The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby morell » Mon May 15, 2017 11:59 am

Yes, blame natural and inevitable football progress on Port, I will.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 15, 2017 12:09 pm

6 teams have a bye on a perfect Autumn weekend still a few weeks before winter, SANFL are clearly no longer intere sted in crowds or interest in the league at a time of the year where it should be gaining momentum.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:6 teams have a bye on a perfect Autumn weekend still a few weeks before winter, SANFL are clearly no longer intere sted in crowds or interest in the league at a time of the year where it should be gaining momentum.

I believe the fixture over the last 3 years has been as significant as any other negative the competition has been subjected too.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 15, 2017 12:31 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:6 teams have a bye on a perfect Autumn weekend still a few weeks before winter, SANFL are clearly no longer intere sted in crowds or interest in the league at a time of the year where it should be gaining momentum.

I believe the fixture over the last 3 years has been as significant as any other negative the competition has been subjected too.

By any other negative, you refer to the AFL reserves, I'm guessing?
Hasn't the program been adjusted to suit them?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon May 15, 2017 12:47 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Booney wrote:

By any other negative, you refer to the AFL reserves, I'm guessing?
Hasn't the program been adjusted to suit them?

Among other factors, yes. Not going to deny their undeniable impact.

In some instances, I'd say yes,but how this impacted on ( IIRC ) North having about 10 Sunday games last year that'll be for you to draw the long bow on.

Look at this round, the Eagles and Sturt played 2 games in round 5 due to the Tuesday Anzac Day fixture. 6 teams sat idle over the weekend in perfect Autumn weather. Sound fixturing might have seen the abbreviated round played out in the depths of winter. Or, alternatively, the "catch up" games be played the weekend of Port or Adelaide having the AFL bye, showcasing the SANFL as an option for that weekend.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Mon May 15, 2017 12:49 pm

I think you're all looking at the tree and ignoring the forest.

The newest generation of paying customers would've grown up with no connection the the SANFL, unless they had family involved or were playing. 18-25 year olds who now go to the AFL in their thousands were born in 1999-1992. A time where the Crows were up and about and Port were the rebellious alternative.

For the first time these people didn't grow up with the SANFL. They grew up with Tony Modra and Gavin Wanganeen.

It's simply progress. There is almost nothing anyone could've done or can do. Blaming this person or that person or this club or that organisation or this schedule or the fact there are AFL Reserves is simply covering up the cold hard truth of it all....

The SANFL is no longer relevant as a product for people to consume and has been eaten up in a competitive marketplace with time poor customers.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon May 15, 2017 12:55 pm

morell wrote:I think you're all looking at the tree and ignoring the forest.

The newest generation of paying customers would've grown up with no connection the the SANFL, unless they had family involved or were playing. 18-25 year olds who now go to the AFL in their thousands were born in 1999-1992. A time where the Crows were up and about and Port were the rebellious alternative.

For the first time these people didn't grow up with the SANFL. They grew up with Tony Modra and Gavin Wanganeen.

It's simply progress. There is almost nothing anyone could've done or can do. Blaming this person or that person or this club or that organisation or this schedule or the fact there are AFL Reserves is simply covering up the cold hard truth of it all....

The SANFL is no longer relevant as a product for people to consume and has been eaten up in a competitive marketplace with time poor customers.

Certainly been mentioned numerous times within this thread.

There's plenty of 40-60 year olds who fill Adelaide Oval every week who "Used to follow *insert SANFL club name here". There is also, however, a big group within this thread who can't see that someone else doesn't invest in the SANFL as heavily as they do, nor understand why.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 15, 2017 1:17 pm

These 40-60 yo's have a lot of kids though and the recent changes have seen a lot of them stop going to the SANFL and therefore their kids stop going and stop being engaged with an SANFL team, both my boys have Glenelg jumpers they haven't worn for 3 years.

Now it is AFL and the grassroots footy team.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby morell » Mon May 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Dutchy wrote:Now it is AFL and the grassroots footy team.
Nah it's all Port's fault. Those damn lecherous bastards.
morell
Coach

Postby tipper » Mon May 15, 2017 3:01 pm

**** me you write some dribble. if anyone is ignoring facts it is yourself.

none of the "anti reserves" posters here have denied that the afl is bigger than the sanfl, nor have they ignored the problems with the "new" generation not growing up with the sanfl being as big as it was. ffs that is part of the problem. by allowing the introduction of the reserves teams, it has made the sanfl effectively afl lite. and there is now no point of difference to it. it was said before their introduction, and it has been proven after it, no one goes to watch the ressies. despite the claims of the afl clubs. and why have a different side in the sanfl when the reserves of their afl side is in it? this, more than anything else, is killing the league.

the sanfl could have remained relevant if they stood alone. make it affordable, and make it accessible. the 18 to 25 year olds could still have been interested in it, some of their mates could be playing sanfl. they could go watch when their afl side is interstate. its a hell of a lot more affordable and accessible than going to adelaide oval. there were options. my kids loved going to see the roosters. but not now. we havent been to a single game in years, and it is all due to the reserves sides.

and notice, none of what i have said is targeting Port? get your chip off your shoulder. those against the ressies dont just blame port. they blame both afl sides, the sanfl, and the leadership of 6 of the 8 sanfl clubs.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby stan » Mon May 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Jim05 wrote:This bit from Port still makes me chuckle

Bloody hell Jim charge your phone there mate.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby morell » Mon May 15, 2017 3:55 pm

tipper wrote:

**** me you write some dribble. if anyone is ignoring facts it is yourself.

none of the "anti reserves" posters here have denied that the afl is bigger than the sanfl, nor have they ignored the problems with the "new" generation not growing up with the sanfl being as big as it was. ffs that is part of the problem. by allowing the introduction of the reserves teams, it has made the sanfl effectively afl lite. and there is now no point of difference to it. it was said before their introduction, and it has been proven after it, no one goes to watch the ressies. despite the claims of the afl clubs. and why have a different side in the sanfl when the reserves of their afl side is in it? this, more than anything else, is killing the league.

the sanfl could have remained relevant if they stood alone. make it affordable, and make it accessible. the 18 to 25 year olds could still have been interested in it, some of their mates could be playing sanfl. they could go watch when their afl side is interstate. its a hell of a lot more affordable and accessible than going to adelaide oval. there were options. my kids loved going to see the roosters. but not now. we havent been to a single game in years, and it is all due to the reserves sides.

and notice, none of what i have said is targeting Port? get your chip off your shoulder. those against the ressies dont just blame port. they blame both afl sides, the sanfl, and the leadership of 6 of the 8 sanfl clubs.

Straw and Men. Then you went and agreed with the rest of my post. Strange.

I would love for the AFL to have a reserves comp. I don't like them in the SANFL either. I don't particularity like Todd Marshall playing against blokes who are physically bigger than him and out to prove a point, for example - but at the moment it's the best solution of a bad bunch of options.

My argument was against the notion that Port have received bail outs to the tune of 16M dollars and that the SANFL's downfall is apparently all Port's fault. And that the Reserves is the core reason for the slide in attendance.

The AFL Reserves playing in the SANFL is not ideal and there are some that would be turned off by it but as I said, it's the tree in the forest, not the forest itself.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Mon May 15, 2017 4:06 pm

But just as an aside, say Port and the Crows don't have good AFL teams for a protracted period. Say 20 years - like a Carlton. Maybe Port fold at AFL level and the Crows lose relevance. Kids stop playing footy as there isn't anyone exciting to watch and they're sick of losing and instead take up soccer. Numbers drop, grassroots clubs fold - the gateway for people to start playing and watching footy.

Soon enough, there just isn't enough of a football market to make things viable and South Australia turns into a "Soccer State" like Queensland is a rugby state.

For football to remain the sport we all love and enjoy, we have to have strong, relevant, successful football teams at AFL level. For that to happen they need good football structures like those interstate to compete. Which includes Reserves playing in competitive comps.

I am sorry if that means the SANFL gets slightly compromised, but to me, the AFL teams being competitive and successful is more important than the purity and sanctity of the SANFL competition. None of you will like hearing that, but it's correct nonetheless.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon May 15, 2017 4:34 pm

morell wrote:I am sorry if that means the SANFL gets slightly compromised, but to me, the AFL teams being competitive and successful is more important than the purity and sanctity of the SANFL competition. None of you will like hearing that, but it's correct nonetheless.

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon May 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:I am sorry if that means the SANFL gets slightly compromised, but to me, the AFL teams being competitive and successful is more important than the purity and sanctity of the SANFL competition. None of you will like hearing that, but it's correct nonetheless.

Attachments
popcorn eating.gif
popcorn eating.gif (538.01 KiB) Viewed 368 times
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon May 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Queensland is more of a Rugby League state than a Rugby state even though the Reds did get good crowds a few years ago when they were successful.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Ronnie » Mon May 15, 2017 5:10 pm

It's an interesting point, if either AFL club in SA turned into a Richmond or Carlton for a decade or more what that would mean for their crowds/support. Adelaide Oval might help but I reckon both would suffer significant drops in attendance. Port don't cope with failure (never had to just had a peek under Primus and that was enough) and the Crows I think have a very soft underbelly I can't see a lot of them sticking it out through thin and thin they just don't strike me as a rusted on supporter group by any means.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Ronnie wrote:It's an interesting point, if either AFL club in SA turned into a Richmond or Carlton for a decade or more what that would mean for their crowds/support. Adelaide Oval might help but I reckon both would suffer significant drops in attendance. Port don't cope with failure (never had to just had a peek under Primus and that was enough) and the Crows I think have a very soft underbelly I can't see a lot of them sticking it out through thin and thin they just don't strike me as a rusted on supporter group by any means.

How does this differ to any club in any competition?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon May 15, 2017 5:22 pm

Ronnie wrote:It's an interesting point, if either AFL club in SA turned into a Richmond or Carlton for a decade or more what that would mean for their crowds/support. Adelaide Oval might help but I reckon both would suffer significant drops in attendance. Port don't cope with failure (never had to just had a peek under Primus and that was enough) and the Crows I think have a very soft underbelly I can't see a lot of them sticking it out through thin and thin they just don't strike me as a rusted on supporter group by any means.

Home crowd never dropped below average of 35k even during lean years. Evenavg near 40k during the Robert Shaw years!
I think they've proven to be good attendees regardless of how the season is going. Obviously has some variances with form.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon May 15, 2017 5:26 pm

MW wrote:

Home crowd never dropped below average of 35k even during lean years. Evenavg near 40k during the Robert Shaw years!
I think they've proven to be good attendees regardless of how the season is going. Obviously has some variances with form.

Staying to the end of a game when losing is a different story! ;)

Looked like 15k left at 3/4 time....... on TV.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL