4%
St Peters OC
1%
Tea Tree Gully
8%

Total votes : 73

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2017

Postby jo172 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:59 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/amateur/modbury-hawks-stripped-of-home-adelaide-footy-league-division-one-game-after-supporter-abused-umpire/news-story/5762c22e8aa1c410dbd505b6c9f9dcab
Modbury Hawks stripped of home Adelaide Footy League division one game after supporter abused umpire
Matt Turner, Leader Messenger
13 minutes ago
Rosewater Football Club dumped from SAAFL due to player violence
Pre-game strip to ‘gee up’ footy players
AN ABUSIVE footy fan has cost Modbury Hawks the right to host its next home game – and the club is facing further sanctions because of repeated crowd trouble.

In the latest incident, umpires temporarily stopped the club’s division one reserves game against Goodwood Saints at Modbury Oval on May 13 so they could ask a matchday official to rebuke a vulgar supporter.

Adelaide Footy League chief executive John Kernahan condemned the fan’s outburst, during which a 15-year-old female goal umpire was “caught in the crossfire”.

The league last week chose to move Modbury’s June 24 match against local rival Tea Tree Gully to Thebarton Oval.

“Footy at our level is supposed to be fun for all, and those who either choose not to or cannot adhere to that charter will find themselves very quickly needing to come up with a plan to address these cultures,” Kernahan said.

“If the loss of a home match brings that to a head then we hope we can all move forward.”

Hawks chairman Jamie Thomas said the club was “struggling to come to terms with the enormity of the punishment”.

Kernahan said Modbury already had a suspended $950 fine hanging over the club after three separate incidents at its games last year, including:

■ A deaf boundary umpire being verbally abused during a division two away match versus SMOSH West Lakes;

■ The league tribunal finding Modbury spectators guilty of conduct unbecoming after a home game against St Peter’s and;

■ Umpires abandoning a Hawks under-18 clash with Henley after a supporter entered the field to participate in a melee.

The league has also suspended further punishments until the end of next season, including Modbury being stripped of another three home games, imposing the $950 suspended fine, receiving a further $2000 fine and losing the right to host a final this year.

Thomas said the club did not condone anti-social behaviour.

He said over the past 12 months it had banned a 197-game player and two spectators because of bad behaviour, including the man who abused the umpire against Goodwood.

Thomas said Modbury players apologised during that game to the teenage goal official, who had heard the abuse directed at another umpire.

“If anyone does step out of line, we do suspend them – we ban them from the club,” Thomas said.

“It doesn’t make for a popular president among their friends, but the ones that stick around understand the message.”

Thomas denied the Hawks had a problem with abusive fans and was disappointed the club would not be able to host Tea Tree Gully in a fixture he described as a community event.

“If I’ve got 500 supporters and I’ve got one (being abusive), that makes it less than one per cent,” he said.

“If it was a player or official doing it, I’d expect the league to come down hard on us.

“But we’re struggling to come to terms with the enormity of the punishment.”

Thomas said he had informed members via a “pretty stern” letter and social media posts about the suspended penalties, asking spectators not to let the club down.

He would not say whether the Hawks would appeal the sanctions.

Modbury will still be able to run the canteen and barbecue to raise money at the June 24 game at Thebarton.

Losing a home game against TTG, ouch.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Trader » Tue May 23, 2017 5:11 pm

Sounds harsh, but 4 incidents in 14 months demands action, good on the league.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby morell » Tue May 23, 2017 5:20 pm

No issue with that whatsoever.

Reckon the muppet who transgressed would be unpopular to say the least.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Sass! » Tue May 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Pretty shattering to say the least, the loss of the Modbury vs TTG match is a major blow for our club.. the behaviour and comments of the spectator were out of line, but the club has dealt with them immediately and they wont be seen around again.

its all fair to sit there and say that there has been 4 incidents in 14 months, but a couple of those were completely out of our control.. especially the person that entered the field during the melee as they had zero association or involvement with our club apart from knowing a player on that particular day.

Feel for our club president wo has worked tirelessly to try and avoid this sanction. All we can do is cop it and move on.
Sass!
Under 16s

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Bluedemon » Tue May 23, 2017 6:32 pm

Big loss for Modbury not having it as a home game as will lose lots of money over the bar and canteen but I agree with the penalty.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Sass! wrote:Pretty shattering to say the least, the loss of the Modbury vs TTG match is a major blow for our club.. the behaviour and comments of the spectator were out of line, but the club has dealt with them immediately and they wont be seen around again.

its all fair to sit there and say that there has been 4 incidents in 14 months, but a couple of those were completely out of our control.. especially the person that entered the field during the melee as they had zero association or involvement with our club apart from knowing a player on that particular day.

Feel for our club president wo has worked tirelessly to try and avoid this sanction. All we can do is cop it and move on.

I have sympathy for Clubs in this situation. How can you control all fans at games? May not be a regular supporter of the Club. I think if the Match Day Official is informed, and takes immediate action by removing offenders, then this should be enough. Different story if official of Club though.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby Q. » Tue May 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Makes you wonder what punishment North Pines copped after their MDO ran onto the field to belt a SPOSFC player this year
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby carey » Tue May 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Q. wrote:Makes you wonder what punishment North Pines copped after their MDO ran onto the field to belt a SPOSFC player this year

Probably nothing as PAC have already pulled out SAAFL wouldn't want an 8 team comp!

Doesn't sound good what happened in that game but obviously nothing has come out of it as that is was weeks ago??
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2802 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Footy Chick » Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 pm

Bluedemon wrote:Big loss for Modbury not having it as a home game as will lose lots of money over the bar and canteen but I agree with the penalty.

They still get to run the BBQ at Aldi arena and keep the profits from what I understand
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby bird of prey » Tue May 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Sass! wrote:Pretty shattering to say the least, the loss of the Modbury vs TTG match is a major blow for our club.. the behaviour and comments of the spectator were out of line, but the club has dealt with them immediately and they wont be seen around again.

I have sympathy for Clubs in this situation. How can you control all fans at games? May not be a regular supporter of the Club. I think if the Match Day Official is informed, and takes immediate action by removing offenders, then this should be enough. Different story if official of Club though.

You can't control all your fans. But it doesn't mean the club shouldn't be punished.
If you punish the club based on the action of a couple of fans, then the chance of dick heads doing these sorts of actions in the future get smaller. I dare say that the "lone gunman" would be more likely to pull his head in (or not bother turning up to any more games), otherwise I'm sure the members would turn on him pretty quickly.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby Trader » Tue May 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Bluedemon wrote:Big loss for Modbury not having it as a home game as will lose lots of money over the bar and canteen but I agree with the penalty.

They still get to run the BBQ at Aldi arena and keep the profits from what I understand

Yes, the article certainly indicated that would be the case.

Will the league charge a gate fee, and will that keep a number of fans away?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue May 23, 2017 11:35 pm

I've just had a look at the fixture - SHOC are scheduled at Aldi Arena that day so I dare say the game wont be at HQ after all
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Executive Member » Wed May 24, 2017 9:00 am

carey wrote:
Q. wrote:Makes you wonder what punishment North Pines copped after their MDO ran onto the field to belt a SPOSFC player this year

Probably nothing as PAC have already pulled out SAAFL wouldn't want an 8 team comp!

Doesn't sound good what happened in that game but obviously nothing has come out of it as that is was weeks ago??

Think you will find that this is up tonight
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Bulls forever » Wed May 24, 2017 9:42 am

Not condoning this idiots behaviour at all, apparently he has more suspensions from MFC that Brereton had during his career. Can any club stop any random just turning up and shouting abuse. JT took action immediately it was brought to his attention, I cannot fathom what else he could have done. I haven't missed a Hawks game in 8 years and haven't heard, seen anything unusual, I do sit in the outer so just maybe I need to be closer to the action.
So we have now, with this penalty Modbury playing 6 away games in a row to accomodate ROC's. Potentially a $20k day, into a 1k collection from the BBQ, we have the second biggest sporting event in the north east this year moved, who can forget how good the initial TTG / MFC clash was at Perti, now the league have robbed an entire sporting community of the return game.

If someone can tell me how this sanction by the league is going to help JT keep a clean office let me know? He has busted his boiler, with other committee members to establish the credentials of MFC, a club with a small budget, developing their kids to play our great game. I've seen the club in A1 to A4 and the support has always been the same, the banter between the scoreboard boys and opposition players a highlight.

FFS work with MFC to clean up randoms that spoil it for everyone else, don't penalise an entire sporting community of an event that might not happen again for a number of years.
Bulls forever
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby Sass! » Wed May 24, 2017 9:51 am

Trader wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Yes, the article certainly indicated that would be the case.

Will the league charge a gate fee, and will that keep a number of fans away?

Being a local debry, we usually get thousands to this game and many players, supporters and even members of local council and government all get together for a drink after the game and usually hang around long into the night.. its a huge blow..

and in relation to the supporter that made the abusive comments, he was spoken to immediately after the incident by the sporting club president, players and a match day official.. and i beleive he received a lengthy if not indefinite ban from the club altogether.. and this isnt some bloke who comes to the occassional game, its someone who has been around the club for 20+ years and in better times was well respected for his constant volunteering and contribution.. to say that he would be feeling this alot right now would be an understatement but it was the right decision by the club, althought it seem to have been ignored by the League in some respects.

Also, Bulls Forever, youve summed the entire thing up perfectly..
Sass!
Under 16s

Postby jo172 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:52 am

The point above would be a bit stronger if it wasn't the 4th incident in 14 months.

Modbury would have to be the unluckiest Club in the Country to have so many significant incidents in such a short period of time, all of which dealing with people outside their control.

In any event, with the amended affiliation agreement model the League's been pretty clear that it's working towards a model of collective responsibility for club disciplinary breaches for a long time and it would appear to be clearly working.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Sass! » Wed May 24, 2017 10:09 am

jo172 wrote:The point above would be a bit stronger if it wasn't the 4th incident in 14 months.

Modbury would have to be the unluckiest Club in the Country to have so many significant incidents in such a short period of time, all of which dealing with people outside their control.

In any event, with the amended affiliation agreement model the League's been pretty clear that it's working towards a model of collective responsibility for club disciplinary breaches for a long time and it would appear to be clearly working.

If you think that four individual incidents by 4 indivduals (1 with absolutely nothing to do with our club) over the space of 1 and a half seasons fits into the cataegory of "so many" then you are ignorant. When you regularly get a couple of thousand people to your home games, it is impossible for our club members and officials to ensrue that not one person steps out of line for a single moment, despite an enormous effort by our committee to do so.
Sass!
Under 16s

Postby jo172 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:12 am

Sass! wrote:
jo172 wrote:The point above would be a bit stronger if it wasn't the 4th incident in 14 months.

If you think that four individual incidents by 4 indivduals (1 with absolutely nothing to do with our club) over the space of 1 and a half seasons fits into the cataegory of "so many" then you are ignorant. When you regularly get a couple of thousand people to your home games, it is impossible for our club members and officials to ensrue that not one person steps out of line for a single moment, despite an enormous effort by our committee to do so.

So it's not possible for Modbury to provide an environment comprising what the League views as a safe workspace for Umpires and Visiting teams?

I'm not sure that would be a wise concession to make.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Sass! » Wed May 24, 2017 10:20 am

jo172 wrote:
Sass! wrote:

So it's not possible for Modbury to provide an environment comprising what the League views as a safe workspace for Umpires and Visiting teams?

I'm not sure that would be a wise concession to make.

Oh its certainly possible.. and with about 15 to 20 games played on our ground every weekend, id say our percentage for provding that safe environment is incredibly high and almost close to perfect.

Anyway, its a non-issue.. the league has made their call and we will live with it, learn from it and move on.
Sass!
Under 16s

Postby jo172 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:22 am

Sass! wrote:

Sass! wrote: Oh its certainly possible
jo172
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League