The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby tipper » Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 pm

morell wrote:I think its 6 from "SA" and 5 from the SANFL.

i see where the discrepancy is. the afl site has listed brandan parfitt as being drafted from NT thunder, not the roosters. does that mean that it should be 6 from SA, or does that mean we only had 5 drafted last year?

if there are other anomolies like that id suggest that it could put your graph out still. anyway, its only a small issue ;)
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby am Bays » Tue May 16, 2017 5:17 pm

Six taken in the main draft (Hayward, Young, Cox, Rioli, Graham) Parfitt listed as NT Thunder even though he played at North Adelaide

11 taken in the Rookie draft so 16 taken from SANFL in 2016.

Given the changes in the draft over the years you need to include the rookie draft as well given the Main draft is now only 70-80 selections compared to the old days of 120-130 when 40 were taken.

You also can't compare the early 90s to now as back then Victorian clubs had their zones and reserves so used the draft to top up from interstate.

Whilst the 19s finished in 1991, clubs still had their best 19s/zone players on their books in 1992-93 - think Baby Bombers.

Lies, damn lies and statistics

You need a few footnotes to give your figure some statistical validity, Morell.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby am Bays » Tue May 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:
Jim05 wrote:A couple of the NEAFL clubs have enquired about joining it as has atleast 1 of the Crows/Port and were told they would be looked at but would have to play all their games in Melbourne. With the funds drain on the AFL by the likes of the Suns, Giants and AFLW they would have zero interest in helping a Reserves comp get up and running. Believe it or not a couple of the big clubs in Melbourne still pull the strings
All valid points and obstacles requiring a solution.

I am sure of we can put a man on the moon humanity can solve the riddle that is the an AFL Reserves.

The difference is somebody wanted to put a man on the moon. Not sure the want or desire is there from the AFL to have a Reserves comp and it's definitely not there from the majority of clubs.

Of course not. The WAFL and SANFL take care of 4 clubs between them, the NEAFL is funded by the AFL and the VFL take care of the rest. Dead money.

There's more chance of UK Fan and Booney agreeing on the AFL reserve teams in the SANFL than an AFL reserves team competition starting up
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 16, 2017 5:26 pm

human_torpedo wrote:The only issue for me is that why does it stop people going and supporting your club against 'pure' SANFL sides like years gone by? I still went and watched the Eagles whenever possible, despite my disdain for what has happened to the integrity of the comp, in the end Eagles v Centrals for example will always be a game I follow with interest, despite what the reserves sides are doing..

Because our clubs are still part of a competition that has 2 clubs that don't care about winning, which directly and indirectly affects my club.

If Eagles play Centrals this week, and both have played the Ravens in the past fortnight, their position on the ladder is affected by how hard the Ravens tried, rested players, top up players, stars coming back from injury, coach even at the game etc etc etc. The comp is not even.

Ravens even assure the grassroots clubs that their top up players will play a certain amount of games back with them to ensure they qualify for finals, even if they are critical to their SANFL set up. How is that taking the 130+ year competition seriously????
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby UK Fan » Tue May 16, 2017 5:41 pm

morell wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
morell wrote:
1. Increase AFL squads to 65, remove rookie list but instead have a list of dedicated reserves players. Players can be upgraded or downgraded.
2. Include mid year AFL top up draft to replace injuries.
3. Fund AFL Reserves - perhaps sell the rights to the games to another TV channel. Ensure branding is consistent.
4. Merge SANFL with AdFL, make current SANFL teams the "Premier League", include promotion and relegation.
5. Remove/merge SANFL junior strayucture with AdFL junior development.

I don't give a **** about success rate of rookie drafts.

Why would you exclude a sa player being drafted via a rookie draft ???

Is he not drafted ?? Why did Eddy play afl football this year if not drafted ???

Ask a south fan why Brett eddy isn't playing for south this year. Guess what they'll say.

Whilst we appreciate you shit canning sa football with your half truths and skim read articles/graphs.

Only 6 drafted you are clueless!!!! Hopefully that sinks in soon.
Last edited by UK Fan on Tue May 16, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby morell » Tue May 16, 2017 5:47 pm

UK Fan wrote:
morell wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
morell wrote:
1. Increase AFL squads to 65, remove rookie list but instead have a list of dedicated reserves players. Players can be upgraded or downgraded.
3. Fund AFL Reserves - perhaps sell the rights to the games to another TV channel. Ensure branding is consistent.
4. Merge SANFL with AdFL, make current SANFL teams the "Premier League", include promotion and relegation.

I don't give a **** about success rate if rookie drafts.

Why would you exclude a sa player being drafted via rookie draft ???

Is he not drafted ?? Why did Eddy play afl football this year if not drafted ???

Ask a south fan why Brett eddy isn't playing for south this year. Guess what they'll say.

Whilst we appreciate you shit canning sa football with your half truths and skim read articles/graphs.

You should care, because they're more than likely not going to be playing AFL. A kid drafted in the top 20 of the National Draft - is.

If you don't care about kids from SA playing at the highest level then really there is no point even discussing any of this with you as your priorities are askew.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby stan » Tue May 16, 2017 5:56 pm

morell wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
morell wrote:
UK Fan wrote:[quote="morell"]

You should care, because they're more than likely not going to be playing AFL. A kid drafted in the top 20 of the National Draft - is.

If you don't care about kids from SA playing at the highest level then really there is no point even discussing any of this with you as your priorities are askew.[/quote]
I see what your saying mate but a national draft or even top 20 doesnt guarantee you a prolonged career. Rookie drafted players have had long careers. For example Heath Grundy was taken as a rookie.
For example Jimmy Toumpass taken at pick 4 in the national draft. ;)
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby UK Fan » Tue May 16, 2017 6:25 pm

morell wrote:
RB wrote:
morell wrote:It's simply progress. There is almost nothing anyone could've done or can do. Blaming this person or that person or this club or that organisation or this schedule or the fact there are AFL Reserves is simply covering up the cold hard truth of it all....

The SANFL is no longer relevant as a product for people to consume and has been eaten up in a competitive marketplace with time poor customers.

Progress my arse. You could demolish the Louvre and put up a ten story carpark and call it progress... :roll:
If that carpark resulted in a superior product that people were willing to pay money for which underwrote and supported the "art" I was passionate about, then absolutely I would.

RB wrote:
morell wrote:I am sorry if that means the SANFL gets slightly compromised,

Lol 'slightly' compromised. There is no slightly. Integrity is absolute. Nothing can be 'slightly' compromised, especially not the competitive nature and soul of the league.
It is slightly compromised to everyone but the zealots. Of which you are clearly one.

The AFL teams don't dominate, they haven't won flag after flag. It's slightly compromised based on every reasonable measure. Of which the "soul" of the competition, whatever that means, isn't one of them.

Yes, its not ideal. Yes, we should all aim for a better solution.

RB wrote:
morell wrote:the AFL teams being competitive and successful is more important than the purity and sanctity of the SANFL competition. None of you will like hearing that, but it's correct nonetheless.

The statement is neither correct nor incorrect - as the relative importance of the AFL and SANFL is entirely subjective, it cannot possibly be right or wrong.
No it is correct, because the AFL has the hearts and minds of the paying public, the SANFL, does not. Ergo, if we want to ensure the long term sustainability and viability of the sport in this state, the AFL has to be the priority as that's what people want. And it is the priority - because people much smarter than you or I have understood the above.

RB wrote:The statement is, however, dim-witted and juvenile.
Sure thing. Keep on believing.

Meanwhile more people attended a regular season AFL game in **** ing Shanghai than the SANFL have seen in years.

Last years SANfL Grand Final had a higher attendance than an AFL Preliminary Final for last season.

Sanfl salary cap $300k
Afl salary cap $10 mill

We shouldn't even compete but.......

It's just a matter of perception big fella

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Tue May 16, 2017 6:32 pm

morell wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
morell wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
5. Remove/merge SANFL junior strayucture with AdFL junior development

If you don't care about kids from SA playing at the highest level then really there is no point even discussing any of this with you as your priorities are askew.

Surely a guy involved with Mitchell Park FC can count past 6 ??

17 SA footballers on AFL lists via the drafts this year and you want to claim this is a declining trend over several years via a graph ??

This along with SAs performances at the U18 national championships over the last few years would suggest yet again you have NFI about this subject.

Read an article online for 30 seconds and quite happily labelled sa football incompetent as a conclusion. Cos you really like Port and the AFL.

Ain't u awesome.

In your defence you ain't unique.

Weve had to put up with many like yourself over the years. The arguments/arrogance don't change just the Usernames.

Let me know if you need me to explain anything else to you SA football related Frankenstein.

Always happy to help. Trust me on that. ;)

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed May 17, 2017 6:34 am

Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Perhaps we should kick out the Crows and Power as draft picks have reduced, it's the only possible reason.
Good point Morell, it seems the SANFL was a better breeding ground before the AFL reserves came in.
Enjoy your cake.
I agree, would love an AFL reserves comp and a streamlined junior development pathway in SA.

Be careful with that cake, it can make you fat!

Will never be a AFL reserves comp, you completely forget that the Vic clubs still hold the balance of power and are not interested in the slightest at getting one off the ground. They are quite happy to run their own 10 team comp in Melbourne where no travel is required

And that's the irony. The two SA AFL clubs only exist to benefit the AVFL. a reserved comp will never exist unless it benefits the Vic's.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Booney » Wed May 17, 2017 9:13 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:Yep, page 331.

What thread has created the most pages on this forum over the years?
This one surely will give it a crack.

A couple of the country footy leagues have threads over 1000 pages long.

I'll tag you in the "running sheet" thread. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed May 17, 2017 9:46 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:Yep, page 331.

What thread has created the most pages on this forum over the years?
This one surely will give it a crack.

A couple of the country footy leagues have threads over 1000 pages long.

I'll tag you in the "running sheet" thread. :lol:

The country threads continue year to year.
The ammos start a fresh each year but I remember a div 4 or 5 thread about 8-9 years ago that was quality crap and would have reached many many pages.
FC would remember as she had a busy time that year moderating it! ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed May 17, 2017 10:57 pm

I think the shits thread is the overall winner.

The Ammos start fresh each year for a reason :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby morell » Thu May 18, 2017 9:52 am

UK Fan wrote:Surely a guy involved with Mitchell Park FC can count past 6 ??
It's a struggle, but being a Port fan I had to learn to count to 37

UK Fan wrote:17 SA footballers on AFL lists via the drafts this year and you want to claim this is a declining trend over several years via a graph ??

6 in the national draft. That's the point, as I would assume you know that is where the majority of talent comes from. You understand that it's in order right? As in, SA kids getting drafted in the Rookie draft instead of the National draft is indication of a drop in quality....

UK Fan wrote:This along with SAs performances at the U18 national championships over the last few years would suggest yet again you have NFI about this subject.
K.

SA's performances indicate that they're perhaps peaked at that age and might be initially physically stronger but not that they've had their talent developed properly.

Are you saying you're better able to identify talent the AFL scouts, list managers and development coaches?

UK Fan wrote:Read an article online for 30 seconds and quite happily labelled sa football incompetent as a conclusion. Cos you really like Port and the AFL.

Ain't u awesome.

In your defence you ain't unique.

Weve had to put up with many like yourself over the years. The arguments/arrogance don't change just the Usernames.

Let me know if you need me to explain anything else to you SA football related Frankenstein.

Always happy to help. Trust me on that. ;)
Cool story bro. I think its pretty clear that your apparent expert opinions on SA football are clouded with a bitterness, hatred and deeply held resentment.

Also, you still haven't answered my question.

If you give your kids $50 to buy your missus a present, who paid for the present?
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Thu May 18, 2017 10:17 am

stan wrote:I see what your saying mate but a national draft or even top 20 doesnt guarantee you a prolonged career. Rookie drafted players have had long careers. For example Heath Grundy was taken as a rookie.
For example Jimmy Toumpass taken at pick 4 in the national draft. ;)
No I totally agree. It's an indication of trend though.
morell
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Bone’s beef: Where have the SANFL crowds gone?
Chris McDermott, The Advertiser
35 minutes ago
Subscriber only

SANFL crowds are always a very unpopular topic to put under the microscope but facts are clear and indisputable. We have a problem and its getting worse.

When less than 1500 turn up at Woodville Oval to watch the premiership favourites in Woodville-West Torrens take on the Crows, poor crowds can no longer be denied.

After five rounds of the 2017 season there is a trend forming. Four of the five best attendances have come at night. The other on Anzac Day.

Port Adelaide, Glenelg, Norwood and Sturt have all featured in two of them and 4799 is the biggest crowd figure so far.

The five worst crowds have come, (or failed to come) on Saturday afternoons, 1348 the worst and that was to a SANFL Showdown when Port Adelaide defeated Adelaide at Maughan Thiem Hyundai Oval.

The Crows have featured in three of the five worst corwds so far this season and 12 of the 25 games played so far have attracted crowds of less than 2100.

That number has risen from nine of the first 25 games the previous season.

In 2016, a year where crowd numbers noticeably slumped, 5000 witnessed the season opener, down to 3500 in 2017.

Nine times attendances broke the 3000 barrier, which is happened just six times so far in 2017.

It is time to find a solution and put every aspect of the SANFL on the table to find the right model for the foreseeable future. Nothing must be taken for granted.

Not when it is played. Not why it is played. Not how it is played. Not who it is played by.

The Crows and the Power have not been the magic bullet everyone imagined.

The two teams gave the competition a brief spike but it died just as quickly.

Less than 1500 to a Crows game says it all.

Get it right or it will die. Get it right means get what it stands for and get who it appeals to.

If it isn’t a good product, fans will not go.

Don't use it as a training ground for future AFL rules, like the last touch out of bounds. Don’t butcher the SANFL to feather the AFL’s nest.

Whispers in corridors continue about a possible move by the Crows to the VFL.

If one goes the other will surely follow.

The loss of the two AFL clubs reserve teams will have little impact on the game at SANFL level, except to the diehard supporters that turn up rain, hail or shine.

Suburban clubs do not appear to be suffering a similar fate.

Gary McIntosh has done remarkable things with Payneham Norwood Union in the Adelaide Footy League.

Mark Ricciuto, Dale Fleming, David Pittman, Richard Kelly, Chris Thredgold and others have done likewise at Glenunga. Kids are turning up in massive numbers.

The women are sure to follow with the explosion of their game. Both great for participation and for the game at that level.

We fear at times for the game at the highest level, the AFL, but we turn up regardless.

We must fear equally if not more for the game at the level below. The game we all remember and the clubs we all loved.

There must be a solution, not just a resignation.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu May 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Interesting change of narrative.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Thu May 18, 2017 12:55 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Interesting change of narrative.

I'm not sure what his point is, for that matter I'm assuming he doesn't, either.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu May 18, 2017 12:57 pm

I think he's saying, it doesn't matter what the causes of the crowds dropping are, we need to look past that and work out how the SANFL is going to go forward. He's not quite saying stop the blame game, but he's getting close.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby morell » Thu May 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Hes starting to understand (quite an achievement for Bone) that the SANFL's problems are broad, complicated, multifaceted and at a macro level.

Sounds familiar ;)
morell
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL