The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby JK » Thu May 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Was suggested to me recently by someone with close ties to the SANFL and a bucketload of experience, that the SANFL should switch to a Summer competition with all night games.

Whilst I told them I just can't see how it could ever happen - mainly because the AFL clubs seasons' won't line up (nor comply with their agreements), and the AFL and it's clubs won't like it competing with Womens footy -it made me think about it rather than just immediately scoffing.

Im still not a fan of it, but this person made a case interesting enough to try and imagine it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu May 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Warm summer nights watching the footy does sound tempting and we might be able to find a bit of a following, but numerous queries to work through.
All games, apart from Oct-Nov would have to be at night. How does this affect reserves who might have to start between 5-6 on hot days? What is the baseball arrangements at the Parade? Those clubs that share ovals with cricket clubs? would there be substantial extra costs of watering needed to maintain a duty of care to the players?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby VALE PARK » Thu May 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Baseball at Norwoid gonski.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby UK Fan » Thu May 18, 2017 6:30 pm

morell wrote:
UK Fan wrote:Surely a guy involved with Mitchell Park FC can count past 6 ??
It's a struggle, but being a Port fan I had to learn to count to 37

UK Fan wrote:17 SA footballers on AFL lists via the drafts this year and you want to claim this is a declining trend over several years via a graph ??

6 in the national draft. That's the point, as I would assume you know that is where the majority of talent comes from. You understand that it's in order right? As in, SA kids getting drafted in the Rookie draft instead of the National draft is indication of a drop in quality....

UK Fan wrote:This along with SAs performances at the U18 national championships over the last few years would suggest yet again you have NFI about this subject.
K.

SA's performances indicate that they're perhaps peaked at that age and might be initially physically stronger but not that they've had their talent developed properly.

Are you saying you're better able to identify talent the AFL scouts, list managers and development coaches?

UK Fan wrote:Read an article online for 30 seconds and quite happily labelled sa football incompetent as a conclusion. Cos you really like Port and the AFL.

Ain't u awesome.

In your defence you ain't unique.

Weve had to put up with many like yourself over the years. The arguments/arrogance don't change just the Usernames.

Let me know if you need me to explain anything else to you SA football related Frankenstein.

Always happy to help. Trust me on that. ;)
Cool story bro. I think its pretty clear that your apparent expert opinions on SA football are clouded with a bitterness, hatred and deeply held resentment.

Also, you still haven't answered my question.

If you give your kids $50 to buy your missus a present, who paid for the present?

Actually I did answer above. You probably just skim read past it. Like everything else.

Slow down take it in and see if you understand it this time.

You've spent the last 8-10 pages laying the boot into sa football at every opportunity u can.

But you're not bitter or resentful towards sa football ??

Really port fan.

Not resentful towards whicker and the sanfl at all. Surely not even you are stupid enough to believe that...
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 pm

This is like a never ending rally in tennis.
FFS someone hit a winner!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby amber_fluid » Thu May 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Wedgie wrote:This is like a never ending rally in tennis.
FFS someone hit a winner!

Tennis rally's are boring.......... this thread is always entertaining as there are always one or two posters who re-ignite the debate each year.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby PhilH » Thu May 18, 2017 7:25 pm

Looks like Summerton will be an out this week with 22 Power players available for Port in their 23 named squad.

It also begs the question what does the 22nd Power player do... no room at the Magpies league, not allowed to play SANFL reserves I am pretty sure.

Then again it could be a counting issue Jimmy Toumpas is named twice in forward pocket and centre half forward.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-05-18/selection-round-9-port

If nothing else I guess it proves why Port had to lose their zone.

No point investing money developing local talent to SANFL league level if there are just a few or even no league spots actually available.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby amber_fluid » Thu May 18, 2017 7:28 pm

PhilH wrote:Looks like Summerton will be an out this week with 22 Power players available for Port in their 23 named squad.

It also begs the question what does the 22nd Power player do... no room at the Magpies league, not allowed to play SANFL reserves I am pretty sure.

Then again it could be a counting issue Jimmy Toumpas is named twice in forward pocket and centre half forward.

No point investing money developing local talent to SANFL league level if there are just a few or even no league spots actually available.

Someone will be 'injured' between then and now.
Summerton will play.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Thu May 18, 2017 7:33 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
PhilH wrote:Looks like Summerton will be an out this week with 22 Power players available for Port in their 23 named squad.

I bet it's either Jimmy Toumpas or Jimmy Toumpas. :lol:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby amber_fluid » Thu May 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Pseudo wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

I bet it's either Jimmy Toumpas or Jimmy Toumpas. :lol:

It's a liability playing one Jimmy Toumpas...... imagine having two!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu May 18, 2017 8:10 pm

JK wrote:Was suggested to me recently by someone with close ties to the SANFL and a bucketload of experience, that the SANFL should switch to a Summer competition with all night games.

Whilst I told them I just can't see how it could ever happen - mainly because the AFL clubs seasons' won't line up (nor comply with their agreements), and the AFL and it's clubs won't like it competing with Womens footy -it made me think about it rather than just immediately scoffing.

Im still not a fan of it, but this person made a case interesting enough to try and imagine it.

It'd never happen as it wouldn't work logistically but I'd love to see a a summer season personally.
With kids sports and other things on it's hard to get to SANFL games for me during winter but Saturday night games at the Bay or even Mazda stadium enjoying a few beers during summer would be great.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu May 18, 2017 8:54 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

Summerton will play.

Absolutely that will happen!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby RB » Thu May 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Bone wrote:The Crows and the Power have not been the magic bullet everyone imagined.

Bwahahahaha!!! :lol:
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby stan » Thu May 18, 2017 10:02 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Summerton will play.

Absolutely that will happen!

No I reckon he might miss out on this one.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 18, 2017 10:07 pm

The "Paul Hunter" rule
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2325 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby Mic » Thu May 18, 2017 10:35 pm

Do the Power reserves have to play all their AFL-listed players?
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby JK » Fri May 19, 2017 1:03 am

For all the byes we have, why don't Crows and Port have them at the same time as their AFL sides?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby sib » Fri May 19, 2017 7:57 am

Mic wrote:Do the Power reserves have to play all their AFL-listed players?

Yes. All available players must play. Its not very often where Port will have a fully fit team. Summerton and Irra will play in the academy this week. Wait for the Port melts.
sib
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby morell » Fri May 19, 2017 10:14 am

UK Fan wrote:Actually I did answer above. You probably just skim read past it. Like everything else.

Slow down take it in and see if you understand it this time.

You've spent the last 8-10 pages laying the boot into sa football at every opportunity u can.

But you're not bitter or resentful towards sa football ??

Really port fan.

Not resentful towards whicker and the sanfl at all. Surely not even you are stupid enough to believe that...
Yes, sorry I did miss it. My bad.

So we've now confirmed by your admission that indeed the 16M (its closer to 14M but whatevs) consisted of mostly AFL money that was loaned to the SANFL. We're getting there UK Fan good stuff.

Since the AFL *loaned* the money, how do we think the SANFL are paying back the AFL, as in, where are they getting this money from? That's a lot of coin at a time where SANFL revenue was already pretty low. The AFL are pretty savvy operators, I don't think they'd just give it away...

Of course you and I know - the SANFL sold the license back and got in on the deal with the SMA to get Adelaide Oval gameday revenue.

Which goes ALLLLLLLL the way back to these couple of posts:

morell wrote:Just so I am clear, when Port got bailed out, do we subtract that from the 6.9 million we paid the SANFL over 15 years for our license or nah?

and
morell wrote:... and the gameday revenue from Adelaide Oval the SANFL get as part of the SMA? Do we calculate that too or nah?

You blokes all focus on one line item rather than the bottom of the balance sheet.

Which boils down to:

Port were in strife, got a cash injection from the SANFL in 2009 and 2010, needed more, the AFL stepped in and loaned some money to the SANFL to help both AFL clubs. A deal was structured whereby the SANFL would get their money back by selling the AFL license back to the clubs and AFL for a sum and then getting cut into a deal for the Adelaide Oval move. Which has generated massive amounts and ultimately balances the ledger and perhaps even turning a small profit for the SANFL out of Port Adelaide (and the Crows to be fair).

Thanks for playing UK Fan, you're a good egg.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 19, 2017 11:46 am

Port Adelaide skipper Steven Summerton may have to play in SANFL reserves
Warren Partland, The Advertiser
May 18, 2017 10:13pm
Subscriber only

PORT Adelaide Magpies captain Steven Summerton is almost certain to be forced to front in the SANFL reserves on Saturday after the club named 22 Power players in a 23-man squad for the clash against Woodville-West Torrens at Alberton Oval.

And if all 22 players are declared fit, there will be the extraordinary scenario of an AFL-listed player joining Summerton in the reserves game.

The wealth of AFL talent available to state league coach Chad Cornes is because of the incredibly low injury toll.

Only Nathan Krakouer (foot) is not an option for this week’s action.

Should Summerton, the state team vice-captain in the victory over the VFL last year, play in the reserves, it will follow his 200th league appearance for the club in the belting of reigning premier Sturt at Alberton Oval on May 7. The Power’s state league side had a bye last weekend.

Port has had discussions with Summerton this week and the club’s SANFL and academy manager Shane Grimm, football manager at Sturt last year when the Double Blues claimed the premiership, said the skipper was understanding of the situation.

“If he does play in the Bs, he understands,” Grimm said. “He knows the rules and is pretty good about it.

“We did not think this day would probably come but it has and he understands the rules and he is compliant with it. It is a good situation to be in but also not ideal in another way. There is a reasonable chance all 22 will play. But things can happen at training.”

Already loaded with AFL talent for the first five games, Port regained Dan Houston, Matt White, Aaron Young and Peter Ladhams this week.

Port has approached the SANFL seeking permission for an AFL-listed player to front in the reserves against the Eagles.

“We have to make sure we dot the i’s and cross the t’s,” Grimm said.

The Port situation is similar to that faced by Adelaide in last year’s final series when the Crows fielded an all AFL-player line-up, forcing then captain Luke Carey out of the side.

The rules have been altered this year and the AFL clubs are limited to 17 listed players for the finals.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2325 times
Been liked: 3505 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL