Falling Attendances

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Falling Attendances

Postby human_torpedo » Mon May 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Need to settle the program down and play a more regular timeslot.

I understand why they don't like to go head to head with Port or Adelaide AFL games but I think avoiding these clashes has led to a worse problem, which is that even the regular attendees get out of the routine of going. No one knows when the games are on.

The occasional Friday night game is fine (though not in the dead of winter...) and Anzac Day, Queen's Birthday etc but the bulk of matches should be on Saturday afternoon IMO. Or Sunday afternoon if the figures say that will deliver the best results. Either way, needs to be a regular thing.

I reckon I read in another Crowd thread in the past that Saturday afternoons on average have been the least attended games in recent times?

Yes the integrity lost on the comp by the presence of the AFL reserves sides has impacted, but plenty of other reasons that will come to the fore once the Reserves sides depart. If people think that is the only reason the comp is struggling they are kidding themselves
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 22, 2017 3:35 pm

human_torpedo wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Need to settle the program down and play a more regular timeslot.

I understand why they don't like to go head to head with Port or Adelaide AFL games but I think avoiding these clashes has led to a worse problem, which is that even the regular attendees get out of the routine of going. No one knows when the games are on.

The occasional Friday night game is fine (though not in the dead of winter...) and Anzac Day, Queen's Birthday etc but the bulk of matches should be on Saturday afternoon IMO. Or Sunday afternoon if the figures say that will deliver the best results. Either way, needs to be a regular thing.

I reckon I read in another Crowd thread in the past that Saturday afternoons on average have been the least attended games in recent times?

Yes the integrity lost on the comp by the presence of the AFL reserves sides has impacted, but plenty of other reasons that will come to the fore once the Reserves sides depart. If people think that is the only reason the comp is struggling they are kidding themselves

Ammo's play on Saturday afternoons, that would account for plenty.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon May 22, 2017 7:25 pm

At the end of the day, a change in prices, days, times, seasons, etc may make a difference of between zero and a couple of hundred extra but the SANFL will always be on life support while the AFL reserves remain in the comp and ruin the integrity of the comp, its not rocket science and I'm positive that even the pro AFL side's sheep know it deep down and they're just trolling (or more clueless than I give them credit for). We al know it.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby therisingblues » Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 pm

I'd also argue that it is easier for the SANFL to implement their change in prices, days, times, seasons, etc. because as a compromised, practice league, the will to be taken seriously is lacking.
We have gone from being a thorn in the AFL's side; the last bastion of non-compliance to their corporate empire, and a beacon to all those that despise the shape football has taken under their reign, to a pitiable institution over which many are discussing charity; no longer capable of drawing the disaffected.
If the vermin were kicked out tomorrow, I wonder if we would ever recover? Most seem to agree that it is already too late for that.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby goddy11 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:48 am

Do we also harm ourselves with scheduling matches playing at the same time as the PAP's or Crows. Suicide.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Booney » Fri May 26, 2017 12:09 pm

goddy11 wrote:Do we also harm ourselves with scheduling matches playing at the same time as the PAP's or Crows. Suicide.

I don't think so. No Crows fans go to watch the SANFL side anyway and Port crowds are steady, down, but steady. I don't think the AFL and SANFL Port sides clash at all, do they?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Hazydog » Fri May 26, 2017 12:35 pm

Booney wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Do we also harm ourselves with scheduling matches playing at the same time as the PAP's or Crows. Suicide.

I don't think so. No Crows fans go to watch the SANFL side anyway and Port crowds are steady, down, but steady. I don't think the AFL and SANFL Port sides clash at all, do they?

It certainly keeps a significant proportion of those supporters away who predominantly support either the Crows or Power, but also have an interest in an SANFL team as well. (Still cant figure out how supporters of Centrals, Sturt etc end up supporting the Power but that's another story)
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Pseudo » Fri May 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Hazydog wrote: (Still cant figure out how supporters of Centrals, Sturt etc end up supporting the Power but that's another story)

Why not? Port Power is a brand new club after all; it's not like there's any bad history between them.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby human_torpedo » Fri May 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Hazydog wrote: (Still cant figure out how supporters of Centrals, Sturt etc end up supporting the Power but that's another story)

Why not? Port Power is a brand new club after all; it's not like there's any bad history between them.

I hope this is a joke
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Booney » Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm

human_torpedo wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

I hope this is a joke

He is. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Booney wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:

Ammo's play on Saturday afternoons, that would account for plenty.

I was at Port District yesterday and they said exactly that. They would rather the magpies play at any other time than Saturday afternoon. The numbers were down for them and for the magpies. No-one wins
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Apachebulldog » Sun May 28, 2017 5:02 pm

Falling attendances NAH you supporters are blind there are an extra 4,000 Crow supporters at every SANFL game just askTriggy the saviour of the SANFL he will tell ya.
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Ian » Sun May 28, 2017 5:09 pm

In reality, this is all we got,

Apachebulldog wrote:*EDITED Falling attendances NAH you supporters are blind there are an extra 40 Crows paid support staff at every SANFL game just askTriggy the saviour of the SANFL he will tell ya.

some of them left their volunteer positions at SANFL clubs to prostitute themselves to the corporate monster
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Panther Pack » Sun May 28, 2017 7:20 pm

South v Port will next week will be smallest crowd of the year. Sub 1000 coming up.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:00 pm

Panther Pack wrote:South v Port will next week will be smallest crowd of the year. Sub 1000 coming up.

Will it be lower than last years 938???(i think it was) crowd??
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby therisingblues » Sun May 28, 2017 8:07 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:South v Port will next week will be smallest crowd of the year. Sub 1000 coming up.

Yep, 1st page of this thread

Lowest Recorded Crowd in SANFL History
But crowds have fallen again in 2016 and a fortnight ago just 938 people — the lowest recorded crowd in SANFL history — watched South Adelaide celebrate its 140th anniversary against Port Adelaide at Noarlunga.
(Sourced: Panther Pack, quoting Messenger article by David Penrose, page 4 "2016 SANFL Crowds".)
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Pseudo » Sun May 28, 2017 8:22 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Depends. Will the smears actively encourage their supporters not to attend the game this year, as they did last year?
Pseudo
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Pseudo wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Depends. Will the smears actively encourage their supporters not to attend the game this year, as they did last year?

Port play sat night so no need for them to promote it like last year

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Pseudo » Sun May 28, 2017 8:30 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Well then, no excuse for the remaining few Magpies fans not to make the trek. I'm sure that the crowd will swell to 1200, or maybe even 1250 punters.
Pseudo
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:53 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Port play Thursday night this week
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL