Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby The Hound » Tue May 09, 2017 10:04 am

First X1 through to Under 14 Whites all starting round 1 on 14 September, if it gets approved by GCC :lol:
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 am

September?

On hard wicket :)
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 09, 2017 10:41 am

The Hound wrote:First X1 through to Under 14 Whites all starting round 1 on 14 September, if it gets approved by GCC :lol:

That's stupid.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby heater31 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:55 am

The Hound wrote:First X1 through to Under 14 Whites all starting round 1 on 14 September, if it gets approved by GCC [emoji38]

Are we playing the first couple of rounds in Darwin with SACA picking up the tab ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby The Hound » Tue May 09, 2017 12:09 pm

The Hound wrote:First X1 through to Under 14 Whites all starting round 1 on 14 September, if it gets approved by GCC :lol:

Sorry fellas, should be 14 October for Premier League, me bad :oops:

Redbacks League = mid September start date.
The Hound
Reserves

Postby Happycamper » Tue May 09, 2017 3:37 pm

I would be interested in your thoughts Port Pirie Power. I have heard that the Joe Gatting appointment has been well received with the Northerns playing group, and may help to retain Coop.
The players seem to understand what the problem is there - thoughts?
Happycamper
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Port Pirie Power » Tue May 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Happycamper wrote:I would be interested in your thoughts Port Pirie Power. I have heard that the Joe Gatting appointment has been well received with the Northerns playing group, and may help to retain Coop.

I think the Joe Gatting appointment is a positive addition as he as a player will help the club out significantly, I'm not convinced his coaching will sort the club get on the right track. I know that he and Cooper are very close, and are pretty good mates with each other, so I'm sure that is going to be a factor that would come into Cooper's consideration.

I have heard that Cooper has had face to face meetings with at least 3 other clubs, both grade and turf cricket.

It's interesting because my take on the Northerns situation is that the committee is a big problem their, they are a group of independents who are almost forces together to make a committee. I also know and have heard that their is a toxic group of players and in my opinion "has beens" that are holding positions up from the youth and are making certain individuals uncomfortable.

I'm sure it will be an interesting month for Northerns as they could have another disastrous season next year like last, or turn it upside down and this next month or 2 will be crucial in how their season will go in my opinion.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby the star » Tue May 09, 2017 11:38 pm

I think you will find Chris Duval will still be heavily involved throughout pre season coaching along with Matt Wright who is a teacher by trade and is involved with junior SACA squads and has a real passion for Cricket and the Jets - both are quality people too!

Gatting you would imagine would arrive about a month prior to the season and would have 8-10 session with the squad face to face prior to round one.

Cosgrove to return and I'm hearing another big name will be involved at the Jets this season in some capacity.

As far as committee goes I'm led to believe they have a few new faces on board with some strong business and sporting links.

I think a fair bit of what has been said on here points to its all over for the club. Clubs go through rough patches and a pretty bad picture can be painted by outsiders who speculate.

All clubs lose players year in year out for various reasons, In my opinion the calibre of players running around at Lindblom Park in the ATCA left due to the commitment required of grade cricketers and the appointment of a coach that didn't work for them (plus incentives that were on offer). These players would obviously add huge depth around the Jets but they are gone and all enjoying a much more relaxed cricket environment. The Jets were facing a 'rebuild' replacement of players quicker then probably they would have liked.

The country zone has always been a tough one in particular for juniors. Ill hold on commenting to much here as I'm not sure what has taken place the last few seasons in terms of effort from the Jets, but i do know it is a lot easier to play cricket in the Barossa and start at lunchtime then drive to any away grade venue and be on the road early. Yes i know there are people that do this for other clubs on a weekly basis so i am a little unsure why the Barossa guys tend to head back to Barossa from 18 onwards. Id assume mates, convenience and the turf pitches available in the Barossa.

Anyway the short of it all is the Jets need to keep 99% of their players and also find a couple others for the top end of the squad and hopefully they can build some depth over next 2-3 years.

Port Pirie Power wrote:
Happycamper wrote:I would be interested in your thoughts Port Pirie Power. I have heard that the Joe Gatting appointment has been well received with the Northerns playing group, and may help to retain Coop.

I think the Joe Gatting appointment is a positive addition as he as a player will help the club out significantly, I'm not convinced his coaching will sort the club get on the right track. I know that he and Cooper are very close, and are pretty good mates with each other, so I'm sure that is going to be a factor that would come into Cooper's consideration.

I have heard that Cooper has had face to face meetings with at least 3 other clubs, both grade and turf cricket.

It's interesting because my take on the Northerns situation is that the committee is a big problem their, they are a group of independents who are almost forces together to make a committee. I also know and have heard that their is a toxic group of players and in my opinion "has beens" that are holding positions up from the youth and are making certain individuals uncomfortable.

I'm sure it will be an interesting month for Northerns as they could have another disastrous season next year like last, or turn it upside down and this next month or 2 will be crucial in how their season will go in my opinion.
Last edited by the star on Wed May 10, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the star
Under 16s

Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Tasman

Postby Eagles2017 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:00 am

the star wrote:
The country zone has always been a tough one in particular for juniors. Ill hold on commenting to much here as I'm not sure what has taken place the last few seasons in terms of effort from the Jets, but i do know it is a lot easier to play cricket in the Barossa and start at lunchtime then drive to any away grade venue and be on the road early. Yes i know there are people that do this for other clubs on a weekly basis so i am a little unsure why the Barossa guys tend to head back to Barossa from 18 onwards. Id assume mates, convenience and the turf pitches available in the Barossa.

Hey guys new to this forum enjoy the depth insights you all seem to have!
Interesting point from the star ie the country zones, i would agree Northerns have traditionally lost their talent country players back to the country. What teams (if any) have the best track record with their country zone. I can think of a few young lads west torrens have had come out of the YP but apart from that i cant think of many clubs with more than 1 maybe 2 in the senior ranks?

FYI eagles in my name = WWTFC not West Torrens, hopefully my boys can follow in West torrens footsteps to the flag this year!
Eagles2017
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby The Hound » Wed May 10, 2017 12:10 pm

H31 - any truth that the buffs have already been active in the junior playing market?, will the opposition clubs clear there players who are under 16?
The Hound
Reserves

Postby heater31 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:33 pm

The Hound wrote:H31 - any truth that the buffs have already been active in the junior playing market?, will the opposition clubs clear there players who are under 16?

With no Junior coach at this point I'd be surprised....Given other clubs do similar things maybe it's time to fight fire with fire?
heater31

Postby Aeropti » Wed May 10, 2017 1:17 pm

The Hound wrote:H31 - any truth that the buffs have already been active in the junior playing market?, will the opposition clubs clear there players who are under 16?

The ones i've heard are not ACC driven, but player driven. Who knows if they will be cleared.
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby heater31 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:28 pm

Aeropti wrote:

The ones i've heard are not ACC driven, but player driven. Who knows if they will be cleared.

Hmm the last one that was player driven went all the way to the top....it was then used against the club in a bit of country poaching as a 'precedent' :roll:
heater31

Postby The Hound » Wed May 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Aeropti wrote:

They wouldn't happen to attend AHS would they ;)
The Hound
Reserves

Postby Aeropti » Wed May 10, 2017 3:18 pm

The Hound wrote:
Aeropti wrote:

They wouldn't happen to attend AHS would they ;)

A couple but not all since you mention it......
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 10, 2017 3:36 pm

Offering scholarships to 12 year olds?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed May 10, 2017 4:10 pm

Heard that one club tried to poach a 10 year old last year! :shock:

Surely clubs should ease off a bit with junior players. I understand that often it's not the 'club' itself doing the poaching, rather parents getting in other parent's ears but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Fair enough if a player isn't enjoying their cricket and seeks out a change but actively encouraging it is a bit much.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby The Hound » Wed May 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Offering scholarships to 12 year olds?

LM - Believe there is a bit of an connection between AHS and ACC, maybe even Henley as well :D
The Hound
Reserves

Postby The Hound » Wed May 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Heard that one club tried to poach a 10 year old last year! :shock: said player would want to be a gun

Surely clubs should ease off a bit with junior players. I understand that often it's not the 'club' itself doing the poaching, rather parents getting in other parent's ears but it just rubs me the wrong way. Split families are also having an impact on junior movement

Fair enough if a player isn't enjoying their cricket and seeks out a change but actively encouraging it is a bit much.
Agreed
The Hound
Reserves

Postby daysofourlives » Wed May 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Eagles2017 wrote:
the star wrote:

Hey guys new to this forum enjoy the depth insights you all seem to have!
Interesting point from the star ie the country zones, i would agree Northerns have traditionally lost their talent country players back to the country. What teams (if any) have the best track record with their country zone. I can think of a few young lads west torrens have had come out of the YP but apart from that i cant think of many clubs with more than 1 maybe 2 in the senior ranks?

FYI eagles in my name = WWTFC not West Torrens, hopefully my boys can follow in West torrens footsteps to the flag this year!

Could it be that the Barossa is so close that more kids go to the Jets at an earlier age and then suffer from a bit of burn out by the time they are 18/19.
Are the kids expected to train twice a week at the Jets in juniors? What would other clubs policies be on their country kids? I imagine some wouldnt train at all and just play on Saturdays. Maybe a combination of all of this sees the Jets lose country juniors while others are able to hang onto them
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps