The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:34 am

morell wrote:I feel for the Port supporters that haven't been able to move on, must be very sad to be so bitter. You can't help negativity I suppose!

The Port Adelaide I grew up supporting was always looking to be the best, always looking for the ultimate success, was constantly striving to be the most successful senior football club in the land. To do that, we had to move to the best competition in the land. It was a natural and entirely understandable progression. Port Adelaide are playing in the AFL, so to those Magpie fans, come along to a Power game, just try it. See how you go.

Now, I have put up with a lot in this thread of late, bit of name calling and stirring up is fine as I understand that most are merely misguided and perhaps a bit naive - so I do tend to poke fun and perhaps offer a little bit of brevity.

But. For the admin of a site called "safooty" to state things like this:

raped then destroyed by a soulless franchise created solely for plastic fans.

Is beyond the pale.

1. To use sexual assault as analogous to football comings and goings is honestly pretty disgusting. Go **** yourself.
2. You are not a Port Adelaide member or supporter, you don't get to tell us where our soul is. Go **** yourself.
3. Come and stand on the hill and tell me and my mates that we're soulless fans. All of us have been supporters for decades. Go **** yourself.
4. Your meager attempts at a false and revisionist history to undermine the Port Adelaide Football Club does nothing to hide your obvious resentment. You just come across as a sad old flog. Go **** yourself.

The above is why I loathe so many SANFL people. Instead of being respectful and engaging with fellow football people, Port or not, you blatantly alienate and ostracise. I'm the perfect candidate to go to SANFL games. I'm soon to retire from local footy, I'll have spare time, I like football, maybe I would come along to more and more games, but this above just makes me want the entire league and it's clubs to wither and die.

That sort of pissant state league level bullshit is really whats hold your league back. You're specifically and actively reducing your market. People hear dudes talk like that about the clubs they love (AFL) and figure the SANFL is only for the old school die hards - so why would they bother? Forget about the AFL Reserves. I'd start focusing on this attitude and public relations as the first and easiest problem to solve.

Again.. John Farnham they are calling you ;)
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby morell » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:36 am

I never retired!

3 knee reconstructions just meant people thought I did haha
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:29 am

Booney wrote:
therisingblues wrote:It is a sign of my respect for the Magpies and those supporters that have been alienated by the Power's take over that I do not forget that they are probably suffering more than I.
But hey, you speak for ALL Port supporters and I obviously have no idea about human nature whatsoever, as there is only one type of Port supporter. YOU, right?

I would suggest I'm more reflective of the average Port Adelaide fan than morrel, for instance. Morrel is, for mine, a little more "right wing" in terms of his thoughts on the matter. Not many Port people I know are as definitive in their thoughts as he is. His call.

I've posted numerous times the loss I've felt since the Magpies became our AFL players SANFL base, only posted some weeks ago that my "We exist to win premierships" shirt is no longer true, it hurts, but it's the price we have paid to be on the national stage. From Alberton to the world. That's not something new to my posting on the matter.

So, yes, those of us who feel that way are indeed suffering more than you, however, many of us choose to feel good about the AFL side, the Adelaide Oval in full flight, China etc etc than sit and reflect, morosely, about what might have been. What it is, is what it is.

I think you'll also find many of the Magpies who felt truly alienated ( many of them Magpies players from the 80's/90's ) are coming around to the feeling of the unified club. It's either that or, in my view, be a piss weak supporter and just walk away.

Well I am glad to see that I am not totally wrong in my assessment of the Port situation. I am also glad to see that you harbour some empathy for your the Magpies of old.
Just to underline a point that has been made numerous times however, this debate is about the impact of the reserves in the SANFL. The Power and the Crows existing in the AFL is another matter altogether. Your old Magpies still enjoyed one of the best followings in the SANFL before they were made a Power zombie, the sudden drop in their crowds reflects disenchantment with that development however, while illustrating that the Magpies could still be healthy even with a big half-brother in the AFL.

I could relate to Morrell's stance that he is a Port follower above all, and when they made the leap to the AFL, he went with them. He also made it clear that he spoke for himself. I cannot argue with that, who knows what decision I would have made had it been my team that made that leap.
I cannot relate to some of the shite he has posted since then. This whole "compromise" for the good of the masses would read a little better had he some perspective. The fact that he hates the SANFL and hasn't attended a game since 1998 spells out pretty plainly that he has no idea about what would be good for the SANFL, so it is ridiculous that he is pushing a "compromise" that most of the SANFL faithful understand is killing the league.

Anyway Booney, I hear what you are saying. But I think there will always be those Magpies that have an allegiance other than the Power, and I am sure a good percentage of them lay at the core of the Magpies supporter base prior to 2014.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:34 am

therisingblues wrote:"who knows what decision I would have made had it been my team that made that leap."

And how much would you resent people telling you what decision they think you should have made?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:35 am

morell wrote:I feel for the Port supporters that haven't been able to move on, must be very sad to be so bitter. You can't help negativity I suppose!

The Port Adelaide I grew up supporting was always looking to be the best, always looking for the ultimate success, was constantly striving to be the most successful senior football club in the land. To do that, we had to move to the best competition in the land. It was a natural and entirely understandable progression. Port Adelaide are playing in the AFL, so to those Magpie fans, come along to a Power game, just try it. See how you go.

Now, I have put up with a lot in this thread of late, bit of name calling and stirring up is fine as I understand that most are merely misguided and perhaps a bit naive - so I do tend to poke fun and perhaps offer a little bit of brevity.

But. For the admin of a site called "safooty" to state things like this:

raped then destroyed by a soulless franchise created solely for plastic fans.

Is beyond the pale.

1. To use sexual assault as analogous to football comings and goings is honestly pretty disgusting. Go **** yourself.
2. You are not a Port Adelaide member or supporter, you don't get to tell us where our soul is. Go **** yourself.
3. Come and stand on the hill and tell me and my mates that we're soulless fans. All of us have been supporters for decades. Go **** yourself.
4. Your meager attempts at a false and revisionist history to undermine the Port Adelaide Football Club does nothing to hide your obvious resentment. You just come across as a sad old flog. Go **** yourself.

The above is why I loathe so many SANFL people. Instead of being respectful and engaging with fellow football people, Port or not, you blatantly alienate and ostracise. I'm the perfect candidate to go to SANFL games. I'm soon to retire from local footy, I'll have spare time, I like football, maybe I would come along to more and more games, but this above just makes me want the entire league and it's clubs to wither and die.

That sort of pissant state league level bullshit is really whats hold your league back. You're specifically and actively reducing your market. People hear dudes talk like that about the clubs they love (AFL) and figure the SANFL is only for the old school die hards - so why would they bother? Forget about the AFL Reserves. I'd start focusing on this attitude and public relations as the first and easiest problem to solve.

But aside from all that, you can have your thread back. All the best.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Please let this be your last post Morrell. It would be the best cameo exit this thread has had.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:38 am

Booney wrote:
therisingblues wrote:"who knows what decision I would have made had it been my team that made that leap."

And how much would you resent people telling you what decision they think you should have made?

Pretty pissed off I imagine. But I would be speaking for myself.
I would then be backing away from supporting a reserve entry by our senior side into the SANFL. These are clearly two separate issues.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:56 am

therisingblues wrote:
Booney wrote:

Pretty pissed off I imagine. But I would be speaking for myself.
I would then be backing away from supporting a reserve entry by our senior side into the SANFL. These are clearly two separate issues.

I attend three or four Alberton Oval games per year ( it's walking distance from home ).

I won't, however, in the context of the above question and response, be judging people who continue to go to Magpies games home and away. Nor should anyone else for that matter.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:53 pm

How would Port fans feel if there was a National Reserves comp and Port Power reserves went and played in that and the Magpies stayed in the SANFL?

Would take a while for them to re-establish themselves in the SANFL with players etc.

That would be a great result for the league IMO.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:How would Port fans feel if there was a National Reserves comp and Port Power reserves went and played in that and the Magpies stayed in the SANFL?

Would take a while for them to re-establish themselves in the SANFL with players etc.

It would come down to funding. Would be a fair amount of work to then also have to re-establish zones, an u/16 & u/18s side, as well as find another 20-25 league standard players to be competitive as well..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:How would Port fans feel if there was a National Reserves comp and Port Power reserves went and played in that and the Magpies stayed in the SANFL?

I can't see how this could possibly happen. If there is ( which I doubt ) an AFL reserves league set up that will end the Port Adelaide Football Clubs presence in the SANFL, for good.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:09 pm

If there is a desire and will by the PAFC then it could and should occur.

If it gets to this stage then the league would have been dumbed down to a pretty low level anyway which will make the barriers much less than they would have been.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Hazydog » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Booney wrote:

I can't see how this could possibly happen. If there is ( which I doubt ) an AFL reserves league set up that will end the Port Adelaide Football Clubs presence in the SANFL, for good.

I think most of us agree that once Port entered the AFL, their presence in the SANFL should have ceased (and from memory that was Port's preferred option.) Again we reflect on the incompetence of the SANFL administrators who insisted they remain as an entity in the SANFL, but were shunted out to Ethelton.

I agree -IF an AFL reserve Comp was introduced - it would be goodbye for good. But that's not happening any time soon.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Rising Power » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Magpie crowds would halve.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Hazydog wrote:
Booney wrote:

I think most of us agree that once Port entered the AFL, their presence in the SANFL should have ceased (and from memory that was Port's preferred option.) Again we reflect on the incompetence of the SANFL administrators who insisted they remain as an entity in the SANFL, but were shunted out to Ethelton.

I agree -IF an AFL reserve Comp was introduced - it would be goodbye for good. But that's not happening any time soon.

The sharks won't smell this blood in the water, wasn't posted by the Port-faithful so it will go through to the 'keeper.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Booney wrote:
Hazydog wrote:
Booney wrote:

The sharks won't smell this blood in the water, wasn't posted by the Port-faithful so it will go through to the 'keeper.

Not really, I think most of us agree the main people at fault for the current state of affairs are the SANFL administrators, the 6 delegates and the Crows lies. In fact I don't lay any blame with Port for the current state of the SANFL, they went about things quietly and quite intelligently to address their agenda IMHO.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Rising Power wrote:Magpie crowds would halve.

Could possibly increase if you bring back a traditional Magpie SANFL team.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Wolf Pack » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:26 pm

To see guys like Luke Reynolds and Sharrad running around in the reserves is unreal.
They would be first picked for Westies at the moment.
I guess playing league for Westies at the moment wouldn't be very enticing :D
Wolf Pack
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Rising Power » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:45 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Rising Power wrote:Magpie crowds would halve.

Could possibly increase if you bring back a traditional Magpie SANFL team.

Maybe. The over 45's who knew and loved the old system and a few random youngsters (extending from family/friends of players) might come back/remain but there would be a significant number of the under 45's who would rather follow the Power reserves in the national reserves system in a 'time poor' world. Then there's the issue of talent drain.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Are you saying that half of the current Magpies crowd is simply there to observe the Power players?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Dutchy wrote:Are you saying that half of the current Magpies crowd is simply there to observe the Power players?

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL