HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby herewegoagain » Mon May 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Some good points but until 1st round is complete Id be careful in season predictions. Onkas and Mt Barker have had difficult early draws. Onkas pushed Blackwood and then beat Uraidla. Mt. Barker went down narrowly to Hahndorf away. Both those clubs have a decent population at their fingertips. But yes a few others have a battle ahead. Many teams are now involved in Auskick which is so vital. Give us a report in June. A more accurate analysis can then be given.
herewegoagain
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Cummins-Kapinnie

Postby cracka » Mon May 15, 2017 6:43 pm

I think most clubs have shit early draws because of all the breaks. Our 1st half of the season is

Bye
Rd2 TV
Easter
Rd3 Loby
Rd4 Echunga
Rd5 B/wood
Rd6 Uraid
Interleague
Rd7 Hahn
Rd8 Lofty
June long weekend
Rd9 Mt B
Bye
Rd11 TV
Country Champs
Rds 12 to 18 no breaks.

Hard to keep any momentum going with so many breaks. Not sure why Interleague is this weekend & not the June long weekend as per usual.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby BurntToast » Mon May 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Afterthesiren wrote:As I see it and this is only my opinion. Only 3 clubs can win the flag this year. Blackwood and Hahndorf will likely play off in the grand final. Uraidla is a smokey to interrupt this. The 6 other clubs are just making up the numbers. At least 3 of those 6 clubs are way off the mark and will struggle to win many games at all. The gap between top and bottom is as wide as it has ever been for the last 15 years. The 2 big town clubs (Blackwood/Hahndorf) have too much of an advantage given their location and financial status. Mt Barker should be in this field too and they should be disappointed they are not. So unless like Uraidla who have had a constant injection of funds over the years you simply have no chance of success in Div 1. The only slim chance you have is to pump incredible amounts of money into the A grade squad in the faint hope of a flag. It worked for a Echunga (but at what cost) and Torrens Valley got close. One guarantee is that if a club chooses this option it will tear at the fabric and culture of your club. The reality is if you are in Div 1 you will need to pull all tricks out of the bag including massive amounts of money to be a contender with those large scale clubs. Is it really worth it. Personally I don't think so. Perhaps it's time to have a smaller more elite Div 1 competition and a larger Div 2 to allow some of those smaller town clubs the chance to put some silverware in their cabinet. Not sure of the answer but there's got to be a better option.

I don't nessarily agree on the assessment that you need money to win premierships in Div 1. Uradlia didn't spend the money that so many think they did during their golden era. They developed a culture that players wanted to be a part of, add to that they had a terrific coaching staff and sound leaders on the field. Div 1 is a fierce competition, where only the strong clubs survive to see sustained success. Remember, Hahndorf were nothing special for some time prior to their 2015 premiership. They had some very talented juniors return (Matsen and Jaensch to name a couple) and chased after players they needed to fill holes in their team. I do agree that it appears Hahndorf, Blackwood and Uradlia (in that order) are the main chances at the pointy end of season. I wouldn't rule out Onkas, they looked impressive at Uradlia on the weekend and Mt Barker are still an unknown. Echunga have improved, but much of that group are still very young from my sources. Might fight with Torrens Valley (they have slipped) for that 5th spot If Onkas and Mt Barker fail? Leaves lobethal that have dropped well of the standards they set last year and Mt Lofty who jumped back into Div 1 too soon I feel, they have struggled to be competitive since their return.
BurntToast

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Blackwood

Postby BurntToast » Mon May 15, 2017 8:44 pm

cracka wrote:I think most clubs have shit early draws because of all the breaks. Our 1st half of the season is

Bye
Rd2 TV
Easter
Rd3 Loby
Rd4 Echunga
Rd5 B/wood
Rd6 Uraid
Interleague
Rd7 Hahn
Rd8 Lofty
June long weekend
Rd9 Mt B
Bye
Rd11 TV
Country Champs
Rds 12 to 18 no breaks.

Hard to keep any momentum going with so many breaks. Not sure why Interleague is this weekend & not the June long weekend as per usual.

Echunga play 1 game over the next 4 weeks I heard today. This years schedule is a mess.
BurntToast

Postby Afterthesiren » Mon May 15, 2017 11:06 pm

It would be fair to say Torrens Valley, Echunga and Lobethal are paying over's just to compete in Div 1. Mt Lofty are in a similar bracket but have a larger town with a high school etc to draw from and as a result their junior numbers should always be healthier than the other 3 mentioned. There is no way the other 3 clubs can successfully sustain themselves for a long period of time against the likes of Blackwood, Hahndorf and Mt Barker. The gap between the big 3 and the little 3 is just far too distant. Realistically there is probably only 6 clubs that can be successful in Div 1 given its current environment. And the landscape won't change either so it will be up to the individual clubs to choose their own destiny. Div 2 would be the likely retreat or I can see some mergers happening in the next 3-5 years, maybe earlier.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Tue May 16, 2017 9:23 pm

BurntToast wrote:
cracka wrote:I think most clubs have shit early draws because of all the breaks. Our 1st half of the season is

Bye
Rd2 TV
Easter
Rd3 Loby
Rd4 Echunga
Rd5 B/wood
Rd6 Uraid
Interleague
Rd7 Hahn
Rd8 Lofty
June long weekend
Rd9 Mt B
Bye
Rd11 TV
Country Champs
Rds 12 to 18 no breaks.

Echunga play 1 game over the next 4 weeks I heard today. This years schedule is a mess.

True about Echunga and Torrens Valley in the same boat with byes in the 2 rounds between inter league and June long week end.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby sideview » Wed May 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Also noticed TV have every team off the bye for the year.
sideview
Mini-League

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Meadows

Postby TooNice » Wed May 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Amongst various things, having two divisions with uneven numbers of teams has created this. Byes would be a lot less with say 8 Div One, and 10 Div 2 teams, instead of the 9 and 9 we have now. It is those clubs that sit near the middle that are most affected if some sort of relegation / promotion system was developed to at least keep Div 1 with an even number of teams.
TooNice
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times

Postby cracka » Wed May 17, 2017 6:22 pm

TooNice wrote:Amongst various things, having two divisions with uneven numbers of teams has created this. Byes would be a lot less with say 8 Div One, and 10 Div 2 teams, instead of the 9 and 9 we have now. It is those clubs that sit near the middle that are most affected if some sort of relegation / promotion system was developed to at least keep Div 1 with an even number of teams.

Correct. Hopefully someone will move divs next year so numbers even up again. Having the interleague game this weekend instead of the June long weekend hasn't helped either.
cracka
Veteran

Postby BurntToast » Wed May 17, 2017 10:02 pm

cracka wrote:
TooNice wrote:Amongst various things, having two divisions with uneven numbers of teams has created this. Byes would be a lot less with say 8 Div One, and 10 Div 2 teams, instead of the 9 and 9 we have now. It is those clubs that sit near the middle that are most affected if some sort of relegation / promotion system was developed to at least keep Div 1 with an even number of teams.

Correct. Hopefully someone will move divs next year so numbers even up again. Having the interleague game this weekend instead of the June long weekend hasn't helped either.

The only club that would potentially come up would be Nairne, and that is only if they win the flag. No point coming up if you can't win a Div 2 preimership. They do have a good junior program, and from all reports are finically sound, which are added benefits for a move to Div 1. Bridgewater are very happy where they are, and that doesn't leave anyone else. I won't be surprised if the division make ups remain the same next year.
BurntToast

Postby Animus » Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 pm

Flagstaff Hill coming in next season will take it back to an even 10 teams
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Thu May 18, 2017 12:15 am

Animus wrote:Flagstaff Hill coming in next season will take it back to an even 10 teams

Source on that and what about Happy Valley?
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby cracka » Thu May 18, 2017 1:46 am

Animus wrote:Flagstaff Hill coming in next season will take it back to an even 10 teams

But Blackwood are going to the SFL (we ll at least that's been the rumour for the last 6 years) so that will counteract Flaggies coming to the HFL. :D
cracka
Veteran

Postby Grumpy Old B » Thu May 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Any news on the squad for this weeks association game. Heard that all the Blackwood players have now made themselves unavailable. If true perhaps it is time for them to leave the HFL.
Grumpy Old B

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu May 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Grumpy Old B wrote:Any news on the squad for this weeks association game. Heard that all the Blackwood players have now made themselves unavailable. If true perhaps it is time for them to leave the HFL.

Perhaps? Never in question for me... pi55 em off!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby cracka » Thu May 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Grumpy Old B wrote:Any news on the squad for this weeks association game. Heard that all the Blackwood players have now made themselves unavailable. If true perhaps it is time for them to leave the HFL.

P155 Blackwood off to SFL or P155 senior interleague games off (keep them for the juniors as it actually means something for the players to represent the HFL)
cracka
Veteran

Postby Corona Man » Thu May 18, 2017 1:56 pm

cracka wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

P155 Blackwood off to SFL or P155 senior interleague games off (keep them for the juniors as it actually means something for the players to represent the HFL)

I agree Cracka the kids get a kick out of it. Seniors couldn't care less. This weekend has stuffed me up, coming back to SA and there is no local footy on!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby SecretInformant » Thu May 18, 2017 2:00 pm

The Mt Barker Courier Sport Facebook page listed the following players as selected:

Blackwood – P. Hopton, M. Minuzzo, S. Woods
Echunga -
Hahndorf – D. Hankin, M. Jaensch, D. Matsen, M. Roberts, J. Wittwer
Lobethal – T. Jenkin
Mt Barker – T. Hughes, S. Pfeiffer
Mt Lofty – S. Miles, M. Neilsen
Onkaparinga Valley – J. Collins, J. O’Brien, D. Schoell
Torrens Valley – J. Boras, T. Giadresco, K. Waterman
Uraidla – N. Amato, C. Clements, M. Tudor-Tsourtos

Pretty decent side if all of these players get on the park.. There's always acouple of late outs in these games.. 8)
SecretInformant

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby The Gimp » Fri May 19, 2017 9:53 am

Corona Man wrote:
cracka wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

I agree Cracka the kids get a kick out of it. Seniors couldn't care less. This weekend has stuffed me up, coming back to SA and there is no local footy on!

Corona, Div 2 is still playing this weekend and should be a 4 pretty good games of Footy.
Ironbank v Nairne 3 v 6
Meadows v Birdwood 5 v 7
Bridgy v Gum (at Callington) 1 v 4
Maccy v Kangy 8 v 9
The Gimp
Reserves

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby Corona Man » Fri May 19, 2017 9:59 am

Think I will head down to Prospect oval now!
Corona Man
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy