Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 am

Indeed. This is why I have constantly argued with everyone about this. You have to be outcome focused, not process focused to get where I am coming from. Which is very rare in football circles....

If you want to be a professional club that climbs divisions and wins flags - then that's your outcome, the processes that are then designed need to match that. If you want to develop juniors and provide a social link to the community - then that is your outcome, and the processes need to match that.

If you want to be financially sustainable and survive the short term - that is your outcome. Define the process to match that.

So often we have these processes (the rules and practices which impact our organisational culture) which don't match the desired outcome.

So yes, HT, we might be different clubs and have different desired outcomes, but the way humans collaborate and work together and the levers we can pull to change it are constant, definable and measurable.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby jo172 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:44 am

As an example of what Morell was talking about I vividly remember one day out at Henley in our first foray into D1 where we had quite strict rules about showing up to games in black slacks, leather shoes and club polo. That year we had a series of off-field issues (and some plain old bad luck/unpreparedness for the step up to D1) and ended up winning 2 games.

Henley meanwhile lead the ladder at the end of the minor round and ultimately won a flag.

Didn't stop some old timers from Henley, remarking in front of me, "look how professional Payneham look when they rock up, why can't we do that?".

Classic failure to prioritise outcome over process by both camps in this story.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 11:47 am

jo172, without wanting to sound creepy, you just gave me a brain orgasm.
morell
Coach

Postby Half Back Flanker » Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 pm

At the end of the day Morell, if you want your club to climb the divisions and get out of Div 7 you need to commit and build success. That doesn't happen playing Pokemon Go or being a sooky la la. That happens through a group of committed people with a common goal working together. I understand there are blokes these days that wanna hug in a circle an sing kum ba yah, but there is also blokes who are committed footballers. Now you contradict yourself because you very rarely miss a session, so lets move on from this crap, get talking about this weeks footy!!!!
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby zedman » Tue May 16, 2017 2:32 pm

the great man has spoken!

whats this?

Mitchell Park Westminster OS Leck, Nicholas Pending 2017-05-16
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1078 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Mitchell Park to increase their percentage and tie up top spot at the half way mark with a comfortable win over Fluni.
Lutheran to continue the Units horror run with an away win.
St.Pauls should have enough fire power to keep their motor running against Adel Uni.
Will Para Hills bounce back and will the extra colour on their guensey get them over the line with the journey up Milne Road?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Half Back Flanker wrote:At the end of the day Morell, if you want your club to climb the divisions and get out of Div 7 you need to commit and build success.
There you go, so that is the desired outcome that we've all agreed upon. So what are the processes that we need to implement to ensure our chances of reaching that outcome?

Half Back Flanker wrote:That happens through a group of committed people with a common goal working together.
Exactly, so an agreed upon desired outcome. That has to come first, as it dictates what processes and procedures you implement.

Ergo, back to the original point, if the desired outcome for Para Hills is to increase training attendance, I think the process they implemented was incorrect. OKC! effectively confirmed this. Classic case of sticking to the process rather than focusing on the outcome. It's not right or wrong, it just doesn't match. It's counter intuitive. To me anyway.

They lost a game because of it. It might hurt, it might not, but it doesn't change the lack of organisational cultural knowledge exhibited.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Mitchell Park to increase their percentage and tie up top spot at the half way mark with a comfortable win over Fluni.
Wont be easy, they were evens with TTG at quarter time and just ran out of legs. I am hoping to not have to play on Chesson :?

Lightning McQueen wrote:Lutheran to continue the Units horror run with an away win.
If you're looking for an upset, this is your chance.

Lightning McQueen wrote:St.Pauls should have enough fire power to keep their motor running against Adel Uni.
50/50 game

Lightning McQueen wrote:Will Para Hills bounce back and will the extra colour on their guensey get them over the line with the journey up Milne Road?
I am not sure what this means I need to de-LM it.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 16, 2017 3:11 pm

morell wrote:I am not sure what this means I need to de-LM it.

TTg are black and red.. PH are black, red and white
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby human_torpedo » Tue May 16, 2017 3:13 pm

morell wrote:
Half Back Flanker wrote:At the end of the day Morell, if you want your club to climb the divisions and get out of Div 7 you need to commit and build success.
There you go, so that is the desired outcome that we've all agreed upon. So what are the processes that we need to implement to ensure our chances of reaching that outcome?

Half Back Flanker wrote:That happens through a group of committed people with a common goal working together.
Exactly, so an agreed upon desired outcome. That has to come first, as it dictates what processes and procedures you implement.

Ergo, back to the original point, if the desired outcome for Para Hills is to increase training attendance, I think the process they implemented was incorrect. OKC! effectively confirmed this. Classic case of sticking to the process rather than focusing on the outcome. It's not right or wrong, it just doesn't match. It's counter intuitive. To me anyway.

They lost a game because of it. It might hurt, it might not, but it doesn't change the lack of organisational cultural knowledge exhibited.

Again, you're commenting and making opinions and judgements based purely on speculation because you actually don't know what they are trying to achieve.

OKC has stated training and football are down on his priority list. No shock, that's the case for a lot of players at a lot of clubs in div 5-7.. That doesn't mean Para Hills are wrong in doing what they are doing. How do you know it wasn't already planned in previous meetings with player and coach? you don't. What if Cree and Hanson were the only 2 players on the list not training so were dealt with accordingly? But, in doing so, every other player is training knowing that this is how things are? Is that a failure of process? I think not. Is going against your rules and what you are trying to establish as a culture within a club worth it for winning a round 6 game when you were already undefeated? Or is the message sent perhaps more valuable long term?

Every club is different so stop tyring to tar everything with the same brush. Players lack commitment and prioritise football less across the board, we have accepted that, stop trying to bring down people who are actively trying to establish ways of changing that, just because you disagree with the methods and process
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Zartan wrote:
morell wrote:I am not sure what this means I need to de-LM it.

TTg are black and red.. PH are black, red and white

Milne Road is the most probable journey.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby OKC! » Tue May 16, 2017 3:42 pm

human_torpedo wrote:
morell wrote:

Again, you're commenting and making opinions and judgements based purely on speculation because you actually don't know what they are trying to achieve.

OKC has stated training and football are down on his priority list. No shock, that's the case for a lot of players at a lot of clubs in div 5-7.. That doesn't mean Para Hills are wrong in doing what they are doing. How do you know it wasn't already planned in previous meetings with player and coach? you don't. What if Cree and Hanson were the only 2 players on the list not training so were dealt with accordingly? But, in doing so, every other player is training knowing that this is how things are? Is that a failure of process? I think not. Is going against your rules and what you are trying to establish as a culture within a club worth it for winning a round 6 game when you were already undefeated? Or is the message sent perhaps more valuable long term?

Every club is different so stop tyring to tar everything with the same brush. Players lack commitment and prioritise football less across the board, we have accepted that, stop trying to bring down people who are actively trying to establish ways of changing that, just because you disagree with the methods and process

Let me make myself clear. I was not playing last weekend regardless.

Having said that I know that if you dont train without valid reasons u dont play.

I do not mind playing reseves if I dont train. No one from para hills cares about that.

You are having a go at a bloke for apparently dropping guys that dont train, yet if he let peope do what they want, you would complain about that.

Div 7 footy is never going to have 100% commitment from players. But to say the coach is doing wrong is unfounded. You guys worry about your own clubs and thier processes and we do ours.

Although this is in a quote it is directed to no one in particular, i just find it a funny topic of discussion. We had 5.or 6 unavailable and lost by a couple of goals.

We will be fine.
The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.
OKC!
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 42 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 3:45 pm

human_torpedo wrote:
morell wrote:

I was going on carey's and others subsequent posts where they said they hadn't trained, so they got dropped to set standards raa di raa raa.

human_torpedo wrote:OKC has stated training and football are down on his priority list. No shock, that's the case for a lot of players at a lot of clubs in div 5-7.. That doesn't mean Para Hills are wrong in doing what they are doing. How do you know it wasn't already planned in previous meetings with player and coach? you don't. What if Cree and Hanson were the only 2 players on the list not training so were dealt with accordingly? But, in doing so, every other player is training knowing that this is how things are? Is that a failure of process? I think not. Is going against your rules and what you are trying to establish as a culture within a club worth it for winning a round 6 game when you were already undefeated? Or is the message sent perhaps more valuable long term?
Because of carey and others posts. Maybe carey got the wrong end of the stick I don't know.

human_torpedo wrote:Every club is different so stop tyring to tar everything with the same brush. Players lack commitment and prioritise football less across the board, we have accepted that, stop trying to bring down people who are actively trying to establish ways of changing that, just because you disagree with the methods and process
Organisation culture, change management and fundamental human psychology are very well founded, researched and proven academic fields.

If what carey said is accurate, then IMO they implemented the wrong process to change it.

That's just my thoughts though, you do you.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 3:51 pm

At the end of the day, we've gained a few pages on those interlopers in the D6 thread for the annual safooty AdFL thread of the year. So everyone's a winner.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 4:02 pm

safooty is such an odd place sometimes. For the first time in god knows how long there has actually been an interesting and engaging conversation about footy.

And people complain and want to shut it down! Whats wrong with chatting about what we'd do in certain circumstances or not?

"I like to center the ball from the pocket and think its wrong to take a shot"
Don't tell me what to do! You stick to what you want and well stick to ours

"Personally I like coneless drills as it encourages adaptability"
Don't tell me what to do! You stick to what you want and well stick to ours

I am not having a go at Para Hills or their coach or anyone, I just have a different thought process on what I would do. Would be a pretty boring place if all we did was give each other matey back slaps, exchange in jokes and offer up glib cliches - which is 90% of safooty.

Been a great chat IMO!
morell
Coach

Postby OKC! » Tue May 16, 2017 4:07 pm

Wasnt a go at anyone.
The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.
OKC!
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 42 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Nah I know, just another safooty oddity.
morell
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue May 16, 2017 4:52 pm

OKC! wrote:Wasnt a go at anyone.

We know, didn't even remotely come across that way either., so don't worry ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Its bucketing down here.

Might take the OKC! route. :D
morell
Coach

Postby old farmer » Tue May 16, 2017 7:06 pm

morell wrote:Its bucketing down here.

Might take the OKC! route. :D

What ? Put a skirt on and go to netball..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts....
old farmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League