Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

Postby human_torpedo » Tue May 16, 2017 10:01 am

I don't think anyone outside the 4 walls of any football club has the right to say what methods, rules or regulations any coach puts on his team are right or wrong. Every club is unique. Every set of circumstances are different and not every punishment will fit the crime from one club to another..

If OB wants to make a statement that no one is safe and wants to reward blokes who are playing well in the 2's and training, then so be it.. It may not work at Mitchell Park, or Ingle Farm, or Trinity or anyone else for that matter. But Para Hills are obviously in a position that OB believes they can do it. Yeh they lost, so what? It could well be the only time this year they lose. If in 3 years time they are back playing div 5, with a good club culture based on tough decisions and precedents sets upon their return to the C9AFL ranks, will they look back and go 'Gee I wish we knocked off St Pauls that day back in May 2017'.. I don't think so

Yes the landscape is changing, peoples lives are busier and football, especially training is constantly being shuffled down the priority list. But guess what, if training isn't an option for you then neither is Para Hills A grade. That's what I take out of it
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 16, 2017 10:04 am

human_torpedo wrote:I don't think anyone outside the 4 walls of any football club has the right to say what methods, rules or regulations any coach puts on his team are right or wrong. Every club is unique. Every set of circumstances are different and not every punishment will fit the crime from one club to another..

I don't really care what they do as a footy club, i've moved past that ages ago haha, i just think it's an interesting discussion/debate to have in general.

What works for one club and playing group may not work for another, it's just good to see the varied opinions etc.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby jo172 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:14 am

human_torpedo wrote:I don't think anyone outside the 4 walls of any football club has the right to say what methods, rules or regulations any coach puts on his team are right or wrong. Every club is unique.

More so all happy clubs are alike, every unhappy club is unhappy in its own particular way.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby human_torpedo » Tue May 16, 2017 10:16 am

Zartan wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:I don't think anyone outside the 4 walls of any football club has the right to say what methods, rules or regulations any coach puts on his team are right or wrong. Every club is unique. Every set of circumstances are different and not every punishment will fit the crime from one club to another..

I don't really care what they do as a footy club, i've moved past that ages ago haha, i just think it's an interesting discussion/debate to have in general.

What works for one club and playing group may not work for another, it's just good to see the varied opinions etc.

I think every club would love to be in a position to be able to enforce it. We have discussed at length our frustrations on not being able to, and how much we would love to be in an environment where we could.. It will only progressively get harder as time goes on as well
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 16, 2017 10:19 am

human_torpedo wrote:I think every club would love to be in a position to be able to enforce it. We have discussed at length our frustrations on not being able to, and how much we would love to be in an environment where we could.. It will only progressively get harder as time goes on as well

Absolutely, which is probably why my personal belief now is that it's not a method that in the long term can be applied - at least not in the lower divisions. I would love to have 40 blokes rocking up fighting for a spot every week lol.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby OKC! » Tue May 16, 2017 10:25 am

With the 2 football included, I have 8 training sessions for the week.

How many you guys doing?

Div 7 football is not a priority. It is division 7 for a reason.
The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.
OKC!
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 42 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 10:29 am

OKC! wrote:With the 2 football included, I have 8 training sessions for the week.

How many you guys doing?

And this, right here, from the horses mouth, is why just about every expert coach in this thread is wrong.

Thank you for being honest.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby human_torpedo » Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 am

morell wrote:
OKC! wrote:With the 2 football included, I have 8 training sessions for the week.

How many you guys doing?

And this, right here, from the horses mouth, is why just about every expert coach in this thread is wrong.

You don't have to be Einstein, or Morell, to work out that football, especially division 7 football is plummeting down the priority list..

What is wrong is to think that what one club does will work at another. As OKC said, he has 8 training on a week, which im sure was discussed upon his return, and he seems fine knowing that will mean he will be playing a bit of div 7R football..

Tell me again why this makes the coach wrong in enforcing it?
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby OKC! » Tue May 16, 2017 10:37 am

morell wrote:

How many you guys doing?

Im not being disrespectful to my coach/team mates/club, im just saying it how it is.

So saturday I finished footy at 2 oclock and drove straight to mvale to play at 4pm and 5pm. 2 games, and then Sunday I coached a side and trained for my side from 3pm-7pm.

This weekend if i play a's i finish at 415 and my 2 games start back to back at 430..... so id welcome the 2 hour break!

I have footy tonight but then at 8pm i am meeting some of my team for a fitness session.

In all of that, if i want a break. Footy is where its happening.

I dont mind playing reserves. If i was at a div 1 club i would be wanting to play A grade, right now im playing for fun. I went back to Para hills to play with my mates I won a flag with. Not cause i want to enter the draft. I have no problems with no train no play.
The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.
OKC!
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 42 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Postby zedman » Tue May 16, 2017 10:40 am

football training has to be enjoyable and brief to maintain high numbers imo..we train for 75 minutes twice a week including the pre season..if you cant make it to those time friendly sessions then you arent really serious about your football and its best if you move on to another club..

want a game in our C grade?..pay your subs and train..and they do..make the training fun and well managed whilst also educating the players and they will keep turning up..

create a culture where players want to be at training sessions..not thinking of ways to get out of it..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 10:42 am

Totally agree with every word OKC! and it's absolutely fair enough. I've been trying to explain this to all and sundry albeit perhaps poorly.

Its the perfect case study of your modern lower division footballer. We have many in the same boat. Including myself.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 10:49 am

I also think its a bit of a generational issue, most coaches would be males, aged 35-50, who played footy reasonably seriously and it was a big part of their lives. They probably had regular jobs during the week and knocked off at 330 if they were a tradie or 5 if they worked in an office. It was footy in the winter, cricket in the summer. Wife and 2.5 kids. Meat and three veg on Sunday. Beers and the pub for fun.

The concept now that a player might choose to play netball over a game of football, or have to work odd hours, or stay at home to look after the kids, or maybe even prioritise a music festival over football is foreign. And deserving of punishment or scorn.

Until the players that are playing now and are comfortable with football being lower on the list move into leadership and coaching positions, this will continue to be a problem.
morell
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue May 16, 2017 10:54 am

Yeah but where OKC is the exception to the rule, is that, he's still training - be it for other sports - but maintaining some level of fitness.

At D7 level, the skill factor probably isn't as crucial.(some would argue it's more crucial as there isn't as much skill at this level, thus the need to practice)

If PH were in D4 like Morell believes they should be, then that may be a different kettle of fish..
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 10:56 am

Footy Chick wrote:Yeah but where OKC is the exception to the rule, is that, he's still training - be it for other sports - but maintaining some level of fitness..
in regards to football being lower on the priority list at this level, no, hes not, he's very much the norm.
morell
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Tue May 16, 2017 10:59 am

morell wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Yeah but where OKC is the exception to the rule, is that, he's still training - be it for other sports - but maintaining some level of fitness..
in regards to football being lower on the priority list at this level, no, hes not, he's very much the norm.

But what you refuse to accept is that every club is different in how they tolerate this..

You seem to think its must be Morell's way or its wrong. Just because something is the case, it must be treated and acted on in the same way for every club. That is wrong
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Footy Chick » Tue May 16, 2017 11:02 am

morell wrote:

Yeah but he's not like other slackers that prefer to spend Tuesdays at the pub, or on the lounge at home, or it's too cold, or i sneezed so better not train... You're missing the point.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 11:10 am

They might be a different club but some things are pretty constant. What OKC! posted definitely rings true for a lot of our players as well.

Para Hills, Mitchell Park, Trinity, Ingle Farm, whoever, are all football clubs filled with young men aged between 16 and 40 trying to do roughly the same thing at the same time at the same place at the same standard. We're all very similar organisations where a certain cultural change could be reasonably analysed as being consistent across us all... we're not comparing a child care facility to a mine.

I have no problems with Para Hills playing guns in the reserves, but we have to begin to understand that it really ought not be seen as a punishment or a vehicle for cultural change.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 11:11 am

Footy Chick wrote:
morell wrote:

Yeah but he's not like other slackers that prefer to spend Tuesdays at the pub, or on the lounge at home, or it's too cold, or i sneezed so better not train... You're missing the point.

No, I think you are.

The fact you said someone wanting to spend their Tuesday at the pub is a "slacker" highlights this.
morell
Coach

Postby zedman » Tue May 16, 2017 11:20 am

smithfield had what other clubs would see as draconian rule sets including suspended games for not wearing proper attire on game day, suspensions for yellow cards and suspensions for missing training like phfc just did..but for that club it worked and it worked very well..at other clubs it may have led to walk outs..keep in mind that the league had them on a short rein so it was also part necessity..credit to thommo for that strong stance which produced great results..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Inallseriousness » Tue May 16, 2017 11:31 am

The 'pool' of committed footballers at D4 - D7 level is getting smaller every year but that is perhaps why people play at that level. It takes years of hard work and a massive culture change to alter it.....the ones that do are generally getting the results.....Smithfield, Lockleys, BOS are recent examples.

It's a tough gig and a long road, good luck all :D
Inallseriousness
Under 16s

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 106 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League