Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 15, 2017 4:44 pm

whufc wrote:I guess that's the balance between creating a club culture or looking for instant sucess as well as managing individual players..

I think all those three points should be focused on every year anyway - you want to create a positive club culture but at the same time clubs don't want to dwell in the lower grades, and managing individual players would be key to having success and helping with culture wouldn't it?

Interesting discussion though.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby Half Back Flanker » Mon May 15, 2017 4:48 pm

morell wrote:
Half Back Flanker wrote:I can say as a coach of this division that communication is the key. Life is busier these days than those of years when i played. If blokes are working or like Morell and have your Missus Aunties Birthday, that they need to be open and transparent about why they cannot train. Seems to be working well for us this year as numbers are a lot stronger than previous years I've been told.
:lol:

Communication should be a non-negotiable I agree. It's never too hard to give the coach a call or text.

Numbers are better this year because the A Grade is winning (because we have a magical amazing super awesome brilliant coach) and the B grade is losing - so people want to train to get into the higher grade.

If the reverse is true (b Grade winning , A grade losing) like last year, that's much more difficult to do and numbers naturally drop.

Please Morell get off you knees.......you're making me sick :vom: :vom:
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby Q. » Mon May 15, 2017 4:50 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Q. wrote:
Footy Chick wrote: Those who train, get picked first - it's not rocket science

You dont' need any fancy operant conditioning for that.

It's mens footy - not under 8's where everyone gets a turn.

I'm 34, and currently barely train because either I've barely recovered by Thursday or I'm working until past 7pm. Should I not be picked for A-grade?

There are going to be all sorts of circumstances which are a grey area for this sort of thing, like working etc.

Haven't recovered by Thursday? :shock: Masters for you come August 9 my friend! ;) [emoji38]

Bah, no masters for me. If I manage my body (ie. hardly train) , I'll play A's until I'm 40 ;)
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby morell » Mon May 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Half Back Flanker wrote:
morell wrote:
Half Back Flanker wrote:I can say as a coach of this division that communication is the key. Life is busier these days than those of years when i played. If blokes are working or like Morell and have your Missus Aunties Birthday, that they need to be open and transparent about why they cannot train. Seems to be working well for us this year as numbers are a lot stronger than previous years I've been told.
:lol:

Communication should be a non-negotiable I agree. It's never too hard to give the coach a call or text.

Numbers are better this year because the A Grade is winning (because we have a magical amazing super awesome brilliant coach) and the B grade is losing - so people want to train to get into the higher grade.

If the reverse is true (b Grade winning , A grade losing) like last year, that's much more difficult to do and numbers naturally drop.

Please Morell get off you knees.......you're making me sick :vom: :vom:

Ahhh...

I meant Scooter.

Awks.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Given all the discussion and (valid) points about training in lower grades, interested to know if people think training twice a week in say a D7 club is still beneficial and needed?

As whufc pointed out, it's a couple hours twice a week, nothing is going to improve in fitness terms. Generally you get half one night, half the other.. if it was one night a week for a solid couple of hours, would that improve the numbers and output?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Mon May 15, 2017 4:54 pm

Zartan wrote:Given all the discussion and (valid) points about training in lower grades, interested to know if people think training twice a week in say a D7 club is still beneficial and needed?

As whufc pointed out, it's a couple hours twice a week, nothing is going to improve in fitness terms. Generally you get half one night, half the other.. if it was one night a week for a solid couple of hours, would that improve the numbers and output?
During pre-season, yes.

If it were me I would train once a week trial games onwards.

but all it would take is one coach to "demand excellence for success" and train twice and win a flag and it would revert back.
Last edited by morell on Mon May 15, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby The Informer » Mon May 15, 2017 4:55 pm

A lot of clubs rely on the numbers both nights of the week as well for money over the bar and that.
Makes life tough for a coach who wants to try achieve things and structures up training drills to suit a few things u want to teach the team and you get bugger all because off all the weak excuses that come out these days.
In saying that, i think the lowest we would have had would be around 30 so i guess that is good.
I just hate checking my phone Tuesday and Thursday nights.
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby whufc » Mon May 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Zartan wrote:Given all the discussion and (valid) points about training in lower grades, interested to know if people think training twice a week in say a D7 club is still beneficial and needed?

My personal opinion in lower football grades and especially in most amateur cricket grades

Thursday night 'compulsary' 'selection night' training give 100% would want a reason as to why a players not there etc etc

Tuesday night non compulsary- skill, tactical based, lots of one on one technique based training, I only want the guys who want to learn and develop on Tuesday nights. This is where my coaching team get heavily involved taking players aside etc etc
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 15, 2017 5:00 pm

The_Informer wrote:Makes life tough for a coach who wants to try achieve things and structures up training drills to suit a few things u want to teach the team and you get bugger all because off all the weak excuses that come out these days.

I just hate checking my phone Tuesday and Thursday nights.

I agree wholeheartedly with these two sentences haha!! Shits me to tears setting up training sessions for B grade and running them with the C grade instead because they actually rock up - and the skill level and general understanding is poor.

So many piss weak excuses every week, never met so many blokes who suddenly have to work overtime on a Tuesday night only.. or are early 20's, never got a hard ball and are sore.. or always have the flu or gastro on a Tuesday night.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Computer Crashed » Mon May 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Zartan wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:
Zartan wrote:At least Hanson and Cree would've learned their lesson in the B grade with 15 goals between them haha :lol:

least the A grade coach had the balls to enforce rules most coaches look the other way

True I agree.. it is easier though when you're travelling as well as they are. Would they enforce if they were in a must win game or a final?

Also sometimes I wonder about the benefit of these team policies on certain people - some guys don't give a shit if they get dropped and dominate, they almost feel like it's a reward to get to play in a softer grade.. so are you really teaching them any lessons? Cree has always been notoriously poor for training, nothing will ever change there - he won't lose sleep if he's got to suit up in B Grade all year because of it.

In that case they are useless to the cause.
Coach maybe weeding out the non commitals.
Long road back for PH, no better way to set the bar.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby Computer Crashed » Mon May 15, 2017 8:30 pm

morell wrote:
whufc wrote:
morell wrote:You're making the assumption that playing A Grade is a reward and playing B grade is a punishment.

This is not always the case and is perhaps a unique problem in the lower levels.

Clubs should be trying to make A Grade a reward/prestigious especially when it comes to your 'star' players.

It would be an awful culture at a club if any bloke aged between 18-early thirties saw playing A Grade as anything but a reward, obviously there would be some legitimate cases with blokes who have had long term injuries, playing with son etc but you would want at least 90% of your b graders striving to play A Grade
I will confess...

I chose to play B grade in 2013 because to be honest I preferred it. It fitted better into my lifestyle. I could get out of there early and could still spend some of the Saturday either watching the As or doing my own thing. I played well and got picked to play As but my heart wasn't in it. I didn't know many of the new blokes, the As were struggling and it just wasn't as enjoyable. Unlike the Reserves that was filled with my mates, we were winning and were having fun. I purposefully didn't train after I played As to get dropped. I admit it. So sue me.

You have to understand that at D5-6-7 level a lot of the guys are playing social footy to have fun, not trying to progress their football careers...

"Must train to play" sort of policies do not work for everyone. I'm sorry. They just don't.

So Div 5-7 is all about social footy and having a game yet for 6 months you have banged on about PH smashing the Div 7 comp.
So who cares, make your mind up.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby morell » Mon May 15, 2017 9:18 pm

You do understand how stupendously illogical that argument is right?

I mean really, think it through.
morell
Coach

Postby carey » Tue May 16, 2017 8:09 am

Was been busy at work yesterday and missed all the action in here.

I wonder if all the posts would've been in here had the A grade won?

I love training, to me if you comment to football its a package deal, Game day and 2 hours on a Tuesday and Thursday night but as I said that's just me I love training. I've always believed you get what you deserve so putting in during the week is a small price to pay for success on a Saturday and ultimately a Saturday in September should all things go to plan.

Whilst there have been 'some' valid points in here I know in the case of Para Hills the coach made the decision based 'The Para Hills' situation which in all due respect none of you know anything about! The club has obviously reformed this year with a wide range of players either joining the club or returning to the fold, Only 21 can play A grade but we have far more than 21 that want to play A grade, Hence why if blokes are training and have good form in the B grade the coach simply must pick them over blokes who aren't training. Yes there are exceptions to blokes in the A grade that if they cant train Work etc as HBF stated its a communication thing just be up front and honest and there is no issue.

The point I'm trying to make is this isn't necessarily solely about 2017 its about setting a standard for long term sustainability and success. The senior coach looks in for the long haul and wants a blue print in place were everyone knows where they stand. I didn't see any of this talk prior to the game, As I said it would be a non issue had the A grade won and obviously the lads having a day out in the 2's draws attention but lets be honest that was always going to happen Div 7r standard is well I'll leave that alone but these 2 lads are guns no doubt about it.

As I said before the result dropping guns is hard to doubt, If you want to set a standard it has to be done will it work? Who knows but to have the balls to drop the 2 best forwards in the comp to set the standard I tip my hat to you. Many others simply wouldn't have the balls to do it.

Time will tell if the objective of this exercise was a success or not.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2803 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Half Back Flanker » Tue May 16, 2017 8:51 am

carey wrote:Was been busy at work yesterday and missed all the action in here.

I wonder if all the posts would've been in here had the A grade won?

I love training, to me if you comment to football its a package deal, Game day and 2 hours on a Tuesday and Thursday night but as I said that's just me I love training. I've always believed you get what you deserve so putting in during the week is a small price to pay for success on a Saturday and ultimately a Saturday in September should all things go to plan.

Whilst there have been 'some' valid points in here I know in the case of Para Hills the coach made the decision based 'The Para Hills' situation which in all due respect none of you know anything about! The club has obviously reformed this year with a wide range of players either joining the club or returning to the fold, Only 21 can play A grade but we have far more than 21 that want to play A grade, Hence why if blokes are training and have good form in the B grade the coach simply must pick them over blokes who aren't training. Yes there are exceptions to blokes in the A grade that if they cant train Work etc as HBF stated its a communication thing just be up front and honest and there is no issue.

The point I'm trying to make is this isn't necessarily solely about 2017 its about setting a standard for long term sustainability and success. The senior coach looks in for the long haul and wants a blue print in place were everyone knows where they stand. I didn't see any of this talk prior to the game, As I said it would be a non issue had the A grade won and obviously the lads having a day out in the 2's draws attention but lets be honest that was always going to happen Div 7r standard is well I'll leave that alone but these 2 lads are guns no doubt about it.

As I said before the result dropping guns is hard to doubt, If you want to set a standard it has to be done will it work? Who knows but to have the balls to drop the 2 best forwards in the comp to set the standard I tip my hat to you. Many others simply wouldn't have the balls to do it.

Time will tell if the objective of this exercise was a success or not.

Well said mate.......well said. Totally agree =D> =D>
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 9:21 am

It's certainly an interesting debate - and it went beyond just Para Hills by the way, but you're right carey, had the A Grade had a resounding win and the B grade got spanked it wouldn't have been discussed.

But they didn't, in fact quite the opposite, which makes those decisions curious to say the least...

Football culture is changing as the generations change, the clubs that get the best handle on that will be the ones that are the most successful. There is no right or wrong but I can tell you that many of the "normal" and traditional football thinking and processes fly in the face of modern day cultural leadership methods and practices. Which was the basis of morell's myths BTW.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 16, 2017 9:37 am

If I'm dropped for not training, and kick a bag in the magoos.. If I still don't want to train, but want to play A grade,...

Can I just send a text message saying I can't make training and that will suffice?
Alternatively if I don't communicate, will performance become a factor and will I be rewarded for kicking big bags?
If your replacement full forward is injured, will I automatically come back into the side regardless?
On the opposite side of the spectrum, what if I enjoyed playing B grade so much and tell you I don't want to play A grade - will you force me to play where I'm picked? Or be happy to allow me to sandbag, and reward another player, even if it's to the detriment of the side?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 16, 2017 9:46 am

Conspiracy theory #329

What if this is all just a PR stunt? Coach wants to make a point and appear to make an example of key players to send the message to the rest of the playing group that he's serious.. but the key players are actually only available to play B grade that week anyway, so he discusses it with them, and pretends they've been dropped for not following training/communication protocol.

He gets his sacrificial key players and his stern warning across, players still get their game, no one is any wiser..
The Bedge
Coach

Postby OKC! » Tue May 16, 2017 9:54 am

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble.

I had netball. Shock horror.

Will have it plenty more before the end of season. Which means I have plenty more reserves games to come.

News break over.
The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.
OKC!
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 42 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 9:55 am

OKC! wrote:Sorry to burst everyone's bubble.

Will have it plenty more before the end of season. Which means I have plenty more reserves games to come.

News break over.
I'm going to talk to Steve Mac and make sure there is a netball game round 8 ;)
morell
Coach

Postby OKC! » Tue May 16, 2017 9:56 am

morell wrote:
OKC! wrote:Sorry to burst everyone's bubble.

News break over.
I'm going to talk to Steve Mac and make sure there is a netball game round 8 ;)

What date is that?
The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.
OKC!
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 42 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League