The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby morell » Thu May 11, 2017 11:21 am

But don't you see they *deserve* a leg up because the Crers are the bastions of everything good and holy about SA football, they are, after-all, "The Team for All South Australians"
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Pseudo » Thu May 11, 2017 11:25 am

morell wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
morell wrote:Just so I am clear, when Port got bailed out, do we subtract that from the 6.9 million we paid the SANFL over 15 years for our license or nah?

Sure. Just hand your license back.
... and the gameday revenue from Adelaide Oval the SANFL get as part of the SMA? Do we calculate that too or nah?

Feel free to play games back at Football Park if the current agreement does not suit you. Pop into West Lakes and ask your big brother for advice on successfully extorting the SANFL to provide rent-free tenancy (Hi @Booney!)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby morell » Thu May 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Big brother?

I prefer mutant demon spawn.
morell
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Yes it is sad.
No its not. The vast majority of Port fans are pretty happy where the club is at. Playing on the national stage. Tens of thousands of members, tens of thousands attend game days, multi million dollar sponsorships etc

therisingblues wrote:There are plenty of Magpie folk who do not attend anymore because they do not want to see these AFL body snatchers dancing around in the skin of the club that they have loved all their lives, and they really had no way to avoid the situation.
No there isn't. Very few of these types remain.

That's why it has more than a tinge of sadness associated with it.

It's not a cock measuring exercise, but you won't find any family more Port Adelaide than mine. From my two grand fathers working on ketches out of the Port, my old man being a wharfie, to me now living in Alberton, we are, in every sense, Port Adelaide.....but there's an undeniable fact that the day the Magpies became the home of the Port Adelaide AFL listed players was a sad day. I cried. Not too proud to admit it either, that day at Glenelg Oval, of all ******* places. My old t-shirt "We exist to win premierships" is not true, not any more.

It is, however, the by product of being able to go to AO with 50,000 other people and support our club on the national stage. It's the by product of me being there with my 8 year old son and 60 year old mother in 2004 to see the PAFC win the biggest prize in Australian domestic sport. Those toothless battlers from the Port, beating the best of the best on the national stage. Unbelievable. To be there in 2007 when it was "history in the making". Equally as unbelievable.

It humors me when people on here say "Port have had their cake and eat it too"..."They want it both ways"........ pretty sure they're over looking the fact that the cockle diver within me, and many people like me, died a little in 2013, wouldn't have cried if it didn't. Not sure that I've got it "both ways".*

=D>
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby MW » Thu May 11, 2017 1:16 pm

No toothless battlers in the AFL. There has to come a time when you stop with the us against them mentality.
You play and pay to the same salary cap as every other club, get very good corporate support.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby cennals05 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:19 pm

I don't know how to describe this article, but it probably captures how a few people feel about SANFL now.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... ca6c77378d
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby VALE PARK » Thu May 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Classic article,but who is listening?
Biggest challenge for the SANFL is to retain and grow followers (SANFL and clubs please wake up,Rome is burning)
attendees continue to fall and fall.
When your club has a bye (why!)
perhaps go to an ammos game.
Trouble is you may struggle to find a park.
That says something too.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Reddeer » Thu May 11, 2017 3:09 pm

cennals05 wrote:I don't know how to describe this article, but it probably captures how a few people feel about SANFL now.

Sums it up perfectly Spot on by Andrew Faulkner
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu May 11, 2017 3:23 pm

cennals05 wrote:I don't know how to describe this article, but it probably captures how a few people feel about SANFL now.

Breaks my heart a little bit that - I've got two girls who love going to the Dogs games and that piece feels a little too close to home.
I wonder if this is Andrew's personal story.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby morell » Thu May 11, 2017 3:36 pm

It is an evocative article.

I wondered if the recent re-branding of the SAAFL to the "Adelaide Footy League" was an attempt to broaden the appeal and attract disaffected SANFL supporters.

Should the AFL implement a Reserves system, would there be a potential merger and we'd see the SANFL be the "Premier League" to the rest of the Adelaide Footy League, including promotion and relegation?
morell
Coach

Postby VALE PARK » Thu May 11, 2017 3:48 pm

No me no chance in the wide world of an AFL reserves competition soon or perhaps ever.
Why would they bother in SA we fixed it for them.
The next 10 years will be all about spending up for the AFLW and expansion thereafter.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Pseudo » Thu May 11, 2017 3:59 pm

morell wrote:Should the AFL implement a Reserves system, would there be a potential merger and we'd see the SANFL be the "Premier League" to the rest of the Adelaide Footy League, including promotion and relegation?

Would be nice to see the Bays win a flag in a few years - albeit after they've had several consecutive seasons of relegation and end up in Div 6...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Booney » Thu May 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Pseudo wrote:
morell wrote:Should the AFL implement a Reserves system, would there be a potential merger and we'd see the SANFL be the "Premier League" to the rest of the Adelaide Footy League, including promotion and relegation?

Would be nice to see the Bays win a flag in a few years - albeit after they've had several consecutive seasons of relegation and end up in Div 6...

Still getting ahead of yourselves.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Panther Pack » Thu May 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Can't see the 2 AFL reserves teams leaving the league anytime soon. The AFL too focused on AFLW at the moment.

The SANFL should charge Port Adelaide to play in the league just like they do for Adelaide might as well get some money out of this situation.

Also the SANFL needs to get serious about advertising and promoting the league I've mentioned before that there definitely feels like there is less advertising than ever before. If you aren't a club member you probably wouldn't even know the games are on.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:55 pm

VALE PARK wrote:No me no chance in the wide world of an AFL reserves competition soon or perhaps ever.
Why would they bother in SA we fixed it for them.
The next 10 years will be all about spending up for the AFLW and expansion thereafter.

Have to agree, there is little hope of a AFL reserves comp. The 10 Vic clubs are in the process of setting up a 10 team VFL comp and they are not interested in the slightest in travelling or having extra teams in the comp
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogs72 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Booney wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
morell wrote:Just so I am clear, when Port got bailed out, do we subtract that from the 6.9 million we paid the SANFL over 15 years for our license or nah?

I look forward to the hundreds of pages of posts relating to Adelaide living rent free at West Lakes for nearly 30 years.[/quo

It might have made some sense when the sanfl held the license, I can't understand why they'd absorb any costs now.
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby goddy11 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Dogs72 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

I look forward to the hundreds of pages of posts relating to Adelaide living rent free at West Lakes for nearly 30 years.[/quo

It might have made some sense when the sanfl held the license, I can't understand why they'd absorb any costs now.

Both clubs have milked the SANFL and will do so for as long as they can get away with it . I believe the reason is the SANFL management is in audition phase for jobs at the 2 AFL clubs. Just look at people that have moved on. Olsen is just incompetent. No agenda for him
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby RB » Thu May 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:
morell wrote:That the thing, The Port Adelaide Football Club are surviving, thriving and playing in the AFL.

I've always thought that 'club' is an odd word to describe a pretty artificial franchise that was only incorporated in 1996, but I'm glad it's working out for you.

You follow the Woodville West Torrens Pecker Warrior Eagles, don't you, RB?

A club that is, would you believe it, even older than Port. :lol:
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby RB » Thu May 11, 2017 8:47 pm

Booney wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

I look forward to the hundreds of pages of posts relating to Adelaide living rent free at West Lakes for nearly 30 years.

An arrangement that is equally outrageous.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Wait a second. The SANFL OWNED the licences of both the Crows and Port until recently.

So saying the crows dont "pay" for something is just semantics as it was all owned by the SANFL. And this would have been negotiated when the crows bought the licence from the SANFL a few years ago

As for agendas on the SANFL management, you cant really argue with that.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL