Adelaide Plains Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon May 08, 2017 2:55 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:A couple of the gun imports have been on the sidelines in recent weeks, which is never good to see.

Camplin from Two Wells apparently has a hammy and was carrying the drinks on the weekend, which was a bonus for the magpies. Also, Mitch Sandery from United, after his ANZAC Medal winning performance in Round 1, has not been sighted since. Is he injured MC?

He played almost half a game against Balak. Strained something in his leg when he had to jump the fence and collect the ball after a point. Should be right soon.

Just on that though, what are peoples thoughts of the league supplied umps? I think its good in theory, however they won't fetch the balls after a point. When clubs supplied boundary umpires this was something that the umpires always did. Now the clubs are also paying extra $$ to have these extra umpires.

My view is they are doing less of a job (not collecting balls) and costing clubs more money.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 08, 2017 3:01 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
He played almost half a game against Balak. Strained something in his leg when he had to jump the fence and collect the ball after a point. Should be right soon.

Just on that though, what are peoples thoughts of the league supplied umps? I think its good in theory, however they won't fetch the balls after a point. When clubs supplied boundary umpires this was something that the umpires always did. Now the clubs are also paying extra $$ to have these extra umpires.

My view is they are doing less of a job (not collecting balls) and costing clubs more money.

Interesting point, say for instance a boundary umpire gets the ball, kicks it back to the full back who kicks it in immediately and there's line ball decision 55 metres away form the goals, do you want the boundary umpire at the spot where they are meant to be or still running back to the oval from fetching the ball?

Goals, yes, ball bouncing over the fence for a throw in, yes, collecting behinds, no IMO, they are boundary umpires and need to be in position for the next play.

Apparently that's what the coaches wanted too.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon May 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:

Interesting point, say for instance a boundary umpire gets the ball, kicks it back to the full back who kicks it in immediately and there's line ball decision 55 metres away form the goals, do you want the boundary umpire at the spot where they are meant to be or still running back to the oval from fetching the ball?

Goals, yes, ball bouncing over the fence for a throw in, yes, collecting behinds, no IMO, they are boundary umpires and need to be in position for the next play.

Apparently that's what the coaches wanted too.

This would very rarely happen, but if it did 55m out being on part of the oval that is generally not curved, the other boundary ump positioned at half way or thereabouts would have a very good view to judge this.

Not sure if all the coaches would have been asked.

I can say with absolute certainty that not all Full Backs are happy with the new arrangement!
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:This would very rarely happen, but if it did 55m out being on part of the oval that is generally not curved, the other boundary ump positioned at half way or thereabouts would have a very good view to judge this.

I can say with absolute certainty that not all Full Backs are happy with the new arrangement!

Solution: Have 1 match ball and a back up ball at each end.

Alternatively, talk to your coach about it as I know an email went out last week pertaining to the issue.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Solution: Have 1 match ball and a back up ball at each end..

@oldman what's your thoughts on this? :lol: :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:This would very rarely happen, but if it did 55m out being on part of the oval that is generally not curved, the other boundary ump positioned at half way or thereabouts would have a very good view to judge this.

Alternatively, talk to your coach about it as I know an email went out last week pertaining to the issue.

Reading through the email and you could be on to something but I doubt whether it's going to save you any time or allow you to move the ball in quicker.

It states "the boundary umpire is to retrieve the ball when it goes over the fence but must not give the ball to the player until they are back in the field of play and ready to resume position".
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Zartan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Solution: Have 1 match ball and a back up ball at each end..

@oldman what's your thoughts on this? :lol: :lol:

I thought of that convo you prick!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon May 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Reading through the email and you could be on to something but I doubt whether it's going to save you any time or allow you to move the ball in quicker.

It states "the boundary umpire is to retrieve the ball when it goes over the fence but must not give the ball to the player until they are back in the field of play and ready to resume position".

So they are required to collect the ball from over the fence?
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 09, 2017 8:42 am

Swamp Donkey wrote:So they are required to collect the ball from over the fence?

The boundary fence when there's no spectators close by.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Winger1 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Anyone see any games on the weekend? Anything to note or any surprises? Been a bit quiet as of late...
Winger1
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby OnSong » Wed May 10, 2017 10:55 am

Toby Hasledine to Virginia?
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Fri May 12, 2017 10:30 am

Paul Thomas a straight swap for Callum Hay at the Rams this week for the blockbuster at Hamley.

Big Whisky back for the Peckers, while Mitch Sandery (United), Matt Camplin (Two Wells) and the entire 2014 Hamley Bridge A grade team remain noteable omissions for this weekend's round of matches.

Tips this week:
Angle Vale v United: Tigers by 6 goals.
Balaklava v Mallala: Pies by 4 points
Hamley v Virginia: Virginia by 19 goal
Two Wells v HWE: HWE by 4 points
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri May 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:Paul Thomas a straight swap for Callum Hay at the Rams this week for the blockbuster at Hamley.

Big Whisky back for the Peckers, while Mitch Sandery (United), Matt Camplin (Two Wells) and the entire 2014 Hamley Bridge A grade team remain noteable omissions for this weekend's round of matches.

Tips this week:

Ha. Nice one.
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Swamp Donkey » Fri May 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:Paul Thomas a straight swap for Callum Hay at the Rams this week for the blockbuster at Hamley.

Tips this week:

Ha. Nice one.

Still dirty
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon May 15, 2017 3:54 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on Angle Vale?

Based on the scoreline from recent matches, particularly from Saturday vs United, it seems they have improved immensely this season. Great to see.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby magpieeagle » Mon May 15, 2017 4:08 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on Angle Vale?

Based on the scoreline from recent matches, particularly from Saturday vs United, it seems they have improved immensely this season. Great to see.

Heard that the umpires were less than impressed with the attitude's of players and spectators down there Saturday with AV this morning enforcing the clubs code of conduct to players/spectators, Maybe MC might know something, but it definitely looks like they are on the improve in all grades just like Virginia are, great for the comp, Hearing trouble over the Hamley way, not much a coach can do without the cattle.
magpieeagle
Reserves

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon May 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Yeah on field they have definitely improved from last year. I wouldn't be taking them as lightly as we did in the future.
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon May 15, 2017 4:18 pm

magpieeagle wrote:

Heard that the umpires were less than impressed with the attitude's of players and spectators down there Saturday with AV this morning enforcing the clubs code of conduct to players/spectators, Maybe MC might know something, but it definitely looks like they are on the improve in all grades just like Virginia are, great for the comp, Hearing trouble over the Hamley way, not much a coach can do without the cattle.

The umpires didn't pay any free kicks against them so not sure why they would be saying they were less than impressed after the game. Bit late then isn't it.
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby norm11 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:59 pm

magpieeagle wrote:

What sort of trouble u hearing at Hamley? Like u say very hard with out the cattle. Who's at fault is the question I guess. Who's in charge of recruiting and keeping players.
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 16, 2017 9:35 am

norm11 wrote:What sort of trouble u hearing at Hamley? Like u say very hard with out the cattle. Who's at fault is the question I guess. Who's in charge of recruiting and keeping players.

Unless the recruiters have deep pockets I don't think it matters who's in charge of that department, just have to rebuild and try another approach to be successful with some sustainability.
To their credit, they're a pretty young bunch.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy