 5 this year
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby Booney » Tue May 09, 2017 10:42 am

The Angry Bull wrote:

Westies have started extremely well. Fit and strong side and should finish around the top and go deep into finals.

Ports and Sollies have recruited well, big lads too i hear, which should suit the smaller ground at Ports Oval this year with Memorial going through its redevelopment

Centrals with a lot of work to do unfortunately. New coach, no real recruits. few in's but role/depth players.

Who are you associated with mate?

A mate of mine is coaching Ports, I'm hoping he goes well.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby The Angry Bull » Tue May 09, 2017 11:28 am

I've been involved with Centrals since moving up this way around 4 years ago. Ports should do well this year mate, seems as though they've replaced their outs with strong bodies which is something that they appeared to have lacked the past few years.
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby GOT » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:12 am

The Angry Bull wrote:

interesting season has come to an end. Not really the even comp we seen a couple of years ago.
Sollies dominated the minor round only losing once.
Was a fair gap from the top 2 to the rest. Good GF unfortunately didn't get the shootout most were probably expecting due to the howler of a day.
future outlook will be interesting especially with some ? on the way the competition is run.
does sunday football stay as more ovals maybe used?
pirie re-development to be ready in time for next season?
is it the SGL or is the PPFL and PAFL hiding behind the emblem? seems to be a disconnect between the two cities.

thoughts on the teams

South - back to back premiers for the first time since 93/94....always the qstn on the premiers will they keep the squad together?...would have to think if they do should be around the mark again... coach go around again?, player retention, retirements?
Sollies - best side in the minor round by 10 goals most weeks. Relativity young squad should find themselves back fighting it out next yr. Dont need much in the way of players, have most bases covered, experience will do them the world of good.
Lions - never really got going, depth will be the massive issue they need to look at. Bgrade were strong for many yrs, dropped off significantly. recruiting will be big watch over the off season.
West - started like a house on fire, then so-so the rest of the way. on paper best 21 can do all sorts of damage. player retention and the coach position to watch.
Centrals - went down the youth path and never deviated from that. Will be a powerhouse in a couple of years if the kids stay around. have strongest junior system in the competition currently. Top end talent on the older side will they be able to hold on to see the results. Few key inclusions + natural development of kids should see them fighting out the top 4.
Ports - proud club would have to be disappointing to see where they have been for a couple of years now. Recruited heavily but failed to fire a shot. play a lot of juniors throughout the year which can only help development and depth. Will need more big inclusions if they are to make the jump up.
GOT
Mini-League

Postby The Big Shrek » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:24 pm

Congratulations to Vinny Urbancic on back to back premierships. He is the Stevie J of the SGL.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby The Angry Bull » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 am

The Big Shrek wrote:Congratulations to Vinny Urbancic on back to back premierships. He is the Stevie J of the SGL.

the biggest pest, literal and figurative!
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:28 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:Congratulations to Vinny Urbancic on back to back premierships. He is the Stevie J of the SGL.

Back to back to back

Undefeated this season, I think their smallest winning margin was 40 points.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Mighty Magpies » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:36 pm

With the Colson boys, Allen and Everett leaving does anyone give Centrals a chance of making the 4?
Mighty Magpies
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby The Angry Bull » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Mighty Magpies wrote:With the Colson boys, Allen and Everett leaving does anyone give Centrals a chance of making the 4?

It will be a tough ask, unless circumstances have changed significantly with the Pirie sides, id expect Centrals and Wests to be battling for the spoon again.

South, still with plenty of quality, may fall back into the pack with a few key outs. Aziel Stuart trying his luck in Adelaide with Sturt, Tommy Hamilton moving back to Adelaide also and Lionel Brown having a tax payer funded sabbatical in PT Augusta Prison as we type
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby Armchair expert » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:24 pm

South Augusta win again

boring
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:50 am

True their holding their GF on the same day as the AFL GF.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Angry Bull » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:37 pm

whufc wrote:True their holding their GF on the same day as the AFL GF.

That is correct. 2:40 first bounce so will be all done and dusted before the AFL starts. Will be a long day on the cans for the fans
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:46 pm

South Augusta will win again anyway, sollies fans should not bother going
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:09 pm

Armchair expert wrote:South Augusta will win again anyway, sollies fans should not bother going

Sorry South

Cats v Lions in the gf next week

in an all Pirie gf for the first time in a long time
Armchair expert
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy